Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late to the party, starting a collection, what should I get?

Late to the party, starting a collection, what should I get?

Hi everyone

I just started collecting the Motu classics line and I love it =)

I realize that Iím a bit late to the party and therefore I would like to ask you guys here for some input on how to start my collection.

Short background; I grew up with the Filmation Tv-series and toys (both He-man and She-Ra) and that is pretty much all I know and care about in regards to the Motu- franchise, sure Iíve seen a couple of episodes of the 200x series and read some of the old comics but all in all Iím in this for the Filmation nostalgia.

I have no intention of getting a complete collection of the classics line, instead my goal is to collect the core characters I remember and love (or perhaps owned as a kid).

Right now Iím going for these characters:
    He-man
    Prince Adam
    Teela
    Man at arms
    Orko
    Sorceress
    Stratos
    She-ra
    Kowl
    Bow
    Battle cat
    Swift wind

Skeletor
    Beast man
    Trap-jaw
    Evil-lyn
    Tri-clops
    Mer-man
    Hordak
    Panthor

Bonus: Castle Grayskull (OMG my wallet!)

My questions:
    Any general tips for me as a new collector?
    Going for Filmation accuracy are there any specific versions I should look for?
    What about third party heads and add-ons?
    Are there characters that I should just give up (due to cost or rarity)?
    The line seems to be finished soon, is it still worth it?

What do you guys think? =)

I would say right now due to prices give up on Beast Man, Red head Teela, Sorceress each calling for 100+ on 2nd Market the other would have to price. Swiftwind and Battlecat will be on sale tomorrow from Mattycollector.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    If you want main characters and dont want to fork out heavy dollars then your best to wait until July (SDCC) and see the line up of next years new line, you would have to think he-man and skeletor would have newly re-designed figures but still maintaining the classics buck. Good luck with your hunt.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Only you will know if having this collection will be worth the time and money you put into it. For some it's something that they'll treasure the rest of their lives, while for others they'll sell most or all when the line ends. If you do decide to get into them, then here's my initial advice:

Decide if you want the figures brand new, often called MOC (mint on card) or if you're okay with loose (which can be in any condition, but have been opened).

You can monitor the marketplace here, as well as other places like ebay, and look for larger lots. Especially here, sellers will sometimes give better prices if you buy multiple figures at the same time (especially if someone's selling their collection and you can buy 5, 10 or even more). So I'd save up and wait for the right opportunity. Also, there's talk of possibly another PowerCon He-Man convention on the West Coast in 2016, if that happens then there will be some sellers who should have at least a few of these.

In the meantime though, Battle Cat will be in the "Beasts of Burden" sale this Friday, and She-Ra is currently an "evergreen" item and available every day unless/until they decide to pull her and/or she sells out. If she's available this Friday too (which should be the case) then I'd buy them both to save on shipping. There's also a Man-At-Arms that comes with the Battle Ram. You may not want that version of him, and the Battle Ram is expensive, but you might as well take a look at it and if he works well enough for you, then maybe get that too:

http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/s...0#.VUIA3CiZ6BI

He-Man was an evergreen item for a long time, and could return, even if only briefly, but no one knows for sure. In the same way, Mattel occasionally sells 1-3 older figures every month. There's a slim chance that one that you need might show up, but a bit of a better one at Black Friday/Cyber Monday time. Those sales can be tough to get more in demand characters, but they sometimes do appear.

If I were you, and you decide to collect these, then I'd look at some sites that show what the characters look like. Most only have one version, but a few don't, and imo it's best to go with whichever one you like the most. Also Orko & Prince Adam come packaged together, so you might think of them as one purchase, as they almost certainly would be.

So if you go ahead then I'd say buy what you can on Friday with She-Ra & Battle Cat, and then familiarize yourself with the rest, determine exactly which versions of certain characters you want that have different versions, and then develop a plan for getting them, with whatever mixture of patience, luck and strategy (buying the more expensive ones first or least expensive ones, waiting for what goes on sale or buying asap, etc.) that you can come up with.

You need to check resellers and auction sites to get some of those:
    Be ready to break your achy breaky wallet in some cases like Teela or Beastman... and Swift Wind.
    AFAIK Swift Wind has sold out from Mattycollector and he's expensive on the secondary market.

If you're going for Filmation Accuracy, you need Etherian Invasion Hordak and get 2 Man-at-Arms figures *(The standard MAA for the Mustache head and the Battle Ram MAA for the Filmation body... which can be a bit expensive.)

there's a rumor about a Filmation Teela coming with the Point Dread playset. So you may have to wait a little bit on the Teela hunt... roughly until SDCC where we'll get the official info on that rumor.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    You can also check the Marketplace forums and see if other members are selling these figures.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Welcome to collecting MOTUC! I also started relatively late in 2012 and it took me about two years to get caught up on everything.

For reference, feel free to check out the Unofficial MOTUC Price Guide...I recently updated it about a month ago, so most of the prices are still somewhat accurate.

According to the guide, the list of figures that you want would cost $1,250 if you bought them individually on eBay at their average prices. Castle Grayskull would probably be another $380. With this established as a worst-case baseline, let's look at your questions and concerns...

1. Tips: Collecting loose is cheaper. Also, picking up large lots of figures at once will get you some nice deals. Look through the Marketplace here, a lot of fellow collectors can help you out. For the more expensive figures, like Sorceress, Beast Man, and Teela, patience is the key. After a while, decent deals pop up and you don't have to pay top dollar.

2. Filmation Accuracy: Right now may actually be a very good time for this. Now that MOTUC will be over soon, it looks likely that 2016 will bring back some main characters as Filmation variants. We already saw a teaser for a Filmation Teela. If this direction continues, it's fair to guess that Filmation versions of He-Man, Skeletor, and Beast Man are a possibility.

3. Third Party Heads/Add-Ons: I like Evil Mike's and He-Bro's custom work, just do a quick search for "MOTUC Shapeways". I'd recommend a proper Filmation-Styled Power Sword...It will be cheaper to get a custom one than getting the MOTUC figure (Flogg?) that has the official version, which came out a bit off. Personally, I like the pure silver Power Sword that came with Castle Grayskull.

4. Characters to give up on? Again, just have patience and pick your spots. With MOTUC being finished at the end of this year, it's possible that prices will start dropping as more collectors get rid of, or streamline, their collections. Also, it will be interesting to see the latest news from SDCC this July to see if more Filmation variants will be made soon.

5. Is it worth it? I think so. MOTUC is the only line that I'm all-in on...I also collect WWE figures consistently but I'm starting to get pickier with those purchases. MOTUC is pricier than most other toy lines out there but considering the quality of the sculpts, depth of characters, and figure scale, I feel that these figures are among the best values out there today. I've bought a couple of Japanese imports and recent Transformers that were more expensive and yet, felt cheaper in quality than a standard MOTUC figure.

I hope this helps!
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Haven't read the replies so this may have been covered, but Mattel has hinted at re-imagining the line, and based on their past attempts to do that with other properties, they will likely reproduce all of the major players, so you may want to at least wait until after SDCC 2015 when they will presumably announce their plans since SDCC reveals usually extend into the following year.

Thanks for all the great input guys =)

It seems that I might have gotten into this at exactly the right time, with beasts of burden sale tomorrow and the fact that there might be a filmation focus for the line going forward.

As it stands I now already own, He-man, Skeletor and She-Ra with Evil-Lyn and SDCC Hordak on the way.

I had intended to look/ for more figures on ebay and such but thanks to all the input I might wait a bit and see what’s in store for the line after SDCC.

Again many thanks for all the great responses.

Heroic Warrior
    Welcome aboard.I got into the MOTU game late too back in 2010.Though with a lot of the reissues I was able to catch up.
    Last edited by cryanmchsi; April 30, 2015 at 07:11pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phr0g View Post
    Late to the party, starting a collection, what should I get?
    Lots and lots of money...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Lots and lots of money...
    LOL!

I think I will like it here

Quote Originally Posted by Morbebanur View Post
    I would say right now due to prices give up on Beast Man, Red head Teela, Sorceress each calling for 100+ on 2nd Market the other would have to price. Swiftwind and Battlecat will be on sale tomorrow from Mattycollector.
    swiftwind will not be part of the Beasts of Burden sale

Wait it out til SDCC if you want Filmation versions of the core characters, as it sounds like the 2.0s will be Filmation influenced. I'd start with toys like Battlecat, Swiftwind, She-Ra, Orko etc... that have already been released Filmation styled.
    My top 10 items I'd like for 2016: 10/Stridor, 9/Granita, 8/Vultak 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 5/Filmation Teela, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Evil Lyn 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Yeah, I think we will see a few Filmation 2.0's next year.

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Wait it out til SDCC if you want Filmation versions of the core characters, as it sounds like the 2.0s will be Filmation influenced. I'd start with toys like Battlecat, Swiftwind, She-Ra, Orko etc... that have already been released Filmation styled.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Yeah, I think we will see a few Filmation 2.0's next year.
    Yeah it definitely sounds like I need to exercise some patience and see what SDCC brings for the future, I’m still hoping to be able to pick up battlecat on the sale tomorrow though
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    E. B. White

Fortunately Mattel made more than enough product to meet demand, so you should have no problem tracking down everything you want and at a reasonable price.

Check out The Erotic Adventures of Buck Thruster! (Space Captain) on Amazon Kindle!

Quote Originally Posted by Phr0g View Post
    Hi everyone

I just started collecting the Motu classics line and I love it =)

I realize that I’m a bit late to the party and therefore I would like to ask you guys here for some input on how to start my collection.

Short background; I grew up with the Filmation Tv-series and toys (both He-man and She-Ra) and that is pretty much all I know and care about in regards to the Motu- franchise, sure I’ve seen a couple of episodes of the 200x series and read some of the old comics but all in all I’m in this for the Filmation nostalgia.

I have no intention of getting a complete collection of the classics line, instead my goal is to collect the core characters I remember and love (or perhaps owned as a kid).

Right now I’m going for these characters:
    He-man
    Prince Adam
    Teela
    Man at arms
    Orko
    Sorceress
    Stratos
    She-ra
    Kowl
    Bow
    Battle cat
    Swift wind

Skeletor
    Beast man
    Trap-jaw
    Evil-lyn
    Tri-clops
    Mer-man
    Hordak
    Panthor

Bonus: Castle Grayskull (OMG my wallet!)

My questions:
    Any general tips for me as a new collector?
    Going for Filmation accuracy are there any specific versions I should look for?
    What about third party heads and add-ons?
    Are there characters that I should just give up (due to cost or rarity)?
    The line seems to be finished soon, is it still worth it?

What do you guys think? =)
    Like you, when I first discovered this line, I just wanted the A-Listers. Then I bought Draego-Man. I very quickly got into the whole line and a lot of characters I had never heard of before.

Let me warn you, this stuff is addictive! You are going to very quickly expand your list of what you want. It's too late to sub directly for 2015, but I would very seriously consider talking to some of the other members here and seeing if you can make an arrangement for the rest of the year. MOTU-Maniac and yodafreakmaster, for starters, buy tonnes of subs, so you might consider PMing them, or seeing who else in the marketplace would be willing to make an arrangement with you.

Today, you might not see the point in Blast-Attack or Multi-Bot, but you soon will!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Like you, when I first discovered this line, I just wanted the A-Listers. Then I bought Draego-Man. I very quickly got into the whole line and a lot of characters I had never heard of before.

