Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: MVC Comics - Collected Info About Emiliano's Ideas for the Comic

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar
    Anyone have any thoughts on the series bible Emiliano posted recently?
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Yep. Saw it. People can search for it if they want. Dunno what all the hype is about ' cause it aint like there are a lot of new revelations.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Lots of potential, and I really like the He-Ro/Keldor parallel he was shooting for, even if I'm skeptical about 200X Keldor time-travelling. I think there were points where it was trying too hard to fit everything in--although the Classics bios are as bad or even worse in almost all respects. (I do prefer the idea that He-Ro and Grayskull are different people.) And I can see where the legal issues might have been a mess. But it would have been great to see, and it feels a lot better and more keeping in the MotU style than the Classics or Neo-DC continuities.

I rather enjoyed the bible. A lot if awesome info that I hadn't seen before. Nice to see what would have been.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is a doorway to another"
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    I rather enjoyed the bible. A lot if awesome info that I hadn't seen before. Nice to see what would have been.
    Interesting read.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar
    Yeah. I was thrilled with the Keldor stuff. And I love the idea of showing he wasn't all bad. I wish we had had the chance to see more of him in any medium.
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Just a friendly reminder to make sure to keep all talk civil. Thanks everyone!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Yep. Saw it. People can search for it if they want. Dunno what all the hype is about ' cause it aint like there are a lot of new revelations.
    It was interesting to see the ideas outlined coherently in one place, but I did not have the same experience reading it as I did reading the Powers of Grayskull series bible or the He-Ro: Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series pitch. It did not read like a new chapter in Masters of the Universe history so much as a reinterpretation of an old chapter, and I feel that it relied too heavily on new concepts and characters that invented whole cloth to tie things together. Altogether, there were some interesting bits, but I am not disappointed that it did not come to fruition.

I am really glad the bible was made available to us, partially because, for me, it stands as a shining example of how someone like Unnamed One can go from a simple reference in a mini-comic to a major character complete with their very own Classics figure via a pitch. At and near the inception of Classics, Mattel wasn't really familiar with some of the characters outside of the original toy line (i.e. Strobo) and lesser known references, so I really do feel this bible influenced Mattel and elevated Unnamed One's status. 'Tis why I keep asking for the Celestial Witch.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    The hype is that Fans have been waiting for ever to give it a read. Thats all.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Have not had the chance to read the WHOLE thing yet...so just a couple quick things...

The Star Seed is "the first matter after the big bang" according to the Sorceress, not what caused it to happen.
    The Star Seed and Orb of elders are different names for the same thing.
    But then so is The Council of Elders and Council of the Wise...

I think that the creature in the crystal was at one point in development or (or subconsciously) a reference to Filmation's The Energy Beast. Tying him into Disk of Doom Skeletor' power upgrade in the New Adventures is perfect. It almost writes it self if you watch the two episodes back to back and read Vol. One of MVC comic...But I don't see the NEED to tie this into The Unnamed One. At least not this convoluted or directly.

Yeah. I was thrilled with the Keldor stuff. And I love the idea of showing he wasn't all bad. I wish we had had the chance to see more of him in any medium.
    Totally agree! When Randor is looking for him in the The Search for Keldor, this is the impression I got.
    I have never been happy with

"hey look at me, I'm he-man's uncle and I have always been evil"

It's become intolerable in the DCNU comics

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    I really like the He-Ro/Keldor parallel he was shooting for.

I do prefer the idea that He-Ro and Grayskull are different people.
    A brilliant concept for Keldor before The Unnamed could consume his life. I wonder how close to the original 1987 Keldor this is?

Agreed. You have two different characters. A young dark haired untrained sorcerer of normal (for Eternia LoL) size. The other is a middle aged veteran and King who is blond and Freaking HUGE. I think them being father & Son is the most easy conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It was interesting to see the ideas outlined coherently in one place, but I did not have the same experience reading it as I did reading the Powers of Grayskull series bible or the He-Ro: Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series pitch. It did not read like a new chapter in Masters of the Universe history so much as a reinterpretation of an old chapter, and I feel that it relied too heavily on new concepts and characters that invented whole cloth to tie things together. Altogether, there were some interesting bits, but I am not disappointed that it did not come to fruition.
    And yeah, I kinda agree. I never understood the whole Nordor/Horde Prime/Nameless One/Keldor/Skeletor thing. I'd have preferred something simpler. It's hard to discuss without delving into "In My Canon" type of statements, but I don't think these forces needed to be so interconnected. I can totally see an Unholy Sprit that guides all evil in this universe, but this kinda of "Voldemort" thing just seamed overly complex for no reason I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I really do feel this bible influenced Mattel and elevated Unnamed One's status. 'Tis why I keep asking for the Celestial Witch.
    Agreed.. who is the Celestial Witch?

I feel so out of the loop these days.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; August 1, 2013 at 09:28am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Agreed.. who is the Celestial Witch?

