Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does She-Ra & POP Belong In MOTUC?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    1) I'd barbarian them up some. Add some details to these beauties so that they are more like Teela and Evil-Lyn with furry boots and "warrior goddess" bracelets. Get funky with the intricate details on those outfits.
    I don't know. I see PoP as MOTU with women, and not everyone in MOTU is a barbarian.

- Catra is Barbarian: furry loincloth, furry gloves (like the MOTU men and women boots). She's also a powerful Sorceress in the minis.
    - Entrapta seems cyborg with her metallic, made of metal body...and she's an inventor. So, I see Trap-Jaw or Roboto as her counterpart.
    - She-Ra is like He-Ro.
    - Perfuma is Mossman. She's a flower, he's moss.
    - Sweet Bee is Buzz-Off. I like to think Buzz-Off has the techno virus (because of his robot wings), and he and his hive have been on Eternia for a long time so they have become "savage," if you will. Sweet Bee's hive is peaceful and other-worldly. Her boots (toy version) are pretty Grecian.
    - Double Trouble is Man-E-Faces...with a better storyline...and costume...and colouring.

There are more, but I better stop.

2) I'm not too crazy about the Prince Adam idea...but I hated how the "Sorceress makes everyone forget about her" retcon. That's MY "Mystic Wall".
    I was okay with it. There are many shows that deal with the "something terrible happened...some magical being can take it away...do you want it taken away."

In this story, the majority said yes...OR the King and Queen ordered it because the populace was terrified of the Horde (stealing the Princess), chaos emerged and everyone had lost faith in their leaders. Mind wipe, and everything's okay again.

I'd prefer it if She-Ra were some brand new character completely unrelated to He-Man--a romantic rival to Teela, sort of a "Gwen Stacy" to Teela's "Mary Jane" or "Wonder Woman to Teela's "Lois". Someone else worthy recently became of age to wield the other power sword. This one is a woman.
    I can't stress how much I would be upset with that. Their sibling relationship was always very special to me, and I cry my eyes out everytime teh family is re-united, Adora is kidnapped again and when she tells her father she has to leave. It's profound.

I think making her some "female love interest," "sex kitten" or have an "oh, and then this happened" is kind of demeaning or lame. In the story how it was, Adora and Adam were supposed to wield the swords at the same time...but she was kidnapped and the Sorceress didn't know where she was located.

3) Instead of being based on Etheria, the POP "warrior goddesses" would be Eternians. Keep their kingdoms, but now they are all on Eternia. Mysticore, Castle Chill, Brightmoon, Whispering Woods, Spikehart...all Eternian lands. There is no rebellion, but the ladies have formed a sisterhood of "strong Eternian women" of sorts, similar to Randor's Council of Good. As for Bow...he prefers to woo hot babes with his music and charms, rather than join Randor's sausage party.
    I'll quote Shokoti on this one saying, this is Masters of the Universe, not Masters of Eternia. If Mattel keeps eliminating interplanetary travel, time-travel (NA happens now...yet we get Preternia He-Man, which is curious...) we have a generic warrior story.

Also, the rebels were a bunch of villagers, Twiggets, and powerful female warriors. I'd say it was evenly mixed, not mainly women.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 30, 2010 at 11:17pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It belongs due to the property saying so no matter what fans say. Like it or not, it's there. The only choice is just not buy it and not add it in one's collection.

For me, I've been fine with it and include it. I do not like some of the characters and do not want some of them in my collection. The only real change I'd like to see done is for all the female figures to have a redesigned crotch. Where they actually have a full female shape under the skirt. Plus on figures such as Adora, the jumpsuit should be solid through the legs and not a skirt.

But that's the same with male characters too. I'd rather them actually not just have like a t-bar under there. Over all it would help with posing and so many other things. Bow is a good example of what should be done.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't know. I see PoP as MOTU with women, and not everyone in MOTU is a barbarian.

- Catra is Barbarian: furry loincloth, furry gloves (like the MOTU men and women boots). She's also a powerful Sorceress in the minis.
    - Entrapta seems cyborg with her metallic, made of metal body...and she's an inventor. So, I see Trap-Jaw or Roboto as her counterpart.
    - She-Ra is like He-Ro.
    - Perfuma is Mossman. She's a flower, he's moss.
    - Sweet Bee is Buzz-Off. I like to think Buzz-Off has the techno virus (because of his robot wings), and he and his hive have been on Eternia for a long time so they have become "savage," if you will. Sweet Bee's hive is peaceful and other-worldly. Her boots (toy version) are pretty Grecian.
    - Double Trouble is Man-E-Faces...with a better storyline...and costume...and colouring.

There are more, but I better stop.
    I like all of your MOTU/POP comparisons. I like that some of the POP women are a little more feminine than the tomboy I see Teela as(although a feminine tomboy). It would be a little boring if all of the POP women were similar to Teela or She-Ra the same way it would be if all of the MOTU guys were He-Man clones.

I was okay with it. There are many shows that deal with the "something terrible happened...some magical being can take it away...do you want it taken away."
    Part of it is that, as a superhero fan, I'm used to the idea of a secret being kept when magic is used to wipe everyone's memory. The other thing is that since I liked the idea of He-Man having a powerful twin sister, the ends justified the means.

I'll quote Shokoti on this one saying, this is Masters of the Universe, not Masters of Eternia. If Mattel keeps eliminating interplanetary travel, time-travel (NA happens now...yet we get Preternia He-Man, which is curious...) we have a generic warrior story.
    I like the idea of different kingdoms on Eternia(it gets boring if the only place that there's action is around Randor's court), but I also like the idea of different planets in the MOTU universe. I just don't like the way MOTUC has made it, imo at least, a little confusing by putting Etheria in the same dimension that was Hordak's prison in the MYP toon. Unless Hordak is like Oscar the Grouch and hates anything that isn't "dirty" or "grimy", Etheria sure didn't look like a prison planet in the Filmation toon.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

POP & NA, Yes!

POP and NA belong, and Mattel, Inc. has made it so.
    And, as I stated in another forum:

Here is a novel thought! Plenty of us want more characters. Those who do not want more characters can buy only the ones they like and create whatever adventures they desire! Plenty people do not buy these figures to play with or for the bios for that matter — although they are nice — but rather for the art of the figures and their potential value later. Within those respects, Mattel, Inc. can create as many as possible.

I like the idea of different kingdoms on Eternia(it gets boring if the only place that there's action is around Randor's court), but I also like the idea of different planets in the MOTU universe. I just don't like the way MOTUC has made it, imo at least, a little confusing by putting Etheria in the same dimension that was Hordak's prison in the MYP toon. Unless Hordak is like Oscar the Grouch and hates anything that isn't "dirty" or "grimy", Etheria sure didn't look like a prison planet in the Filmation toon.
    Well, MOUTC is not to blame here for "putting Etheria in the same dimension that was Hordak's prison." That would MYP 200x's fault. Etheria, if I am correct, exists in the same universal, space-time continuum as Eternia as presented by Filmation series.
    Last edited by Alexxandar; August 30, 2010 at 11:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    Well, MOUTC is not to blame here for "putting Etheria in the same dimension that was Hordak's prison." That would MYP 200x's fault. Etheria, if I am correct, exists in the same universal, space-time continuum as Eternia as presented by Filmation series.
    Mattel chose to use that part from MYP ans secondly I don't know if MYP was going to even include She-Ra/Adora in the series. So who is to say that Etheria was acording to MYP in Despondos.

As far as I see POP in MOTUC:
    To me it doesn't belong there, because it was already their in my mind. Saying something belongs makes it seem like its on the outside looking in, when it's always been there as part of the Masters of the Universe-universe and I see NA the same way. I only had 2 figures from POP as a kid, but trust me I had to BEG to get those and they were Bow and She-ra. I didn't like them when I tried playing with them along side my other MOTU figs, but I love the Filmation cartoons and in there they were one universe. 2 seperate dimensions but one universe as in DC comics or Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If you like POP, would you want any changes with their MOTUC releases?

- Make the POP toys closer to the vintage toys?
    - Not a fan of the MOTU characters & feel it weakens the POP property?
    - Want POP to have its own release separate from MOTUC?
    The first change I would make with POP wouldn't be a POP change, it would actually be a complete female change: better buck & armor/clothing.

While i do like the style guide designs, I think the vintage toys had details that could and should be used better. Example: make Bow look less like NA He-Man by giving him a gloved left hand. Sadly, it would remove detail, but he wouldn't look like he walked into the wrong closet half asleep before getting dressed for the day. (Plus, Bow had awesome boots that we won't be getting in the MOTUC style. I really wanted to see those.)

I don't feel MOTU weakens POP.

I wouldn't mind an additional/new POP line that isn't tied to MOTUC, but MOTUC needs POP.

...NA happens now...yet we get Preternia He-Man, which is curious...
    Quick tangent: maybe the Space Mutants have come back in time to the MOTUC "now" after having already been beaten by NA He-Man in the future? Though someone has probably thought of that already.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Oh yes it does!

Maybe Etheria didn't start off there, but Eternia wasn't the first place that Hordak tried to send to Despondos?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Well, i aint no pop fan, but this has to do more with the presence of the terribly boring evil horde than the gentle, scantly dressed girls that literally festooned the show. If cabbage-bat hordak belongs to MOTUC so does his nemesis, she-ra. And, from there, the whole pop range is not far away.

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    Here we go again... Answer is simple: yes.

In a word, yes.

I was attracted to She-Ra and friends by the cartoon and then bought the figures. I was always dumbfounded at why the likes of Glimmer and Angella looked so different...

I personally feel that the Style Guide designs fit MOTUC better and hope Mattel goes down that route for POP's inclusion in MOTUC. I also think that POP deserves some form of toy commemoration and think it'd be wonderful if the original toys were re-released much like MOTU was before the 200x series- and thus we'd finally get our hands on the Star Sisters and a reasonably-priced Spinnerella.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Heroic Warrior
    I'm very happy that POP is part of MOTUC.

It's great to have compatible figures since the characters are all from the same universe. I had She-Ra and Bow as a child (some kind of mix-up where my grandmother sent me a bunch of girl's toys for Christmas - not that I particularly minded getting a She-Ra and Bow since I was too young to differentiate between "girl's toys" and "boy's toys"), but I was annoyed that they didn't "fit" with my MOTU figures and I rarely played with them when I played with my MOTU toys.

That typed, with the exception of Bow, I'm a little disappointed by what we've seen of POP so far. While it's great that the 4H have given us cartoon-based versions of Adora and She-Ra, I find their designs to be quite plain when compared to all the other MOTUC figures. Putting She-Ra next to Teela makes She-Ra look particularly plain with her plain arm gauntlets, plain boots, plain white dress and plain "starburst" design compared to Teela's detailed gauntlets, boots and armour. Even She-Ra's tiara pales in comparison to Teela's tiara.

Going forward, I would like to see the 4H use the cartoon and toy designs as a basis, but take steps to improve the designs and make the far more warrior/Amazon-like and less "pretty dress/skirt and hair" style figures. After all, the women of POP were pretty formidable warriors (on both sides of the Horde war) and it would be great to see them looking like they would be more at home in a battle (like Teela) and less like they should be participating in a fashion parade (like She-Ra).

The improvements that the 4H made to Bow's design are definitely the kind of changes I would like to see made to other POP characters in the future.

Cheers.

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    @ Darkspecter: You forgot some other PoP characters:

- Scorpia is Clawful,
    - Netossa is Clamp Champ,
    - Angella is comparable with Stratos.

For me, PoP is and has always been a MotU spin-off series (as the cartoon was), and I appreciate that all the following listed MotU-related lines are now summarized under ONE LARGE, UNIQUE BANNER (the MotUC one):

- Masters of the Universe (80's/Vintage)
    - Princess of Power
    - Powers of Grayskull
    - The new Adventures of He-Man (NA)
    - MotU 200X.

PoP in MOTUC is great. The only issues I see are non-PoP problems (like the female buck). There are so many awesome character ideas/designs in PoP, they'll be brilliant in MOTUC.

I wouldn't mind a 2nd line dedicated to PoP so the 4H could do rooted hair etc and other stuff. But PoP has to stay in MOTUC and I don't want any major style changes.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharella View Post
    @ Darkspecter: You forgot some other PoP characters:

- Scorpia is Clawful,
    - Netossa is Clamp Champ,
    - Angella is comparable with Stratos.
    I know. I could go on all day with the comparisons. The biggest omission is:

- Mermista is Merman.

Here are some other interesting ones:

- Scareglow and Glimmer (both have glow-in-the dark powers. He blinds with fright, she blinds with light)
    - Evil-Lyn and Catra (both are evil Sorceresses. Catra lost that in the toon)

Out of all the PoP figures, the only one I really can't figure a counterpart out for is Flutterina. If they made Garth from Filmation MOTU, they're basically the same and even have a similar origin story...but as for released toys, I can't think of one.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Yes, you're right with Flutterina. I also tried to figure a counterpart for her several times, but I didn't manage. She's the only one of the PoP ladies that has no male "match".

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    That said, I would NEVER kick She-Ra out of bed.
    Dude, who would?

I would prefer they separate the POP line. I dont want my monthly subscription to go towards Perfuma or peekablue or whatever....

She-Ra and Bow are enough POP for me...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Randor, Man-At-Arms and Adam aren't barbarians, but they have the furry boots and underwear. I saw that as a unifying trait.

I can't stress how much I would be upset with that. Their sibling relationship was always very special to me, and I cry my eyes out everytime teh family is re-united, Adora is kidnapped again and when she tells her father she has to leave. It's profound.

I think making her some "female love interest," "sex kitten" or have an "oh, and then this happened" is kind of demeaning or lame. In the story how it was, Adora and Adam were supposed to wield the swords at the same time...but she was kidnapped and the Sorceress didn't know where she was located.
    I guess my problem is that Adam had a sister that he didn't know about. That no one knew about, except Sorceress, Randor, MAA and Marlena. The comic book fan in me HATES most enormous retcons. If the Sorceress could make Skeletor forget stuff, why not keep using that spell? Oy...discussing Filmation's magic rules are for another thread. I'd rather She-Ra be a new character than a lomg lost sister that no one has ever mentioned. Maybe if Adora was referenced from the beginning, I'd be more accepting of the concept of She-Ra as He-Man's sis.

MOTU isn't Phantasy Star.

I see MOTU and POP as a swords and sorcery story. Barbarian action! (This is a reference to a time when I said MOTU is Barbarian action and either Shokoti, Lay-Z or Whiplash corrected me about the other genres that compose MOTU).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I guess my problem is that Adam had a sister that he didn't know about. That no one knew about, except Sorceress, Randor, MAA and Marlena. The comic book fan in me HATES most enormous retcons. If the Sorceress could make Skeletor forget stuff, why not keep using that spell? Oy...discussing Filmation's magic rules are for another thread. I'd rather She-Ra be a new character than a lomg lost sister that no one has ever mentioned. Maybe if Adora was referenced from the beginning, I'd be more accepting of the concept of She-Ra as He-Man's sis.
    What if the people of Eternia didn't forget about Princess Adora due to magic but because they are self centered narcissists? Out of sight, out of mind. That could also explain why the Prince Adam version of He-Man seems so great to Eternians even though there were plenty of He-Men before him(Vikor, Oo-Larr, Wun-Dar).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

What if the people of Eternia didn't forget about Princess Adora due to magic but because they are self centered narcissists? Out of sight, out of mind. That could also explain why the Prince Adam version of He-Man seems so great to Eternians even though there were plenty of He-Men before him(Vikor, Oo-Larr, Wun-Dar).
    Well...at least Adora and She-Ra didn't appear due to a punch from Superboy Prime. IF MOTUC is part of the DC Universe...

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

In this story, the majority said yes...OR the King and Queen ordered it because the populace was terrified of the Horde (stealing the Princess), chaos emerged and everyone had lost faith in their leaders. Mind wipe, and everything's okay again.
    Only problem I ever had with that is that the potential story lines you could spin off it were never exploited. Now that Adora was back, the population of Eternia is aware that the king and Sorceress erased their minds. A nice little wedge Skeletor could use to undermine trust in the royals and Grayskull; if they erased that little tidbit, what else might they have erased without anyone knowing?

As for POP, I still have to go with the same line I've used for over two decades: without She-Ra, you only have half the mythos. She-Ra is part of MOTU, and MOTU is incomplete without her and Etheria.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Only problem I ever had with that is that the potential story lines you could spin off it were never exploited. Now that Adora was back, the population of Eternia is aware that the king and Sorceress erased their minds. A nice little wedge Skeletor could use to undermine trust in the royals and Grayskull; if they erased that little tidbit, what else might they have erased without anyone knowing?
    Have you been reading Identity Crisis?

As a guy, I watched She Ra as a kid and didn't think much of it (boys or girls show). I had the "cross-over" toys -- Hordak and his crew were on her show. The figures looked like dolls, though. I wanted to get a She Ra, but family didn't get them for me--because they were girls toys. No one had a problem with me owning a Teela or Evil-Lyn, though. Is it just the rooted hair? (on a similar note: I also wanted a Huckleberry Pie figure when I was little --he was a girl's toy so I wasn't allowed). Long story short-- gendering things can limit what you get to enjoy in life. I have no problem with plastic ladies in my collection, though. Why should I? They're usually pretty hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I only got into POP as a child with the cartoon, the toys were to girly, so my family wouldn't have bought them for me even if I wanted them, so for me, figures that look similar to the cartoons and fit in with the MOTU figures are want I would want (and what we are getting)

That being said, even though that's my priority, I wouldn't say only do them in that style, as I know there are a lot of fans who prefer the toy style, so I would like to see variants in those styles for those fans
    I 100% agree with this post. As long as the figures stay close to the cartoon look of the characters, by using the style guide designs then POP totally fits in with the MOTUC toyline.

I think the vast majority grew up with both Filmation cartoons, which made most folks MOTU/POP fans in the first place. Those shows fit together, so POP and MOTU in MOTUC does as well