Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gleanons and Galactimytes are Obscure...umm...what?!

MOTUC has made me appreciate NA more since it is just a part of the story as opposed to the whole story. If He-Man & Skeletor leaving Eternia for the future was just one season of MOTU, I would have had no problem with it. It was the idea that they basically left almost every piece of the MOTU franchise behind for a new beginning that left me uninterested(I was also at the age when it first aired, unlike the age I am now, where I wasn't really watching a lot of cartoons). MOTUC has incorporated that era into its canon but it is now just one adventure in the larger storyline that is MOTUC.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I wouldn't be interested in these guys. Don't get me wrong I'm a NA fan and loved the cartoon but I never liked these guys. IMO they were the worst thing in the NA cartoon.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That may be true for some but I definitely don't think that's true for all. I was around for MOTU since the beginning but the original 4 mini-comics weren't my preferred canon. It is often about preference and not what came first for a fan. I think a lot of people dislike the NA cartoon just for what it was and not how it compared to Filmation's 2 cartoons. Blackstar came out before MOTU or POP for a lot of us but, personally speaking, it didn't hold a candle to the later shows. I think it's really easy to write off someone's opinion due to "nostalgia" but I don't think that's fair or accurate.
    I agree with that first sentence.

I think preference and what came "first" (depending on which He-Man the subject was first exposed to) goes hand-in-hand most times. Some fans were exposed to Filmation first, so that's their idea of what He-Man and his world both look and sound like. A short time later, we get a new He-Man cartoon with different looks, different voices, different characters, different setting, different animation style and different music and most fans must have found the switch jarring and an instant turn-off. NA wasn't in the established Filmation MOTU/POP universe and it suffered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I wouldn't be interested in these guys. Don't get me wrong I'm a NA fan and loved the cartoon but I never liked these guys. IMO they were the worst thing in the NA cartoon.
    Even worse than the scientists?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Scientists are TERRIBLE in the first few episodes (when they always argue about who made what...makes me want to bash my head against the wall), but then they start to become more "normal" if you will...and dare I say it...pretty darn funny at times. Much better than Jar Jar Binks no matter which level of annoying they reach.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

As cartoon characters, I will be mighty mad if these are featured in MOTUC before FILMation characters.

These little footballs-with-legs creature prototypes certainly look better than Meteorbs but should not be compared with the awesome Energy Zoids. The Energy Zoid concept was fantastic. It's just a pity the spinning feature didn't work better on these guys in toy form.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd be happy to see these obscure footballs-with-legs long before any cyborg Skeletor or NA He-Man or indeed before most of the NA characters. These unpronouncable characters probably should be evaluated on an even basis with Widgets (who are way better known) when considering if they need MOTUC toys.

If these figures are released I guess I will be getting them as I have 2 subs and want to get everything to support the line, in the hope that obscure MOTU characters I do want will eventually be made. If I have to purchase the odd NA figure, then that's a small price in order to get the things I do want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If He-Man & Skeletor leaving Eternia for the future was just one season of MOTU, I would have had no problem with it. It was the idea that they basically left almost every piece of the MOTU franchise behind for a new beginning that left me uninterested ...
    This plus the permanent changes to He-Man, the Power Sword, Skeletor, Castle Grayskull and Sorceress.

I suspect the now oft stated (but never realised) intention to return to Eternia was dreamed up to salvage a sinking franchise, when the suits discovered eradicating MOTU from He-Man and Skeletor's existence was the Hindenburg of ideas when it came to the millions of fans of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The Scientists are TERRIBLE in the first few episodes (when they always argue about who made what...makes me want to bash my head against the wall), but then they start to become more "normal" if you will...and dare I say it...pretty darn funny at times. Much better than Jar Jar Binks no matter which level of annoying they reach.
    I would take a thousand Jar Jars over any one of the scientists!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    These little footballs-with-legs creature prototypes certainly look better than Meteorbs but should not be compared with the awesome Energy Zoids. The Energy Zoid concept was fantastic. It's just a pity the spinning feature didn't work better on these guys in toy form.
    you know I got my energy zoids to work just fine. you had to rev them up good but once you hit that speed they'd stay up and it was really cool. man I wish I had them still one day I'll buy em back but they always go for such high prices!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    you know I got my energy zoids to work just fine. you had to rev them up good but once you hit that speed they'd stay up and it was really cool. man I wish I had them still one day I'll buy em back but they always go for such high prices!
    Darn. Maybe I'm too cautious with mine?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I agree with that first sentence.

I think preference and what came "first" (depending on which He-Man the subject was first exposed to) goes hand-in-hand most times. Some fans were exposed to Filmation first, so that's their idea of what He-Man and his world both look and sound like. A short time later, we get a new He-Man cartoon with different looks, different voices, different characters, different setting, different animation style and different music and most fans must have found the switch jarring and an instant turn-off. NA wasn't in the established Filmation MOTU/POP universe and it suffered for it.

I would be an exception to this then. I grew up with the original mini-comics first, then came Filmation for me, never saw NA when it aired and then 200x came out when I was an adult. Guess which one I like the best? 200x wins hands down for me because the storytelling had evolved IMO (especially when it came to the villains). Now don't think that I didn't really like MOTU as a kid, because that would be wrong. I was crazy for the stuff! But as I recall, even as a child, I didn't care much for the Filmation show as I was always making up my own stories for my toys.

Maybe when I became an adult, I got lazy and let the 200x cartoon actually become my canon.
    END OF LINE

Maybe down the line I wouldn't mind these guys, but not too interested in them right now. I'm in this line for it all, though, so I wouldn't pass them up.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Those..."things"...are just awful.

