Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 128 Discussion

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 128 Discussion

Episode 128 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Nate Baertsch are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    Couches,
    Holidays,
    MOTUC 2015 & 2016,
    mini-sub,
    2.0 figures,
    rebranding,
    2016 picks,
    Toy Fair,
    Matty mascot,
    Grayskull box,
    Power-Con gun fire,
    new He-Man comic,
    She-Ra and licensing,
    Rob David,
    Jeff Wadlow and the movie,
    iron cross,
    second chances in film,
    She-Ra,
    Tweeterhead busts,
    Icon Heroes,
    Dark Horse art book,
    keeping the brand alive,
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on January 6, 2014
    Runtime: 1 hour, 11 minutes, 22 seconds

Direct link for Episode 128

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Heroic Warrior
    Can't wait!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Ah, it was over too quick!

Great job, guys! Thoroughly entertaining as usual!
    MASS REJECTION ~ FRESH MEAT is coming www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Ah, it was over too quick!

Great job, guys! Thoroughly entertaining as usual!

totally agree. I can't wait to hear the discussion on ToyFair 2015.

Heroic Warrior
    Man i have been listening to these things from the beginning.

To put my two cents in about how he-man should look in the movie, i hope they do keep the iron cross top (which is what i think they were talking about), i think they can modify it to look appropriate for today's times.

Example, maybe sorta like skeletors looks on the action figure without the shouder pads.

If that makes any sense. i am listening to this late night and i figured id comment, although i am half asleep.

Glad to know i am not the only He-Fan out there, Night guys

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Thanks you guys for the pod cast. Look forward to hearing more ep.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Nice of you guys to weigh in on the 2016 Debate: Obscures vs. Variants. Both sides of the argument have their points:

Fans of the obscure figures want new characters. They already have the main characters and don't wish to buy them again. They bad thing about the obscure characters is that they are coming out last for a reason...all of the major toyline selling characters are done. This is the cherry on top, when the cake has been eaten. Whether the 2.0 figures or variants would be better than the originals is completely subjective to the individual fan. Some of these fans want all of the slots maximized for new characters, while others merely don't want the variants in with the Obscure characters (i.e., a Variant subscription or a bunch of non-subscription figures on Matty).

OTOH, Variant fans not only want their preferred versions of certain characters, but they also think that using the main characters the franchise revolves around will help the obscure characters sell. Selling the main characters again is a gateway for potential new fans (but even this is an argument...some of the fans of obscure characters don't think there are any new fans--that we are all there is. The variant fans want to at least try to get some new blood collecting the line).

Seeing the comics getting some focus is pretty good too. Abnett is doing a pretty good job! I wish some of the designs would revert back to recognizable ones.

I can see the point about the Iron Cross, but that's He-Man's symbol. Why can't something positive take a negative symbol and turn it around?

And the whole fear of He-Man's lack of pants? Mattel shouldn't turn He-Man into something that he's not. If one isn't into muscular men wearing furry loincloths then CONAN The Barbarian just isn't going to be their movie. He-Man is the same principle.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

So no one guessed the 200x sub being at TF

New episodes of RGD and The Geek Easy in one day
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Nice of you guys to weigh in on the 2016 Debate: Obscures vs. Variants. Both sides of the argument have their points:

Fans of the obscure figures want new characters. They already have the main characters and don't wish to buy them again. They bad thing about the obscure characters is that they are coming out last for a reason...all of the major toyline selling characters are done. This is the cherry on top, when the cake has been eaten. Whether the 2.0 figures or variants would be better than the originals is completely subjective to the individual fan. Some of these fans want all of the slots maximized for new characters, while others merely don't want the variants in with the Obscure characters (i.e., a Variant subscription or a bunch of non-subscription figures on Matty).

OTOH, Variant fans not only want their preferred versions of certain characters, but they also think that using the main characters the franchise revolves around will help the obscure characters sell. Selling the main characters again is a gateway for potential new fans (but even this is an argument...some of the fans of obscure characters don't think there are any new fans--that we are all there is. The variant fans want to at least try to get some new blood collecting the line).
    Excellent and fair analysis of the debate.

