Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 015 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 015 Discussion!

Episode 015 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Emiliano Santalucia and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.
    They are joined by fellow He-Fan Nathan Baertsch!

First we cover fan e-mail!

After that, we discuss a couple more MOTUC bios. This time, The Goddess and Battle Armor He-Man.

A few "highlights" of the show:
    • More pigeon love!
    • Smash Blade He-man potential!
    • Mattel zones in on Eamon's signal?

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 015

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

woo-hoo! perfect sunday night listening ... bring it! ...

another awesome episode guys! ...

on the subject of the favourite eras, i would have to say that when i was a kid it was all about he-man, man-at-arms, skeletor etc. ... the 'main' characters if you like ... so i would have to say the 83/84 era ... having said that, i still remember later characters such as rattlor an leech very fondly from my childhood ... but, i think the main point to make here is that it's since i became an adult that i became more interested in the later-released characters and more 'obscure' characters ...

on the subject of the vikor bio - i totally agree with val in the sense that i would rather see/read details of how this character came to be (the characters design history and origins etc.) rather than a far-fetched continuation of 'the story', which on some of the bios can just seem like space fillers sometimes - i'd rather mattel would acknowledge certain characters as conceptual or prototype characters rather than a whole new being ... im also not a fan of the multiple he-man idea ... he-man is prince adam and prince adam is he-man ... period! ... in my world, at least ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; September 6, 2010 at 02:53pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Great episode, guys!

• That was neat having Baena as a guest for the Green Goddess episode! So will we get Count Marzo on the Count Marzo bio episode? Or me, DC Warlord or Teela-Na if Blonde DC Bikini Teela comes out?

• I'm older than all of ya'll Youngsters!!! Whippersnappers!!!

1983 was my best vintage MOTU year. I finished the 8 back by Spring (although Mer-Man looked weird and Teela wasn't blonde), got all sorts of vehicles, seven more mini-comics and new characters, like Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops. MOTU even had Golden books, read along books and had a TV show later.

• The Great Unrest in MOTUC might be called such because maybe King Miro disappearance from the throne might have led to really turbulent times and every warlord (Marzo, Prahvus, Gygor) might have tried to take the absent throne. Eternos was now leaderless with no King. I think we see a hint how turbulent Eternia might have been when Randor is going around making his alliances with the various warring tribes (Bats vs Lizards, Bees vs Birds, the Cat People, The Centaurs, The Minotaurs, the Kulataks) in MYP.

• Smash Blade He-Man being the only loser out of the ancestral He-Man is funny!

• The Goddess was in DC Comics. She was a prisoner of Skeletor, who punched out the Goddess in the first issue.

• While He-Man might be diminished (or enriched) somewhat by the many past He-Men, Adam is still the most powerful of the He-Men, fighting Skeletor, King Hsss, Hordak, Flogg and others. Adam's accomplishments make the other He-Men pale in comparison.

masterspower.com is a very kewl site...Love those toy comics! Great MYP feelings from those entries!

• Battle Armor Skeletor might have been born of the old 80's syndrome, where one side comes up with a new concept and the hero or villain makes a good or evil version to combat the new power-up or warrior. The Masters gain Rotar, Skeletor makes Twistoid! Skeletor gets Battle Armor, well dammit, He-Man must have Battle Armor to combat it! Flying Fists?!! Skeletor has Terror Claws!

Transformers did this alot too...Megatron makes Stunticons, Prime decides to combat them with Aerialbots! The Dinobots are wrecking out? The Decepticons make Predacons! The Autobots make an alliance with the Nebulans? That means the Decepticons must have Headmasters, Targetmasters and Powermasters too!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 5, 2010 at 07:18pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    masterspower.com is a very kewl site...Love those toy comics! Great MYP feelings from those entries!
    Someone should do this for MOTUC. With the better articulation one could get amazing scenes.

Other than that: Good episode.

Haven't listened yet, I save these for my drive to and from work, makes the traffic a little more bearable, that being said (before I get into a demanding state ) Thank you guyhs so much for these podcasts I really look forward to them and am a BIT upset that I have caught up now as I have to wait for them one day I'm going to callin and leave a comment, maybe soon

anyway...WHERE IS THAT INTERVIEW WE WERE PROMISED!!!!! you guys were so excited about who it was and now it's still nowhere to be seen, the anxiety is KILLING ME! I at least wish I knew who it was!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

It was a rather interesting listen, but something is concerning me about the last few podcasts...

There's so much non-MOTU-related talk going on, and this episode it constantly interrupted the MOTU discussions. The Goddess bio discussion was practically impossible to follow because of all the weird detours. I like to skip over these normally because I'm admittedly listening for the "meat and bones" of the show... the MOTU stuff.

I think it would make it a much better show if you stuck with how you did the early episodes. Focus on doing one segment ata a time and minimize sidetracks until it's done.

