Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will some characters not get a figure?

Meteorbs and Energy Zoids immediately come to mind. I don't dislike either, but they are going to be a hard sell. I don't see them happening.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I don't know man. The Energy Zoids are cool (especially Rotar) and they were an ingenious concept ... it's just a pity they didn't work as well as intended.

I strongly believe the fans will jump at these guys like crazy when they are released - and given they were restricted distribution back in the 1980's I suspect many fans will want to add these guys to their collections for the first time.

If the 4H pick up on some of the ideas from this site - such as giving the Zoids leg stands - I suspect new, MOTUC-ized Energy Zoids will be awesome.

The Meteorbs ... nah. Not so much.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I'd be fine not having the meteorbs. I mean, they were not created to be part of the MOTU toyline at all, only shoehorned in (I know that's the story behind some other figures as well, like Ram Man, but it's more blindingly obvious here). Energy Zoids... No clue how they'd do them for MOTUC, but I'm sure the 4H would figure something out. But yeah they're probably also way down on the list of stuff to do.

So far this line is going from strength to strength, and this is two years into production, so I have a good feeling that this is going to last several years yet. A good thing for us fans but a bad thing for our wallets.

Personally, I'm in it for the long haul. I'm up for all the vintage and 200x characters, and I'd like to see what stuff Mattel and the 4H come up with as far as PoP and NA goes. Same goes for big figures and vehicles too.

Invariably there will be some obscure characters that have some support that won't get made, but so far a lot of the A-listers have made it onto our shelves, and new characters like Carnivus and Gygor are coming. Give it another three years or so (provided things are still going well) and I strongly doubt anyone of any real importance in not getting a figure.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    If they keep this pace, some characters will of course be cut. New Adventures characters are probably furthest down on the foodchain, followed by PoP.
    The NA heroes might not be made until 2017. Everyone else possibly will.

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    Agreed. Few toy lines last that long now-a-days before the toy company yells "Reboot!"

Albeit, the Marvel Legends toy line (which is more geared towards collectors) has been going for 9 years now - since 2002. It's slowed down in recent years but because of fan demand, it's making a comeback in 2012.

Here's hoping Mattel will take the Toy Biz/Hasbro route and keep MOTUC going for us collector fans.
    I don't think so.

MOTUC has the advantage of not being a retail line that has to cater to changing trends to keep it relevant (3.75" figures, tiny partners or animals, vampires, anime, cyber samurai suits). MOTUC can stay the same way it was from it's first day to it's last day without needing to incorporate the trend of the day to survive on the shelves.

Marvel Legends went downhill because Hasbro wanted to focus on Marvel Universe instead.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm pretty sure the new magic number is 2017, not 2016. With trademarks like Geldor and Lodar being taken out, it's pretty obvious that they're planning on stretching the line to cover 2017. You have to factor all of the vintage releases and characters, and add in prototypes (Darius, Eldor, Start Sisters) then add in 200x characters (Evil-Seed, Faceless One, Lord Dactys, Torius, Kulatak Cheif, Hawk, Stingrad), plus the available minicomics characters - and now they're saying MVC characters.

2017 is where it's at. 2016 is just old news!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    2017 is where it's at. 2016 is just old news!
    Oh man... I'm still trying to deal with 2010.
    You're hard to keep up with, Keveen... always on the cutting edge!
    Bill :: guitargod694

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I don't know man. The Energy Zoids are cool (especially Rotar) and they were an ingenious concept ... it's just a pity they didn't work as well as intended.

I strongly believe the fans will jump at these guys like crazy when they are released - and given they were restricted distribution back in the 1980's I suspect many fans will want to add these guys to their collections for the first time.

If the 4H pick up on some of the ideas from this site - such as giving the Zoids leg stands - I suspect new, MOTUC-ized Energy Zoids will be awesome.

The Meteorbs ... nah. Not so much.
    what do you mean by "restricted distribution"?
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I think we will get all of the Vintage MOTU figures, all POP figures (perhaps not all variations of She-Ra and Catra, though I would love them as well!), and all NA figures (again, barring variations, which, again, I would love to have!), as well as a surprising number of MYP characters and a few 200X versions such as Snake Armor, Ie Armor, and (I hope and pray!) Jungle Attack He-Man!!!

I would honestly and happily buy MOTUC versions of any
    MOTU/POP/NA/200X/MYP/MVC/Concept Art/whathaveyou toy!

Even the Meteorbs!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    what do you mean by "restricted distribution"?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think these guys were distributed as widely around the world as regular MOTU figures. They may have gone to more places than the Giants or Meteorbs, but my recollection is they were fairly restricted.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    Meteorbs and Energy Zoids immediately come to mind. I don't dislike either, but they are going to be a hard sell. I don't see them happening.
    Nah, Rotar and Twistoid are cool - especially Rotar. He has a decent back story with the tragic leg amputation and subsequent "rescue" by Man-At-Arms. I'm pretty sure they'll both get new figures and will come with some sort of stands to keep them upright.

I kinda doubt the Meteorbs will make it in unless they maybe come as bonus items with Stonedar and Rokkon.

The optimist in me thinks we'll see, minus variants, all the vintage MOTU figures, most or all of POP and a good chunk of NA, plus some 200X and characters like Queen Marlena and Cringer who never had toys in the vintage line.

~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 26, 2010 at 09:21pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think these guys were distributed as widely around the world as regular MOTU figures. They may have gone to more places than the Giants or Meteorbs, but my recollection is they were fairly restricted.
    ah ok. I understand what you're saying now.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I think we will get all of the Vintage MOTU figures, all POP figures (perhaps not all variations of She-Ra and Catra, though I would love them as well!), and all NA figures (again, barring variations, which, again, I would love to have!), as well as a surprising number of MYP characters and a few 200X versions such as Snake Armor, Ie Armor, and (I hope and pray!) Jungle Attack He-Man!!!...
    Jungle Attack He-Man... isn't his name Oo-lar?
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

No, Oo-Lar was the "Savage He-Man" from the early mini comics. Jungle Attack He-Man was just one of those (IMO) horrible variants produced in the 200X series - no significant story was developed for it.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

What do you guys think?
    I think there's no reason to worry. TG has said that the line is PLANNED through 2016. They've already mentioned 2017. Six years has nothing to do with the longevity of the line as long as product continues to fly off the matty site. No doubt, if the Classics line is chugging along as strong in 2015/2016 as it is now, TG will begin to talk about plans through 2018, 2019.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    I hope that most of the characters will get a MotUC figure, especially the ones we didn't see in the 200X line, such as Kobra Khan and Spikor. Oh yes, and I'd like to see Illumina in MotUC, as well as Lord Dactys, Warlord Prahvus and Veena, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharella View Post
    I hope that most of the characters will get a MotUC figure, especially the ones we didn't see in the 200X line, such as Kobra Khan
    But they did make Kobra Khan. He was part of the Snake Men wave. I am really looking forward to his Classics incarnation though…and REALLY looking forward to Spikor!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Of course they won't get to everyone - they don't have most of the Filmation or 1987 movie rights, and even if they did we're not just talking about Shadow Weaver, Scorpia and Montork - that'd add up to well over a hundred extra identifiable characters, and probably over 200.

Ultimately, I doubt they'll even get to all the MYP and comic characters they *can* do.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

I know you're joking, but I wouldn't be against the design of JA HM being used for Oo-Lar.

No, Oo-Lar was the "Savage He-Man" from the early mini comics. Jungle Attack He-Man was just one of those (IMO) horrible variants produced in the 200X series - no significant story was developed for it.
    Watch out, pal, them's fightin' words!

Seriously, though, you'll run into flak by some stating that those minis were not Oo-Lar but He-Man, but I know what you're getting at. It stands to reason that Oo-Lar will have the "leaving my jungle tribe behind to fight evil in the land, hey that green babe is in trouble" origin that the earliest mini-comic He-Man had.

I would be OK with Mattel using Adam's Jungle Attack look for Oo-Lar though, as it would set him apart from the other he-men, just as Wun-Dar and Vikor look quite different from Adam.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    I don't know if Oo-Lar will get that in his bio, didn't they say in Wun-Dar's that he was the He-Man that rescued the Green Goddess?
    When I'm lifting heavy objects I sometimes shout, "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL"

I think the original mini comic He-Man as Oo-Lar would be very boring. That design is only appealing to me as He-Man's origin (or possibly King Grayskull's), but I'd rather Oo-Lar had more to him than that. I'd expect a wild jungle-based "He-man" to look much better than just barefoot He-Man. Jungle Attack He-Man might be okay as a starting point (the camouflage markings and headband), but he too could use something more to make him worth the bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle of Grayskul View Post
    I don't know if Oo-Lar will get that in his bio, didn't they say in Wun-Dar's that he was the He-Man that rescued the Green Goddess?
    Maybe they all meet her that way? She stages a damsel in distress scenario to evaluate their worth. She's a Goddess after all, she shouldn't actually need help.

The characters I don't think will get figures are the ones that are obscure but not easy to make. Vormus and Sortech from MYP can be made, but they'd be too hard because they're scrawny old guys--and MOTUC doesn't make guys who don't have the muscular builds (unless the Horsemen make 200x Adam with those guys in mind).
    Last edited by gbagok; August 28, 2010 at 12:56pm.

Great points, all.

Having a "scrawny" buck would open up many possibilities...

I would like a Sortek figure...

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think the original mini comic He-Man as Oo-Lar would be very boring. That design is only appealing to me as He-Man's origin (or possibly King Grayskull's), but I'd rather Oo-Lar had more to him than that. I'd expect a wild jungle-based "He-man" to look much better than just barefoot He-Man. Jungle Attack He-Man might be okay as a starting point (the camouflage markings and headband), but he too could use something more to make him worth the bother.

Maybe they all meet her that way? She stages a damsel in distress scenario to evaluate their worth. She's a Goddess after all, she shouldn't actually need help.

The characters I don't think will get figures are the ones that are obscure but not easy to make. Vormus and Sortech from MYP can be made, but they'd be too hard because they're scrawny old guys--and MOTUC doesn't make guys who don't have the muscular builds (unless the Horsemen make 200x Adam with those guys in mind).
    That's a good point, she certainly could, that makes me wonder if she just sits around for days being attacked until someone finally steps up and tries to help her

No I get what you're saying, she appears to be attacked and defenseless in front of the next-to-be He-Man as a final test to prove the man she suspects to be the next guardian of the power is in fact worthy. That works for me.

However I respectably disagree with the your concept for an Oo-lar figure. I guess Oo-lar can have more to him as long as we still get a figure of the a Jungle He-man with simply a loin cloth, spear, barefoot, and no arm bands. I know there are a number of us here that want that exact figure. And it would require a lot of retooling and new sculpts with the barefeet and arms without wristbands. Whether that means he shows up as the subscription exclusive or a con exclusive, I hope we get that figure
    When I'm lifting heavy objects I sometimes shout, "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL"

I think the idea of combining the Oo-lar story with the Jungle Attack He-Man would be a good idea. The thing I didn't like about variants in the original and 200X lines was the lack of story relevance in the cartoon series. The only variants I got as a kid were BA He-Man and Skeletor, and Dragon Blaster Skele - and they were holiday gifts - I didn't ask for them because they weren't in the show.

He-Man never needed to take on battle armor or flying fists in the Filmation show - so I had no interest in the toys. The MYP show did a better job of introducing some of the variants, and explaining why they were needed. But really, some of those variants were a little out there...fighting words, I know, but really...

I'm excited to see how MOTUC ties all of the variants into the story JA HM being combined with Oo-lar would be a good approach, and it would save the 4H and Matty the need to create 2 separate figures.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    But they did make Kobra Khan. He was part of the Snake Men wave. I am really looking forward to his Classics incarnation though…and REALLY looking forward to Spikor!

That's what I meant. I was looking forward to seeing him as staction (as Faker and Kobra Khan should originally come as stactions, but then the 200X line was canceled) and am curious how he will be looking as Classics variant...

I also thought of Oo-Lar as Jungle Attack He-Man; that would be really cool. While Wun-Dar is the savage He-Man with Zodac's weapon and armor, Oo-Lar has (in my imagination) the look of the 200X Jungle Attack He-Man (with bandeau, the green camouflage paintings and of course the very cool daggers and crossbow). Jungle Attack He-Man is one of my favourite He-Man variants from the 200X line, anyway! I like him and Ice Armor He-Man most of all.
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; August 28, 2010 at 06:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost