Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm writing to Mattel ... you should too!

I'm writing to Mattel ... you should too!

So I've not posted much in a while, but have followed recent rumors about the future of MOTUC , Mattycollector, etc., with the same concern as many of you here. Taking up bcr duke's suggestion, I am sending a real-live letter to Mattel, rather than Facebook or email, since A) I am the last person on earth not actually ON Facebook, and B) I write letters for a living and know they can make a bigger impact than emails and such.

Here's what I'm sending them... (yeah, yeah, don't attack me for mentioning the hotheads and such.. we all know all the complaints, but imagine the perspective of the 'suits' at Mattel, who only ever hear complaints and threats from fans like us... it wouldn't exactly endear us to them ...)

I don't know if this will do any good or not, but hey, it can't hurt. I also hope it gets to the right people... (this was the address on their Mattel main website...):

May 18, 2016

Mattel, Inc.
    333 Continental Boulevard
    El Segundo, CA 90245-5012

RE: Matty Collector website/Masters of the Universe Classics

Dear Sir/Madam:

I’m writing today to show my support for Masters of the Universe Classics and the other collector-centered product you make available on MattyCollector.com. Please keep it coming!

I’m a big-time action figure collection in my mid-40s, and have been thrilled by the product you’ve delivered to us these past eight years. In fact, one of my characters, “Bubblor” was a runner-up in the “Create a Character” contest a few years back, and is batted around as a possible action figure one day. That was a great opportunity.

Today I’m writing because there have been rumblings online that the line could imminently come to an end, as could Thundercats and Mattycollector as a whole. I truly hope this isn’t so… not only because I want to get a Bubblor figure one of these days, but because I remain genuinely excited about the products and eager for more.

I know Matty has caught a lot of grief from some of the more hard-to-please and obnoxious fans out there. Believe me, these hotheads don’t speak for the majority of us. You have a very dedicated fanbase for your He-Man products, and we’d love to continue buying your figure subscriptions, Snake Mountain, and everything else you provide.

We may be a drop in the bucket financially compared to Barbie or Hot Wheels, but the collector market is very passionate, and most of us are willing to invest quite a lot of money and time in our purchases. Please keep giving us the chance to do that.

Moving forward, whether the Masters of the Universe Classics continue being sold on Mattycollector, directly on your Mattel website, or anywhere else, I’ll be buying and so will loyal fans like me. We’re out here and we love what you’re doing, and we urge you to keep it up!

Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Prince Adam

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Icer and Filmation Clawful made. Mission complete.

heh..yeahhh, i left my real name off here... (to fend off Evil Warriors and such...)

No that's a good idea and a good letter Mer Jim.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Icer and Filmation Clawful made. Mission complete.

well thank you!

Good letter, AND Bubblor FTW!

I can't imagine how anxious I would feel knowing that a character I created could someday maybe possibly get a figure made in MOTCU...or not. I think I'd spend a lot of time hoping and dwelling on it.
    We need to let our new friends at Super 7 know that many of us are ALL IN COLLECTORS. We don't want products that are impossible for the average collector to have access to! If there is a He-man product, I want to buy it. Please no chases or con-only exclusives.

Make your voice heard! We DO want Snake Mountain!

oh totally..it's been kind of driving me crazy, when I start thinking about it!

at first, it was all "oh wow, I almost won that thing! But there's no chance of a figure. Oh well, that was fun." But then the minicomic came out, and hope returned since it was expressly to make Bubblor and the other CAC characters eligible to be figures. So hope lifted! Then last year's lineup came out, and hope was dashed again. Then they said "oh we'll do several more years of Classics!", so hope lifted again! Then Bubblor made the top 25 of the fan contest last year, hopes up again...just wait til Comic Con this year! And now this... hopes wilting again. It's quite a rollercoaster...

That's a good letter. I think I'll draft one as well. I'll chime in once I do.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, Hawke, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, and for the love of Grayskull, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

This looks good Mer Jim Honestly, this should be the header of an online petition so we can all sign it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Jim View Post
    oh totally..it's been kind of driving me crazy, when I start thinking about it!

at first, it was all "oh wow, I almost won that thing! But there's no chance of a figure. Oh well, that was fun." But then the minicomic came out, and hope returned since it was expressly to make Bubblor and the other CAC characters eligible to be figures. So hope lifted! Then last year's lineup came out, and hope was dashed again. Then they said "oh we'll do several more years of Classics!", so hope lifted again! Then Bubblor made the top 25 of the fan contest last year, hopes up again...just wait til Comic Con this year! And now this... hopes wilting again. It's quite a rollercoaster...
    I would love to have a Bubblor figure (in fact all of the CAC characters). Your's and Ra-Jar were my favorites (well, except for Castlegrayskull Man too)

thanks , He-Kal!

alas, my Luddite level of high-tech skills keeps me from knowing how to do a petition... but of course I'd happily go along with anyone who had that knowledge!

and glad you liked Bubblor. (I like those other guys, too, of course!)

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I think this is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Jim View Post
    So I've not posted much in a while, but have followed recent rumors about the future of MOTUC , Mattycollector, etc., with the same concern as many of you here. Taking up bcr duke's suggestion, I am sending a real-live letter to Mattel, rather than Facebook or email, since A) I am the last person on earth not actually ON Facebook, and B) I write letters for a living and know they can make a bigger impact than emails and such.

Here's what I'm sending them... (yeah, yeah, don't attack me for mentioning the hotheads and such.. we all know all the complaints, but imagine the perspective of the 'suits' at Mattel, who only ever hear complaints and threats from fans like us... it wouldn't exactly endear us to them ...)

I don't know if this will do any good or not, but hey, it can't hurt. I also hope it gets to the right people... (this was the address on their Mattel main website...):

May 18, 2016

Mattel, Inc.
    333 Continental Boulevard
    El Segundo, CA 90245-5012

RE: Matty Collector website/Masters of the Universe Classics

Dear Sir/Madam:

I’m writing today to show my support for Masters of the Universe Classics and the other collector-centered product you make available on MattyCollector.com. Please keep it coming!

I’m a big-time action figure collection in my mid-40s, and have been thrilled by the product you’ve delivered to us these past eight years. In fact, one of my characters, “Bubblor” was a runner-up in the “Create a Character” contest a few years back, and is batted around as a possible action figure one day. That was a great opportunity.

Today I’m writing because there have been rumblings online that the line could imminently come to an end, as could Thundercats and Mattycollector as a whole. I truly hope this isn’t so… not only because I want to get a Bubblor figure one of these days, but because I remain genuinely excited about the products and eager for more.

I know Matty has caught a lot of grief from some of the more hard-to-please and obnoxious fans out there. Believe me, these hotheads don’t speak for the majority of us. You have a very dedicated fanbase for your He-Man products, and we’d love to continue buying your figure subscriptions, Snake Mountain, and everything else you provide.

We may be a drop in the bucket financially compared to Barbie or Hot Wheels, but the collector market is very passionate, and most of us are willing to invest quite a lot of money and time in our purchases. Please keep giving us the chance to do that.

Moving forward, whether the Masters of the Universe Classics continue being sold on Mattycollector, directly on your Mattel website, or anywhere else, I’ll be buying and so will loyal fans like me. We’re out here and we love what you’re doing, and we urge you to keep it up!

Sincerely,

I also do not have a social media account of any sort and despise the publication of our insignificant daily lives. And you are right a written letter will always carry more weight than an email or whatever you call the posts on social media. I had written a local Senator once for an issue and a well written letter carries a fair amount weight. My letter had gotten me results. I hope your letter does that same.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but a little reality check seems to be called for here.

If consistent sell-outs, consistently hitting goals, the fans consistently doing EVERYTHING that Mattel has indicated will keep the line coming and successful all aren't enough to keep the line alive, a few (even hundred) letters aren't going to do a thing.

Money talks.

And as a fanbase, our money has been talking LOUDLY since 2008...despite constant missteps by Matty and Digital River, we have CONTINUED to stuff Mattel's coffers.

If Mattel doesn't listen to that, then writing letters is spitting into the ocean.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but a little reality check seems to be called for here.

If consistent sell-outs, consistently hitting goals, the fans consistently doing EVERYTHING that Mattel has indicated will keep the line coming and successful all aren't enough to keep the line alive, a few (even hundred) letters aren't going to do a thing.

Money talks.

And as a fanbase, our money has been talking LOUDLY since 2008...despite constant missteps by Matty and Digital River, we have CONTINUED to stuff Mattel's coffers.

If Mattel doesn't listen to that, then writing letters is spitting into the ocean.
    Damn straight! Dear Matty, can I give you all my hard earned money and have the privilege of begging you to make more product??? Matty spoiled us with company to customer relationships for years. A great thing mind you... Now it seems that's a No-go and or a non-priority. Really, when was the last time a line had the respect of the costumer to say "Were done". We expect it as fans, but Mattel does not owe us that. Toys for cash was the original deal (always has been) nothing more, nothing less...Fat ladies working with the vocal coach, I imagine this niche line is now just a niche line. Bye Felisha!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Damn straight! Dear Matty, can I give you all my hard earned money and have the privilege of begging you to make more product??? Matty spoiled us with company to customer relationships for years. A great thing mind you... Now it seems that's a No-go and or a non-priority. Really, when was the last time a line had the respect of the costumer to say "Were done". We expect it as fans, but Mattel does not owe us that. Toys for cash was the original deal (always has been) nothing more, nothing less...Fat ladies working with the vocal coach, I imagine this niche line is now just a niche line. Bye Felisha!
    You have to realize Mattel is likely big enough that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Writing a letter like this may reach different ears that wouldn't be reached otherwise. While it will likely make no difference, it very well could. Having worked for a large employer myself, I have seen small emails and letters from rather seemingly insignificant customers that reach the right area (some level of management), and it becomes something you have to address which can alter decisions on services offered.