Just how I feel about it.

There's folks that like the tangents, and there's folks who wish we would just talk about MOTU and POP.

For me? I love the tangents.
    And based on increasing listenership episode to episode, I'm guessing it's pretty well received.
    I personally don't feel the Goddess discussion suffered at all, and in fact feel it was extremely strong.

I definitely respect those who just want MOTU and POP talk.
    I appreciate that level of passion and admiration for something we all love.
    Rest assured, the podcast is definitely dominated primarily by MOTU and POP talk.

But much like how these forums have a sizable number of users who just participate in the Other sections of the site these days because they have either had their fill of MOTU and POP, or just appreciate a diversion from time to time,
    I feel the little side trips away from MOTU and POP, with goofy comments and jokes, make the podcast a lot more fun and inviting to more people.

I think the deviations from the MOTU talk gives you guys a bit more personality and in a sense makes you characters with more depth sometimes it goes a little far but I feel it helps make you guys more relatable. I can do with or without it but I feel it adds more 'warmth and familiarity' to the podcast.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Definitely cool hearing a new voice on there with Baena bringin the Goddess goodness this episode. I didn't even know much about the history of this character. It's cool that he finally got his "unhealthy obsession" character in the Green Goddess in MOTUC! I know the feeling all too well, Baena, as I finally got a Count Marzo in MOTUC as well!

Like Pixel Dan, I'm 28 as well. That's young for a MOTU fan aint it? I basically grew up throughout the 80s with MOTU figures and the Filmation cartoons.

Really hard to pick a favorite wave from the original line. But I can narrow it down to some of the later mid 80s waves since I remember more of that time period than the earlier waves since I was a very young MOTU fan back then. I loved when the Horde came out. And I really like the later guys and cant wait to see more of them in MOTUC. Ninjor, Mosquitor, Scareglow, and so on...gotta agree with Dan. As I said above, we're about the exact same age so there ya go.

I don't know how many times I've said this but I really dont like the idea of multiple "He-Mans" or "He-Men" and I still hate those terms too! I also don't like how they attempt to fit them into the storyline either. Wouldve been much better if they had the facts, stats, or history of the character on the back of the cards. You know what would have been better than "real names" on the bio cards? First Appearances! That would have been great as many people aren't fond of the "real names" anyways.

Pixel Dan's tastes are so eerily similar to mine. I'm also a sucker for glow in the dark, translucent, brightly colored, shiny, etc... figures. I love the translucent green of the Goddess. In fact I'd love it if there was other colored Goddesses as well. I'd totally get a Blue, Red, Yellow, Purple, or whatever Goddess as a repaint of the Green one we got as long as it was done in that super cool translucent plastic. It really is eye catching.

Those awesome variants of He-Man and Skeletor NEED no explanation in their bios for me. They are just awesome that it doesn't matter how they try to explain it. Just bring em on! Thunder Punch, Terror Claws, and Dragon Blaster especially! I'd really like a Starburst She-Ra too, love that cape of hers!

Oh and the tangets are fun I think. It gives everyone personality and brings entertainment to the show! Keep up the great work guys! I love it and I'm really really looking forward to this interview that we've been teased with for quite a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That was neat having Baena as a guest for the Green Goddess episode! So will we get Count Marzo on the Count Marzo bio episode? Or me, DC Warlord or Teela-Na if Blonde DC Bikini Teela comes out?
    Heh, that would be awesome and I'd love to take part if they asked me. I'm no artist like Baena is though!

If you really wanna hear me for some crazy reason, I sent in a voice message to MOTU Chronicles and it will be on the next episode of that. I'm also going to be sending in a voice message for Gooble very soon as well! I'm a big fan of all these podcasts on both He-Man.org and the Pop Culture Network.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Still in the midst of listening to the podcast.

Just wanted to say that I look forward to hearing you guys talk about the classic cartoon and it's episodes. When you get around to it. Possibly in the episode where you have Lou visiting.

I actually was going to send an voice-mail where I would ask you guys of your favourite classic episode, but now that you side-stepped it (a question about filmation episodes) on this latest episode, I'm glad I didn't send it yet. (Now I just need to think of a better question or comment)

Wasn't the Battle Armor in the original line described as "Magic Battle Armor" on the illustration on the back of the package?
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Yeah, I agree having re-listened. The tangents do add a bit of character to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    Wasn't the Battle Armor in the original line described as "Magic Battle Armor" on the illustration on the back of the package?
    Amusingly, they were marketed as "Zauberrustning He-Man" (And Skeletor) in Germany. Literally "Magic Armor He-Man"

The Bios say that all the previous He-man were protectors of the sword of He and that Adam is the heir of King Grayskull they were waiting that can actually channel the power.

