Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does She-Ra & POP Belong In MOTUC?

Does She-Ra & POP Belong In MOTUC?

Let me start off by saying I've been a fan of She-Ra since I first went to the theater as a kid to see The Secret Of The Sword, I regularly watched the Filmation show after school, and I even had a She-Ra toy from the POP line as a kid(although I kept that little secret from my friends). I'm just playing devil's advocate with this thread since it seems there are a lot of fans out there who want nothing to do with She-Ra, her friends, or her villains(except for those released as a part of the MOTU vintage line).

If you dislike POP, why?

- The toyline was geared towards girls?
    - Disliked the She-Ra cartoon?
    - Like Prince Adam/He-Man better as an only child with unique abilities?
    - The characters take away from vintage, NA, and/or 2002 releases?

If you like POP, would you want any changes with their MOTUC releases?

- Make the POP toys closer to the vintage toys?
    - Not a fan of the MOTU characters & feel it weakens the POP property?
    - Want POP to have its own release separate from MOTUC?

I don't want this thread to turn into a faction war. I'm just curious about what people feel about She-Ra, POP, and if they belong in the same line as He-Man for the first time ever(the 2002 line only had a SDCC exclusive). I hope we can have an intelligent discussion without resorting to name calling or the typical stereotypes that often pop up during similar discussions on the topic.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Well, I can't claim to being a PoP fan at all, since I didn't watch the show or collect the toys. (I had 'outgrown' toys by then.)
    Basically, I have no frame of reference to PoP or NA at all.

Still, when it comes to figures I'm not familiar with, I tend to judge the figure purely on the basis of the sculpt. If it looks cool, I'll buy it. I don't want to be closed-minded and buy only things familiar to me.
    So for that reason I have She-Ra and Optikk arriving this week from a 3rd party, and I'm looking forward to having them in my collection.
    They definitely belong in the line from a sculpting point of view, and I'm looking forward to reading the bios.

I'm happy POP is a part of MOTUC, but I would like to see updates of the classic figures and a more balanced approach with the ratio between POP and MOTU. Also, there should be no reason whatsoever why POP can't get more than one body style.

At the same time, I think a separate POP line (with its own budget) is long overdue. A revamp of POP has just as much of a chance of being successful as Monster High.

I only got into POP as a child with the cartoon, the toys were to girly, so my family wouldn't have bought them for me even if I wanted them, so for me, figures that look similar to the cartoons and fit in with the MOTU figures are want I would want (and what we are getting)

That being said, even though that's my priority, I wouldn't say only do them in that style, as I know there are a lot of fans who prefer the toy style, so I would like to see variants in those styles for those fans
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    *sigh*

I'm happy to see the motive behind this thread is to find out people's real thoughts, opinions or motives, but I'm sure many will feel "Oh lawd, not THIS again!"

Anyhow, here's my take:

- I love PoP, always have, always will (unless it's severely butchered somehow...like the propsed Jem-like relaunch. Nothing against Jem, but Jem isn't PoP).

The MOTUC versions of PoP are quite the quandry. MOTU doesn't really have that much of a problem because Filmation, 80's toys, books and 200X are all similar. Different takes on the characters, true, but when they are MOTUC-ized, they are basically the same (with certain 200X and Filmation characters being the exception. Clawful fits into all these categories).

PoP, however has some very large differences from Filmation, comics and toys. I love all PoP designs, for the most part, but here's what I would like to see done:

- Pure Filmation She-Ra and Catra (we already got She-Ra)
    - Pure Toy Catra and She-Ra A-List variants
    - Toy versions of the rest of the characters with extra "Filmation heads" where appropriate (like Glimmer: she has a different crown on each version and one has curly hair, the other straight).

I like PoP being a part of MOTUC, but I think it would be awesome to have rooted heads and materical capes (same with MOTUC men, like Scareglow, He-Ro, King Randor, etc.) and skirts. This would improve poseability and articulation. Like She-Ra...she can't ride Battle Cate, sit, get in a dynamic fighting pose, etc. all because of her skirt. I do NOT like the slits up the side like they have on Preternia He-Man. That looks ugly.

So...I think it would be cool if we could somehow get those figures released like that...eventually.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    - I love PoP, always have, always will (unless it's severely butchered somehow...like the propsed Jem-like relaunch. Nothing against Jem, but Jem isn't PoP).
    I think it could work, as long as they don't go overboard. Even the original cartoon had a musical element to it, what with the singing in the Christmas Special and there being a video for "I Have The Power." As long as the heart of the revamped toy line / show is generally the same, I don't see why it's that big of a deal to have the occasional music video etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Hum... YES, OF COURSE, She-Ra and POP belong in MOTUC ! That was stated from the beginning.

POP might get even more interesting if we were able to get characters like the Star Sisters.

Or Scorpia, Shadow Weaver, Vultak or Octavia... Let's keep the fingers crossed for the purchase of the Filmation rights by Mattel !

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    I never had any PoP figures besides Bow and She-Ra as a kid but they factored in heavily with my MOTU play time. In my opinion they totally belong in MOTUC.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I never had any POP toys as a kid and I didn't watch the cartoon. I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of hers but I believe She-Ra and POP belong in MOTUC. She is He-Man's sister, after all...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    *sigh*

I'm happy to see the motive behind this thread is to find out people's real thoughts, opinions or motives, but I'm sure many will feel "Oh lawd, not THIS again!"
    Amen to that!!! I saw the the title of the thread and said out loud 'Oh for !%@&* sake!!' and was ready to come in all guns blazing!

But then I saw the Author was Shokoti and that threw me!

Anyhoo, great thread and I will add my thoughts after work (no time now!)
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 30, 2010 at 07:55pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    H
    POP might get even more interesting if we were able to get characters like the Star Sisters.

Or Scorpia, Shadow Weaver, Vultak or Octavia... Let's keep the fingers crossed for the purchase of the Filmation rights by Mattel !
    I'm ready for some excitement. I'm 33 now. I don't want to be pushing 40 when they decide to do a new female buck.

I have always thought of POP as an offshoot of MOTU. Even as a kid POP simply took over for MOTU on weekday afternoons. It even had the Horde, which were my favorite figures as a kid.
    Now that said I did not own any POP figures as a kid, just a bit to girly for me back then. My Horde figures always fought He-man. But in terms of story POP and MOTU are one in the same and completly connected.
    So for MOTUC I think POP fits just fine as long as they keep doing them like She-Ra and not with the rooted hair of the 80's.

Of course POP belongs in MOTU.

POP was a direct spin-off of MOTU so yes it is part of the MOTU family.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I only got into POP as a child with the cartoon, the toys were to girly, so my family wouldn't have bought them for me even if I wanted them, so for me, figures that look similar to the cartoons and fit in with the MOTU figures are want I would want (and what we are getting)

That being said, even though that's my priority, I wouldn't say only do them in that style, as I know there are a lot of fans who prefer the toy style, so I would like to see variants in those styles for those fans
    That's about how I feel as well.

I loved the POP cartoon, in fact I probably like it even more that MOTU. I though can't stand the figures at all. They were atrocious.

I will admit that one of the things that I loved about POP was the fact that the Horde was in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I never had any POP toys as a kid and I didn't watch the cartoon. I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of hers but I believe She-Ra and POP belong in MOTUC. She is He-Man's sister, after all...
    Plus in Catra and Entrapta, you get 2 hot evil females to add to The Evil Horde
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Or possibly more..... Depends how you look at it, I never saw the cartoon as a kid, so I created more villains for Catra to lead!

I decided characters with 'Evil' looking powers were baddies!

Frosta-Ice maiden/Witch
    Netossa - Hunter (ala Tri klops)
    Spinnerella - Spider queen (ala webstor)
    Double Trouble - two faced Spy for Catra.

and thats how they will remain in MOTUC, when they are released they will be Baddies for me!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

POP is part of Motu and it should be part of the Classics line. I was never really into She-ra and I am still pretty inifferent towards the characters, but they belong in this line, as much as NA, 200x and vintage.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Of course She-Ra belongs, as well as the whole of the POP mythology and characters. She-Ra, Glimmer and Bow are as much a part of MOTU as He-Man, Trap-Jaw and Skeletor, IMO.

Do you really want my opinion? Uh oh. Well, here goes:

POP sucks.

Didn't like it then, don't like it now. It was a girl's line, aimed at girls. It is not MOTU, but instead related to it, just as NA is related. They are not the same.

That said, I would NEVER kick She-Ra out of bed. But I honestly respect Teela more. And with that said, I think what the Horsemen did with She-Ra, Adora, and even effeminate Bow is pretty astonishing. They are good-looking figures, even if they still don't look like the rest of the MOTU figures--but they are closer and look far better.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I have no idea what went on in the POP minicomics, so I can't comment on that story.

I do know that the concept of the Filmation POP cartoon was great, and it never felt to me like a girl cartoon (except for the little touch of relationship suggestiveness here and there). And I didn't watch it until last year, so that's me looking at it now.

I think POP is a logical extension of the MOTU Universe, and belongs in the cannon as much as 200X stuff does.

