Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...vintage character!

45 50.56%
  • ...200X character!

44 49.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Era Is Keldor From?

I look at Keldor as a vintage character.

Does a character need to be seen to exist? The answer is no.

He was mentioned, and that means he existed in the vintage era.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Totally aware that he was a vintage concept, but because 200x fleshed him out and the figure is based on that appearance, I consider him 200x.

The same distinction applies to Evilseed and Marzo for me- I recognize that they were created in Filmation- but because their figures will take on the 200x look, I consider them in the MOTUC line 200x figures. However, if say Evilseed were to come out in his Filmation look in MOTUC- to me he would be a Vintage character.

Marzo and Evilseed both arguable have 2 different interpretations. Keldor is different in the sense that Vintage came up with him- but never truly explored the character. Kinda like how Carnivus was introduced in MYP, but he might end up being more of a MOTUC character after all is said and done by MOTUC fleshing out his bio and place in the mythos.
    Last edited by Steph; September 17, 2010 at 02:42pm.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    A mysterious name in a mini comic does not a character/figure make.

I voted 200x since we actually see the character in the blue flesh for the first time there regardless if the name was used in a mini comic.

If he was seen or at least described in the vintage mini comic, I'd change my vote.
    Quoted for Truth.

He's a vintage character. He was created back then.
    His look and race are a 200X invention, but the character himself is from the vintage line.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

He's a vintage character. He was created back then.
    His look and race are a 200X invention, but the character himself is from the vintage line.
    My thoughts exactly. To me, the character is 'vintage' MOTU because the character was conceived at that time. But his look is obviously based on his 200x appearance, since it's the only time we ever -saw- the character.

I'll point out that throughout the entire Lord of the Rings (book), we never 'see' Sauron, but rather only references to him. He 'appears' in The Silmarillion. But he's still very much a Lord of the Rings character.

I can't seem to locate the book now. But I have a ladybird book (I think) that has a picture of pre-skullface Skeletor (not called Keldor) with a face.
    The only odd thing is his face was yellow.
    So I would consider him vintage, even though he was visually revamped for 200x.
    He did visually exist in vintage material as pre-skullface Skeletor in combination with the mini-comic search for Keldor implying they were the same being solves it for me.

Heroic Warrior
    100% 200x

A random name in an unfinished story does not make a character. EVERYTHING about Keldor is from the 200x story. The ONLY thing we knew about him in vintage was that he was Randor's brother, and he could destroy Skeletor.

Notice they never said he WAS skeletor.... never said he was a 1/2 brother... Never said he was blue... a swordsman... a magician... NOTHING.

I firmly believe that if it was some OTHER character... OTHER than Keldor... (I can't think of any random names off the top of my head... lousy 1:30...)

Say... It was randomly mentioned about a Chief of the cat people... but never shown, and never detailed... I don't beleive anyone would consider carnivous a vintage character...

What the writers had in mind, and what was floating around the boardrooms... does not make a character... 200x gets all the credit for Keldor.

Better yet... What do we consider Zodak? or Marzo? Are they 200x or vintage? They're based off vintage/filmation characters....

however EVERYTHING about them is based off the 200x era... so they get the status of 200x characters...

NOTHING about Keldor came from the vintage comic except a name....

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I really loved Keldor's characterization in 200X, but Keldor was born in the vintage era. Well before the new cartoon hit the scene, there were fan debates and speculation about whether Randor's brother Keldor was really Skeletor. MYP and MVC took the idea and realized it. They fleshed it out and finally showed us the character of Keldor.

While 200X media never got the chance to outright reveal that Keldor and Randor were brothers, we know based on interviews and episode commentaries that this was the plan. People were anticipating (either negatively or positively) this reveal because it was an aspect of the character many fans already knew about prior to 200X. In other words, elements of the character had already been established prior to the cartoon's existence. 200X added a number of new elements and ideas (the Gar concept, the acid attack, the Randor/Keldor rivalry, the Hordak transformation) to those that were already established (Keldor and Randor being brothers, the possibility that Keldor and Skeletor are one and the same same, Keldor being a sorcerer - "he thought to master magic.").

So, given only two choices I'd say Keldor is vintage because he was created in 1987, and realized in 200X.

~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 24, 2010 at 01:47pm.

I found the picture buried in my Skeletor folder, but I couldn't find the book I thought it was from...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    A mysterious name in a mini comic does not a character/figure make.

I voted 200x since we actually see the character in the blue flesh for the first time there regardless if the name was used in a mini comic.

If he was seen or at least described in the vintage mini comic, I'd change my vote.
    I agree 100%.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

He's a vintage character. I know the idea of him was created during the original line, though very little was revealed about him. He was much more developed during the 200x series.

200x.

I understand the logic behind vintage era, but my gut still says 200x. That is when he got some screen time and when I think of/picture him I think of that medium vs. any other.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I count him as a 200x character, as he really is, since there was no confirmed Keldor in existance back in the day. Any points to the contrary, 200x is what made Keldor what he is, and that's the "Classicized" figure we got.

Frankly I always thought Keldor was Skeletor (once I was made aware of the vintage refrence) but I always thought that the blue skin was part of the transition to Skeletor, and that he was a caucasoid like Randor.

I was a bit saddened that the blue was made part of Keldor, but I've come to peace with it.

VIntage Keldor would have no doubt been a white guy without pointy ears. I'm glad we got the 200x character thought.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I gotta say 200x.

In the original comics Skeletor was from a dimension of other Skeletors. Then when Filmation pooped all over the franchise a name was mentioned in The Search for Keldor. A name doesn't make him vintage. We never saw him.