Thread: Condition of joints on vintage early He-Man figures

Widget

Condition of joints on vintage early He-Man figures

My first MOTU figure arrived the other day that i bought at auction to begin my collection. The legs on the figure seem medium to loose but the arms are quite tight, the figure stands up fine without needing additional support. Is this condition considered normal for the age of the toy or below average?. As i am new to collecting these figures i don't know whats the norm and whats considered bad condition all i can go by is what i remember them being like as a child.

Also if a auction shows a figure laying down in the photos is this normally a warning sign that the leg joints may be knackered?. As you can imagine not all sellers are honest with a items condition and you can only tell so much from a photo especially as most Ebay photos are low resolution or dark.

If I remember correctly I used to have a Stratos figure whose left leg seems twisted while the rest of my MOTU toys (now gone) were all in perfect condition.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I would say if the figure can stand then you have a pretty decent figure - this can also mean that the seller has repaired the figure too.

Some characters are more famous for having looser legs too at least from my findings.

I would say if the figure is laying down it could just mean the seller takes all pictures that way or it could mean a bigger problem. I would look at their other auction pictures and see if they ever take pictures with figures standing up. Also you can always ask the seller about the legs before purchasing or bidding.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I would say if the figure can stand then you have a pretty decent figure - this can also mean that the seller has repaired the figure too.

Some characters are more famous for having looser legs too at least from my findings.

I would say if the figure is laying down it could just mean the seller takes all pictures that way or it could mean a bigger problem. I would look at their other auction pictures and see if they ever take pictures with figures standing up. Also you can always ask the seller about the legs before purchasing or bidding.
    That is all true...loose vintage MOTU collecting is a complete gamble when buying online on ebay or similar places. Many of the sellers have no clue about the specifics anyway, but unless you can physically touch the figure to check legs, it really is a crap shoot. I've had really good, and really bad luck with vintage figures on ebay.
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Castle Grayskull, Yellow Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, horde trooper(s), sky high, Faker, Snake MAA

the real issue is the rubber "bands / joints" used for the legs...Had a vintage Leech that was in great shape..stood w/out problem..my 6 y/o daughter was standing him up / gently playing with the figure when one of the legs went totally loose and snapped....the rubber used on a lot of these old figures is starting to dry rot and will break if moved around much...just as with all things 30+ years old....they are starting to break down...

Widget
    Thanks for the replies, i only have 2x MOTU figures at the moment as new to collecting but neither have what i would call 'Super strong leg joints'. I tend to just stand my figures up and not move any of the joints about too much in case they break. I have a little more confidence buying a loose figure on ebay when the picture shows it standing up, a lot of sellers class figures as 'good or excellent condition' well that depends what your bench marking it against and is a bit subjective. I have found some figures often look great in the low resolution photos but when it actually arrives you notice the conditions of the paint is not as good as first thought etc.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I have had an Extendar figure that was just standing on a shelf and his rubber band snapped and I found him the next day. Definitely over time the bands are just starting to rot.

Nice thing about Extendar is if you can position him just right - he can stand without his rubber band since he is a pretty solid figure.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Widget
    At least leg joints can be fixed if broken so the figure isn't a total loss if they break eventually and its not a stiff figure. I get the impression fixing is a bit taboo though as a lot of people are like me and want them in original unmodified condition.