Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 013 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 013 Discussion!

Episode 013 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra. Emiliano Santalucia is off this week.

First we discuss the recent news about Mattel no longer producing 200x alternate heads in MOTUC.

After that, we cover a couple SDCC figure reveals. This time, Battle Armor Skeletor and the King Grayskull reissue.

A few highlights of the show:
    • 200x Grizzlor's collar!
    • King Grayskull cotton balls!
    • a 5 minute tangent about vampires!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 013

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Awesome, Gooble back to weekly!

Poor Eamon is digging that hole even deeper, just so the She-Ravers can lob stones down at him better.

So glad you guys discussed the 200X head controversy. I honestly don't grasp why they'd make that decision. It's like they actively distrust the 4H to do things "right" (Adam's scabbard comes to mind here too). Also kudos on you for calling the "hyper anime" term BS. Which it is.

Val's secret Monster High affection revealed!

And again you nailed my feelings about the 200X vehicles.

Hoping for a return to bios commentaries next week?

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Eamon, I'm in the pit with you...I'll absorb a few She-Ra fans' stones for ya!

Desperately praying for very few POP toys...I'd almost rather have NA!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Love for the Spitbull?

That was one of the few 200x pieces I never owned, the sticky missile actually sounds awesome!
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    the sticky missile actually sounds awesome!
    Bazinga!
    Bill :: guitargod694

I think we'll still get characters like Evil-Lyn and Evilseed from 2002.

Anyhow, random thought...and I sort of touched upon this in another thread...

Since POP hasn't had the same benefits as MOTU over the years, I think Mattel should continue making tons of POP females in MOTUC even if they turn out to be complete failures in the sales department. Maybe there should even be a special budget set aside just for POP characters.

Great episode guys. Eamon's voices crack me up, the Italian, Mer-Man etc
    I must agree 200x had some bad vehicles, I was glad when they introduced the Wind Raider. I did also like the Bashin Beetle, didn't mind the chariot, Battle hawk and Terrodactyl either but thought the Attack Squid, War whale, Spit Bull and Dragon Walker were really bad.

The collar on the Grizzlor station also made me think that at some point Hordak kept him chained up, perhaps before he was brainwashed when Hordak first captured him, UK comics kid

Loved the vampires bit, have you guys scene the South Park episode about the vampires fad?

I agree the King Grayskull repaint is a bit bright and cartoony like Santa Clause. I like the colours they just need to be toned down a bit, maybe look a bit worn and dirty.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    So yeah, I'm chair dancing a little to the intro music right now...

Good call on the non-anime stuff, Val. I totally agree. 200X is stylised, but not anime/manga.
    I think it has more in common with grafitti art and vinyl collectable culture in terms of art and design style. Just my opinion.

Also, double good call for Val (he's on fire this week - the beard gives him power) on True Blood. It is sooooo bad. Vampires need to be banned in all media for at least 10 years to rest the genre.

EDIT:

Loves me some Angel and Buffy though. Been rewatching both recently. Angel was the better show, but wouldn't be as strong without Buffy coming before it. The Angel episode 'I Will Remember You' is one my my fave tv eps of all time.
    Last edited by Minion; August 20, 2010 at 12:10pm.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    * I thought I was the only one who came straight home and in total exhaustion wouldn't stop until his figures were at home on the shelf.

* I honestly don't understand why people are so fascinated with Twilight. I only watch them because it's creepy how they parallel my own love life. But the passing out from excitement and getting the actor's faces tattooed on their bodies, I do not understand. I've tried reading the books, but I can't get into them... and surprisingly, friends who have read them say the movies are so much better, unlike most adaptations.

* I wouldn't doubt Mattel is going to make their 200X inspired variants which is why they aren't making the extra pack in heads. I love Whiplash, but the 200X head didn't look right on the body. On a different body, it would look perfect. And thus, certain figures might call for a totally new sculpt, within reason of not being too 'hyper anime'. lol
    Last edited by Jon-O; August 20, 2010 at 04:45pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

great podcast guys ...

i'm gonna jump straight to it, i'm really not bothered about the loss of the 200x heads in motuc - i'm here for vintage, that's how motuc was sold to me (before i found out it was ''all-encompassing'' - or at least was supposed to be ...) ... the reason why i'm here is because of the vintage toys/cartoons i loved as a kid ... i understand a lot of fans were also fans of the 200x series, as well as pop and na, but the main selling point of this line, to me, is that it is based around 'classic', 'vintage' and 'nostalgic' themes - no doubt ... this is how mattel sold this to me and this is why they are now getting hundreds of pounds from me! ...

on the subject of the brief movie figures discussion - WHEN ARE WE GETTING THE FRANK LANGELLA SKELETOR AND THE DOLPH LUNDGREN HE-MAN?!?!?!?! ... ... seriously though, i would love this to happen 'officially' one day - but, i live in hope ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Great show.

The gold comment is getting a bit annoying though.
    Who says it is supposed to be gold anyway? The old toys and filmation were more orange / brass colored.

Bows armour could just as well be copper or a copper alloy.
    Why assume it is 24 kt gold, one of the heaviest and softest metals?!?

It sounds like you cant find anything else to complain about.

Bow is awesome. I will display him on a stack of skulls holding mosquitors bloody mask.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; August 20, 2010 at 07:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Bow is awesome. I will display him on a stack of skulls holding mosquitors bloody mask.
    Hahaha... awesome!
    Bill :: guitargod694

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Okay after listening to that vampire tangent I think you guys need to watch this.

"How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

The gold comment is getting a bit annoying though.
    Who says it is supposed to be gold anyway? The old toys and filmation were more orange / brass colored.

Bows armour could just as well be copper or a copper alloy.
    Why assume it is 24 kt gold, one of the heaviest and softest metals?!?
    QFT

This whole argument about the golden color is pretty silly.

I mean there's no way that a BOW made of GOLD - of all things - could work. Or armor. Even if it were leaf gold. It HAS to be something different. Maybe Eternum or Magicium or Unobtainium. *g*

Man-At-Arms's ORANGE armor on the other hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Man-At-Arms's ORANGE armor on the other hand ...
    Hey now, Carrotanium is a perfectly good metal to make armor!

Me not happy bout Grizzlor's 200X head situation.....
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

It sounds like you cant find anything else to complain about.
    Who are you directing this to?
    I have no problems with the gold.

I loved the ideas for Bow's backstory because he is the character I,m most looking forward to currently, but In my opinion I think Bow is probably a gay character. Think about it he hung around with all those lovely ladies and never really macked once. Seahawk got all of Adora's love and Bow seemed more like a good friend or brother to the girls. It would explain the heart and gold outfit no gay man would be caught dead in peace or war without a flashy fashion. Queer Eye for the Etherian Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Who are you directing this to?
    I have no problems with the gold.
    No, Eamon. But he was a bit reluctant to start talking about it again
    I think he absolutely LOVES Bow.
    But the same kidvoice in him that says "got .. To .. Have .. Vikor" is also saying " Bow is for girls. Don't say you like him. "

Just had another thought about Grizzlor's collar, what if its an enchanted collar that keeps Grizzlor under Hordak's control, maybe even something similar to the collar in the movie.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

No, Eamon. But he was a bit reluctant to start talking about it again
    I think he absolutely LOVES Bow.
    But the same kidvoice in him that says "got .. To .. Have .. Vikor" is also saying " Bow is for girls. Don't say you like him. "
    I don't like Bow.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I don't like Bow.
    That is fine. Whats the reason? Please don't say the gold colour..

That is fine. Whats the reason? Please don't say the gold colour..
    Honestly, it's the whole presentation of him and his "look." I feel the same with He-Ro. I think Bow's face (the MOTUC version) is nice. The outfit, however, is ridiculous, as is the heart and harp. He-Ro looks like a Backstreet Boy to me and that's not the "look" of MOTU I grew up on. As far as I'm concerned, He-Ro isn't part of the MOTU lore since he was never even produced and just a concept (even if he was hinted at in one of the mini-comics). I'm also not a fan of POP or NA, so that doesn't help. She-Ra looks out of place to me next to Teela and Evil-Lyn.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela