Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC MMORPG Who would Play?

Widget

MOTUC MMORPG Who would Play?

Ever since the Eternia map came out for this series I thought it would be a cool MMORPG. Then when the other maps came out (Etheria, Preternia, and Subternia) I thought they would be cool expansion packs. So many games have tried to be the next World of Warcraft, but they have all failed and ended up in the "free to play" graveyard. I think MOTU Online could have a shot. My desire to see MOTU in MMORPG form inspired me to design this model of Castle Grayskull https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfC_rYzepk . Does anyone else feel this way? I'd love to brainstorm with you guys. What playable races should there be? Have you done artwork that could be used to promote this idea? Lets show Mattel that this game would be worth making!

Court Magician
    yes I like. or a game like fire emblem whit master of the universe characters.

Widget
    I've never played that. It looks cool though.

I would prob get fired from my job for playing so long count me in

Widget
    Now you can play the MMORPG that has the real Horde!

Actually we'd probably have to wait for the "Liberation of Etheria" expansion pack to play in the Horde faction.

No, I don't like those kinds of games.

But if they did a single-player game along the lines of Fallout or The Elder Scrolls, I'd be all over it!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I think it would be one of the best ideas ever if done well, the thing is I don't trust a single developer to pull it off well. I've been an MMO fan since the early days, and they just aren't what they used to be (and I don't mean that in a nostalgic way, I mean that they used to try to be virtual worlds and struggled with the tech, and nowadays are just stagnant single-player games with forced multiplayer to justify subscriptions or cash shops in a way that makes each decision about how to trick more money out of people instead of how to make a more engaging experience worth spending money on).

Here's something I wrote about the topic five years ago:

If done right, I believe that an MMORPG based on the Masters of the Universe license could be an awesome game, even if you think the franchise itís based on is rather silly. Many of you may not know much about the series, so Iíll spell out exactly why I think an MMO would be appropriate.

Masters of the Universe is a franchise that usually makes people think of He-Man, Skeletor, and occasionally a few of their allies. The franchise is so much more, however, and between the three TV shows, not to mention all of the other spin-offs, there is a world practically begging to be an MMO.

First of all, thereís the endless cast of characters made for the toyline, each with some cheesy, superhero-esque gimmick. This makes the world already open to the idea of endless player characters. I think the optimal character creation in this game would be something Cryptic-style (though I no longer trust them to actually make the game), with a character designer robust enough to simulate the wildly diverse character designs of the franchise, and a power selector to simulate the wildly diverse toy gimmicks. There are even multiple races, such as humans, trollans (like Orko), avian avonians, bee-like andreenids, dinosaur-like caligars, and even the cat-like qadians, not to mention countless more I canít find names for.

Imagine playing a trollan that specializes in offensive magic while wearing a yellow hat and blue robes. ;P

Iím not a big fan of solid ďfactionĒ systems, but if the game went in that direction, there are plenty of them to use. The Heroic Warriors, the Evil Warriors, the Snake Men, and the Horde, at least. Imagine a tutorial where Man-at-Arms is giving you a crash course through combat ŗ la the beginning of the 200x series, or one where Skeletor is treating you like trash like the rest of his minions.

Then thereís the world, or should I say, worlds. The original He-Man series had a strong spirit of adventure that was incredibly creative with its locales (if occasionally silly and always lazy with the backgrounds), and the 200x series had its fair share of settings. This isnít your traditional fantasy world either. The writers had so much fun that the world is more of a stereotypical alien planet than your usual Medieval Europe fare.

And thatís not counting the actual alien planets and dimensions. Etheria, Trolla, Despondos, and perhaps the future from the New Adventures of He-Man. You donít have to invent a single thing to fuel expansions for years. Heck, in the original show, Earth was technically part of the universe, though Iím not sure what youíd do with it.

The setting, from the ground up, is a strange mash-up of magical fantasy with technological sci-fi. Thereís room for both a straight mage like Orko and a power armored hero like Man-at-Arms. It's essentially superheroes in an alien fantasy world.

The entire premise is based off heroic quests, fantastic creatures, mysterious locations, and legendary items. Thereís enough stuff to fuel a quest-based, loot-filled theme park game forever.

