Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gleanons and Galactimytes are Obscure...umm...what?!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Is Crita wearing Mara's toy costume in that shot?
    It's similar:

Her toy looks nothing like her in the toon though (also, see the Galactimytes behind her):

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Maybe not many have seen these episodes with these guys in them, but at least they existed in a few episodes, have story and characterization and a place in the overarching He-Man mythos already.

In my mind Vikor, Oolar, Wundar, and Gygor are more obscure. I have to imagine more people watched those episodes than worked in the Mattel design department where Gygor was built and ignored for 20 years, or saw the concept sketches of "Vikor", or owned a Turbodactyl. We don't even know for sure what Oolar is, but people "can't wait" to get one. And now they're saying they may release Trollans of their own design.

Now, are there about a hundred characters that we "should" get before these are made? Sure. But then again we're getting Vikor as a subscription figure, so clearly Mattel is not all that worried about getting the "must have" figures out early.

I can tell you I'd rather have these than another one of the "He-Men", especially as a subscription slot.

A mixture of iconic, key figures with weirdo unknown and obscure characters is what this line is all about, and I kinda love that about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh, come on! I'll give you the scientists...because...eek!

...but Crita was the BEST thing about NA. She was Uhura in the first half of the show and then pretty much became Queen of a planet and was the ONLY villain who remained evil with Skeletor! She was so cool. I love her.
    LOL! Yeah well, I honesty don't think I ever finished the series (even though I own it) so maybe she would've grown on me eventually.

Mostly though, I think the two things, um, three things that bothered me most about her were 1) here design: too plain and just reminded me of some rocker chick from the '80s, which to me was more Jem and the Rockers than MOTU, and 2) to me she seemed to be a replacement for Evil-Lyn (which itself is unforgivable) and paled in comparison, and 3) that voice! man her raspy, smoked-all-my-life, voice was almost as unbearable as listening to those damned annoying scientists bicker with one another! So yeah, maybe I should give her another chance because there was definitely some resentment there for taking my beloved Evil-Lyn's place.
    – No comment.

That's because there are a lot of close-minded people with regards to "what He-Man is." I think if people realize this takes place a few years from the original MOTU series' timeline...then he goes into the future and would RETURN to Eternia, they would accept it.

This is an adventure of He-Man. He was supposed to eventually return to Eternia.
    I can only speak for myself, but I actually do accept NA as an adventure. That is not why I dislike it. Mainly, I dislike it for these reasons:

1. I'm a fantasy fan far more than a sci-fi fan. MotU was a fantasy property with a nice seasoning of SF. When NA came around, they killed off almost all he fantasy, and that was a turn off from the get-go.

2. Generally speaking, the acting was very, very bad in the NA toon in comparison to Filmation's MotU.

3. Hand-in-hand with #2, the writing was just not of the same caliber. In NA's defense, it was no worse than a lot of shows of that time period, but Filmation's MotU/PoP series had some truly great writers like Larry D. and D.C. Fontana. Fair or not, fans compare the two series in terms of quality, and the quality just wasn't there with NA, unfortunately.

So, that being said, I'm actually really OK with the way that NA has been brought into MotUC in a more cooperative manner, and even kinda like Optikk.

You'll always have those fans who can't see passed their own nostalgia, and for those fans I feel sympathy. They miss out on a lot of things, like some of the truly great storybooks of the 1980's, the 200X designs, and the MYP series.

Hell, I even like the NA mini comics, even if I don't count them as part of my own personal MotU canon.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

It's similar:

Her toy looks nothing like her in the toon though (also, see the Galactimytes behind her):
    Think Mattel got her model sheet mixed up with Crita's?

Considering the reception that Optikk got, it may be a lil too premature to request these guys.

ToyGuru, just in case you are now starting to think about these guys, put my vote down for "let's bring them up again in a few years".

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but I actually do accept NA as an adventure. That is not why I dislike it. Mainly, I dislike it for these reasons:
    Not everyone likes everything, and I get and accept that. Opinions and tastes differ, which is a good thing. Like your reasons are perfectly reasonable. It's just the people that never give it a chance and go "He-Man doesn't belong in space!" when he was actually in space a bit in the Filmation series. I have a problem with people using that as an excuse. Masters of the UNIVERSE. There was all sorts of space and interplanetary travel going on.

1. I'm a fantasy fan far more than a sci-fi fan. MotU was a fantasy property with a nice seasoning of SF. When NA came around, they killed off almost all he fantasy, and that was a turn off from the get-go.
    NA was mostly Sci-Fi, but there was a bunch of fantasy in it. Master Sebrian was basically the Sorceress and they also had an equivalent to the Eldors. It's been a few years since watching, but I believe they all froze themselves instead of turning themselves into energy (Eternian Eldors). Some stories were similar to Filmation ones. Like "The Games" when an all-powerful being made a representative of good fight one of evil (or it was a grouping of beings. When I watched the DVDs I'd watch 1-3 DVDs a day, so stories blur together. lol).

2. Generally speaking, the acting was very, very bad in the NA toon in comparison to Filmation's MotU.
    I think only certain characters were bad or "overdone," but Filmation was better overall, acting-wise.

3. Hand-in-hand with #2, the writing was just not of the same caliber. In NA's defense, it was no worse than a lot of shows of that time period, but Filmation's MotU/PoP series had some truly great writers like Larry D. and D.C. Fontana. Fair or not, fans compare the two series in terms of quality, and the quality just wasn't there with NA, unfortunately.
    I really disagree with this. NA was the first MOTU cartoon that actually had a continuous story. The Filmation series was always a random adventure. This show had a progressing storyline, which was awesome! Many people might throw stones at me for saying this, but NA is very similar to the MYP toon. They both had continuous storylines, epic battles and explanations for the toy variants. Also, we never get to see He-Man return to Eternia, but this is the ONLY series that has a proper beginning/origin and ending.

MOTU: random beginning and end.
    PoP: origin, random ending.
    MYP: origin, random ending.

NA: origin and proper ending.

You'll always have those fans who can't see passed their own nostalgia, and for those fans I feel sympathy. They miss out on a lot of things, like some of the truly great storybooks of the 1980's, the 200X designs, and the MYP series.
    I agree.

Think Mattel got her model sheet mixed up with Crita's?
    It's always possible. I STILL think someone though She-Ra was Teela, which is why Teela in the one NA episode has very long, blonde hair.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    NA's cartoon gets the flack that it does because it's not Filmation. Campbell Lane was a "terrible" VA because Alan Oppenheimer's performance is what people imagine when they hear Skeletor speak.

Just imagine if NA was done by Filmation...would it even be a black sheep era today?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    We don't even know for sure what Oolar is, but people "can't wait" to get one.
    "Oo-Larr" is obscure, but he might as well be a household name in the MOTU forums. Some NA characters who are unknown even to MOTU fans. Although I'd say most fans were collecting when Filmation was in full swing and missed when He-Man was a barbarian from the jungle, Teela was blonde and The Sorceress was the Goddess, a bunch of us were already collecting MOTU 2 years before. If you had He-Man, unless you threw the mini-comic away, chances are you saw him in his first appearance from He-Man and the Power Sword.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 4, 2010 at 09:15pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

It's always possible. I STILL think someone though She-Ra was Teela, which is why Teela in the one NA episode has very long, blonde hair.
    I actually rather liked Teela's design for NA. If only they'd remembered her hair color. -_-

Also, does Mara -ever- wear the Crita-like outfit the toy prototype has?

Maybe not many have seen these episodes with these guys in them, but at least they existed in a few episodes, have story and characterization and a place in the overarching He-Man mythos already.

In my mind Vikor, Oolar, Wundar, and Gygor are more obscure. I have to imagine more people watched those episodes than worked in the Mattel design department where Gygor was built and ignored for 20 years, or saw the concept sketches of "Vikor", or owned a Turbodactyl. We don't even know for sure what Oolar is, but people "can't wait" to get one. And now they're saying they may release Trollans of their own design.

Now, are there about a hundred characters that we "should" get before these are made? Sure. But then again we're getting Vikor as a subscription figure, so clearly Mattel is not all that worried about getting the "must have" figures out early.
    As I said earlier the most successful incarnation of MOTU was the fantasy line with a little scifi mixed in. So any character that has that MOTU feel will be more accepted and desired by the bulk of the fans. Vikor is a design that harkens to that same era, and also he's been creating quite a stir in the Conan fandom, some saying it's the best looking Conan figure ever. so it is bringing more sales to the line. NA characters just don't have that same appeal. The Space Mutants will be more popular that the galactic guardians however.
    I can tell you I'd rather have these than another one of the "He-Men", especially as a subscription slot.
    you would but it doesn'tlook like the bulk of fans agree. casual and hardcore alike.
    A mixture of iconic, key figures with weirdo unknown and obscure characters is what this line is all about, and I kinda love that about it.
    I agree completely. I think most of us aren't saying these little guys shouldn't get made so much as we're saying "who?" and then "yeah I guess but not before..."
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I actually rather liked Teela's design for NA. If only they'd remembered her hair color. -_-

I liked "Teela" in NA too. Awesome design!

Mara never wears that outfit. In the first half of the show she wears robes and Crita wears a dress.

Skeletor and Crita, love story? :

http://www.retrojunk.com/img/art-images/crita3.jpg

I still think they meant for Teela to be She-Ra in "Once Upon a Time". As for Mara no she didn't ever wear the outfit the prototype has in the show.

And with the Glactamites and the Gleanons, I'd buy them but I expect them to be small like Orko small.
    Mattel I demand the following:

Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,

My Facebook, check it out!

Not everyone likes everything, and I get and accept that. Opinions and tastes differ, which is a good thing. Like your reasons are perfectly reasonable. It's just the people that never give it a chance and go "He-Man doesn't belong in space!" when he was actually in space a bit in the Filmation series. I have a problem with people using that as an excuse. Masters of the UNIVERSE. There was all sorts of space and interplanetary travel going on.
    Yes and no. I agree with you in principle, but I think you may be taking some people too literally when they say that. I think, and I could be wrong, that mostly they are saying the same thing I was. MotU was, and should've continued to be, a property with an emphasis on fantasy/sword and sorcery, not sci-fi.

NA was mostly Sci-Fi, but there was a bunch of fantasy in it. Master Sebrian was basically the Sorceress and they also had an equivalent to the Eldors. It's been a few years since watching, but I believe they all froze themselves instead of turning themselves into energy (Eternian Eldors). Some stories were similar to Filmation ones. Like "The Games" when an all-powerful being made a representative of good fight one of evil (or it was a grouping of beings. When I watched the DVDs I'd watch 1-3 DVDs a day, so stories blur together. lol).
    Oh, NA had its elements of fantasy, but the roles of fantasy vs sci-fi were clearly reversed. And, that complaint of mine, is purely a matter of taste. I love both fantasy and SF, but am a far bigger fan of sword and sorcery.

I really disagree with this. NA was the first MOTU cartoon that actually had a continuous story. The Filmation series was always a random adventure. This show had a progressing storyline, which was awesome! Many people might throw stones at me for saying this, but NA is very similar to the MYP toon. They both had continuous storylines, epic battles and explanations for the toy variants. Also, we never get to see He-Man return to Eternia, but this is the ONLY series that has a proper beginning/origin and ending.

MOTU: random beginning and end.
    PoP: origin, random ending.
    MYP: origin, random ending.

NA: origin and proper ending.
    A progressive story, proper origin, and proper ending are all fine and well, but do not a great series make, IMO. While those are all good elements to have, and I agree that NA and MYP share those things in common, the caliber of the writing itself was lack luster. To put it in a very exaggerated way, a Stephen King novel and a story written by a second grader may both have a beginning, middle, and end, but that doesn't mean they are the same caliber of writing.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    A progressive story, proper origin, and proper ending are all fine and well, but do not a great series make, IMO. While those are all good elements to have, and I agree that NA and MYP share those things in common, the caliber of the writing itself was lack luster. To put it in a very exaggerated way, a Stephen King novel and a story written by a second grader may both have a beginning, middle, and end, but that doesn't mean they are the same caliber of writing.
    Oh, that's harsh Lioncourt! NA had some very intruiging and good stories. The villains actually take OVER Primus (the Eternia of this story, for non-NA folk). Those were good episodes. My other favourites include "Running of the Herd" where Sagitar has to get back to his home planet. He-Man riding him was a bit...interesting though...

I'm not comparing series by "which was better," but I really believe that the most thought was put into the NA series and then later, MYP. I mean, certain characters have two origins in the 80's (like Flutterina and Modulok). I think all the series were of high-calibre. I think the voice acting in NA and the different looking animation put some people off, while others were totally alienated because the new series only had He-Man and Skeletor.

...and the scientists. *face palm* They were supposed to be the comedy relief, like Orko or Madame Razz and Broom...but greatly fell short because of how annoying they were.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    As I said earlier the most successful incarnation of MOTU was the fantasy line with a little scifi mixed in. So any character that has that MOTU feel will be more accepted and desired by the bulk of the fans. Vikor is a design that harkens to that same era, and also he's been creating quite a stir in the Conan fandom, some saying it's the best looking Conan figure ever. so it is bringing more sales to the line. NA characters just don't have that same appeal. The Space Mutants will be more popular that the galactic guardians however.
    I agree, NA doesn't have the same appeal, I'm just arguing against the "Too obscure" complaint that dominated the beginning of this thread. I don't think that's reeeeely why anybody wouldn't want these guys. It's more to do with it being NA.

you would but it doesn'tlook like the bulk of fans agree. casual and hardcore alike.
    Sigh... I know this is true. I've never understood the desire people have for (essentially) the same figure over and over again. I know many will disagree with me but I can't wrap my mind around it. I'd rather populate my MOTUC "world" with the huge diversity of characters that exist in the extended He-Man cannon. While I appreciate that the number of these dopplegangers has been relatively small, I just know sometime soon I'll have to hear about how everyone is excited to get Oolar, a He-Man with no shoes, so that now they can use their accessories that came with Goddes to create... almost the same He-man they already have. Then I'll say, "Yay... that could have been almost any other character they could have made there."

I will say this though, unlike any other toy line I've ever collected (including other iterations of MOTU) at least they're selling these costume variants as different people (with the exception of BA Heman).

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I LOVE the Energy Zoids, had a BLAST with them as a kid, but they are hardly recognizable as MOTU characters, and I realize they aren`t widely loved (but people pay a tonne for em on ebay go figure) it`s ok that they are pariahs in the world of MOTU. I personally thinkthey are great and I`m proud of it.
    I really like Twistoid and, especially, Rotar. I think Rotar has a cool back story which is chock full of potential.

As for Gleanons and Galactimytes, maybe have them as bonus items at the end of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro
    man her raspy, smoked-all-my-life, voice was almost as unbearable as listening to those damned annoying scientists bicker
    I like Crita. She's nowhere near as awesome as Evil-Lyn, but I thought she was alright.
    I'm 100% with you on those bloody scientists. I tend to swear (loudly) at the TV whenever they appear onscreen.

~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 4, 2010 at 11:27pm.

I would like to see the Gleanon's etc in a multi-pack for sure. Always wished they had produced them. Not a huge NA fan, but I did watch and enjoy it.
    Brian

Photos and video of my massive collection! Click here!

Most wanted: 200x Snake Men-carded Roboto, vintage Spinnerella and Netossa. Also: Hook 'Em Flogg's weapon and Missile Armor Flipshot's backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    NA's cartoon gets the flack that it does because it's not Filmation.
    That may be true for some but I definitely don't think that's true for all. I was around for MOTU since the beginning but the original 4 mini-comics weren't my preferred canon. It is often about preference and not what came first for a fan. I think a lot of people dislike the NA cartoon just for what it was and not how it compared to Filmation's 2 cartoons. Blackstar came out before MOTU or POP for a lot of us but, personally speaking, it didn't hold a candle to the later shows. I think it's really easy to write off someone's opinion due to "nostalgia" but I don't think that's fair or accurate. I don't like the 2002 cartoon but I'm a fan of Chief Carnivus and the show made me like Mekaneck(I never liked him as a kid even though I had the toy). I love the vintage era but never liked Snout Spout or the Snake Men(but I now love King Hiss due to the MOTUC sculpt). I was never around for NA and while I have mixed feelings about the cartoon & toyline, I feel the show was better than MYP's and the toy villains have a lot of potential.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I agree, NA doesn't have the same appeal, I'm just arguing against the "Too obscure" complaint that dominated the beginning of this thread. I don't think that's reeeeely why anybody wouldn't want these guys. It's more to do with it being NA.
    Yeah NA is pretty much the black sheep of the family. but some of us don't mind if they show up to the reunion.

Sigh... I know this is true. I've never understood the desire people have for (essentially) the same figure over and over again. I know many will disagree with me but I can't wrap my mind around it. I'd rather populate my MOTUC "world" with the huge diversity of characters that exist in the extended He-Man cannon. While I appreciate that the number of these dopplegangers has been relatively small, I just know sometime soon I'll have to hear about how everyone is excited to get Oolar, a He-Man with no shoes, so that now they can use their accessories that came with Goddes to create... almost the same He-man they already have. Then I'll say, "Yay... that could have been almost any other character they could have made there."

I will say this though, unlike any other toy line I've ever collected (including other iterations of MOTU) at least they're selling these costume variants as different people (with the exception of BA Heman).
    Personally Iprefer new characters to variants, but in the original line I looked forward to the skeletor he-man and hordak variants as the play value they had with their action features were always something to look fwd to.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I really like Twistoid and, especially, Rotar. I think Rotar has a cool back story which is chock full of potential.

~Penny~
    Yay! someone else in the ranks!

one thing though I think the voice acting and ESPECIALLY the scientists are making it REALLY hard for me to finish watching NA - I'm still on the first volume first disc.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I love them too! They never get enough love.

one thing though I think the voice acting and ESPECIALLY the scientists are making it REALLY hard for me to finish watching NA - I'm still on the first volume first disc.
    Start watching it again! Do it! (taunting voice)

I wanted to watch He-Man, then She-Ra, then NA, THEN MYP...but I got too enticed to watch MYP to see which other characters could be made into toys and now I've been too enticed to watch NA because of all the bashing. The only time I saw NA was on DVD and I love it.

Disc one, here I come!

I love them too! They never get enough love.

ya another one!!

Start watching it again! Do it! (taunting voice)

I wanted to watch He-Man, then She-Ra, then NA, THEN MYP...but I got too enticed to watch MYP to see which other characters could be made into toys and now I've been too enticed to watch NA because of all the bashing. The only time I saw NA was on DVD and I love it.

Disc one, here I come!
    I was going to attempt it today, maybe tomorrow. another thing I don't likeis the sound quality. I can't describe what's wrong but something is off. a few shows from the late 80s, early 90s had that same sound. The New archies is the first that comes to mind.

Fear is faith in failure

I was going to attempt it today, maybe tomorrow. another thing I don't likeis the sound quality. I can't describe what's wrong but something is off. a few shows from the late 80s, early 90s had that same sound. The New archies is the first that comes to mind.
    I know what you mean. Most of the episodes haven't been fixed with the same love the Filmation series were. There are a few episodes that have been remastered and look and sound wonderful though!

I also forgot Planet Primus had a forcefield which is like the mystic wall in MYP. Drissi even said they don't have to worry about the mutants like Prince Adam did.

Spooky NA and MYP similarities!

Yeah...
    I've never heard of these things, but I think I'm in love with how goofy they are, and I can see the desire for them.

Knowing for years that a toy featured in media made it this far along before being cancelled makes it pretty appealling to NA fans.

I will still label them as obscure though, good sir. But, all things being relative, I can argue that any character who was animated at all is perhaps less obscure than a single drawing and much rougher prototype of a Viking He-Man or a repainted gorilla. Of course, the interest in the vintage line makes them more legendary I suppose, and I'm pretty pleased about Vikor and Gygor, but you see where I'm going here.

Not to stir up anything, but if some folks at Mattel seemingly equate 200X with failure, I wonder if anyone's bugged by NA? Not that they are comparable(semi-sequel vs. reimagining)

I know what you mean. Most of the episodes haven't been fixed with the same love the Filmation series were. There are a few episodes that have been remastered and look and sound wonderful though!

I also forgot Planet Primus had a forcefield which is like the mystic wall in MYP. Drissi even said they don't have to worry about the mutants like Prince Adam did.

Spooky NA and MYP similarities!
    I promise to make another attempt. but the mystic wall was an unused idea from the original series bible. I wonder if they took it and adapted it for NA or if it's just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post

Not to stir up anything, but if some folks at Mattel seemingly equate 200X with failure, I wonder if anyone's bugged by NA? Not that they are comparable(semi-sequel vs. reimagining)
    Well I always assumed that they didn't have any other planets existing or space travellers in the MYP series because of the NA stigma. I think the 'corny' stigma of filmation kept the animals in MYP without voices.

Fear is faith in failure

Elder Councilman
    I sat thru an episode on Youtube; bear in mind the last time I watched an NA episode before that, I was just a kid still....and I didn't like it then.

So I watched one on Youtube....well, I've seen worse, but the thing that really drives me nuts is Skeletor's voice.

When I think of Skeletor, I don't think of a lame Tim Curry knockoff.

I'll try finding more episodes, and watching them, but so far I'm not impressed.

Will I buy the DVDs eventually?

(sigh) yeah......I want everything, so of course I'll get it.

I absolutely love the toys though...but the show was just.....yeah...
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room