That's all I'm going to say.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Darn. Maybe I'm too cautious with mine?
    maybe, I got ina lot of trouble for scuffing the varnish off of our wooden table with these guys. I'd rev em up like mad!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Oh yes by far, their like clown shoes!
    To be honest I don't really mind the scientists, but I don't want figures of them either.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

They should have gone with my suggestion of putting one of these in with every NA release
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    They should have gone with my suggestion of putting one of these in with every NA release
    I agree! It's a smart way to crank these suckas out.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

If you look at Orko and Prince Adam, that would make the NA toys at least $25.00 if not $30.00. Considering some people are really against NA, that would be even more of a reason for them not to buy them. I can't see Mattel doing that until Hydron or Flipshot sell out in 2 minutes.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Underling View Post
    I would be an exception to this then. I grew up with the original mini-comics first, then came Filmation for me, never saw NA when it aired and then 200x came out when I was an adult. Guess which one I like the best? 200x wins hands down for me because the storytelling had evolved IMO (especially when it came to the villains). Now don't think that I didn't really like MOTU as a kid, because that would be wrong. I was crazy for the stuff! But as I recall, even as a child, I didn't care much for the Filmation show as I was always making up my own stories for my toys.
    200X is my favorite canon, too. I loved the Filmation shows as a kid, though. Still love them, truth be told. I was open to all the different versions when I was young, and really loved them all. Filmation, in my mind, was the "definitive" back then, though.

Nowadays, even with 200X being my favorite official canon, my own personal MotU mythos consists of a mix of various things pulled from all the canons and stories into something that is rich with texture and depth.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    200X is my favorite canon, too. I loved the Filmation shows as a kid, though. Still love them, truth be told. I was open to all the different versions when I was young, and really loved them all. Filmation, in my mind, was the "definitive" back then, though.

Nowadays, even with 200X being my favorite official canon, my own personal MotU mythos consists of a mix of various things pulled from all the canons and stories into something that is rich with texture and depth.
    I'm kind of like this too. 200x is my favourite aesthetic for the most part. Filmation has a lot of my favourite mythology, MYP and MVC have my favourite characterizations. MOTUC is the best scale and some elements I prefer over 200x (Teela, some of He-Man) so yeah I have to pick and choose to get exactly what I want. but MOTU is the greatest property ever for me.

Fear is faith in failure

I'm a fan of NA. I like it more than the original Filmation show. But I don't think I would want these guys.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    Yes and no. I agree with you in principle, but I think you may be taking some people too literally when they say that. I think, and I could be wrong, that mostly they are saying the same thing I was. MotU was, and should've continued to be, a property with an emphasis on fantasy/sword and sorcery, not sci-fi.

Oh, NA had its elements of fantasy, but the roles of fantasy vs sci-fi were clearly reversed. And, that complaint of mine, is purely a matter of taste. I love both fantasy and SF, but am a far bigger fan of sword and sorcery.

A progressive story, proper origin, and proper ending are all fine and well, but do not a great series make, IMO. While those are all good elements to have, and I agree that NA and MYP share those things in common, the caliber of the writing itself was lack luster. To put it in a very exaggerated way, a Stephen King novel and a story written by a second grader may both have a beginning, middle, and end, but that doesn't mean they are the same caliber of writing.
    That's very nice. Fortunately, after having written over a thousand episode of produced television, six novels -- inluding two bestsellers -- and eighteen films during the past three decades, there are others who disagree with you regarding the caliber of my writing.

On the other hand, the entertainment industry is always looking for talented writers who possess more than "lack luster" skills, so feel free to jump right in.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 6, 2010 at 04:47pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Not everyone likes everything, and I get and accept that. Opinions and tastes differ, which is a good thing. Like your reasons are perfectly reasonable. It's just the people that never give it a chance and go "He-Man doesn't belong in space!" when he was actually in space a bit in the Filmation series. I have a problem with people using that as an excuse. Masters of the UNIVERSE. There was all sorts of space and interplanetary travel going on.
    My intense hatred for it was not the 'space' part... it was the toys...

I had a HUGE collection of MOTU and then they release these cheaper, smaller, torys that had NOTHING to do with my current collection. If the toys had been compatible I MAY have had a more open mind

OK, I can see how that could be cool. I'd like them if they were bonus figures. Maybe even a SDCC 4 pack. They could do both for people who want to army build them.

I just watched the Balance Of Power episode for the first time, so I finally know who these guys are.

The prototype toys look much better than the cartoon designs, and I think they could be fun little bonus figures, especially if they can stack on top of each other like in the cartoon.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; December 15, 2010 at 03:06pm.

It is fair to call them obscure. If they are not obscure characters... what is more obscure then? NA is the most unknown He-man series so far, both Filmation and recant series are more widely known.

Anything Mattel has put out so far has sold out, so I guess even these could sell to some people. However I think most fans agree that a lot of other characters would be more interesting to see first...

Gleanons and Galactimytes army builder instead of Horde Troopers anyone?

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Underling View Post

Maybe when I became an adult, I got lazy and let the 200x cartoon actually become my canon.
    I'm a lot like you but I still prefer the mini-comics.

yes they are obscure.

people are so blinded by nostalgia for their precious filmation that they don't remember NA or they discount how much better it was than filmation. as a result, a lot of people didn't watch the recent dvd releases which is too bad, it's a pretty good cartoon. despite the scientists.

as for these characters? no thanks. please no silly, cutesy gleanons, twiggets, manchines, meteorbs, munchkins, oompa loompa nonsense. it's bad enough i own a trollan. barf.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog