Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Who Wanna See The 4H Do Direct Toy-Based POP Updates In MOTUC

For Those Who Wanna See The 4H Do Direct Toy-Based POP Updates In MOTUC

I started this thread on the MOTUC section of the 4H's FANtastic Forum.

http://www.fantasticexclusive.com/ff...?TOPIC_ID=5060

If you're wanting to see direct updates of the classic POP figures in MOTUC, please consider voicing your thoughts in that thread.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I am so in!! We may not be many (comparatively) but lets be loud!

Thanks so much for starting this, Darkspector and I were only discussing this recently!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Is it wrong to want FILMation heads and vintage toy features/costumes?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I just have to have Glimmer, Catra, Castaspella and Swift Wind in Filmation/Style Guide looks. The others I can take either way.

And this may be a silly question but is there promotional art besides the mini comics that shows the original toy styles that you are wanting? It is so hard to have an opinion based solely on the actual toys since they were so doll-like and all looked very similar in the face and hair (and I'm not a hater as I had most of these dolls with my Masters back in the day).

I don't necessarily want this. In the case of Catra it won't work, especially for her to be a member of the horde. The original toys were dolls marketed to girls. Quite frankly the head sculpts looked all the same, even Bow. I hope we get a combination of both style guide and original toy with better sculpting to something that will actually blend in with the line and look like it belongs.

Sorry Tally, I'm Style Guide/Filmation look all the way. I think this look suits the MOTUC brand better.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Sorry Tally, I'm Style Guide/Filmation look all the way. I think this look suits the MOTUC brand better.
    I agree with Scorpia on this issue. The closer that we can get to the Filmation look of the characters, the better!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I am so in!! We may not be many (comparatively) but lets be loud!

Thanks so much for starting this, Darkspector and I were only discussing this recently!
    yes! this is what i want. i want them to resemble the original action figures
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Me too... I had a bad childhood because this!
    Seriuosly, I was really really disappointed to canno't have a She-Ra like Filmation's as child!
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

________
    / | \\___
    /........|-.... |...... o\
    (@)-----------(@)-

I think i prefer the style guide for the most part but i think the 4HM will end up mixing the best parts.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Me too ... sorry

But anyway ... i love the time we stay together to give PoP a voice in Motuc.
    To see PoP in this line was THE REASON for me to go on .org.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I just have to have Glimmer, Catra, Castaspella and Swift Wind in Filmation/Style Guide looks. The others I can take either way.

And this may be a silly question but is there promotional art besides the mini comics that shows the original toy styles that you are wanting? It is so hard to have an opinion based solely on the actual toys since they were so doll-like and all looked very similar in the face and hair (and I'm not a hater as I had most of these dolls with my Masters back in the day).
    OK, I found the art I was asking for. I am most interested to see what they do with Glimmer. Nothing about her toy looks like it can fit into MOTUC and her Filmation design is boring. She is one of my most wanted only because she is so important to Filmation. . . And because I didn't have her as a child.

This thread isn't to say that style guide designs should totally be off the table But...We already got a style guide-inspired Adora and She-Ra, so in the spirit of fairness to give classic toy lovers a chance, and to be in line with the original mission statement, I think the 4H should do some pure toy updates. Catra has an awesome toy design. Let's see what they can do with her.

There seems to be a strong initial showing for classic toy designs too. Definitely something the 4H should consider.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    What category do I fall into? It really depends on the character for me. I want some of both.

I would love both a Filmation/Style Guide Catra and a old school toy Catra since that was one of the few POP I had as a kid.

Swift Wind I know some of you want to be based on the toy but that one I want based on Filmation or as close to it as possible.

I'm sure I'll be satisfied with whatever they throw at me though.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I love the Filmation series and I love the toys! As a child, I was disappointed some of the figures looked so different from the TV show, even though I loved them. However, as an adult, I appreciate the design for the toys more because the colours are more vivid, there's more detail and they're just more interesting!

Filmation took the toy designs, made them dull colours and took away the details, making the characters bland!

My least favourite Filmation designs are Perfuma and Castaspella. They couldn't hold a CANDLE to the toys! Filmation Perfuma looks like Little Miss Muffet.

Then there are some that are almost the exact same, just the colours are slightly different, like Frosta:

Here's a group shot of ALL the vintage toys:

ALL of the individual toy pictures drawn in Filmation/Styleguide style can be viewed here:

http://search.deviantart.com/?q=favb...47813&section=
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 13, 2010 at 05:04pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Question: how do you envision the skirts without the option to use tulle? That is one of the big if for me.

I think Glimmer will be based on the style guide. I actually think most of them will be based on the style guide, because it allows for more parts re-use. The boots and bracelets for She-Ra can be re-used for style guide Glimmer. I think that a Glimmer based on the vintage figure likely won't receive the unique sculpting she should get, which She-Ra should have had for her bracelets & boots! Thus, basing it on the vintage figure style, I think they would sacrifice sculpting detail (not like Teela had sculpting detail sacrificed!), and they wouldn't be the best renditions that they could be. I would be disappointed. Either do them right with unique sculpting, or not at all.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Question: how do you envision the skirts without the option to use tulle? That is one of the big if for me.
    They will be made the same way they make the loincloths, She-Ra's skirt and Teela's...dress thing.

Some of those drawings have the skirts exaggerated in length, but the toy versions would allow for much more movement because of all the pleats and cuts.

Lets use Castaspella as an example (since I have them both pictured above). Filmation/Styleguide Casta has a skirt like MOTUC She-Ra, which is VERY limited for movement.

Toy Casta has a skirt that is a bunch of triangles, so the legs would be more moble frontwards and side-to-side.

The key to making ALL the outfits is the plastic material. Mattel HAS to make sure it is very soft! No matter what design they choose Styleguide/Filmation or the toy design, if they have firm plastic...none of these ladies will be able to move. They will all be statues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I actually think most of them will be based on the style guide, because it allows for more parts re-use.
    I don't know about that. Most of the Filmation looks are unique. Some characters share arm bracelets and boots, but most do not.

The toys, however, share exact bodies:

- Castaspella is Entrapta
    - Catra chest is SweetBee's chest
    - SweetBee and Double Trouble share boots
    - Peekablue is Netossa
    - Flutterina is Spinnerella

etc.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 13, 2010 at 05:20pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    People, people, the Filmation designs are boring and the Mattel designs are tacky. Surely there's a happy middle.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    My least favourite Filmation designs are Perfuma and Castaspella. They couldn't hold a CANDLE to the toys!
    Castaspella is one that I would like a "hybrid" of. I really like the blue and gold combo and you just know they are going to give her the sparkley wheel thing. I mean what else could she possibly come with? I'd like her to come with a Mystacor ancient book of spells but that's definitely Filmation.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I still don't understand how you see this. A huge part of the look of the vintage toys and the drawings above is the very long and transparent skirt things. These usually tore and were lost on mine so I was never a fan. Do you see there just as a solid colored
    Skirt or transparent rubber? Would it just be split at the sides or at least longer on front like a loin cloth?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    They will be made the same way they make the loincloths, She-Ra's skirt and Teela's...dress thing.

Some of those drawings have the skirts exaggerated in length, but the toy versions would allow for much more movement because of all the pleats and cuts.

Lets use Castaspella as an example (since I have them both pictured above). Filmation/Styleguide Casta has a skirt like MOTUC She-Ra, which is VERY limited for movement.

Toy Casta has a skirt that is a bunch of triangles, so the legs would be more moble frontwards and side-to-side.

The key to making ALL the outfits is the plastic material. Mattel HAS to make sure it is very soft! No matter what design they choose Styleguide/Filmation or the toy design, if they have firm plastic...none of these ladies will be able to move. They will all be statues.

I still don't understand how you see this. A huge part of the look of the vintage toys and the drawings above is the very long and transparent skirt things. These usually tore and were lost on mine so I was never a fan. Do you see there just as a solid colored
    Skirt or transparent rubber? Would it just be split at the sides or at least longer on front like a loin cloth?
    I think they would make them a solid colour and NOT transparent (except for Angella's pants if they make her like the toy). The material should be a bit softer than what they used with She-Ra.

Most of the designs do have the V shaped skirts, so they would be longer in the front. Others (like Castaspella, Flutterina, Scratch N' Sound Catra and Spinnerella) would be slits like Xena:

Last edited by Darkspecter; July 13, 2010 at 05:33pm.

styleguide for me!! I don`t want updates of "girls dolls" I want them to resemble Filmation as close as possible

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    styleguide for me!! I don`t want updates of "girls dolls" I want them to resemble Filmation as close as possible
    The Filmation designs were based on the "girls dolls" we see in the u-matics videos.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I wondered about that too, but then once I saw the translucency of Scare Glows cape I was sold, the rubber used could be tinted ANY color, and holds fabric detail brilliantly-heck for Frosta (and others) they could even blend in glitter(not enough to terrify the HE-MEN collectors, but enough to be character correct and effective!).

Bring on the true PoP
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]