Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 016 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Probably, but they are the only official entertainment coming out for this line. It's a drop of water to someone stranded in the desert.
    I guess
    Once we get to Orko, I'll talk more in deep about what is lacking from purely a writing and narrative perspective. Orko will be the perfect example for that.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    (Clong: So easy a Crabman can do it.gif)
    ROFLMAO!!!!! We have a new catchphrase!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I guess
    Once we get to Orko, I'll talk more in deep about what is lacking from purely a writing and narrative perspective. Orko will be the perfect example for that.
    That's the second mention of the Orko bio episode. You must have some strong opinions on it if it' ll take up an entire episode.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

ROFLMAO!!!!! We have a new catchphrase!
    It's a pretty lazy photoshop job... but I'm at work and I still think it's funny.
    Bill :: guitargod694

...with all this "i wan΄t more 200X in MOTUC-or don΄t", Bio-disagreement and "negativity-on the boards"-stuff...i just can΄t forget the time when we had no MotU at all...i΄m so happy there are toys............hope that makes sense

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Probably, but they are the only official entertainment coming out for this line. It's a drop of water to someone stranded in the desert.
    But someone in the desert with no water isn't having FUN with that single drop of water, now is he?
    He takes it, because that's all there is.

Yes, some of those names chosen aren't my cup of tea, but G.I. Joe characters have real names and we still know those characters by their G.I. Joe names.
    I know the Joe comparison gets used quite a bit.
    But although Joe still has some heavy fantasy undertones, it's still based in something very real.
    MotU is pure fantasy through and through, and as such I'm not sure the code name/real name thing is appropriate.
    Man-At-Arms is not Duncan's "code name" but instead his TITLE.
    As far as most fans are concerned, HORDAK was not, is not, and never will be his "title", but rather his name.

I don't see what's so tough about MOTU doing this, besides the old guard not liking anything new. Ram Man, Clamp Champ and Buzz-Off's real names might be the new "Duncan" or "Kronis".
    I'm trying to paint in super broad strokes here.
    Of course "Ram Man" couldn't be what they called him when he was little.

But my question is: What does giving EVERY character a "REAL NAME" add to the STORY?
    So far, basically nothing.

If there's no reason for it beyond "I always thought Ram Man was a cheesy name" then IMO it's superfluous and unnecessary to the story.

I'm not wanting to get TOO hung up on the "real names" thing.
    Just that it's one example that exemplifies why overall I'm not a fan of the approach of the bios.

I dunno, we'll have to agree on disagree on this one
    To me saying McQuarrie Luke isn't being lazy, but more paying huge respect to the original designer of the character.
    So, while I don't mind at all to have Vikor as the name of the character, I'd love to see at least a "based on an early He-Man desing by Mark Taylor" on the packaging
    It's all about celebrating the art and the artists
    I have to agree with Toy Guru on this one. My collecting OCD requires that all of the characters have a place in the overall story and have story-based connections to other characters. Vikor as a new character will find a place on the shelf with Goddess, Wun-Dar and probably Gygor near He-Ro and Tytus. Concept He-Man would equate to Mo-Lar and even Toys-R-Us He-Man in my collection, maybe even causing me to question if I need to buy all of the concept/out-of-story figures in the future.

I also feel that since this line is a web-based line for web savvy adults, the actual branding of the figure as concept is a bit unnecessary since most of the customers know that and can find the sketch and story online. I do understand there is valuable history to hold on to with the concept idea but from a marketing/business standpoint, I think Mattel got this one right.

Loved the episode guys and thanks so much for stoping by Toy Guru!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    His American accent sounds like an old lady from the Midwest to me personally. Sorry, Eamon. I was thinking in my head that you were ready to offer the other guys pop and Rice Krispie squares at any moment when you were speaking in your Yank tongue.

And Pixel D, your "Right, right" was straight out of A Clockwork Orange. When ond Alex The Large is talking to his droogies, he occasionally drops a "right, right" in there. As a stout chelloveck I thought you were a big fan of the moloko plus...
    HEY! I'm from the midwest. Now I'm offend.

There. I used a smiley. You happy JVS3?

WOW! maybe I could get used to smileys.

Smileys make everything ok.

