Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

Hadn't seen a post on this, so wasn't sure people were aware of it. Being a long time watched of Scooby Doo I always check out the new shows they are putting out, the last few haven't been anything special. This one seems to be the best one they have put out in some time. It's set up with a story arc going on in the background of something that has happened in the past, but for the most part each episode is self contained. The animation does seem to be flash based but I can look past that. There is just that other shocking bit, but that has grown on me (don't want to spoil that for those who haven't seen it yet).

Comes on Monday nights on Cartoon Network, last night chapter 6 was shown.

edit

There have been lots of cameos from other Hanna Barbera cartoons and earlier Scooby shoes, examples Don Knots, Pebbles and Bam Bam, in the next episode the Hex Girls (with what looks like Daphne being their lead singer) are set to appear.

I also like how they mix old school tech with new school, they have cell phones, yet most phones are corded rotary type, the DJ plays records, Fred is baffled by an 8 track, etc.

Preview from youtube

Last edited by wyldman11; August 17, 2010 at 12:23pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I love this show.
    It's a direct sequel to the original Scooby Doo Where Are You? show.
    I love how there is a season long story arc. I'm really dieing to see that mystery solved.
    I also like all the characters. For so long Fred, Daphne and Velma went on without clear personalities IMO, but this show defines the whole gang very well.
    The humor is great. The mysteries can also get really spooky, which I like.

All in all, one of the best Scooby Doo shows. I'm really enjoying it.
    Oh, and Matthew Lillard is a great Shaggy. A more than worthy successor to Casey Kasem.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Being a long time watcher of Scooby Doo, I always check out the new shows they are putting out, the last few haven't been anything special. This one seems to be the best one they have put out in some time. It's set up with a story arc going on in the background of something that has happened in the past, but for the most part each episode is self contained.
    This is just what I was telling my wife last night as we watched episode 6!!! HB had a good try with that Saturday morning "Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" or whatever that was, but it was sorely missing-out on the 'whole gang' vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The animation does seem to be flash based but I can look past that. There is just that other shocking bit, but that has grown on me (don't want to spoil that for those who haven't seen it yet). There have been lots of cameos from other Hanna Barbera cartoons and earlier Scooby shoes, examples Don Knots, Pebbles and Bam Bam, in the next episode the Hex Girls (with what looks like Daphne being their lead singer) are set to appear.
    I really like how the characters look. Subtle changes like Velma's bow, the exaggerated classic-body shapes, but especially the absence of whites in the human characters' eyes, just like the original toon!! As for that other shocking bit, I think it's pretty cool how they've handled it so far, lol, but definitely different & new.

We've missed a few episodes, so I've only seen the Don Knotts character, as well as Vincent Van Ghoul on a show Shag & Scoob were watching on last nights episode, that was AWESOME!!! Voice was right on as well. I wanna see Pebbles and Bam-Bam! The Creeper bit of last night's episode was cool too!

Overall, this new series ultimately kicks-ass cuz it seems to be a "true" continuation of the original series, as well as introducing a great story arc that ties each self-contained episode together, as you said. Plus, a lot of great jokes for (in my case) Mommy and Daddy, though my 1.5 year old Son seemed to get a kick out of it too, while he was playing with his toys all over the place, lol. I can't wait for Scooby-Doo to be one of his favorite cartoons!

EDIT: I'm slower than Slo-Man!! Lol, I'm at work, so it takes a while to post. Pretty much everything you just said man!
    Last edited by KalesDad; August 17, 2010 at 04:06pm.
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

This sounds great! Cant wait for dvd to check it out. Now I did grab the last direct to dvd movie which I thought was excellent. Not sure if the new Camp Scare will follow the lineage of the last one but I hope so as I preordered it!

Only saw some of the first episode didn't get into it yet the development o think you guys are talking about disturbed ne a bit lol I thought that was Matthew lillard he is a great shaggy I want to give the show a chance so o will need to find the time though
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I've seen a few episodes, I keep forgetting when it's on.