Widget
    There are definitely a lot of planets to work with from the Horde Empire map that came out last year. Earth would be a futuristic setting considering Marlena was an astronaut and her ship had some form of faster than light propulsion. It would be nice to get more info on the races of Eternia and other worlds. I read somewhere that Mer-Man's people are called Moratunians. I can't really find much info on the Beast Men.

YES! YES! YES!

I don't think an MMO NEEDS factions but this would be a good use of a faction system. If it were to happen, I would like it to be like TOR and take place in Pre-Eternia rather than He-man's time ( which would leave it open for appearances by Pre-Eternia disguise He-man).

Possible Factions :
    An Evil faction led by Demo-Man?
    A Heroic faction led by He-Ro?

Species :
    I don't know if it serves the game to have established species with stats or to just make character creation have as many looks as possible. Whatever the case, I think you would need almost 20 different species to give the players lots of looks.

Classes :
    I think each "class" should get a generic set of powers for basic offense and get a "Power Feature" which is essentially something akin to the action figure gimmick.
    Barbarian - Weapons and Strength, specialized mount
    Caster - Staff, Spells and Super Spell
    Tech - Gadgets, Ranged, and Vehicle
    No heals though, I think there should be a knockout thing that happens where someone has to wake you up.

Widget
    I like the Preternia idea, then maybe a few years in they could do the "Spell of Separation" expansion, kind of like "Cataclysm" in WoW, the map would be changed. Things could start in Preternia, but you would have the option of traveling forward in time and going to other worlds.

The good side faction of course could all be one team, but what about the evil? Snake Men, The Horde, and Skeletor's Evil Warriors don't exactly get along. Should these be separate factions? Maybe the Unnamed one unites them. But he gets the Unnamed Warlord to do it (I put the alternate helmeted head on an extra Skeletor body, new much cooler character).

I definitely think we have 20 species to work with. I'd make a list now but I gotta go to work.

Yeah, The Expansions could properly introduce Snake-men and Horde as playable as well as NA and Pop themed lore. There wouldn't exactly be a Great Rebellion yet but maybe some Brightmoon Agent from the past leads a sub faction there to support Eternians in the Horde expansion. Heck, I don't even know what to do about Cosmic Enforcers, maybe they could be a completely neutral faction that can ally themselves with either side. One cosmic enforcer per server on each account?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Oh yes, I would play that!
    We were specifically told that Dare would not be in 2014-2015, see the words straight from Scott here: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

Well I dont know if this is the right choice for a MOTU game, all that I know is that our beloved brand could perfectly fit and being succesful even in the videogame's industry .
    We need a good game for MOTU, do it 3rd action (GOW come first to my mind), mmorpg or whatever and please I dont want another tie-in mvovie/animated series, most of them are pure crap (except for batman begins?). I mean, there's market for both , is rocksteady's batman the best thing happenin these days, right? If so just do a game like that
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

I would support a 3rd person action game like Dragon's Dogma or other RPG action games but a MMORPG provides a real opportunity for a persistent and inhabited world. A world where players entrench themselves socially with with the factions of MOTU. Also, a world to battle each other to even unite against a greater threat.

I can imagine it now... " Recruiting for Heroic guild, vintage and mini-comic characters only( Filmation upon interview)!"

"NA themed guild" etc. It's frightening in a way, it could turn into a pvp enabled .org!

I'd dig it it was like Dragon Age and you could have a lot of party members to alternate through.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden_Graystone View Post
    MOTUC MMORPG Who would Play?
    Nah, not me. I'd prefer a Capcom fighting type game.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, but how would the game mechanics be like? I'm not too familiar with WoW or MMORPGs in general, so pardon my ignorance; but my understanding is that games of this kind are based on "generic", archetypal characters that the players choose an "instance of" to play as their avatar, so that many people may be playing "the same" type of character at the same time, in order to accomodate the "massively multiplayer" audience within the same playing field. But with MotU, there can only be 1 He-Man, 1 Skeletor, etc.; so who among the massive amount of players would get the privilege of playing the coveted A-listers, and who would get to play just a generic Horde Trooper or Palace Guard? Also, what would happen to the gameplay if, say, He-Man or Skeletor got killed by other characters? Wouldn't such an event basically end the fun for everyone?
    Last edited by uaxuctum; March 28, 2015 at 09:34am. Reason: typo
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like a Zelda inspired game.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Genyosha View Post
    Yeah, The Expansions could properly introduce Snake-men and Horde as playable as well as NA and Pop themed lore. There wouldn't exactly be a Great Rebellion yet but maybe some Brightmoon Agent from the past leads a sub faction there to support Eternians in the Horde expansion. Heck, I don't even know what to do about Cosmic Enforcers, maybe they could be a completely neutral faction that can ally themselves with either side. One cosmic enforcer per server on each account?
    Maybe creating a Cosmic Enforcer could be a reward for having more than ten high level characters. They could have the ability to detect the location of gankers and punish them!

Maybe creating a Cosmic Enforcer could be a reward for having more than ten high level characters. They could have the ability to detect the location of gankers and punish them!
    Yeah, that would be an awesome way of keeping them different from the other factions. They should be something unique like that.

What's a MMORPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    What's a MMORPG?
    It's a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Basically, it's one of those games (like the famous World of Warcraft) hosted in some central servers (controlled by the software company that develops the game) that a humongous amount of people (like, thousands at a time!) from around the world can connect to (by paying a subscription fee) in order to play the same game at the same time within the same game field, and usually this virtual game "world" lives on in the servers all the time, so the players can connect on and off while the world keeps evolving through the interactions of other players. You can look it up on Wikipedia to learn more about them.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    What's a MMORPG?
    Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. World of Warcraft would be the most popular example. You could go anywhere on Eternia having adventures. You make your own character. You can be good or you can be evil. You could be any of these races: Humans, Gar, Beast Men (Red), Beast Men (Blue), Trollans, Moratunians, Karikoni, Andreenids , Arachna, Avionians, Harpies, Reptons , Snake Men, Caligars, Ogres, Qadians, Speleans, Gargoyles, Widgets, Kulatak. You could be any class of character: Wizard, Warrior, Inventor, Hunter.

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. World of Warcraft would be the most popular example. You could go anywhere on Eternia having adventures. You make your own character. You can be good or you can be evil. You could be any of these races: Humans, Gar, Beast Men (Red), Beast Men (Blue), Trollans, Moratunians, Karikoni, Andreenids , Arachna, Avionians, Harpies, Reptons , Snake Men, Caligars, Ogres, Qadians, Speleans, Gargoyles, Widgets, Kulatak. You could be any class of character: Wizard, Warrior, Inventor, Hunter.
    The question is, would many people be intererested in playing a MotU game populated only with background generic characters and none of the A/B-listers that people associate the property with first and foremost?

I think MotU would lend itself better to a "limitedly multiplayer" role-playing type of videogame, where each player controls one of the warring factions. Or to a "miniteams" kind where a relatively small group of players (not many more than a couple dozen or so per faction) individually control a selected character from a faction and have to collaborate together with the other characters from that faction in order to defeat the other faction(s) (or prevent them from completing predefined goals, such as finding the Starseed, recovering the Golden Disks of Knowledge, getting hold of the Cosmic Key, etc.).

Then, there's also the "boxing ring"-type of fighting videogame (ŗ la Street Fighter 2), which in a way is already available (as some open-source engine has already been customized with MotU characters). Plus, of course, the platformer type, as in the recently-released smartphone game.

The "limitedly multiplayer" role-playing kind could also work quite well as a board game (something ŗ la War of the Ring or Cyclades). And the MotUverse would also be a quite fertile and appropriate source for card games (like the ones based on the Star Wars license), either with predefined decks, or better with a collectible strategic deck-building component (ŗ la Magic the Gathering) where players would compete and build their decks by faction (or by group of affiliated/collaborating factions, such as the Heroics + the Great Rebellion, or the Evils + the Space Mutants). There is some fan-made card game out there already, but we need more ambitious and officially-released ones.

MotU-themed figurine-based games (ŗ la Warhammer 40,000 or the X-Wing Miniatures) would also be awesome, and could function both as a game and as a line of collectible MotU minifigures.

So, yes, I would love me some MotU game—any kind of MotU game really, and I think MotU has a great untapped potential in this respect. However, I think probably the MMORPG-type wouldn't be the most appropriate format to entice players, if they cannot somehow "promote" themselves to control characters above the D-list.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; March 28, 2015 at 07:40am.

In theory yes but I doubt my computer could handle it haha.