Adam has the power, the others were just heroic protectors. I agree that the He-man "title" is a bit watered down, but it doesn't deminish the powers of He-man in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I think the deviations from the MOTU talk gives you guys a bit more personality and in a sense makes you characters with more depth sometimes it goes a little far but I feel it helps make you guys more relatable. I can do with or without it but I feel it adds more 'warmth and familiarity' to the podcast.
    i totally agree - it adds a personal touch from each presenter, which works really well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Like Pixel Dan, I'm 28 as well. That's young for a MOTU fan aint it? I basically grew up throughout the 80s with MOTU figures and the Filmation cartoons.
    i'm 25, so even younger! ... MOTU was the biggest thing for me as a kid growing up ... i think being 3/4 at the time of the movie release really influenced my fandom as well, as i watched it from quite a young age ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Firstly, I want to thank all involved with the podcast for bringing it to us Motu fans every week; it's something I always look forward to.

Two quick points:

Regarding the Green Goddess bio, I'm pretty okay with the multiple He-Men angle.
    While I can see the appeal of Adam being the only He-Man and thus the saviour of Eternia, the idea of a messianic figure, a 'chosen one', is something that has been used in probably hundreds of stories in various media throughout the years. For me, it's become a bit cliched and stale.

While I understand that is how Adam was originally portrayed, and I can see how the idea of multiple He-Men can potentially dilute the Adam character, for me the idea of a series of He-Men throughout the ages is something fresh and quite interesting.

What I find appealing about it is that Adam now has a measureable benchmark in the form of the He-Men that came before. We know that in order to fulfill his destiny, he has to be better than they were, to succeed where maybe they had failed, and also he has to prove himself to the Eternian people.
    After all, even messianic figures have their doubters and critics, don't they? Why shouldn't he have to prove himself?

In the 400 years between Grayskull and Adam, there have been various He-Men, and none of them have been able to conclusively defeat evil and bring peace to Eternia. Not for very long, at least.
    So maybe there are people/creatures of Eternia who now doubt the effectiveness and relevance of the He-Men and the prophecy?

Perhaps it is only a small percentage of people, or maybe even the majority?
    So it's up to Adam to prove to them that the prophecy of the saviour of Eternia is true, and that he is truly the one to finally triumph over evil.
    (After all, we know he is special. )

I find that a much more interesting concept than simply the great 'I am' showing up and everybody just loves him unconditionally. That's boring, imo.

I do agree that the existence of the Green Goddess does raise some questions about the point of the Sorceress, and I won't attempt to tackle that one, but let's see how these bios play out.

The second point is about He-Man's battle armour. I like the idea that it's created magically. The reason being that, well, what is the point of his normal armour if he can don the Battle Armour whenever he likes? Why not just wear the Battle Armour all the time then?
    My theory is that, like any magical spell, it takes extra mental effort and magic to create the Battle Armour, and so the Battle Armour is not sustainable indefinitely, but for a limited time.
    Just my 2c regarding the Battle Armour...

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    There's folks that like the tangents, and there's folks who wish we would just talk about MOTU and POP.

For me? I love the tangents.
    And based on increasing listenership episode to episode, I'm guessing it's pretty well received.
    I personally don't feel the Goddess discussion suffered at all, and in fact feel it was extremely strong.

I definitely respect those who just want MOTU and POP talk.
    I appreciate that level of passion and admiration for something we all love.
    Rest assured, the podcast is definitely dominated primarily by MOTU and POP talk.

But much like how these forums have a sizable number of users who just participate in the Other sections of the site these days because they have either had their fill of MOTU and POP, or just appreciate a diversion from time to time,
    I feel the little side trips away from MOTU and POP, with goofy comments and jokes, make the podcast a lot more fun and inviting to more people.
    Tangents are good and can get really funny etc., but sometimes they cut off the discussion. There were multiple points in this episode where someone would make a cool or interesting point only to be answered by a crazy comment which led to some jokes, and then when you got back to the discussion people didn't follow up on the original interesting comment like they normally would.

Personally I have found that the past few podcasts have been weaker than those that came before. Some of this can be attributed to all the SDCC talk. Talking about SDCC was understandable but just not quite as interesting after hearing so much of it (especially the SDCC sound bytes podcast -- it was a shot in the dark which was cool, but it just wasn't as interesting. No harm in trying though).

Also, as much as it is cool to have guest hosts and stuff, I think you guys work best as a gruesome foursome
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Don't worry PanMan, I know I won't be a regular on the show, that Val's intent, as stated plenty of times, to keep the main four the mainstays. I'm grateful to have been a guest for the Goddess bio, and I for one hope there will be other surprise guest hosts from time to time. Keeps it fresh, makes it fun!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

it's actually Smashed Blade He-man... he's the group drunk. Had a little too much Eterian wine then went out swinging his sword at radom people.