Overall it's a pretty good new Scooby show that follows the proper format instead of veering off into WTH territory like Shaggy and Scooby Get A Clue did.

It's an interesting angle to have the townsfolk not want the gang solving mysteries, though in some occasions it crosses the line of plausibility. I realize it's a comedy series and the people in charge are meant to be greedy idiots but there comes a point where you have to say, "no one would really do that!"

A prime example is a recent episode in which the creature of the week was apparently "spookifing" children turning them into demonic creatures, and the townsfolk were doing nothing to try and stop it and desperately tried to keep the gang from investigating. It be one thing if they had said, "this is too dangerous. Let us handle it." but no the whole motivation was to cash in on tours and merchandising.

Let me reiterate that: THEY WERE WILLING TO SACRIFICE CHILDREN FOR THE SAKE OF THE TOURIST TRADE!!!

The other thing I'm not liking is Velma's relationship with Shaggy. It's not that I object to these two being together it's the way Velma has been dominating and trying to control everything about Shaggy; forcing him, via painful reprimand, to stop saying "like" all the time, trying to get him to change his wardrobe, making him promise to eat less and healthier (I do like that Shaggy is back to not being a vegetarian- since that had been forced on HB in the first place)This kind of behavior just seems out of character for Velma to me.

I'm a Velma fan so I find it irksome enough that she doesn't get a lot of respect to begin with. She's a brainy girl but she's supposed to be fun loving as well. It's been established in previous continuity that the reason she likes Shaggy so much is BECAUSE he's such a carefree goofball.

I really wish I could catch up on the episodes I missed simply so I can follow the ongoing subplot with this "Mr. E" character. I'm hoping this culminates in a genuine paranormal experience. I've been saying for years that the best way to do a new Scooby show is to alternate episodes were sometimes it's a guy in a mask and sometimes it's real -keep the audience guessing.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

when I looked up the teaser, I noticed what looked like many of the episodes were up on Youtube. I didn't want to link any in case they went dead.

and the relationship is what I didn't want to spoil in the first episode. I think it's interesting nothing more, was a bit jarring at first but I have grown to shoulder shrug over it.

The spookified children was kind of weak over all, I don't even see most parents giving up that quickly. I think that would have been a case of it would have been OK for mystical idea behind the whole thing.

*edit*

new episode tonight.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I love this show! The Don Knotts character has popped up a few times in crowd scenes and I also spotted two of the girls from Charlie Chan and the Chan Clan at their high school. The sailor that works for the sea captain looks familiar. I think he reminds me of the "Shaggy stand in" on Jabberjaw or maybe he was from some different cartoon that I can't quite place.

It's so well-done! I love the Mr. E storyline. That adds depth, making it not just a kiddie show.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Yeah,

This is a great show. This is best incarnation of the characters, much better than those direct to DVDs.

I also love the fact that anyone can watch it, both adults and kids.

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but I liked what I saw--and I can't stand most Scooby Doo shows. Even 13 Ghosts, which I loved as a kid, is pretty awful. As an animation fan, I feel like I'm really getting some great shows out of CN lately. I wish they'd put these folks on a new Johnny Quest or Space Ghost though.

Heroic Warrior
    Very pleased to see a return to the normal formula AND an ongoing storyline. And some of the mysteries are actually hard to figure out (and some, alas, are way too easy. Stupid gator people...)
    CyberV... FOR VICTORY!

Check out my new comic, Death Fox, at www.whatthefluxcomics.com

I liked last nights episode. I liked they did some development in the Velma and Shaggy relationship and I don't think it's the end of it either. I liked how the way the solved the mystery was by capturing the person, their one lead went dry. I was scrambling in my mind with things like sock puppet AI.

Does anyone know if the new DVD Scooby Doo Camp Scare is in the Mysteries Inc continuity or is it the "classic" continuity?

I saw it and I would say just general continuity. And it's a good follow up to Abracadabra Doo.