I'm not saying it's wrong, as you proved, it's a matter of perception.
    You need to have all your character in the story, I don't. But I conce ed there are surely more people like you

What I dont' agree on is considering Hasbro idea lazy. I don't think they decided to create a concept line because they were too lazy to fit Anakin Starkiller in the line.
    I think they wanted to pay respect to a well recognized artist and well know part of the origin of Star Wars

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    besides the old guard not liking anything new.
    It isn't about not liking anything new. It's about changing what has already been established and doing so in a sometimes sub-par manner. For example, revealing that Skeletor is really two sentient beings joined together or making Orko a secret "Watcher" for Adam. These things change the nature of the characters, and not always for the better IMO.

Even with the existing material/concepts, the bio writers are seemingly trying to cram ALL of the MOTU puzzle pieces together in ways that sometimes don't fit so well. I'm certainly not opposed to new stuff but (a) give me new stuff that's well-written and engaging and (b) don't outright change and replace things that a lot of people already knew and liked for 30 years. I hope the tone of this isn't angry because I'm not. I'm just expressing my opinion regarding why some long-time fans are disappointed by these things.

Also, I'm not knocking all of the bios. There are concepts in there that I find interesting. I do look forward to seeing how everything plays out, but I find that I'm not nearly as invested in these as I was with other incarnations of the canon.

Also, Keldor wasn't a new concept fans grew to accept. The idea was hinted at pretty heavily in the 'Search for Keldor' mini-comic so there was speculation about it for years. MYP was the first to begin exploring the idea and I thought that it was very cool that we were finally seeing some of that story played out.

Anyway, that's my two cents, or pennies if you will.

~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 9, 2010 at 03:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    2: Who in the world said that cloning the sword was easy and that anyone could do it? Maybe it is a very difficult spell that can only be performed once - for such is the strange workings of magic!

TG
    So I read that and my mind thinks that the previous Sorceress using all of her power to clone the sword then dies/disappears leaving the mini comics Teela to take the wings and become the current Sorceress.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    It isn't about not liking anything new. It's about changing what has already been established and doing so in a sometimes sub-par manner. For example, revealing that Skeletor is really two sentient beings joined together or making Orko a secret "Watcher" for Adam. These things change the nature of the characters, and not always for the better IMO.

Even with the existing material/concepts, the bio writers are seemingly trying to cram ALL of the MOTU puzzle pieces together in ways that sometimes don't fit so well. I'm certainly not opposed to new stuff but (a) give me new stuff that's well-written and engaging and (b) don't outright change and replace things that a lot of people already knew and liked for 30 years. I hope the tone of this isn't angry because I'm not. I'm just expressing my opinion regarding why some long-time fans are disappointed by these things.

Also, I'm not knocking all of the bios. There are concepts in there that I find interesting. I do look forward to seeing how everything plays out, but I find that I'm not nearly as invested in these as I was with other incarnations of the canon.

Also, Keldor wasn't a new concept fans grew to accept. The idea was hinted at pretty heavily in the final mini-comic so there was speculation about it for years. MYP was the first to begin exploring the idea and I thought that it was very cool that we were finally seeing some of that story played out.

~Penny~
    I'd agree with a lot of that.
    Are there some people that just don't like change? Probably.
    But not everyone that dislikes some or all of the bios falls into that group.

Also, I've noticed over the last two years that the bios people like the most are the ones where they add new things without contradicting (at least apparently) or replacing old information. Like Scareglow, for example.

And really, I think something that Val keeps saying needs to be repeated...
    These things need mini-comics.

Additions/concepts/ideas that are just one sentence in a bio are a lot easier to object to than something with a fleshed out story to back it up and explain it.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I'd agree with a lot of that.
    Are there some people that just don't like change? Probably.
    But not everyone that dislikes some or all of the bios falls into that group.

Also, I've noticed over the last two years that the bios people like the most are the ones where they add new things without contradicting (at least apparently) or replacing old information. Like Scareglow, for example.

Perfect example! I thought the Scareglow bio was awesome! It didn't change anything, but it did add cool new information that made sense regarding what we did know about the character.