Let me warn you, this stuff is addictive! You are going to very quickly expand your list of what you want. It's too late to sub directly for 2015, but I would very seriously consider talking to some of the other members here and seeing if you can make an arrangement for the rest of the year. MOTU-Maniac and yodafreakmaster, for starters, buy tonnes of subs, so you might consider PMing them, or seeing who else in the marketplace would be willing to make an arrangement with you.

Today, you might not see the point in Blast-Attack or Multi-Bot, but you soon will!
    I can totally relate to what you’re saying and on some level I have already thought about maybe expanding to getting “just a few” other characters that are not part of my a-list, we’ll see if perseverance will triumph over desire in the end =P

The fact is that MOTU-Maniac already shot me a pm asking if I was interested in getting a few of the upcoming figures from him, I was tempted but declined...for now =P

Question though, I only have a standard g-mail account so I am unable to see the marketplace, is this a permanent restriction?
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    E. B. White

Yeah, I wouldn't bother hunting down Teela ��

If you're looking for Filmation stuff:

Eternos Palace King Randor
    Queen Marlena (or Captain Glenn; both come with parts to make Queen Marlena)
    Kowl & Loo-Kee
    Icer
    Shokoti
    Octavia
    Batros
    Fang Man
    Catra
    Scorpia
    Frosta
    Castaspella
    Netossa
    Sweet Bee
    Sea Hawk
    Glimmer
    Angella
    Orko & Prince Adam (2-pack)
    Hover Robots
    Nepthu
    Plundor
    Strong-Or (Strong Arm)
    Shadow Weaver (super expensive)
    Swift Wind (super expensive)
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter, Prahvus, Veena, King Chooblah, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Snake Mountain, Filmation Variants, Roton, and all the other POP & NA characters.

The sooner you realize you'll be going after all characters the easier it will be to collect the series. I was originally against collecting POP but soon changed gears b/c I knew the completist bug would hit and I didn't want to go for second hand prices. Get ready to spend lots of money.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Also, each year Mattycollector has a big sale for cyber Monday, after Black Friday… In November.

Sometimes the discounts for as deep as a whole 20%! (Sarcasm)
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter, Prahvus, Veena, King Chooblah, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Snake Mountain, Filmation Variants, Roton, and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by hoover View Post
    The sooner you realize you'll be going after all characters the easier it will be to collect the series. I was originally against collecting POP but soon changed gears b/c I knew the completist bug would hit and I didn't want to go for second hand prices. Get ready to spend lots of money.
    Yeah, this is exactly what I'm trying to say. These things tend to quickly go up in price.

In 6 months you're going to look back and wish you'd grabbed everything when it only cost retail. Yes, a few figures do drop in price. But most of them do tend to go up, some of them dramatically!

In the beginning, I just wanted the Castle, and maybe 8-10 figures to put in it!

I would consider taking MOTU_Maniac, or someone else, up on an offer to indirectly sub. You'll look back and see that it was a bargain verses catching up once you understand how much you want all of the figures you let slip past.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

It will be tough starting late because as others said the price of most of these figures are expensive. I suggest starting with the one you really want and go from there. If you want to eventually collect them all start with the least expensive or what is offered at MattyCollector. I am a completist and have two of everything and even though I started at the very beginning its still expensive. Just don't get frustrated and start one at a time and before you know it you will have a collection to be proud of. Remember it's not a race,it's a passion.

If you're just starting out I would recommend getting something that works as a stand alone display if you decide not to keep going with it. There are plenty of figures you can get for cheap if you just want to get a feel for the line, but keep in mind that they are cheap for a reason and the likes of Karatti look silly displayed on their own. Your best bet is probably to pick a hero and steed combo, see how you like it, and go from there. If you are new to the line, you may not realize how large MOTUC figures are, beasts like Battle Cat and Swiftwind are absolutely massive and look extremely impressive on display. If you just get both twins mounted on their steeds that's a pretty decent start, and you can fill out the supporting cast at your leisure when you find good deals on evilBay.