Money talks.

Yeah, I agree.

I write a letter to Mattel to not cancel the line every month when my subscription gets renewed.

After this many years, Mattel has to know that there is a fanbase. Writing a letter to someone in CS isn't going to solve anything.

If you wanna write a letter, do it. If it'll make you feel better, go ahead. It can't hurt but in the large scope of things, it's not really going to help.

Someone confronting Mattel at Power-Con and/or SDCC would be a better plan. Stage a protest at the Mattel booth. Make a scene. YELL IF YOU HAVE TO. That'll get more attention and or "buzz" than a letter.

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Nice letter. Would like tohave a Bubblor, too

Heroic Warrior
    Shouldn't have included assumptions about the fans, and shouldn't have self-promoted about the figure concept.

There doesn't need to be a call to action until there is something to react to.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    You have to realize Mattel is likely big enough that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Writing a letter like this may reach different ears that wouldn't be reached otherwise. While it will likely make no difference, it very well could. Having worked for a large employer myself, I have seen small emails and letters from rather seemingly insignificant customers that reach the right area (some level of management), and it becomes something you have to address which can alter decisions on services offered.
    Nope. It won't.

Your words have FAR less reach than does money. Mattel might not "know" whatever, but they know exactly what the cost vs. revenue ratio is for everything they produce.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

eh, you're all probably correct that it won't amount to anything...but then, it can't hurt! What's the cost -- 5 minutes writing time and a stamp? Also, I figured mentioning the Bubblor thing would make it stand out from the crowd a little. (In case someone was familiar with that whole deal, and they received, oh, more than one such letter!) And it's true, so there's that angle to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I write a letter to Mattel to not cancel the line every month when my subscription gets renewed.

After this many years, Mattel has to know that there is a fanbase. Writing a letter to someone in CS isn't going to solve anything.

If you wanna write a letter, do it. If it'll make you feel better, go ahead. It can't hurt but in the large scope of things, it's not really going to help.

Someone confronting Mattel at Power-Con and/or SDCC would be a better plan. Stage a protest at the Mattel booth. Make a scene. YELL IF YOU HAVE TO. That'll get more attention and or "buzz" than a letter.

This doesn't make any sense. You agree that Mattel gets the message with the money spent monthly, and dismiss a letter, but then think that accosting someone in person is going to be any better? Protest a toy line? Come on. Think about that - an adult person protesting because a toy maker won't make you more toys. No, no more likely to keep things afloat than a letter - just more likely to get you arrested if you go too far.

None of that is going to work. It's like that silly Snake Mountain petition. Mattel knows cold hard facts - financials of this line. No amount of forum posts, petitions, or, even letters are going to change business decisions like this, if indeed it is cancelled. That's not how business is done.

I think people just don't comprehend how much the audience who has a continued interest has shrunk. Cripes, three or four years ago, you couldn't keep up with this forum it was so active - just the front page listing of threads were all from the same day. Most people have had their fill and don't need 300 figures. 200, quite enough. People have moved on. There just isn't the audience to support it. That doesn't mean there isn't any audience, but it's just so tiny that it's a miracle that Mattel gave us this year.

eh, yeah, all that's probably true, too. I only did this after bcr duke's urging, however.. and since he's someone 'in the know', maybe he was 'in the know' enough to know that someone out there wanted to have some encouragement they could use to make the case for continuing the line... It's a pretty low-cost way to take a wild shot in the dark.

And I'll bet people are still interested... they just may not be posting as much, like me, since there wasn't a lot of new news to report and just the same old discussions to rehash. I didn't even know about this whole mess until i saw it at other websites then came back here to check it out!

Nope. It won't.
    I respectfully disagree. I doubt I will convince you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    None of that is going to work. It's like that silly Snake Mountain petition. Mattel knows cold hard facts - financials of this line. No amount of forum posts, petitions, or, even letters are going to change business decisions like this, if indeed it is cancelled. That's not how business is done.
    I always respect your opinions, but will disagree with you on this. I've had experience in a big organization where a seemingly insignificant email or letter got to the right people through a customer complaint, and it can get elevated with new eyes on it, perhaps eyes with more power.

Additionally, Mattel even noted during last year's SDCC panel about listening to fans and suggesting they make noise on the things they like/want (in the portion I'm mentioning, it was when talking about bringing back old properties).

While things have changed structurally there since last summer, I would imagine Mattel still listens to fan demands. A petition, social media posts, a letter, etc.... can reach upper management. Heck, Skeletor's Love Child even mentioned management at Mattel who saw fan posts and such, which one can infer effected decisions.
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/3941030888

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I will do the same... Not sure it will work. But I'm not going to have it said I didn't do my part in this.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post

None of that is going to work.
    I never said it would or implied that it would. You made that assumption yourself.

I only said...
    Someone confronting Mattel at Power-Con and/or SDCC would be a better plan.
    I never said that it would be successful.