I haven't seen any NA, so I'll reserve my commentary until I do.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm a rather recent POP fan (although not hardcore) and they definitely belong in MOTUC, but one criticism I have is how autonomous POP is. Here's what I would do:

1) I'd barbarian them up some. Add some details to these beauties so that they are more like Teela and Evil-Lyn with furry boots and "warrior goddess" bracelets. Get funky with the intricate details on those outfits.

2) I'm not too crazy about the Prince Adam idea...but I hated how the "Sorceress makes everyone forget about her" retcon. That's MY "Mystic Wall".

I'd prefer it if She-Ra were some brand new character completely unrelated to He-Man--a romantic rival to Teela, sort of a "Gwen Stacy" to Teela's "Mary Jane" or "Wonder Woman to Teela's "Lois". Someone else worthy recently became of age to wield the other power sword. This one is a woman.

3) Instead of being based on Etheria, the POP "warrior goddesses" would be Eternians. Keep their kingdoms, but now they are all on Eternia. Mysticore, Castle Chill, Brightmoon, Whispering Woods, Spikehart...all Eternian lands. There is no rebellion, but the ladies have formed a sisterhood of "strong Eternian women" of sorts, similar to Randor's Council of Good. As for Bow...he prefers to woo hot babes with his music and charms, rather than join Randor's sausage party.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 30, 2010 at 09:24pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, I personally choose not to sexualize 6" plastic representations of females but I can agree that evil is awesome and Catra and Entrapta would be excellent "visually interesting" characters with unique designs.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

- Make the POP toys closer to the vintage toys?
    - Not a fan of the MOTU characters & feel it weakens the POP property?
    - Want POP to have its own release separate from MOTUC?

I don't want this thread to turn into a faction war. I'm just curious about what people feel about She-Ra, POP, and if they belong in the same line as He-Man for the first time ever(the 2002 line only had a SDCC exclusive). I hope we can have an intelligent discussion without resorting to name calling or the typical stereotypes that often pop up during similar discussions on the topic.
    I feel that She-Ra and her gang very much belong and have a place
    within MOTUC. I understand that many think that POP in MOTU is
    subjective, but whether or not one embraces it or not, it wouldn't
    change the fact that both are connected to each other. You can't
    divorce the two simply because you may not like it, people take a
    similar approach when it comes to the Star Wars prequels.

So IMHO I don't believe its wise to have POP as its own individual line
    because such a thing would only reinforce the idea that MOTU and POP
    are completely separate entities when they're both inherently intertwined.
    Granted I was never into the original POP toyline by the mere fact that
    I didn't find them very compatible with the original MOTU line aesthetically
    speaking. I always thought that the figures of the line should have been
    more akin to Teela, Evil Lyn and Sorceress. So for me, MOTUC has
    been a long time in coming as we can now have a truly cohesive line that
    visually unites MOTU and POP.

Yes they do belong! I'm happy to have a line of action figures that encompasses ALL Masters of the Universe characters under one Classics banner!
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

I am thrilled that POP is being included in this line (as well as every other walk of MOTU, from NA to 200X to MVC to MYP to Concept Art to potentially Jetlag and Filmation to Mini-Comics to who-knows-what). The all-inclusiveness is what is making it my favorite toyline ever (and this from a diehard Hasbro/Star Wars collector until fairly recently).

I am interested in how Mattel and the Horsemen handle the looks of the rest of the POP gang. If Bow is any inclination, we are in for many great treats!

I fervently hope that we get all of the POP figures (as well as other toys such as Clawdeen, Enchanta, Glory Bird, etc.) in Classics (yes, the Star Sisters too-we know at least one Tall member here will not rest unless this is so! ).

Besides, toys of hot chicks are always welome on my shelves!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'd prefer it if She-Ra were some brand new character completely unrelated to He-Man--a romantic rival to Teela, sort of a "Gwen Stacy" to Teela's "Mary Jane" or "Wonder Woman to Teela's "Lois". Someone else worthy recently became of age to wield the other power sword. This one is a woman.
    Admit it. You only want She-Ra to not be related to He-Man so your "He-Man Loves She-Ra" fan fiction is considered less taboo. (I keed, I keed.)

Instead of being based on Etheria, the POP "warrior goddesses" would be Eternians. Keep their kingdoms, but now they are all on Eternia. Mysticore, Castle Chill, Brightmoon, Whispering Woods, Spikehart...all Eternian lands.
    While I'm OK with the concept of the planet Etheria, I really wish they played up the kingdom aspect more in MOTUC instead of the whole dimension thing.

As for Bow...he prefers to woo hot babes with his music and charms, rather than join Randor's sausage party.

Now I'm just picturing Randor as Eternia's version of Caligula.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 30, 2010 at 09:28pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!