~Penny~

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

Also, Keldor wasn't a new concept fans grew to accept. The idea was hinted at pretty heavily in the 'Search for Keldor' mini-comic so there was speculation about it for years. MYP was the first to begin exploring the idea and I thought that it was very cool that we were finally seeing some of that story played out.

~Penny~
    This is like my viewer voicemail question being revisited when I posed this question to the RGD crew.

But with a new canon, aren't the things that you knew and liked for 30 years subject to change? Otherwise it wouldn't be a new canon, it would be the old canon. Characters are still recognizable, it's just the details that are different.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

But with a new canon, aren't the things that you knew and liked for 30 years subject to change? Otherwise it wouldn't be a new canon, it would be the old canon. Characters are still recognizable, it's just the details that are different.
    That's true... and it's valid for Mattel to change things.
    But that doesn't mean people will like them.

Again, I think it comes down to media support more than anything.
    It's a new canon, sure.
    But it's hard to take it seriously when it's just a sentence on a card back that contradicts the majority of the previous incarnations.
    If there was a toon or comics or mini comics to back up these bios and make them more concrete,
    I think more people would be more on board.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Loved the episode guys and thanks so much for stoping by Toy Guru!
    I agree. A big shout out to Scott for coming and debating it out with us.
    Sure, we won't all agree. But that's half the fun.
    otherwise, the forums would be boring!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    There. I used a smiley. You happy JVS3?
    BOOYA! now we're talkin'!

I think that's debatable because we have alot of fans who don't like anything new....but I am commenting that some fans seem to have an inability to accept MOTU media that isn't Filmation-based.
    That's to be expected.
    But that number is limited!
    Go through and count the actual fans who are this way.
    You'll find that it's actually few to none.

There are a great many Filmation fans who have had no problem embracing the new.
    Otherwise, 200x would have crashed and burned on fan forums if old fans hadn't been receptive to new twists and concepts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Just because you have a preference doesn't mean you don't like or at least tolerate other concepts.
    I may not be fond of some of the MOTUC ideas, but I'm not making voodoo dolls of Mattel employees and sticking pins in them.

awesome podcast guys! ...

val - that's so cool that people noticed your 'he-man.org' t-shirt! do you have any plans to release these logo tees again?? ... staying on topic, i agree that most people now regard he-man as a ''distant memory'', and in my experience many people i know relate to the movie with a fondness for it's supposed cheesy/sunday-afternoon-movie feel (at least among my peers etc.) ... personally i think it's one of the greatest movies ever made! but that's a new discussion ...so basically, it's us 'true' fans and this community that keeps he-man alive today ... oh, and mattel! ... ...

pixel dan - loved the british accents! haha! ... although, there are sooo many accents here in the u.k. - most people seem to stereotype the 'cockney/londoner' voice, as i guess that's what they hear in movies and on the t.v. etc. ... if you heard me talk you probably wouldn't be able to understand me, i'm very north! ... maybe i'll drop a voicemail someday ... it's funny because you and val sound like the same - like the typical generic american accent (i guess val sounds a bit more southern - if that's right?! - feel free to correct me val!) but i know you're from different places! perhaps it's your posh 'podcast-voices' for the show! ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

This is like my viewer voicemail question being revisited when I posed this question to the RGD crew.

See, if you change the nature of a character, it isn't still recognizable. he may look the same, but we're looking at another character at all.
    And I don't have to accept that just because it's a new canon.
    Nee canon should still respect a character. Or it will be a new character, a new story etc.
    So, talking to an extreme, what would left of what I love of MOTU? I need to love a new story because it's under the same logo?
    But I'm going to far.
    I agree it doens't matter if only details changes.
    What I'll say, is that Orko's very nature has changed and that isn't a detail

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    you have any plans to release these logo tees again??
    I really hope to.
    But we want to do more than just the logo shirt.
    I'd really hope to work out a licensing deal with Mattel where we can do the symbol shirts again.

Prior to MOTUC we had a golden relationship with Mattel. From 2000 to early 2008, they came to us for info, we helped promote the line, and we communicated regularly.
    After MOTUC? That went away, sadly, for whatever reason.

