Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gleanons and Galactimytes are Obscure...umm...what?!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Gleanons and Galactimytes are Obscure...umm...what?!

Here's a little Q&A with TG on MattyCollector:

Q: Galactimytes and Gleanons from NA had prototypes...

'In legal limbo' (like Mara) or 'Possible'?

'On the masterplan list on TG's wall' or 'Maybe after 2016'?

TG: Honestly, I have not really looked into these guys. They are a bit obscure and would take a lot of tooling. If it is something fans really want to see I'd be happy to see if we have access.
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...6&r=1311060646

I mean...really?!

For those of you who have never watched NA, you obviously don't know who these guys are, and that's okay. I'll educate:

The Gleanons and Galactimytes are two separate races, who are at war. The Gleanons are evil and Crita became their Queen. Mara became the Galactimytes "Ambassador" or something. The fighting between these two races was heavily featured in all of season two of NA. It basically WAS season two of NA.

It would be like if in the 80's cartoon of MOTU, Trollans and the Konseals (Loo-Kee's race) battled it out for 10 episodes and were called "obscure."

I think this has REALLY shown how much of an interest Mattel really has with NA as a whole, when a major part of it is "obscure." I'm pretty sure characters appearing in cameos ONLY in maybe 3-5 episodes would be obscure (Chief Carnivus), concepts that never appeared in any media (Gygor and Vikor), possible 80's knock-off toys (Fuerza-T and Wun-Dar) or only appeared once (Green Goddess and Preternia He-Man) are obscure. Not a grouping of 50+ characters on a TV show seen worldwide by millions, that had their own story arch and toy prototypes shown in a magazine and online for all to see! Grrr...

From a 1991 Mattel catalogue (and Mattel did have their names copywritten in 1990).

Gleanons:

Galactimytes:

Last edited by Darkspecter; September 4, 2010 at 05:14am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I think that "You don't know who these are unless you've seen NA Season 2" definitely counts as "obscure" in the context of MotU as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I think that "You don't know who these are unless you've seen NA Season 2" definitely counts as "obscure" in the context of MotU as a whole.
    There are people who don't know the later MOTU characters or ANY of the NA characters. That means nothing. I'm sure these groupings appeared in more episodes than a bunch of the toys did.

The point is, they are NOT obscure. Only to non-NA fans. To non-NA fans, everything NA is obscure.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out I'm not hating on characters that actually ARE obscure (like the ones I mentioned in the opening post). I love obscure stuff. These two races are not obscure though. That's what I'm pointing out.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 4, 2010 at 05:40am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

oh give me a break. how many figures are we going to put in the 'You don't know who these are unless you've seen 200x' etc. that's not a valid argument to stop chief carnivus etc and it isn't valid for these guys either. this line is all about embracing the 'supporting cast' as well.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Hello.
    Really? Crita (spelling?), Skeltor's NA love interest, becomes the queen of the (i think, from the pics) small evil guys that fight with gardening tools?
    Lovely.
    Well i think that, if they are so prominent in NA (did'nt know it had a season two) calling them obscure might be exageration however the second part of the answer is the one that matters: they'd require too much tooling.
    I suppose most NA characters can be integrated in MOTUC as 6" inch figure (like Optik, really nice figure, now showcased alongside the evil warriors on my shelves), while these little guys would, probably, be rather small in size. I think this, rather than their being "obscure" ,is what prevents them seeing the light right now. He did not say "no, absolutely not", however.
    Last edited by Keldor/Skeletor73; September 4, 2010 at 05:44am.

I'm a huge NA fan, but even I would classify them as rather obscure in relation to the other characters. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy them. But it's a valid question if there'd really be enough "customer" support for those guys.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I'm a huge NA fan, but even I would classify them as rather obscure in relation to the other characters. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy them. But it's a valid question if there'd really be enough "customer" support for those guys.
    Et tu, Sir Reilly?

I think there would be fan support! They're these cool little rock-looking guys with axes and such. They could chop you to pieces before you even SEE them! I mean, come on, they're MUCH cooler than the meteorbs. They're equally as cool as the Energy Zoids. I think those two last sentences are going to go over many people's heads though.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I like these little creatures.

They need a new body buck and legs, but they can reuse the standard MOTUC arms. And even the bodys and legs can be reused among them. They even share "body/armor".

The weapons are very cool and unique in their design.

Ill buy 2 packs of each race.
    Last edited by Snake Hunter; September 4, 2010 at 06:35am.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Et tu, Sir Reilly?

I think there would be fan support! They're these cool little rock-looking guys with axes and such. They could chop you to pieces before you even SEE them! I mean, come on, they're MUCH cooler than the meteorbs. They're equally as cool as the Energy Zoids. I think those two last sentences are going to go over many people's heads though.
    Dude..."they're equally as cool as the Energy Zoids" really doesn't help their case.

Let's first see if we can get Darius, Filmation characters, and the '87 movie characters before jumping into territory that's as obscure as you can get it.

On the plus side, since they all seem to have the exact same mold, Mattel could likely do them all with ease.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Not before the meteorbs..

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Dude..."they're equally as cool as the Energy Zoids" really doesn't help their case.

Let's first see if we can get Darius, Filmation characters, and the '87 movie characters before jumping into territory that's as obscure as you can get it.

On the plus side, since they all seem to have the exact same mold, Mattel could likely do them all with ease.
    I think the Energy Zoids are awesome!

The G&Gs would share a bunch of similar tooling, but there are differences:

Gleanons have "bumpy" skin and Galactimytes do not. All have unique boots and bracelets too, which could cause problems.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Gleanons have "bumpy" skin and Galactimytes do not. All have unique boots and bracelets too, which could cause problems.
    I prefer having these figures without "unique boots" rather than not have them...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    I prefer having these figures without "unique boots" rather than not have them...
    I agree. I was merely pointing out the differences. For the skin, they could just paint "liver spots" on the villains. That could work.

