Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will some characters not get a figure?

Will some characters not get a figure?

There are now 74 characters/figures left that aren't released, announced, or not a variant of another character across MOTU, POP and NA. With 6 full years remaining to release figures, how are all these figures going to be released, along with exclusive characters that appeared in the mini comics, the 200X show, and prototype characters that never made the cut?

Will there be 2-packs or mutli-packs (Like Kowl and Loo-Kee)?

Maybe the Horde Trooper(s) will be an Army Builder like the Royal Guard?

What do you guys think?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

The HORDE TROOPERS will absolutely be an army two-pack, and there is already a registered trademark on them. Lots of fans are hoping for them next year!

It's sort of blind faith, but Mattel has the line planned out through 2016 and beyond. No worries, since the line is doing spectacularly well!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I don't think we will see every figure ever produced redone in Classics style. I am betting that the vintage line is the one that will get top priority (as we have already seen) and then the others will end up as filler or new additions. POP and NA fans are slowly seeing figures get introduced but with the sheer number of characters it will be hard for them to release everyone by 2016. This collection is going to be big regardless. I am already scared about how I will eventually display everything. When you add on vehicles and huge beasts plus the possibility of playsets in the future you will probably need an entire room dedicated to MOTU to display it all.

The Kowl and Loo-Kee two pack idea is a great way to combine characters much like Adam and Orko did. The Horde Troopers should definitely be a two pack.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

If they keep this pace, some characters will of course be cut. New Adventures characters are probably furthest down on the foodchain, followed by PoP.

I MUST have the Horde Trooper 2-Pack, or Mult-Pack. The original goes for waaaay too much on ebay - at least for my budget.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    don't worry, we'll get all the good characters out by then.
    Does Galactus fart?

Realistically tho, I think the line will last another 2-3 years. 6 more years is way too much for it to remain stable.

Agreed. Few toy lines last that long now-a-days before the toy company yells "Reboot!"

Albeit, the Marvel Legends toy line (which is more geared towards collectors) has been going for 9 years now - since 2002. It's slowed down in recent years but because of fan demand, it's making a comeback in 2012.

Here's hoping Mattel will take the Toy Biz/Hasbro route and keep MOTUC going for us collector fans.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    I'm going to be the positive one and say that it WILL last. But, they never said the line would END in 2016. Only that they had the figures planned out until then.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    What do you guys think?
    I think if I were on a cruise ship and heard people talking about the Titanic as much as people talk about this line ending prematurely, I'd need to build a plank. It amazes me how much people like to dwell on "who's not gonna make it." What do you get out of it? Is it some kind of therapy to prepare one's self for disappointment, or blind hope that somehow the talk will affect the outcome? I'm not picking on anyone BTW, this is a pretty widespread phenomenon on the boards. I'm not getting it though.

I like a positive attitude. I think Sandman and my comments are more about toy company trends - they do seem to have short attention spans.

Believe me, I have high hopes that the line goes on beyond 2016 - I bought a subscription for 2011 in the hopes of expanding my POP line; I'm collecting both the vintage and MOTUC versions (MOTUC Bow and Swiftwind sold me). POP will be lucky to get 4 figures a year - that's another trend speculation I have.

See, I would say that this line could easily be an exception to any "reboot" antics by Mattel.

This is an adult collectors line, and it is doing extremely well. Even if a more kid friendly toyline for MOTU were to go into development (with or without new media) I have no doubt that the MOTUC will continue-- as long as we keep buying it.

Will we get every single character ever developed? Looking at the lineup (past, present, and forward) it IS looking that way!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think if I were on a cruise ship and heard people talking about the Titanic as much as people talk about this line ending prematurely, I'd need to build a plank. It amazes me how much people like to dwell on "who's not gonna make it." What do you get out of it? Is it some kind of therapy to prepare one's self for disappointment, or blind hope that somehow the talk will affect the outcome? I'm not picking on anyone BTW, this is a pretty widespread phenomenon on the boards. I'm not getting it though.
    Your cruise ship analogy made me chuckle. I truly wasn't aware that the "not gonna make it" mentality was so widespread. I suppose for me it stems from the anxiety of becoming invested in a line that you like so much, and dealing with the possibility that it will abruptly end - and what fan of MOTU wants to see this toy line end?

I can't speak for every MOTU fan, but I believe there's a historical tension that a lot of fans possess over how Mattel handled the 200X series...it just STOPPED. It seemed like overnight, the plug was pulled on the toy line, then the show, then the comic book (the show and the comics set up so many stories that never got finished). I think some fans have a fear that something like that may happen again...I know I do.

I think some of the human Galactic Guardian New Adventures figures will be low on the priority list. I'm a NA fan and even I'm not clamoring for people like Vizor or Nocturna. I think if Mattel/4H get to them they'd be cool... but I won't be crying too much if they don't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    See, I would say that this line could easily be an exception to any "reboot" antics by Mattel.

This is an adult collectors line, and it is doing extremely well. Even if a more kid friendly toyline for MOTU were to go into development (with or without new media) I have no doubt that the MOTUC will continue-- as long as we keep buying it.

Will we get every single character ever developed? Looking at the lineup (past, present, and forward) it IS looking that way!
    Well, I know I'll keep buying. Here's to hopes that it'll just get bigger and bigger. And along the way, Mattel will be able to improve on perceived or experienced flaws, making the line better and better.

That's a lot of "biggers" and "betters" I know...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think some of the human Galactic Guardian New Adventures figures will be low on the priority list. I'm a NA fan and even I'm not clamoring for people like Vizor or Nocturna. I think if Mattel/4H get to them they'd be cool... but I won't be crying too much if they don't make it.
    Yeah, I was looking at some of those NA characters. Butthead? I don't know...

In the POP line, I'm not sure about the She-Ra and Catra variants...although a Starburst She-Ra would be cool.

Some of the other characters could be released in 2-pks: The Elementals: Frosta and Perfuma; The Fliers: Flutterina and Sweet Bee; or Mother & Daughter: Angella and Glimmer.

Just to get figures out, and clear up some monthly slots.
    Last edited by mykan; August 25, 2010 at 11:08pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I think they can get to a great deal of characters.. but maybe not every variant that existed. Toy Guru himself said that if the line makes it to 2017 they'd have a few human characters left from NA. I'm sure the plan is to get to everybody in time..

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I think they can get to a great deal of characters.. but maybe not every variant that existed. Toy Guru himself said that if the line makes it to 2017 they'd have a few human characters left from NA. I'm sure the plan is to get to everybody in time..
    I believe that if they also alter their approach by 2012 its quite possible to
    get every character in by 2016. Simply scale back the amount of variants
    per year and explore the possibility of substituting variants for completely
    different characters. If C and D list characters are allowed to fill some of
    those variant slots then its a likelihood of seeing all the characters.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    I'm going to be the positive one and say that it WILL last. But, they never said the line would END in 2016. Only that they had the figures planned out until then.
    I'm with you on this one.

Although we have no idea what the situation will look like in the future as far as: character selection, Matty.com's website, DR service, customer support, production runs, exclusives, subscriptions, and everything else that has to do with sales; I feel this line definitely has the staying power.

I also agree with others on this board when they say Mattel is holding back some of the "big guns" for later on in the line. Just when the sales start to slip, (i.e. a figure doesn't sell out in 20 minutes or less) bam! Mattel hits us with the announcement of Ram-Man, Stinkor, Mekaneck, Man-E-Faces, many of the NA characters as well as PoP, including the coveted Shadow Weaver.

With names like that, among MANY others, the fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming years. Let's all try to be optimistic about the future of the line rather than pessimistic.
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I think the line is currently strong and all the characters have a good chance of being made eventually. However...

The only thing that could potentially end this great action figure line is the complete collapse of the world economies... If we find ourselves in another great depression, the dollar will be worthless and we can kiss the line goodbye... Let's just hope this doesn't occur.

"Hindenburg Omen."

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    I think the line is currently strong and all the characters have a good chance of being made eventually. However...

The only thing that could potentially end this great action figure line is the complete collapse of the world economies... If we find ourselves in another great depression, the dollar will be worthless and we can kiss the line goodbye... Let's just hope this doesn't occur.

"Hindenburg Omen."
    Although if that happens the last thing I'm worrying about are He-man toys!

Ya Mattel never set it was done in 2016 so who knows maybe we'll get all the existing characters that had toys in prior lines. So characters not likely to get toys...maybe ones which only appeared in the Filmation cartoon and never had toys.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Although if that happens the last thing I'm worrying about are He-man toys!
    You can say that again! lol... Maybe Matty Collector.com can sell bread... Wonder bread!

Besides Ram man, I think everyone will eventually be made. Sorry, I just felt the urge to bring him in this thread too.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Its threads like this make me want to chain the 4 Horsemen to their desk and force them to pump out at least:

- 2 new subscription figures per month
    - plus an A-list variant figure every 2nd month and
    - a vehicle and a beast every quarter
    - plus a bonus exclusive figure on my birthday and
    - a FILMation-inspired character released in MOTUC style for each month with 31 days
    - and a playset in time for every Christmas

That way fan's fears would be put at ease.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    There are now 74 characters/figures left that aren't released, announced, or not a variant of another character across MOTU, POP and NA. With 6 full years remaining to release figures, how are all these figures going to be released, along with exclusive characters that appeared in the mini comics, the 200X show, and prototype characters that never made the cut?

Will there be 2-packs or mutli-packs (Like Kowl and Loo-Kee)?

Maybe the Horde Trooper(s) will be an Army Builder like the Royal Guard?

What do you guys think?
    Umm... 12 monthly plus 4 quarterly figures is 16 figures/year (not including exclusives). This line is planned out through 2016 so that brings us to 96 figures. Add 6-12 on top of that for exclusives.

(Also, that's not including the Army Builders...which I'm sure the Horde Trooper will be a part of...and any "large scale" figures)