Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Dean Stefan (part 2 of 2) - Episode 006 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Dean Stefan (part 2 of 2) - Episode 006 Discussion!

Episode 006 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First we discuss listener e-mail.

After that, we cover a couple more bios. This time, Man-at-Arms and Tri-Klops.

Then we plunge into the second half of our two-part interview with Dean Stefan, story editor and writer on the 2002 MYP Masters of the Universe cartoon!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 006

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Can't wait to listen!

As an aside, thank you for having only people on your podcast that can contribute to the discussion. There are some podcasts that have people on that contribute nothing.

I've started looking forward to the weekly Roast Gooble more than many of my bodybuilding podcasts...so that's saying something!

Keep up the great work!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

There's a lot of podcasts out there like that.
    But I think all the MOTU podcasts thus far have been really good... well, maybe not us.
    MastersCast & Chronicles and really good.
    We're... well, I dunno what we are... but we're having fun.

Evil Apologist of Mattelฎ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Yes, looks like this is Roast Gooble Lunch rather than Dinner.

Thank you!

Edit: wow I like the new beginning beat you got goin on there. (along with the wasted talk to start it up lol)
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLลวK FLุWหRŠ!!!!

We have about eight different intro/exit songs.
    They'll start recycling here soon.
    But, they've all been different thus far.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Call me out, Val!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

You do so much by helping add news to the main page, I'd feel bad calling you out.

To Val, Emil, and others...
    What I meant was that the spell used by Hordak's wizards was the thing that trapped the Horde in Despondos. Not the dimension itself. In otherwords, Hordak was sending Grayskull there to be trapped via magic in another realm that would keep Grayskull out of Hordak's "hair". The Despondos dimension itself isn't necessarily hard to get in and out of, but the magics used by the Horde wizards were prison bindings that kept those who where sent there in the dimension.

And until Hordak was able to get someone outside Despondos to break those magical bindings that were used on them at the time, he couldn't cross back over.

I hope this helps explain my thoughts better, whether or not you like/agree with it.

Oh and LOVE the Gooble! Bring on more!
    Last edited by Bulkhide; June 23, 2010 at 02:28pm.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You do so much by helping add news to the main page, I'd feel bad calling you out.
    While I'm hunting for screencaps, I could fill in some sections in the 200X encyclopedia section.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Loving the new music, guys. Keep up the great work!

• Ugh. Horde Prime. I've always hated him because he basically turned Hordak into a branch manager. I'm more of a fan of Hordak leading the Horde and answering to no one.

• I think the two centuries line is supposed to be for timeline placement. The bios are supposed to be pieced together.

• Great point about The Sorceress and Duncan teaming up to make crazy powerful devices like the mystic wall and the techno sword. I think science and magic shouldn't mix, but MOTU always managed to make it work...like the Talon Fighter's space and time powers or computers in Castle Grayskull. However that was ancient tech.

I guess it all boils down to Duncan being a very overpowered character in the terms of what he can create.

• SCOPE! LOL!

• Is Tri-Klops the first really good bio??

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    While discussing Bulkhides' email, Pixel Dan’s impression of Hordak “I don’t know how I got here, but I think I’ll take it over” kinda sounded like W. to me.. haha.. Does Hec-Tor Kur have a Texan accent in MOTUC?!

Good custom art choice this week. I just saw Mike Bock’s untold stories last week. I love the filmation looking characters with MYP backgrounds.. It looks amazing.

I agree with Val as far as preferring Dekker to Carnivus. For whatever reason, as far as 200X original characters, Dekker always stood out in my head. Maybe it’s because of Emiliano’s reasoning that he filled a gap without changing anything. But as far as original characters go on the 200X side.. Dekker’s the best, IMO.

I did hear Dean mention New Adventures. It would have been neat if you could have asked if they had planned to use any of the New Adventures characters later down the line in the MYP series if it was able to continue.

Also, I’ve always wondered why the MYP series used Count Marzo and Evil Seed from Filmation. Characters like Mekanek and Man-E-Faces had toys, so it was pretty much expected to see those guys.. but how did the people working on MYP even know about Marzo and Evil Seed!?

Those are two possible questions to use later down the line.. feel free to clean 'em up a little.! haha.. thanks.

• I love Dean's perspective on things as someone who didn't grow up watching Filmation...he saw things without rose-colored glasses.

The nostalgia thing was very on point. Some fans don't look at stuff with their mentality today, but their mentality from childhood. As the polar opposite, it's usually a frustrating thing for me as most fans can't see where I'm coming from.

• How come it's okay for Filmation to invent races, but it's taboo for MYP?

• I loved the analogy about Queen Marlena being from Earth. You get immersed in Middle Earth, and all of it's various people and places...and then you meet a guy from Boston.

• So that's why Trap Jaw was so bad-ass in MVP...

• Do a special Roost Gooble Dinner that night after the new reveals!!!!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    • Do a special Roost Gooble Dinner that night after the new reveals!!!!
    I agree!!

How come it's okay for Filmation to invent races, but it's taboo for MYP?
    I don't think anyone has a problem with MYP introducing all-new creatures like the Speleans or the Kulataks.

What I disliked was the concept that Clawful & Whiplash are just members of a species, with nothing remarkable about them to set them apart from the rest of their kind.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; June 23, 2010 at 08:20pm.

I'm not fond of all the races, actually.
    I don't think every creature needs one.
    Even as a kid, I didn't like the concept of bee people and bird people in Filmation either.

I like the idea of each character being special.
    That being said, if they all DID come from races? I'd be more inclined to like it if the characters in MOTU were all the special "chosen ones" from their races, with special powers unmatched by anyone else.

I just like the idea of each character being a Master of the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I don't think anyone has a problem with MYP introducing all-new creatures like the Speleans or the Kulataks.

What I disliked was the concept that Clawful & Whiplash are just members of a species, with nothing remarkable about them to set them apart from the rest of their kind.
    Even as a kid, I didn't like the concept of bee people and bird people in Filmation either.

That being said, if they all DID come from races? I'd be more inclined to like it if the characters in MOTU were all the special "chosen ones" from their races, with special powers unmatched by anyone else.

That's what I'd prefer.

That the actual MOTU character were the best of his race to BE a Master of the Universe, possessing unique powers and capabilities compared to the other members of those races. I hated it when Clawful and Whiplash were actually pretty corny compared to other members of their races.

I 2nd that. Now there's something I'm sure most of us will agree on.

Also agree that Tri-Klops has a pretty damn good real name and bio. Definitely one of their best ones by far.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLลวK FLุWหRŠ!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I 2nd that. Now there's something I'm sure most of us will agree on.

Also agree that Tri-Klops has a pretty damn good real name and bio. Definitely one of their best ones by far.
    You agree with me? What have you done with the true Count Marzo!!

You agree with me? What have you done with the true Count Marzo!!
    Well we definitely have our very different tastes when it comes to MOTU. But that's the fun in it to me. I'm sure I probably blow your mind with my posts as much as you do mine.

Or maybe I'm not thinking clearly today due to lack of sleep, earthquakes, and whatever leftover Eternia Flowers I have.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLลวK FLุWหRŠ!!!!

He's sniffing the black flowers again, that's why he's agreeing with you.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Just because Hordak's bio says that he was "born second heir to the Horde Empire" (or however it was worded) doesn't mean that he hasn't already killed Big Brother by the time we meet him.

I like to think of it that way, I like Hordak as the LEADER...and this would make him even more vile.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

A big fan of Slush Head
    Another awesome episode guys! I love to listen to the show while I am working.
    Thanks for the plug dudes!

BTW what was the number again? I was going to leave a voice mail last week but lost the phone number.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I'm waiting for you to be interviewed for you coloring work in the comics industry only to have someone bring up this quote and totally take it out of context.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    BTW what was the number again? I was going to leave a voice mail last week but lost the phone number.
    (310) 933-5993

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'm waiting for you to be interviewed for you coloring work in the comics industry only to have someone bring up this quote and totally take it out of context.
    Actually, I have a history of coloring people as black, hispanic or asian who are drawn white, because some artists always draw way too many white people.