I have to admit, I almost felt like I was in the room with them, as they made points I had raised and argued with them.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Just Listenin! Finally!
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

And the whole fear of He-Man's lack of pants? Mattel shouldn't turn He-Man into something that he's not. If one isn't into muscular men wearing furry loincloths then CONAN The Barbarian just isn't going to be their movie. He-Man is the same principle.
    Absolutely. I simply don't understand why Hollywood seems so afraid to show bare-legged characters on screen (and i've seen a similar trend in modern comics too). It's not just male characters either, as the likes of Wonder Woman & Ms. Marvel's costumes have been redesigned in recent years too, probably in an attempt to make them more "movie friendly".

Wrestling fans have no problem with what Triple H wears when he's in the ring, which is even less than He-Man does, and i'll bet that an audience who are willing to go and see a He-Man movie would expect a barbarian to wear a loincloth, not a pair of slacks.

I enjoyed this as I dusted off and re-set some of my shelves of figures this afternoon. And then I sat down and read the What Lies Within trade. If a new MOTU movie took its cues from the DC comics (can't believe I'm even suggesting this, as I struggled with the various new costumes since DC started putting the new comics out!), and He-Man sported a power vest with a stylized H that resembled the Zoar icon... they could have something pretty cool-looking in a live action film right there! I've grown to really like (not love, but really like) He-Man's pants but do prefer him shirtless with the power vest (wasn't really into the chunk of issues where it looked like the power vest was laid over that football armor). So if a new movie sports a DC-like He-Man redesign, especially atop that Battle Cat the DeVon tweeted recently... I mean, no one can argue that THAT particular He-Man and Battle Cat would fail on the silver screen. It would look pretty bad-ass, I wouldn't miss the iron cross one bit, and I think general audiences would see that pairing and think "Oh wow- He-Man looks really good!" I'm not saying it will make a bazillion bucks, but it would find an audience and I don't think the fair-weather fan will be too upset about He-Man not having furry underwear and a cross on his chest armor. If He-Man in a new movie DOES sport a classic outfit, I certainly wouldn't complain and I think there's a way to make that work in a film as well... I just think that a redesign, if done well and even if it shed a little of what came before in favor of something new, could do the film some good and isn't a reason for concern.
    Last edited by zodak74; March 4, 2015 at 08:03pm.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Just finished listening to this.

I vote for the iron cross! To me, that was unique to He-Man. It's the coloring that makes it different. Plus, does He-Man really have blue eyes? I always thought they were black. So I'm not seeing anything there that mimics those labels. (I do like the Battle Armor "H" as a backup option.)

Having a moral lesson at the end of the new MOTU movie credits would be awesome, lol!

2016 should not give up on obscure wanted characters. The die-hards are the subbers. I really hope Mattel keeps the Classics style going in some form for many years giving us those remaining missing pieces. The tooling is there for it.

I like the squinting theory
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; March 5, 2015 at 05:14pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the best approach for 2016 is to abandon the 12 month sub model, and just go with 2-3 mini-subs in 2016. Announce 1 at SDCC (Jan-Jun), 1 at NYCC (Apr-Sep) and one at NYTF (Jul-Dec) next year. They could do exactly what they did with 200x and show us 2-3 figs, and tell us who the rest are.

Example:
    Club Filmation II
    Lord Masque
    Granita
    Dylamug (Probably a deluxe figure)
    General Sunder
    Kittrina
    Hawke / Delora (1 body, 2 heads)
    Admiral Scurvy
    Exclusive - Trollan 3-pack (Montork,Dree Elle & Yuckers/Squuge (1 body, 2 heads))
    Beast - Clawdeen

That's atleast as good a lineup as the 200x sub.

You can follow that up with a Club Horde sub, and maybe a 200x variants sub.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfanar View Post
    I think the best approach for 2016 is to abandon the 12 month sub model, and just go with 2-3 mini-subs in 2016. Announce 1 at SDCC (Jan-Jun), 1 at NYCC (Apr-Sep) and one at NYTF (Jul-Dec) next year. They could do exactly what they did with 200x and show us 2-3 figs, and tell us who the rest are.

Example:
    Club Filmation II
    Lord Masque
    Granita
    Dylamug (Probably a deluxe figure)
    General Sunder
    Kittrina
    Hawke / Delora (1 body, 2 heads)
    Admiral Scurvy
    Exclusive - Trollan 3-pack (Montork,Dree Elle & Yuckers/Squuge (1 body, 2 heads))
    Beast - Clawdeen

That's atleast as good a lineup as the 200x sub.

You can follow that up with a Club Horde sub, and maybe a 200x variants sub.
    You SAY Filmation, but aside from 3 of 9 choices, you mean PoP.......
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    You SAY Filmation, but aside from 3 of 9 choices, you mean PoP.......
    Masque, Kittrina, the three Trollans. , Hawke....that would be 6 Filmation Masters. Then 4 Filmation pop and a vintage/Filmation beast. I would say that would be a fair lineup and not PoP biased.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Masque, Kittrina, the three Trollans. , Hawke....that would be 6 Filmation Masters. Then 4 Filmation pop and a vintage/Filmation beast. I would say that would be a fair lineup and not PoP biased.
    The 3 Trollans are a single slot. I thought Kittrina was PoP. Clawdeen is PoP. Sorry, we're getting into the level of obscurity where I'm not really so familiar with every character.

So, 4 MOTU slots, 6 PoP, including a PoP beast? When 6 of 10 slots are PoP, one might as well go ahead and make PoP II.

(Not to mention that the 4 MOTU slots are pretty darn PoPpy themselves!)
    Last edited by No-Ah; March 5, 2015 at 06:44pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    (Not to mention that the 4 MOTU slots are pretty darn PoPpy themselves!)
    Depends on whether you consider Horde = POP

The real point was to offer several smaller, themed mini-subs instead of big 12 month subs. Here are a couple other examples:

Horde Sub
    Vultak (Filmation)
    Hunga the Harpy (Filmation)
    Horde Wraith (200x cartoon)
    Horde Mummy (vintage MOTU concept)
    Horde Mammoth Man (vintage MOTU concept)
    Colonel Blast (Filmation)
    Multipack - Horde Invaders (3-Pack)
    Exclusive - Despara (New 52 DC comic)

OR

200X Variant Sub
    Sorceress
    Captain Randor
    Ice Armor He-Man
    Prince Adam & Orko
    Teela
    Battle Armour Marlena
    Multipack - Tuvar & Baddhra
    Exclusive - Odiphus & elderly/small Marzo

Awesome, new stuff, so i can listen to something good while painting.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfanar View Post
    Depends on whether you consider Horde = POP
    Yes, Horde is PoP.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Absolutely. I simply don't understand why Hollywood seems so afraid to show bare-legged characters on screen (and i've seen a similar trend in modern comics too). It's not just male characters either, as the likes of Wonder Woman & Ms. Marvel's costumes have been redesigned in recent years too, probably in an attempt to make them more "movie friendly".
    Comics are changing women characters' costumes up so that they'll better appeal to female readers. But I'd rather the comics make new female characters to appeal to female readers like Spider-Gwen, Kamala Khan or Silk than change Psylocke, Jessica Drew or Captain Marvel's iconic costumes.

But in general, I think people are afraid of characters showing skin now. This is the age of the battlesuit. That's why He-Man was wearing that Iron Man-like battlesuit it the comics before he lost his shirt.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Great job, it was a good listen.

Pick 12 obscure characters for 2016, I could easily pick 25 original characters that I would love to have.

I am right with you Danielle, about Sharella. She would look great alongside He-Ro and Eldor. If the POG line had of been developed, she most likely would have been the first female. She was mentioned several times in the He-Ro and Eldor back stories. Although we never did get an official design for her, like many others, I would like to think that was her on the Magator box art. Who wouldn’t want a female archer in the line?
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, Lodar, Hunga the Harpy, Sharella & Snake Goddess

FILMATION ruined my He-Man!

Comics are changing women characters' costumes up so that they'll better appeal to female readers. But I'd rather the comics make new female characters to appeal to female readers like Spider-Gwen, Kamala Khan or Silk than change Psylocke, Jessica Drew or Captain Marvel's iconic costumes.

But in general, I think people are afraid of characters showing skin now. This is the age of the battlesuit. That's why He-Man was wearing that Iron Man-like battlesuit it the comics before he lost his shirt.
    I'm not sure that covering characters up makes them more appealing. She-Ra and Wonder Woman had plenty of female (and male) fans before, why change their designs now? I still think it's down to the comic companies attempting to create outfits that actors will be more willing to wear in a movie, or perhaps ensure that movie going audiences who decide to try the comics will recognise the characters. There are exceptions (like Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique), but most comic heroines outfits do tend to be altered a lot for film.