This is the first that i`ve EVER heard of them. admittedly I HAVE the NA series but haven`t even made it past the 2nd disc of the first season. but here`s the thing, this is the FIRST TIME I`VE EVER heard of them evenon these boards. I can`t recall any fan art or anyone mentioning them at all. NA as a whole is relatively obscure though. it`s the `dirty little secret`of MOTU fandom in a way. the vintage line is the big one, every character from thereis famous or infamous one way por another 2002 series is more recent and also more widely loved than NA, so the characters even if they appeared only once, are in fans recent memories as from the 2002 line manyof us have been asking about getting these guys or even making customs or fan art. these little duudes you`re talking about here, hardly anyone has EVER mentioned them. fan art, customs, fan fic, etc. so if obscure isn`t a good word then fan apathy might be better, as up til this thread and that q&a session. no one has considered them.

no offense to the NA fans but NA as a whole is the most obscure of MOTU sublines. or at the least it`s the one with the least requested and talked about characters, least amount of fan art, customs and fan fiction. it never captured the mass imagination like the original line, PoP and 2002 did, I mean NO BOAY talks about the new movie coming out being faithful to NA, there`s a big reason for that. You can love it but you have to admit that it`s really not the line that the majority of fans and non fans alike think of when they hear he-man. and I think outside of he-man and skeletor the mutants are probably the ones that will get the most interest and love.

That being said these little guys look kind of cool. I`d buy em. they look like the old m.u.s.c.l.e. figures mattel put out but with armour
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 4, 2010 at 08:13am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    You can love it but you have to admit that it`s really not the line that the majority of fans and non fans alike think of when they hear he-man.
    well you know... if you'd get off these hard core MOTU fan forums to other more general forums which are more representative of the MOTUC collector base, you'd see that things like Illumina, no-name-figure-on-box and even chief carnivus and gygor are met with a blank stare. there are a lot of things more obscure than these that are already in the line.

i badly want these guys and the meteorbs too... this line just keeps on extending though and i really think a 'first round' needs to be done by 2016 so everyone can get their ram mans etc... i wouldn't mind these as an oversized slot soon though, same with meteorbs (i can't imagine that there are enough oversized things to get them to 2016 without going really obscure).

I wouldn't say they're more obscure than the Widgets. Well, they are in the sense that MOTU probably had higher ratings, but in terms of episodes and screentime.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    NA Season 2?! Most cats haven't even gotten past the first episode, let alone Season 1!

There are people who don't know the later MOTU characters or ANY of the NA characters. That means nothing. I'm sure these groupings appeared in more episodes than a bunch of the toys did.

The point is, they are NOT obscure. Only to non-NA fans. To non-NA fans, everything NA is obscure.
    That's alot of damn people.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out I'm not hating on characters that actually ARE obscure (like the ones I mentioned in the opening post). I love obscure stuff. These two races are not obscure though. That's what I'm pointing out.
    I think the Mytes and the Gleanons are definitely obscure. They appeared in the last 10 episodes of NA. By then, only the most hardcore of fans were watching since everyone else jumped ship 54 episodes ago. If people don't know who Master Sebrian is, then they definitely won't know who Beemo and Niffel are.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 4, 2010 at 10:58am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I thought there was only one season of NA....wasn't it just one season of 65 episodes?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I thought there was only one season of NA....wasn't it just one season of 65 episodes?
    Yes. Maybe Dark means the DVD sets. The Mytes and Gleanons were on vol.2.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    well you know... if you'd get off these hard core MOTU fan forums to other more general forums which are more representative of the MOTUC collector base, you'd see that things like Illumina, no-name-figure-on-box and even chief carnivus and gygor are met with a blank stare. there are a lot of things more obscure than these that are already in the line.
    true but the obscurity of the g&g`s amongst hardcore fans can`t be denied so imagine how much MORE obscure they`d be outside of us.
    again it was Masters of The Universe that captured the majority of the fandom (non fans out there know of it too) NA is COMPLETELY unrecognizable to non fans. Carnivous and Gygor FIT IN with the perception of MOTU. people may not know them but they fit in. NA doesn`t fit in with MOTU in that sense. Particularly the good guys. it`s like Toy Story 3 the bug guy looks like he could have been an MOTU figure, he wasn`t but he fits into the general memory of the line. so in a sense you trade off invoking memories with absolute WTH is that reaction. Look as I said you love what you love and that`s fine, but it`s silly to get indignant over every little comment that doesn`t jibe with what we feel about certain characters. I LOVE the Energy Zoids, had a BLAST with them as a kid, but they are hardly recognizable as MOTU characters, and I realize they aren`t widely loved (but people pay a tonne for em on ebay go figure) it`s ok that they are pariahs in the world of MOTU. I personally thinkthey are great and I`m proud of it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Obscure or not, these little guys rock! I fell in love with them the second I saw them in another thread last year.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I agree that they are obscure. I would expect to see them in 2016 at the earliest, but most likely beyond
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

As someone who doesn't like ANYTHING about NA, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if those things NEVER get made into MOTUC toys.

I'm not a NA fan. That being said, I do embrace the notion of MotUC being all inclusive.

I wouldn't object to these being made, but they would be so far down the list. Even the Meteorbs have more of a right to be made than these guys, and I don't like the Meteorbs.

Honestly, I don't know why any NA fans would want some of the NA slots taken up with something like this. As a vintage MotU and 200X fan, I know i wouldn't want slots taken up with the vintage Meteorbs or 200X Samurai figures, for instance.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Does anyone know what scale those things were supposed to be in relation to the NA figures?