Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 013 Discussion!

I agree with that. They look different in that way. So do the NA figures. Optikk looks off too, mostly because of the colour. I guess the difference will always be visible, even sharing the Classics style.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    - Haha, I like this intro music the best out of them all so far! It's got some energy to it!

- Upstate NY huh? About 3 hours away from the big city? Still another good 3-4 hours from my hood then. Hope you enjoyed your stay around these parts!

- Don't see the big deal with Bow. So what if he wears gold, it doesn't have to be real expensive gold or anything. I'm really curious to see his bio though. Bow's never been in anything except for Filmation POP and some of those POP mini comics. I can't wait to see how they fit him in. Maybe it will explain more, perhaps something similar to the theories talked about. Although I doubt it since they don't really go into THAT much detail in the bios. Yet another reason for mini comics!

- The extra 200x heads don't really bother me any. I'm sure I've stated my opinion on it in the many threads that exploded on the issue. It's no big deal to me really since the 200x heads probably wouldnt look right on these more vintage based bodies anyways. Like Whiplashes 200x head on this Classics vintage-inspired body...just doesn't look right. Although I'd hate to see anything cut back on MOTUC even if I don't really care for the 200x heads, so it is a shame. They better keep SOME 200x inspired details and accessories though, otherwise I'll feel totally ripped. Especially considering the things we've gotten so far.

- The 200x line isn't technically "hyper anime". However, around that time when the cartoon came out that was the trend. (thanks pokemon!). The 200x cartoon had hints of Japanimation tendencies injected into it. That's probably why they call 200x "hyper anime detail". But it really isn't that much. He-Man has somewhat spikey hair, the angular chiseled musclular bodies which are waaay less beefier than what MOTU was, and like Eamon mentioned the oversized weapons/accessories. Those aspects were on the actual figures, the cartoon had those flashy pokemon backgrounds, overexaggerated flipping and weapon spinning in fight scenes, etc... there was more "anime" in the cartoon than the figures. I think they are one in the same to Mattel, so that's probably why they coined that term that we all joke about nearly every day on here. Anime Hyper Detail. Or is it Hyper Anime Detail?

-I'm a huge Filmation fan. It's probably the main reason for me being the extremely huge MOTU/POP fan that I am. Lizard Man is rather obscure, I agree. Most of the Filmation characters that I want in figure form are from POP rather than MOTU, although there is a few from MOTU that I would LOVE to see the Four Horsemen update with awesomeness into MOTUC. I think it's about time I bump that one thread Toyguru started about which Filmation characters we would want in MOTUC if possible, since I did quite a few screenshots of some of my favorites recently.

- I don't watch much new tv or see new movies anymore because it all annoys me. I feel like a grumpy old man when it comes to that stuff. So blah to that stupid embarassing vampire trend. Vampires are supposed to be cool, not embarassingly terrible like that Twilight crap. I tend to boycott most popular trends/fads though. That's just me.

- Can't complain about BA Skeletor! Easy for them to do, hard for them to get wrong. It's a win/win situation on that one. The King Grayskull reissue, I'm actually a little excited for. They took a character/figure that I really can't stand at all and made him quite a bit more worthwhile to me. Especially with that AWESOME PoG sticker and his better color scheme and amazing accessories. Still hate the idea of him though! Gonna be annoyed if I have to buy He-Ro and Tytus again for that sweet PoG sticker in the future! That's the problem with being mostly a MOC collector.

- Agree with Pixel Dan on the Battle Ram Chariot. That's the only 200x vehicle that I really, REALLY liked. Even though I have a Battle Hawk and Terrordactyl hanging over my computer desk with 200x He-Man and Skeletor flying them. Agree on the animals first, vehicles second thing too. It sure did seem like they said Whale, Squid, etc... THEN decided to make them into vehicles. I'd also like to throw in that it REALLY annoys me when people say Filmation was a 30 minute toy commercial, when 200x was far worse with all those vehicles and variants they stuffed into each episode week after week.

- Pixel Dan, that's hilarious about the kid that found you. Any chance that is the same kid that was on the latest TNTS Fan Corner with that youtube video response? That was hilarious too by the way!

Another fun entertaining episode guys, keep up the great work! Sorry for the lengthy response, but I'm a huge fan! My Sony Walkman thingy is gettin pretty full of MOTU-related podcasts and Pixel Dan review videos.
    Last edited by Count Marzo; August 21, 2010 at 01:40pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Honestly, it's the whole presentation of him and his "look." I feel the same with He-Ro. I think Bow's face (the MOTUC version) is nice. The outfit, however, is ridiculous, as is the heart and harp.
    As we read between the lines. In short, Don't like Bow cause of his costume! You think it looks.. how to put it. A certain way.

He-Ro looks like a Backstreet Boy to me and that's not the "look" of MOTU I grew up on.
    Again, reading between the lines. I don't like He-Ro cause he looks well The same as Bow.

As far as I'm concerned, He-Ro isn't part of the MOTU lore since he was never even produced and just a concept (even if he was hinted at in one of the mini-comics).
    But He-Ro is part of MOTU lore. He was made into prototype. But the line was canceled before he went into production and released.

I'm also not a fan of POP or NA, so that doesn't help. She-Ra looks out of place to me next to Teela and Evil-Lyn.
    Well, we all know how you feel about POP and the characters that belong to it. As I said above regarding Bow. And She-Ra doesn't look out of place next to Teela. They come from 2 different worlds. Where there are many different styles of dress. Just cause She-Ra's is more simplistic doesn't make her look out of place. As for NA, you probably think of it like you do with POP.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post

Well, we all know how you feel about POP and the characters that belong to it. As I said above regarding Bow. And She-Ra doesn't look out of place next to Teela. They come from 2 different worlds. Where there are many different styles of dress. Just cause She-Ra's is more simplistic doesn't make her look out of place. As for NA, you probably think of it like you do with POP.
    She-Ra's isn't more simplistic. If anything, I'd say she's more, well, princess-y and glittery and fluffier. I dislike NA for different reasons than POP. I love the vintage mini-comic and card-art aesthetic, and I do like Filmation just as much, but I split ways when POP and NA entered (enters) the fray. I view POP and NA as related to MOTU, but not MOTU--that is the vintage line to me, the one I grew up with. Teela and Evil-Lyn look like bad-ass, female warriors I'd think twice about fighting. She-Ra, on the other hand, wouldn't intimidate me in the slightest, only I wouldn't mind messing with her, for sure.
    Last edited by RockinHard; August 21, 2010 at 04:33pm.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Hmm. Honestly I like Bow and He-Ro being the token pretty boys (uh, outside of Adam) because we have the rugged look covered pretty well by people like Vikor, MAA, Clamp Champ, Rio Blast, and Fisto. It's just funny to me that on Etheria, the only guys left are all the foppish looking ones that the Horde overlooked (or that Catra wanted to save for later, the saucy minx). And basically I like this variety in the line way better.

Interesting theory about the gold on Bow. I just thought he was like the last knight of the round table or something and wears a traditional and well recognized gold armor as a symbol of the "golden" age before the Horde. Either way, I agree the way to play is that there's something symbolic about the costume--as seems to be the case with She-Ra's gold too. In his first appearance in the cartoon Bow was shown with a hood and cloak to blend in as the Laughing Swan Inn, and he sort of reveals his normal costume when he stands up to save Adam from abusive Horde troopers. I think for part of MOTUC, it's great contrast to have an Errol Flynn/Fandral the Dashing kind of guy amongst all the Conanesque warriors too. Yeah there's a Rohan horse lord thing going on with him, but he's like Legolas hanging out with all these brutish warriors (hence the archery, he's not a broadsword kind of guy). It's a great odd coupling. It's even kind of funny if he is wearing all that gold just to show off. Maybe he just knows it looks good and eff-you if you don't like it. What could be more manly than that?

I can't exactly fault Bow for the exposed abdomen when most of the evil warriors are doing the same thing. Seems like only characters with a lot of nerve, like He-Man, will test fate with that choice.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Oh no! I've been exiled by Eamon for knowing about the Bow theory so I make this post at my own risk!

Another very entertaining episode guys. I really enjoyed it.

* Re: the Bow backstory theory - IIRC, Emiliano mentioned there were elements of Robin Hood and 'The Prince and the Pauper' - i.e. Bow greatly resembled the nobleman whose identity he assumed. I thought it was a cool mix of elements from what he described.

* As for the vampires, I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to such things. I have only watched a little bit of 'True Blood' and 'Twilight' (10 minutes maybe) and I just couldn't get into that stuff. Maybe one day I'll at least try 'True Blood' again, but it doesn't sound like my thing. Give me Dracula, Nosferatu and Barnabas Collins any day...er...night. THOSE are the vampires I dig. I liked 'Buffy' and 'Angel' a lot too actually. Being rather curmudgeonly I didn't think I would enjoy those shows, but friends kept insisting I give them a chance. I wound up loving both series.

~Penny~
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I liked Twilight and am actually reading the last book right now.
    I think the new approach on vampires. It is original. I like the Wherewolves too. I also liked the fresh idea that dracula was Judas in Dracula 2000.

I guess it is all about allowing to look at something with fresh eyes and don't be stuck in your ways.

But then again, looking at the boards a lot of He-fans cant let go of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I also liked the fresh idea that dracula was Judas in Dracula 2000.
    I liked that idea as well.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

What the--? Why do sucky vampires keep hijacking MOTU? The only vampires we should be interested in are Skeletor by way of Frank Langella!

SORRY!

Gooble diner started though, LOL!

I liked Twilight and am actually reading the last book right now.
    I think the new approach on vampires. It is original. I like the Wherewolves too. I also liked the fresh idea that dracula was Judas in Dracula 2000.

I guess it is all about allowing to look at something with fresh eyes and don't be stuck in your ways.

But then again, looking at the boards a lot of He-fans cant let go of the past.
    Your lack of smileys and the sarcastic statement at the end of your post make it sound like you're upset that some fans don't agree with your position on Twilight.

It's better to agree to disagree on what we like or don't like.
    If you love Twilight, then love it up!
    Based on what I've heard, it's not my thing though. True Blood isn't my thing, after all. But kudos to those who dig it. I'm not here to try and rob ya of your joy.

A suggestion and a question!

Suggestion:
    Maybe the show could have all the contact information (emails and phone number) and links presented in the episode on a webpage? If not on the libsyn page, maybe there could be dedicated page here at he-man.org? Spelled URLs are especially difficult for foreign listeners and can't imagine them being too practical for natives English speakers as well.

Question:
    I have only used Skype between users. You give out a number to call to leave a voice mail at the end of the show. Can it be reached with Skype without paying? I know Skype allows you to call landlines with separate paying deal.

Thanks for the good and entertaining show, please keep up the good work!

This is a serious question because I'm very curious.
    If anyone listening has a hard time understanding the URLs we give out, even when we spell them,
    how the you listen to and enjoy the podcast at all? Wouldn't our normal dialog be extremely hard to follow?

If you miss a word you can still understand the sentence, but if you miss a letter from URL it don't work. Ofcourse you can always repeat a podcast, but sometimes you still might not make out every letter/word.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Eamon, totally agree with everything you said this show

SIDE-TRACK:-------------------------------------------------

TRUE BLOOD = awesome.

It's so bad it's good... but the story is fun and it's hot... the men AND the women.

I'm pretty sure Pam is my favorite character right now lol.

The acting in Twilight = horrible... I hate the celebration of the actors in these movies because they are atrocious
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I really want to listen to this one -I have never heard any before, I ignored the threads cos I had no idea what a gooble is (still dont!!!).

But Val mentioned it in the Monster High thread so I wanna hear his thoughts on MH, but I really dont want to hear Eamonn slamming POP (I dont read his posts anymore)!

Decisions decisions!!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Your lack of smileys and the sarcastic statement at the end of your post make it sound like you're upset that some fans don't agree with your position on Twilight.

It's better to agree to disagree on what we like or don't like.
    If you love Twilight, then love it up!
    Based on what I've heard, it's not my thing though. True Blood isn't my thing, after all. But kudos to those who dig it. I'm not here to try and rob ya of your joy.
    Hi Val,

Do I sound upset? That wasn't my intention. I just stated my opinion and observations.
    I didn't use any smileys because the last time I was called passive aggressive when I used them.
    I mostly post using my Iphone and I guess the and can tick people off when used too often. So I guess I am in a loose/ loose situation, (on a computer now)
    I try using as much I think/ I like/ I guess in my post to point out I am speaking just for me. IMO and IMHO every sentence gets annoying too after a while.

And yes, bcrduke, the acting sucks.
    But the created 'universe' is okay to me. The books are better too.

Done with the vampires!

meant with no underlying meaning..

EDIT:
    I just saw the Gooble dinner Episode 01 thread zombied back to life. Gooble dinner started May 16th.. Man, Time flies.
    Congratulations on 3 months of awesomeness.
    Keep it up!
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; August 23, 2010 at 04:22am.

I just saw the Gooble dinner Episode 01 thread zombied back to life. Gooble dinner started May 16th.. Man, Time flies.
    Congratulations on 3 months of awesomeness.
    Keep it up!
    We're chuggin' along!
    The show is a welcome distraction for me each week. I look forward to recording every time.
    Fortunately, enough of you care enough to listen to us babble each week.

So Eterniandreams is giving me hard time about my comment on Bow but likes Twilight. Hmmmm.....
    I don't think I need to say anything else.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    So Eterniandreams is giving me hard time about my comment on Bow but likes Twilight. Hmmmm.....
    I don't think I need to say anything else.
    Watch it, Eamon. Ireland is only a easyjet flight away from the Netherlands 55 Euros... I will comeover and read the books to you. Poking Pigeons and Bagpipes will not keep me away!

And he isn't a Goth. He has white skin, that is it.. Michael Jackson wasn't a Goth either. or a vampire... I hope...
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; August 23, 2010 at 08:42am.

Chewer of Trollans
    Lots of vampire stuff taking over the discussion today...

Bashin Beetle rocked. I loved the look of the wheels and the engine under the wings. The rest of the vehicles... meh. Then again, I've always been a vehicle minimalist. Can't wait for the MOTUC Battle Ram though. And a wind raider please.

I like the discussion and theories regarding Bow. I almost like the character now.

I can't wait until next week (I hope) when you guys get back into the format of discussing bios and answering listener questions. It's getting a little loose.

Val, I share your dislike of glittery blue power swords. I don't display He-Ro with his sword and my King Grayskull reissue will be sporting the 200X Power Sword from the weapons pack.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    This is a serious question because I'm very curious.
    If anyone listening has a hard time understanding the URLs we give out, even when we spell them,
    how the you listen to and enjoy the podcast at all? Wouldn't our normal dialog be extremely hard to follow?
    I am sorry if the suggestion doesn't sound logical to you JVS3. Maybe I expressed myself a bit poorly, so please let me try to explain myself better.

If the URL isn't as simple as mattel.com, it can be hard to catch it at the first hearing, especially if it isn't a real word. Now spelling helps, that is why a lot of podcast do it, but it is easier for us non-natives to make mistakes. Sometimes certain letters sound similar other letters in other languages and you forget for a split second you trying to listen how it is said in English. I am not saying one makes these mistakes every time or every other time. How often it happens really depends on person to person, but I do think it has happened to even the best of us. And annoying thing about the internet is that if you write the URL incorrectly you might end up to a very bad site if you are very unlucky.

If we forget language, I do think the basic problem is that when you listen something like a podcast, you do not typically sit keyboard ready to catch the URL (or individual letters).

But let me just add that I do not think this is a big issue, so lets not take this out of portions. I thought I was just being helpful to be honest, and URLs + phone number in written form would be additional value to the fans.

I hope this explains what I was trying to say to you JVS3. I would hate to leave a wrong impression to you, especially as I do honestly enjoy the show. If you can, please spare a quick a reply, so I know you know what I mean.

Also thanks to Tuukka for helping out.

PS. Was the Skype question simply as I presumed, or am I not getting something as no one is replying to it (usually a sign that the question is bad or uninteresting).
    Last edited by Invicta; August 23, 2010 at 05:16pm.

I would hate to leave a wrong impression to you, especially as I do honestly enjoy the show.
    ...all I did was ask.

For the URLs we mention in the Fansite of the week, they are all here in the Links section of the forum.
    Check 'em out!

For other links, I don't want to commit to making a crib sheet every week, as I know I'll forget along with all the other stuff I have to do.
    But if any other fan wants to do it after I post the discussion thread, by all means please do! I'd be honored!

If you want to send us comments, questions, etc, please send in an e-mail to the show at the address we have on the show! (gooble at he-man.org) You don't have to call and leave a voicemail.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Listening to it now . . .

Hmm, I thought everyone knew about Grizzlor's collar!

At the time, a pretty big deal was made about trying to find all of the "Easter Eggs" that the 4H hid on the Stactions, and to my knowledge, not all of them have been discovered yet!