I feel so out of the loop these days.
    She is the one who, in ancient days, banished the Star Sisters, encasing them in crystalline formations and then hurtled them through the cosmos via a "shooting star." In the original legend by former Mattel employee Jon Seisa, the intention was to have the star cause a catastrophic impact with Eternia that would create the subterranean Crystal Catacombs. Based on his explanation, Mattel's marketing team on the SS were crafting them into witch-like characters. The was the idea:

"...each doll would come with a crystal from the stars, a Star Crystal, that possessed an intangible and innate "Power of Starlight" that, via a Wicca-type incantation recited by the child, could be summoned and evoked forth from the etherial realm of the celestials and brought down to Eternia, manifesting through The Star Sisters a "supernatural presence."

In the end, cost reductions prohibited the addition of this feature. The legend also changed due to input from other sources, thus the Star Sisters impacted Etheria instead of Eternia.

She is the one who, Seriously stop procrastinating and read the interview I posted already

That stuff sounds pretty cool...Cooler then I thought it would be

Still...I don't like the implication that something existed before/or not originate from/on Eternia. How can it be the source of ALL the power then?
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; August 1, 2013 at 09:34am.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    She is the one who, in ancient days, banished the Star Sisters, encasing them in crystalline formations and then hurtled them through the cosmos via a "shooting star." In the original legend by former Mattel employee Jon Seisa, the intention was to have the star cause a catastrophic impact with Eternia that would create the subterranean Crystal Catacombs. Based on his explanation, Mattel's marketing team on the SS were crafting them into witch-like characters. The was the idea:

"...each doll would come with a crystal from the stars, a Star Crystal, that possessed an intangible and innate "Power of Starlight" that, via a Wicca-type incantation recited by the child, could be summoned and evoked forth from the etherial realm of the celestials and brought down to Eternia, manifesting through The Star Sisters a "supernatural presence."

In the end, cost reductions prohibited the addition of this feature. The legend also changed due to input from other sources, thus the Star Sisters impacted Etheria instead of Eternia.
    Your ability to work the Star Sisters into just about any topic is both frightening and impressive.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

@ LORD FALLEN ELDOR lol @ changing my quote. Seems you remember me telling you about this in the past. heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Your ability to work the Star Sisters into just about any topic is both frightening and impressive.
    LOL! Well, I would say that I go through phases of posting about all of these characters. The Unnamed One 'mystery figure' intensified the need to talk about the Celestial Witch, and especially since time could be running out for Classics. The reason I'm so fixated on the Celestial Witch and the Star Sisters, is because there's so much potential for epic storytelling there (they're the staple 3 sisters ala many myths, fantasy movies, tv series, etc!!...Gorgons, Stygian Witches...The Charmed Ones ) and it just seems like Mattel keeps passing it up for some reason. Had the original extension line succeeded, this would have been the next chapter for Princess of Power.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I would be interested in seeing what that character would have looked like, maybe like a dark reflection of the Star Sisters. Or they could just make it a Penny Dreadful figure!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Have not had the chance to read the WHOLE thing yet...so just a couple quick things...

The Star Seed is "the first matter after the big bang" according to the Sorceress, not what caused it to happen.
    The Star Seed and Orb of elders are different names for the same thing.
    But then so is The Council of Elders and Council of the Wise...
    This.

When the Council was first formed, the members were not yet Elders. They were the Council of the Wise, and came to be known as the Council of Elders over time.

The Elders later joined with the Star Seed, which the Sorceress refers to as the Crystal Orb.

They are just different words for the same thing, just as son, brother, husband, and father can be different words for the same person.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Lots of potential, and I really like the He-Ro/Keldor parallel he was shooting for, even if I'm skeptical about 200X Keldor time-travelling. I think there were points where it was trying too hard to fit everything in--although the Classics bios are as bad or even worse in almost all respects. (I do prefer the idea that He-Ro and Grayskull are different people.) And I can see where the legal issues might have been a mess. But it would have been great to see, and it feels a lot better and more keeping in the MotU style than the Classics or Neo-DC continuities.
    Yeah, I think King Grayskull and He-Ro need to stay as separate people. I'd want to think they could either be brothers (as some places have already thought of) or father and son or something. Having them be the same person is just too confusing and doesn't make much sense.

Scriptor, as for the DC series, I think the people who are writing it are still finding their footing with this new take. Maybe it won't be a fond nostalgic thing to look back on for some people, but I like enjoying it in the here and now. The difference is what is keeping me reading. If it were completely vintage, or completely MYP, MVC, Filmation, whatever that has come before I would feel it would just be a re-tread of what I've already seen. Having something be a bit different doesn't bother me. I'd like if it were possible to keep MOTU always new and always evolving in some way. I think the DC title has that potential if carried out right. Only time will tell. It's been going for a year, so that is good news by itself.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I think that the creature in the crystal was at one point in development or (or subconsciously) a reference to Filmation's The Energy Beast.
    I see you keep coming back to this over and over again. But remind me, hasn't Emiliano already answered that it was not The Energy Beast. Because I seem to recollect you talked with Emiliano about it. He could easily clarify it again.

the outline was an interesting read.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

@ Adam_Prince of Eternia,
    * Hi Five

@ Barezz
    I marvel More at Tallstar's time management skills and ability and bring us awesome historical stuff!

@ Tallstar
    I'm not the biggest Star Sister fans, I'm a huge fan of TallStar
    I just have so little time, that I never get around to reading the amazing interviews & article you have have composed. Heck, I haven't even gotten through the bible that is the current topic of this thread

Off topic note, why are the interviews spread through two separate ares of the .Org?

http://www.he-man.org/resources/arch...tion.php?id=13
    http://www.he-man.org/resources/arch...tion.php?id=46

And that is not even the off site stuff...One day a single collection of links to interviews must be complied. I have to make more time for these things, I would love to be able to help uncover awesome stuff like this.

EDIT - BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND
    I think the hunt for the living spells is one of my favorite plot devices in MOTU, like ever! I could see a lot of the ancient creatures he-man faced in FIlmation as ones He-Ro might not have collected! Intentional? Gray learning new transformations is a great idea. I wonder why they are collected in his staff, and not recollected in The Book from which they came?

Another really cool idea is the Grayskull family bloodline. The Grayskull tribesmen, is a nice reference to page one of He-Man and the Power Sword. An idea identical to my own! I imagine Tytus being a part of this bloodline, that explains the transfusion working, the "G" on his chest and the family resemblance.

The Hordak stuff is neat, I love the image of a (*Ah-hem) pre-fallen Hordak, and the wizards making a new body of stone. I remember once contemplating that Hordak was part Gar, part Prahvus' race and half Spalenan and his body just calcifying to a rock like form making him brittle. While I'm not fond of the idea of a whole "Horde Race", I do like the magic rock body explanation.

Speaking of Hordak, do you suppose he always worked for Nordor/Horde Prime or was once an honorable man?

I was sad to see such a light entry on Zodac & the Cosmic Enforces, especially since they are so heavily teased to us in Vol. 3
    and is my 2nd favorite character after Hordak. One of the few MOTUC bio things that I have liked is that Zodak and Zodac are different characters. It stands o reason considering the differences in personality as well skin tone. Thought it would have made more sense to switch MYP to something differnt sounding like ZadoK.

But once again I'm drifting off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I see you keep coming back to this over and over again. But remind me, hasn't Emiliano already answered that it was not The Energy Beast. Because I seem to recollect you talked with Emiliano about it. He could easily clarify it again.
    An evil who once ruled Eternia that was so powerful is couldn't be destroyed, only contained in a crystal by The Ancients.

That is a description for two different characters? Vol. 3 talks about the "god Beasts" that roamed ancient Eternia... The beast form of the Unnamed One in Vol. One even looks like a 200X styled Energy Best when you compare them side by side...Even if it was unintentional (as Emiliano has said) it doesn't change my point that they are nearly identical.

Sorry I guess I do harp on this one point. It just seams like when ever anyone mentions Ancient Eternia, I feel like everybody forgets about the guy who ruled it for billions of years shortly after it's formation. Seams important to me I guess.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; August 4, 2013 at 02:08am.

I think the hunt for the living spells is one of my favorite plot devices in MOTU, like ever! I could see a lot of the ancient creatures he-man faced in FIlmation as ones He-Ro might not have collected! Intentional? Gray learning new transformations is a great idea. I wonder why they are collected in his staff, and not recollected in The Book from which they came?
    On one hand, I like the idea of a quest to retrieve the spells and Gray acquiring new abilities as he does so. On the other hand, I think knowing what spells are in the book and what they can do takes away from its mystery and power. As it is, the Book of Living Spells could contain or do almost anything. Knowing which spells are in the book and what they can do is like knowing that there is only one PokÚmon to a PokÚball and only six to a trainer. It does not seem so mysterious or powerful after that.

I think I'm over the MVC comics to be honest (I don't mean that dismissively). For what seemed like the longest time I wanted to know how the story progressed, but with the information gleaned from this thread and other places (not counting the recent Bible's release, I've yet to read that) I'm not as bothered about it no longer being around. I'm by no means turning my nose up at it, I enjoyed it at the time and still love quite a lot of what did happen (same with the MYP toon), but I'm more interested in the future MOTU these days.

Though saying that will always be concepts that never came to be that I'd like to see introduced into future iterations of MOTU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

How did I not know of this thread?!?!?

This is what I get for lurking in the Classics board for too long.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio79 View Post
    How did I not know of this thread?!?!?

This is what I get for lurking in the Classics board for too long.
    Add a subscription for this thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. That is what I did.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.