Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mini-comic MotU Classic customs

did you ever get triklops done cant wate to see him his is the one i wont to see i say he is killer do u got more pics of him

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    sorry for the late responses, i wanted to use my mom's camera which works better on the computer.

I flocked most of beastman, I ran out on his arms and left side but you'll get the general feel for it. (I also am working on another red beastman [unflocked/deeper shades of red])

Prince Adam is also finished in the next few pics.

I decided to use magnets on the Stratos/Avatar & hopefully you guys can see how well it helps with interchanging things. I decided to put a slit in the upper armbands so they don't hinder any motion and since they were unconsistant with stratos in the mini-comics, hopefully I am not wrong on any of his color placements.

And finally....

W/O much introduction....

Texiera Tri-Klops!

and crew.

Much thanx to the SpyMonkey team. I hope you guys develope a sheath to go with that sword.
    Last edited by Andy Adams; January 18, 2011 at 12:36pm.
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

Triklops looks AMAZING!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    sorry for the late responses, i wanted to use my mom's camera which works better on the computer.

I flocked most of beastman, I ran out on his arms and left side but you'll get the general feel for it. (I also am working on another red beastman [unflocked/deeper shades of red])

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...abypics058.jpg

Prince Adam is also finished in the next few pics.

I decided to use magnets on the Stratos/Avatar & hopefully you guys can see how well it helps with interchanging things. I decided to put a slit in the upper armbands so they don't hinder any motion and since they were unconsistant with stratos in the mini-comics, hopefully I am not wrong on any of his color placements.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...abypics029.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...abypics031.jpg

And finally....

W/O much introduction....

Texiera Tri-Klops!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...abypics052.jpg

and crew.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...abypics073.jpg

Much thanx to the SpyMonkey team. I hope you guys develope a sheath to go with that sword.
    THAT IS SO KILLER NOW THAT A TRIKLOPS U GOT IT DEAD ON

WOW!

That Triclops is FIRE!

I alos really dig the barbarian bare toesy he-man!

Great Work man
    My Avatar is Robert Goulet as a stormtrooper holding a Fudgie the Whale Cake -

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Excellent! I'm very happy with the results! Tri-Klops and Trap-Jaw are flawless! Red-Beast(man) i wasn't so hot about before but with the flocking it looks much better, and i'm not even a fan of flocking.

Adam looks great! And stratos is very nice! I know I'm probably too late to give feedback since he looks done, but I would have cut the backpacks lower part and kept it on. He does need that red belt on top.

Regarding the wristbands:
    Nekkid Stratos appears only in two mini-comics, In King of Castle Grayskull he appears in one image and his wristbands are yellow!
    In the Vengeance of Skeletor he appears throughout the whole issue and his wristbands are blue! Make of that what you will but I like the results you got!

Edit: nevermind about the red belt, I see he has it in the second picture!
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Mini-comic Roboto

I finally got around to roboto. I left the chest clear on this one & took out all of his gears then lowered the position of his heart. I haven't glued his torso back together yet because I'm still tempted to tackle the needed skulpting on it.

I hope these pictures do some justice & I really want to know what other peoples' opinions are on mini-comic roboto.

Roboto looks Photoshopped, and I mean that in a good way.

The paint is so clean and in such thin even coats that I can't tell that it's actually been painted! Very nice work.

I hadn't thought about the placement of the internal bits until now, but the heart really is prominent now. It's a nice detail that makes him more than a repaint to me. If you end up doing more work in there, you could even make the heart stand out more with a lighter, brighter, or metallic red, but I'm not sure since I really like the way it is now.

I think all of your figures have been really great. The colors used here somehow look the most like they jumped right off of a 4-color comic page. It's nice.

I'm also curious about your Castle repaint behind him. Did I miss a thread for that?

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Roboto looks Photoshopped, and I mean that in a good way.

The paint is so clean and in such thin even coats that I can't tell that it's actually been painted! Very nice work.
    Thanks man, that means alot. I only wish I could do photoshop, lol! I've learned over the many years that light coats of paint work best even if that means doing it over & over & over and...well, until it looks right all around.

I hadn't thought about the placement of the internal bits until now, but the heart really is prominent now. It's a nice detail that makes him more than a repaint to me. If you end up doing more work in there, you could even make the heart stand out more with a lighter, brighter, or metallic red, but I'm not sure since I really like the way it is now.
    The heart is painted a bright red mixed with some metallic red but the photo doesn't show it that well. and what's weird is that there's already a hole in a lower spot that the heart fits into.

what I'm thinking of is 2 things actually, one is to put the skulpted details on that are missing and try to recast it in clear, the other is to just paint the torso with details silver or try out something like they did with the 200x roboto to get the details. Right now, I'm really wishing he had the king hsss swappability.

I think all of your figures have been really great. The colors used here somehow look the most like they jumped right off of a 4-color comic page. It's nice.

I'm also curious about your Castle repaint behind him. Did I miss a thread for that?
    not compared to john blackstar my friend.

that would have been this thread http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166672
    i have repainted the gold and some of the white since then.
    Last edited by Andy Adams; April 16, 2011 at 05:34pm.

Nevermind my suggestion, you already did it! I think it looks great and really does stand out. It's as easy to see in your photo as my standard Roboto heart is when I looking at it up close, so your arrangement and paint did quite a bit.

I've recently come to appreciate the results that come with the patience to apply multiple super-thin coats of paint. It really does make a difference! I hate the process sometimes, since the gold, white, and yellow I'm using are tough enough to use with thick paint. Beast Man must have taken forever!

I just looked over your pages that I missed sometime after your first post, and it's all really cool. The line work on Tri-Klops would have driven me crazy to attempt. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Nevermind my suggestion, you already did it! I think it looks great and really does stand out. It's as easy to see in your photo as my standard Roboto heart is when I looking at it up close, so your arrangement and paint did quite a bit.
    I'd have to dig out the other roboto for a side by side comparison. i still can't believe how they put the second notch in there to easily lower the heart and i only damged the big red gear doing this.

I've recently come to appreciate the results that come with the patience to apply multiple super-thin coats of paint. It really does make a difference! I hate the process sometimes, since the gold, white, and yellow I'm using are tough enough to use with thick paint. Beast Man must have taken forever!
    In all honesty, i cheated on Beasty. He was done in 2 coats of car spraypaint. (which is a bit more expensive BTW) the initial coat took a few days to dry then I applied the 2nd coat at all the joints and sockets that weren't painted after rotating them and whatnot..

I just looked over your pages that I missed sometime after your first post, and it's all really cool. The line work on Tri-Klops would have driven me crazy to attempt. Well done!
    thanks agian man, especially for taking the time and hassle of swimming through this entire thread. someday I'll get them into my Org archives for easier veiwing pleasure.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well, it's been a while, but it was definitely worthy to wait for an update!
    excellent job, as always: great idea with the heart-shaped chip.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    these are a lot of fun.
    love the oo lar figure.

It would be amazing to get these as official figures. Maybe some day.

All very awesome!
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

When you disassembled the skeletor shoulder, did you have to cut through the central peg or did you find some other way to break it apart? The only techniques I've seen so far involve just cutting the peg then using superglue to stick it back together after you re-assemble it.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Snappy Threader
    Wow I really love Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    When you disassembled the skeletor shoulder, did you have to cut through the central peg or did you find some other way to break it apart? The only techniques I've seen so far involve just cutting the peg then using superglue to stick it back together after you re-assemble it.
    on skeletor i cut the torso, shoulders, arms, and everything else apart, on trappy i cut through the central peg and just did some gluing. the latter was the easier method by far.

on that note...I have to now commute 4hrs each day to and from work and I have daddy duties on top of that so my time has limited me to becoming a weekend warrior.

i do customizing as my escape from the world and that is very limited nowadays.so, here's a finished project and some WIP's that I'm working on or revisiting.

first up is secret liquid of life Teela finished.

here's teela that I'm revisiting

barbarian he-man is getting revisited with some ideas i'm finally being able to implement.

and i'm finally tackling some guy with a boneface...I don't remember the name

if there's any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to leave them, I'll try to get back at 'cha when i 'm able to.