***spoilers****
    One of the introduced characters has a crush on Velma, based on her's and Daphne's response this sounds like it's more the classic/general continuity.

I wrote a review of it on my blog. However, I do not have cable or TV access so I have not been able to catch up on subsequent episodes.
    So far, I like it.
    ----------------
    Creator of Spook Central Elementary
    Writer of stuff!
    . \o/ - "Hail to the king baby ! "
    .. |
    . / \

My overall opinion of the 'Scooby-Doo' franchise is a very mixed bag. Sure, I've grown up watching the various 'Scooby' shows in my life, but it's current popularity eclipsing other, better cartoon properties still baffles me. (No love for Bugs Bunny, or Fred?) While some Scooby shows are hit, or miss, I gotta say that 'Mystery Incorporated' is actually not that bad. That's quite an accomplishment considering the franchises' sorrid history of highs, and lows. It follows the basic formula, but also brings in some much needed fresh blood, because let's face it. A series starring a group of 'meddling kids', and their dog isn't the most complex idea for a cartoon series. Even if it's lasted for 40 years. 'Mystery Incorporated' takes a cue from the early DTV movies like 'Zombie Island', and 'Witches' Ghost' in tone, and character development while still leaning to the classic 'crooks in costumes' staple. Thankfully, it avoids the 'cute for the sake of cute' humor of 'What's New Scooby-Doo', and balances it with some good scary moments, and a sense of continuity. The character designs are fresh, yet retain the iconic look of the franchise quite nicely. While this probably won't be on my 'must see' list, I still enjoyed it anyway. Not bad.

I've been DVRing the show. I've liked other Scooby shows, but this is probably my favorite. It feels like a show meant for all ages and not just kids. There is some nice continuity to it. The Velma, Shaggy, & Scooby triangle is an interesting take.

I haven't finished it yet, but Scooby, Speed Buggy, Jabber Jaw, Captain Caveman, all in one episode.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I love this cartoon. By FAR my favorite incarnation of Scooby-Doo.

Love the show and love that it is the same voices as they use for the yearly movies. I also love that 42 years later Fred Jones is still Frank Welker. He's also doing double duty as Scooby-Doo. I love the animation and I love that last night's episode used the classic 60's and 70's animation for Scooby's dream. The only major team missing was Josie and the Pussycats, but they'll probably get their own episode.
    What, no Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids?
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I hadn't watched Scooby since I was a kid but I happen to come across this one night several months. I was impressed by the animation, the stories, the dialogue, and the humor. It really showed how it was possible to take a stale, formulaic decades old premise and breathe new life into it. I hope this series is around for a long time.

Last night's episode had Scooby, and the gang meeting the other mystery solving teams (Including Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, and The Funky Phantom) in a dream sequence. This was such A fun episode, and I really enjoyed how Scooby had to work with the other mascot characters to find their respected teen companions. While Scooby, and the gang have teamed up with Speed Buggy in the past, I never thought I would ever see them together with the other mystery solving teams. Great episode.
    Last edited by mbaker; May 4, 2011 at 06:09pm.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I stopped watching for a while because I hated the direction they were going with Velma but I caught the last episode with the big Hanna Barbara mystery solver team up. I noticed when Scooby woke up Velma was being nice to him again so have they made up and are things back on track?
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Shaggy choose Scooby, Velma was still kind of getting over it. This episode is more along the lines of a filler episode. Basically a good way to start the season off because if you missed the episode you didn't miss any story line. But for a filler episode it was very good.

Wow, must have missed this thread when it was posted originally 'cause I HATE Scooby Doo. However...this show looks watchable! That'll make it the first watchable Scooby Doo since...ever! I think I only watched the original show back in the day 'cause it was a cartoon and kids were supposed to watch it. Honestly though, it was annoying and at one point I realized that I couldn't stand it and just stopped.

I'll have to try and catch this, though! Velma looks like she's got a bit of sarcasm going there, and the animation is nice. Did they inject some real humor into this, finally?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.