Honestly, listening to this again, the little tangents are pretty minor overall... I feel like the jib jab is just about right, there's plenty of MotU/PoP Meat in this meal really...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLiger View Post
    it's actually Smashed Blade He-man... he's the group drunk. Had a little too much Eterian wine then went out swinging his sword at radom people.
    LOL
    tiny bypass
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Don't worry PanMan, I know I won't be a regular on the show, that Val's intent, as stated plenty of times, to keep the main four the mainstays. I'm grateful to have been a guest for the Goddess bio, and I for one hope there will be other surprise guest hosts from time to time. Keeps it fresh, makes it fun!
    Hey Baena. Your cameo was fun, and I'd just like to say that without your unhealthy obs- ...unnatural attra- your fandom for the Green Goddess I'd never have thought of her as a character at all. Before seeing your work on the forum years ago (where does time go?) I just considered her a misdesigned and miscolored sorceress.

Anyway, thanks for the extra viewpoint and all the really cool art over the years.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    i'm 25, so even younger! ... MOTU was the biggest thing for me as a kid growing up ... i think being 3/4 at the time of the movie release really influenced my fandom as well, as i watched it from quite a young age ...
    That's the great thing about MOTU fandom! You got the old timers who got into the original toyline then the next batch of fans that grew up with Filmation and we all grew up in the 80s. The movie attracted some attention in the late 80s as you've said.

I wonder how many youngsters are out there that their first exposure was the 2002 era figures with the MYP series.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Listened to the whole podcast.

What I really like, is how you guys can make a comment and everybody tears up in laughter. For me, I like those moments the best because I get a kick out of them too. Comment about Smash Blade being a bumblin' hero was a classic and needs to be illustrated.

Great cameo Nate! And good to know how your name is pronounced.
    Hoping to see a cameo here and there in future podcasts.

In regards to the multiple He-Man diluting Adam's importance.
    For me, this becomes an diluting issue, because of the given time-frame. Like Eamon mentioned, eternian folks still have a memory of the last He-Man, as a new one comes along.
    I wish this would have been spanned out. Like a thousand years or something. The legend of He-Man should come from way, way back from history, but still told in folklore to eternians. A kid could learn about the story of He-Man from grand-father, who heard it from his father, who actually witnessed He-Man in action.

Not so that a boy and his father have different views of He-Man, because there were two He-Men during that span of time. It's like comparing Spider-Man of 1965 to the Spider-Man of 2005.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Great show as always. Awesome to hear Baena, the defender of the Green Goddess himself, as a guest co-host for this episode!

Hundreds vs. Thousands - I agree with Eamon about millennia vs. centuries. I feel there should be a span of thousands of years between Preternia and modern-day Eternia. Five centuries isn't nearly enough.

Multiple He-Men - I'm not a big fan of this idea, BUT I am open to the concept of maybe one other person harnessing the power in the thousands of years between He-Ro & King Grayskull and Adam. In both Filmation and the MVC comics there are references to the name He-Man having been spoken of in legend. Of course, this could just be referencing prophecies and predictions but it might be interesting if one other person we never knew about harnessed the power of Grayskull. I agree with Emiliano that having so many He-Men within such a short span waters down the TRUE He-Man, especially within the context of the story itself.

Sharella - I'm of the mind that Goddess and Sharella should have been released as two separate characters. Also, it makes sense for Sharella to be She-Ra's ancestor name-wise. I hadn't ever thought of that, but the names definitely match up. I bet that was the plan back in the 80s - to have her form a romantic relationship with He-Ro and produce the royal lineage. Interesting.

Product Samples - Another thing I'd like to mention that was brought up in passing during episode 14 - what's up with Mattel not sending product samples to He-Man.org anymore?! There's no denying this site has been instrumental in keeping Mattel-brand products and characters in the public eye for 15 years! Not cool Mattel. Not cool.

~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 7, 2010 at 11:54am.

Great Show

I just listened to the latest show and found it as usual entertaining. The joking and ramblings that can go off topic sometimes is what makes the show.

I don't know about everyone else, but I make it a point to only listen to these shows at work and let me tell you, each podcast makes the day go so much faster.

As for the discussion topics. I think Multiple He-man is just overkill and dilutes the the idea of prince Adam and Adora being the chosen ones. On the other hand if they continue with this idea of multiple he-man, I'd like to see mytho where a previous guardian of the sword of HE decided he was the prophesied he-man and takes half the sword and becomes the first evil he-man. Unless of course this is kinda what Keldor was at one point?

Battle Armor He-Man is just plain awesome and was always my favorite as a kid. I do like the idea that Adam as he grows and becomes a better protector of Eternia and faces bigger challenges learns to invoke more of the power of Greyskull!

My only complaint about the Podcast is that its way to short and to far between. I look forward to each and everyone!!!!