Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 017 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 017 Discussion!

Episode 017 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Emiliano Santalucia and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First we cover fan e-mail and voicemail!
    And we had so much of it this time that we never made it to the MOTUC bios.
    We'll get back to those next week.

After that, we have part 1 of our interview with one of the creators behind Masters of the Universe, Ted Mayer! You won't want to miss it!

A few "highlights" of the show:
    • Bird is the word!
    • Bright eyes burning...
    • Don't put mustard on the cat!

Also, for the first time, thanks to Mr. Mayer, He-Man.org is happy to reveal never seen before pictures of Battle Ram, Wind Raider and Eternia concept prototypes, as discussed in the interview!
    Check them on the main page of He-Man.org or visit our Original Masters of the Universe Prototypes and Concepts section!

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 017

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

2 hrs, 30 minutes. Wow.

Interview segments always run long.

The regular show is about 1 to 1.5 hours.
    Then interviews are generally about an hour.
    If the interviews go a lot more than that, we try to split them into two segments of relatively equal length.

Hope you enjoy!

Exciting... Is this going to be about the Mark Taylor vs. Roger Sweet controversy?

Downloading...

I'm still munching on last week's dinner. Can't wait to get home and download the next helping.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Exciting... Is this going to be about the Mark Taylor vs. Roger Sweet controversy?
    Nah, this isn't about this.
    This is just us learning about their involvement, and they tell their story.

The listener can make up their own mind of how it all played out back then.

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    Love those pics in the gallery. I want a Battle Chariot for MOTUC!!!

Those concept pics are great! I want a wooden Wind Raider now.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Emiliano, don't take offense, but it just occurred to me that they you used your voice for Janosz in Ghostbusters II. I knew it!

And dark and moody for MOTU movie---all the way!

Alright, alright... I've caved a little on Battlecat. Judith's email was the last straw on this camel's back.

I'd be fine with Battlecat and Cringer talking, as long as the execution is done well.

I don't feel they SHOULD talk.

I just won't scream if he does talk. I think I'm okay with it.

So maybe I'm in Dan's camp now. Won't miss it if he doesn't talk, won't be upset if he does.

- Wimbley Fraggle.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    2 hrs, 30 minutes. Wow.
    Hell YEAH!!! It'll make my early morning job go so much faster now!!! Thanks guys!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    So maybe I'm in Dan's camp now. Won't miss it if he doesn't talk, won't be upset if he does.
    Well, after all, Dan's the mostly neutral voice of the show.

...the sexy neutral voice!

I cant find these pics...???
    EDIT: Nevermind, found them.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Follow the links in the first post, sir.
    They are right there at the bottom of the news entry,
    and in the prototypes for classic MOTU.

Hmm I didn't see them in the Prototypes section... but I found them in the article itself.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

You have a point about Artax, I didn't think of that. I guess my main point was a very similar hero/steed relationship was changed when translated to film in the same way. To be honest, as long as Cringer isn't a total goofball, I'm fine with having him talk in the movie, though I admit that it's very shaky ground to be treading on since I agree that it could easily fall in the cheesy realm.

Also, you guys need to read The Neverending Story! And Watership Down! Those are two of my favorite books of all time, and I don't even read that much.

Oh, and if you want an example of a "dark and moody" kids movie, some of the Harry Potter films fit the bill quite nicely, and I can't think of any talking animals.

You're right. I DO need to read those.
    I'm sort of ashamed to say I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Hmm I didn't see them in the Prototypes section... but I found them in the article itself.
    Links to the prototype section fixed!

I loved this episode. More accents!

We'd been talking about trucks on the chat earlier so hearing the brief mention of trucks cracked me up. If you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, check out the "Gygor trukk support thread".

The comparison between the MOTUC canon and "Lost" made me remember something. How many of you guys watched X-Files back in the day? That was pretty much the same thing as Lost back then, with each season just piling on more answer and with no resolutions ever forthcoming. I think it was fairly clear by season 3 of X-Files that the "cool revelations" they kept promising just never happened. I was a huge fan of that show at the start but it just ended up being unsatisfying.

So much Cringer/BC discussion... I honestly don't care either way. I think it is (as you say repeatedly) a question of how it's done. If it's played fairly straight, then I'm all good with it. If Battle Cat is some kind of wisecracking sidekick? Nnnnot so much. It's cool to hear all the discussion about it! There's so many different nuances to it.

The theory about Green Goddess being evil was actually pretty awesome... I really liked it!

The interview is spectacular, I love hearing about the genesis of the franchise. Very cool to hear that Mark Taylor went on to work on TMNT! This is the coolest thing to listen to, especially things like who He-Man was modeled on!

Will be sure to tune in next week of course

Yeah, I really liked Caesar's idea for the Goddess.
    I never thought about that angle, and I think it fits in awesomely with MOTUC.

Heck, we never know! They may have that in mind already! We just haven't found out yet.

Just got to the beginning of the interview, and I am jazzed for it! It's great to see those prototype pics! The Battle Chariot looks to have hints of the Road Ripper in it, too.

Fan Art of the Week: MOTUC Meejitz by super-munkyboy
    Fan Site of the Week: maitresdelunivers.org (translation in English via Google)
    Collectible of the Week: Merchandising > Lamps and Flashlights > Castle Grayskull Flashlite
    Last edited by josh; September 15, 2010 at 08:41pm.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Still listening. Great stuff!

Eamon, Secret of Nimh had sword fights and violence and blood and it was dark yet also for kids, and yet it was about talking animals (and it was great). Actually, so is Legend of the Guardians, dude! Talking owls! Selective examples!

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    Listening right now, so far its awesome!!!
    When I'm lifting heavy objects I sometimes shout, "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL"

I too like the evil Goddess idea, and I wasn't even against the idea of including her in the first place (or the multiple He-Men).

Since the BC/Cringer talk carried over into this Dinner, I figure here's the best place for my own thoughts.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say an MOTU film would be ruined or even hampered by a talking giant cat, I'm not convinced it's necessary and would prefer not to see it happen.

I feel that Battle Cat/Cringer's main issue, for some people, is that they want him to have his own personality and ability for He-Man to sort of confide in him and have a friendly relationship beyond just 'man and mount.' That I can get behind.

What I want to add is that there is a history in various media, even films, of animals that don't talk still being affecting characters in their own right.

Take the film Hidalgo as an example. Obviously the horse (Hidalgo) doesn't talk. But that horse still had loads of personality. And more importantly, Viggo (playing Frank Hopkins) was able to carry on an almost familial relationship with the Hidalgo via both Hidalgo's own eccentricities and excellent acting chops on Viggo. He really seemed to confide in, and rely on, Hidalgo. In turn, Hidalgo seemed to really care for Frank in its way. And we SEE this in the film, without Hidalgo ever having to speak.

In my mind, Hidalgo represents one of the most effective and endearing human-animal relationships ever put on film.

The ability to use that kind of storytelling is amplified by Battle Cat being more than just 'a horse.' He can still be portrayed as highly intelligent, empathetic with Adam, and can be given way more personality than any real animal.

Take the Pegasus from the Disney Hercules animated film for instance. TONS of personality - didn't speak at all.

I would say these character relationships were as well done, if not better than, let's say Bowen and Draco (Dragonheart) which was a man and a talking dragon.

All this isn't to say that Battle Cat talking is stupid. Just that I don't feel it's absolutely necessary to conveying his intelligence, his personality, or his close relationship with Adam.