But we've been trying our hardest to put our best foot forward for MOTUC and Mattel.
    RGD is part of that.
    I'm hoping a new dawn for He-man.org and Mattel may still be around the corner.

like the typical generic american accent (i guess val sounds a bit more southern - if that's right?! - feel free to correct me val!)
    I hear over and over that I sound like I'm from California, whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I really hope to.
    But we want to do more than just the logo shirt.
    I'd really hope to work out a licensing deal with Mattel where we can do the symbol shirts again.

I hear over and over that I sound like I'm from California, whatever that means.
    i really hope we΄ll see those t-shirts again
    i soooo wanna buy some of them

See, if you change the nature of a character, it isn't still recognizable. he may look the same, but we're looking at another character at all.
    And I don't have to accept that just because it's a new canon.
    Nee canon should still respect a character. Or it will be a new character, a new story etc.
    So, talking to an extreme, what would left of what I love of MOTU? I need to love a new story because it's under the same logo?
    But I'm going to far.
    I agree it doens't matter if only details changes.
    What I'll say, is that Orko's very nature has changed and that isn't a detail
    Is Orko's nature change a bad thing if you didn't like his old persona? What if new canon "improves" upon the old stuff? I do understand not liking the change if you liked the old Orko.

I do see where you're coming from. There is a such thing as new canons changing stuff so far, characters become unrecognizable--which is what I don't like. Like Bayformers. While I don't hate Bay's flicks, the robots look and act so different from the characters that they are "supposed to be", there's really no point in asking for familiar characters anymore. It's like giving a familiar name to a random Bayformer.

Prior to MOTUC we had a golden relationship with Mattel. From 2000 to early 2008, they came to us for info, we helped promote the line, and we communicated regularly.
    After MOTUC? That went away, sadly, for whatever reason.

But we've been trying our hardest to put our best foot forward for MOTUC and Mattel.
    RGD is part of that.
    I'm hoping a new dawn for He-man.org and Mattel may still be around the corner.
    You know, I was thinking...maybe the .org needs to do some video reviews so that Mattel will send you figures again?

You know, I was thinking...maybe the .org needs to do some video reviews so that Mattel will send you figures again?

isn't that what pixel dan does for the .org? ... or did you mean reviews of things other than motuc figures? ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Here's the facts from the ground:

1. Reviews are provided for MOTUC in Roast Gooble Dinner,
    2. He-man.org is largest MOTU fan site in the world,
    3. He-man.org has more active viewers online at any given moment than any general toy news site, including Mattel's own forums (minus the 15th sales date for MOTUC),
    4. Constant promotion and awareness on He-Man.org for MOTUC on main pages news and our forums.

No other site fits the bill more than He-Man.org to be working closely with Mattel,
    let alone receive product samples.

So, I'm really hoping things are going to change soon.
    Sometimes things need to mature like a fine wine, and then it's more enjoyable.
    And I hope by now Mattel knows we're in their corner for brand promotion, information, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    isn't that what pixel dan does for the .org? ... or did you mean reviews of things other than motuc figures? ...
    Yeah, you're right. So much for that idea...

Maybe the .org can do pictorial reviews like Fwoosh, Cool Toy Review and AFI?

Yeah, you're right. So much for that idea...
    yeah, but it's still a good idea though!

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Here's the facts from the ground:

1. Reviews are provided for MOTUC in Roast Gooble Dinner,
    2. He-man.org is largest MOTU fan site in the world,
    3. He-man.org has more active viewers online at any given moment than any general toy news site, including Mattel's own forums (minus the 15th sales date for MOTUC),
    4. Constant promotion and awareness on He-Man.org for MOTUC on main pages news and our forums.

No other site fits the bill more than He-Man.org to be working closely with Mattel,
    let alone receive product samples.

So, I'm really hoping things are going to change soon.
    Sometimes things need to mature like a fine wine, and then it's more enjoyable.
    Or when someone new is in power over at Mattel.

Mattel isn't Hasbro. Hasbro gives fan websites information and hires fan artists and writers to be professionals. Hell, fans have even gotten referred to on Beast Wars. After seeing that, I continue to be both surprised and horrified that Mattel doesn't go out of it's way to acquire this passionate talent--talent who'd do stuff for free, simply because they love the property!