Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 014 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 014 Discussion!

Episode 014 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra. "Pixel Dan" Eardley is off this week.

First we talk about the Prince Adam missing sword holder issue,
    then fan factions,
    and we follow up on the 200x head elimination and the related He-Man.org fan poll.

After that, we cover the rest of the SDCC figure reveals. This time, Grizzlor, Club Eternia Disguised He-Man, Buzz-Off, the Stratos and Mer-Man repaints, the Weapons Rack and new Weapons Assortment, Shadow Beast and King Hiss.

A few highlights of the show:
    • Monster Munch!
    • Eamon loves a good rack!
    • Toxic Waste Candy!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 014

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

YEAY!!!
    Plugging in now

Downloading now! My BlackBerry just made a noise I didn't recognize; was the Podcast apps telling me there was a new ep! This and new Aw Yeah! has made my night!

Now I just need to get around to leaving a voice mail.

EDIT:

Collectible of the Week: The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe DVD
    Fan Art of the Week: Zodac,man-at-arms,he-man by Deimos
    Fan Site of the Week: http://www.new-adventures.de/
    Last edited by josh; August 26, 2010 at 04:29am.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Enjoyed the tour de force of SDCC reveals in this edition.

Like the love for Buzz Off and Cosmic Key.
    Cool idea about glow in dark Shadow Beast eyes ... wish we were getting that!

While I appreciate the discussion by Emiliano about King Hiss, I personally don't agree with all of his comments or all his "debunking".

While I'm not particularly affronted about the bendy-plastic snake-arms, the lack of hinged jaws on the arm snakes remains a very real disappointment for me. And I really don't think many fans would have criticised hard-plastic sculpted snake arms if they came with hinged jaws, so long as there were shoulder joint articulation at least.

It would be great if the Gooble team could in a future edition obtain from the 4H an explanation as to why the 6th snake (wrapped around the central neck) was not included in the sculpt.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    It would be great if the Gooble team could in a future edition obtain from the 4H an explanation as to why the 6th snake (wrapped around the central neck) was not included in the sculpt.
    OMG yes! This! ^^
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

So every He-fan should go to SDCC once a lifetime like a pelgrimage? LOL.

I understand what Eamon is saying about Bow and diagree with the Sicilian. To make Pop fit into Classics, the Horseman are doing exactly the right thing. Give them their artistical liberty and let them roll! Saying that they have to be more true to the Pop toys is a bit silly. It is a new style called MOTUC.

I had a revelation: it is loin cloth, not lion cloth. Thanks JVS. At first I thought you were pronouncing lion very weird..

As for King Hisss, you guys are pushing that he looks realistic. I really don't need my motuc figures to be realistic, I want my motus figures to be cool. Why is realistic suddenly so important in Motuc? What figure is realistic in Motuc anyway?
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; August 26, 2010 at 05:19am.

Downloading now... Will listen to it as I work tomorrow.

These podcasts are the hi-light of my week! I love my geek-out time.
    "I find the movie "Annie" totally unbelievable. Given the option, who would adopt a ranga?"

Mean-Girls.org
    Are you a "Plastic"?

Treat your customers with respect, NO MORE PAINTED BLACK PLASTIC MATTEL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    It is a new style called MOTUC.
    The "new style" is completely inspired by the vintage style of sculpting and designing. That's what the 4H want to do

As for King Hisss, you guys are pushing that he looks realistic. I really don't need my motuc figures to be realistic, I want my motus figures to be cool.
    I'm not saying that the figures need to be realistic.
    I'm just saying that the snakes (Not the whole snake form, the single snakes) are realistically sculpted and have reference in real animals, two different things
    Last edited by Emiliano; August 26, 2010 at 05:19am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The "new style" is completely inspired by the vintage style of sculpting and designing. That's what the 4H want to do
    But the vintage He-man MOTU style, not the vintage POP style. Which was different, right?

As for the snakes, I would have loved them to be all a bit bigger like how Hisss was in your comics.
    Maybe we will get that eventually if we get the Egyptian version.
    I am fine with the Realistic style. It was just funny to hear a discussion about a giant human bee and then hear the word realistic used for the snakes
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; August 26, 2010 at 05:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    While I appreciate the discussion by Emiliano about King Hiss, I personally don't agree with all of his comments or all his "debunking".

While I'm not particularly affronted about the bendy-plastic snake-arms, the lack of hinged jaws on the arm snakes remains a very real disappointment for me. And I really don't think many fans would have criticised hard-plastic sculpted snake arms if they came with hinged jaws, so long as there were shoulder joint articulation at least.
    I have to agree with you on this. Since Toybiz were able to give the Marvel Legends Doctor Octopus figure articulated claws at the ends of his bendy tentacles, it should be possible to do the same sort of thing with the jaws on Hiss's snakes.

But the vintage He-man MOTU style, not the vintage POP style. Which was different, right?
    Oh yes absolutely
    Their idea would be to translate the POP characters to vintage style MOTU toys, like they were always part of that line.
    But also, for the 4H is very important to make the most iconic representation of the characters. And as we can see, for She-Ra and Adora it's the cartoon version.
    Bow is just slightly different from those other 2 and has design elements that no one would have used in the eighties.
    I really need to start a thread about action figures designs to explain all this stuff more in deep, it's something I wanted to do for a while, but I need to sketch examples for that, and never had time.

I really need to start a thread about action figures designs to explain all this stuff more in deep, it's something I wanted to do for a while, but I need to sketch examples for that, and never had time.
    Any thread that will feature sketches to illustrate points, is a-okay in my books.

Bring it on!

As for King Hisss, you guys are pushing that he looks realistic. I really don't need my motuc figures to be realistic, I want my motus figures to be cool. Why is realistic suddenly so important in Motuc? What figure is realistic in Motuc anyway?
    I'm not saying that the figures need to be realistic.
    I'm just saying that the snakes (Not the whole snake form, the single snakes) are realistically sculpted and have reference in real animals, two different things
    I have to admit I was chuckling to myself while listening to you debunk/justify the fan criticism of Hiss' central snake teeth being too close together ("rabbit teeth") as potentially being accurate in design with the teeth of some real snakes.

I'm sure you are right Emiliano and the 4H may have modelled the teeth on a real snake ... but it still looks strange IMO.

So, being slightly better informed now, I am prepared to change my criticism from a blanket hate of the rabbit teeth to a forelorn wish that the 4H had modelled Hiss on a snake with teeth spread more further apart instead of on a poor buck-toothed creature.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I have to agree with you on this. Since Toybiz were able to give the Marvel Legends Doctor Octopus figure articulated claws at the ends of his bendy tentacles, it should be possible to do the same sort of thing with the jaws on Hiss's snakes.
    I also believe it's possible to put articulated stuff at the end of the bendy snakes.
    But I don't think it will happen purely because of the size of the lower jaws (they are pretty tiny like was mentioned on the show) and because of the extra cost involved.

There's only so much they can do to realize a figure like that which has so many new parts.
    I guess they could bump the price point on just him to accomplish doing more, but maybe they don't want to take the risk?
    There's also the inability to repurpose most of his parts like was mentioned on the show, and repurposing appears to be a major (and possibly necessary?) component of MOTUC.

To compare against ToyBiz, which was in major retailers and no doubt at the time sold way more than MOTUC, probably isn't the best realization about what options are available for this line.

I dunno. *shrugs*
    I could be 100% wrong about all of this.
    There's no way to know for certain unless Mattel clarifies.

But as-is, I still think he's a swell figure.
    He's going to sell out quickly.

Great episode again guys though I am looking forward to you getting back to the bios.
    Emiliano I cant believe you don't have a smoke alarm pal!
    I love both the styles of Adora/She-Ra and Bow. I also like the new head band on Bow, not sure how much I would like a solid gold sweat band style one like the classic, has anybody done a mock up of what this might look like?
    I wonder if you guys would of preferred the third classic head without no head band that the 4HM did?
    I agree with Eamon about the Grizzlor face it is a bit goofy and can see the Monster Munch look (do a google image search for Monster Munch). I can see where Val is coming from wit the voodoo style in the 200x Grizzlor loincloth but I personally really like and wish we had gotten the face as well.
    Eamon dressed as Grizzlor for next years SDCC, now that would be cool, a ginger Grizzlor!
    I was surprised to hear Emiliano was happier to get Orko then Marzo, Marzo is my favourite figure in the line so far.
    I also don't like the the bright coloured weapons and hope the weapons rack weapons are realistic coloured.
    I do like the King Hiss figure but agree this midsection is a bit too clean cut and would of preferred some kind of blending between the two.
    As for the preternia disguise He-Man, I'm just not bothered about this figure at all, he looks like he's going to rob a bank.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    As for the preternia disguise He-Man, I'm just not bothered about this figure at all, he looks like he's going to rob a bank.
    That's because he's going to rob many a fan's bank account!
    Robbor ...Evil Master of Taking Your Money

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Any thread that will feature sketches to illustrate points, is a-okay in my books.

Bring it on!
    Especially Emiliano's sketches!

BEST MOTU artist evah!!!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

More Gooble for the masses!

I'm almost certain something like that happened with Adam's holster. It wouldn't really make any sense for it to happen otherwise. Unfortunately some fans are very kneejerk about going into rage mode.

Gotta say I don't agree about with Bow figure. I think this is mostly one of those questions where only people who do a lot of sculpting and design themselves feel something is "off". I have total faith in the 4H and think Bow is a huge improvement over Adora and She-Ra. Just speaking as a non-creative fan, personally.

Sure it's a bummer that we don't get two heads for Grizzlor, but at least he's LOADED with accessories and there's the potential for a second release with an extra head, no? I like both versions!

Eamon: I don't have an Eternia either, I think a lot of people are missing one.

Another interesting run. I can't wait for more bios next week!

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I was surprised to hear Emiliano was happier to get Orko then Marzo, Marzo is my favourite figure in the line so far.
    Orko has always been my facorite character and I think this is THE perfect Orko toy, so of course I had to be excited!
    I'm so emotionally attached to Orko, that even the excitement for a new cool figure like Marzo can get anywhere close to Orko

Heroic Warrior
    I´m not agreeing with Eamon in the colors of weapons...

For me the multicoloring of the accessories are a big bonus for my figures in the 80`s and so they are now.

All weapons colored in realistic grey shades would be boring imo...

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    looks like another yummy episode!!! I will be downloading it to my ipod later today!!

I think I remember the guy you had to ban regarding complaining about Grizzlor. Wasn't he stating that by deleting his posts, that you were taking away his freedom of speech? If so, that guy was hilarious.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Just downloaded and listening now. Always awesome and fun!

Orko has always been my facorite character and I think this is THE perfect Orko toy, so of course I had to be excited!
    I'm so emotionally attached to Orko, that even the excitement for a new cool figure like Marzo can get anywhere close to Orko
    Orko is awesome. The best thing is now we have an Orko that fits in better with the vintage figures than the original Orko toy did. I'm thinking of getting an extra when he's reissued for my vintage collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I´m not agreeing with Eamon in the colors of weapons...

For me the multicoloring of the accessories are a big bonus for my figures in the 80`s and so they are now.

All weapons colored in realistic grey shades would be boring imo...
    Me too, I definitely prefer the bright green Scare Glow scythe & orange Whiplash spear to the weapons pak ones.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    We need gang signs.

We have the squabbles that we do because occasionally, some fan tries to tell the other MOTU fans that they should be getting what that particular fan wants. Usually this is a vintage purist (which isn't all vintage fans) who doesn't like anything except the 80's MOTU toyline only.

For example, some vintage purists don't like the 200X heads and WILL go as far as to tell others that they shouldn't belong in Classics because the line is Masters of the Universe CLASSICS, meaning "devoid of any 200X elements". When they start complaining about elements that they could easily throw away or sell, they are imposing on fans who DO enjoy those things. The purists could hate 200X all they want, just don't ruin MOTUC for everyone else who do enjoy those elements.

It's the same thing with the occasional "Why are POP/NA characters in my subscription? This isn't POP/NA Classics!". Again, people trying to throw their preferences onto the rest of us.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 26, 2010 at 01:53pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr