Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to order successfully on DR (for the most part)

How to order successfully on DR (for the most part)

OK, so I was able to successfully order Tytus, and it looks like I found a pattern for how to make this work based on my success ordering other figures (Battle Cat, etc.)--my only failure so far is flocked ear Moss Man (and there were only, like, ten of those or so, so I understand that).

1. Using INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY (the other browsers are terrible with the DR site), get onto the ordering page (where it has the specific figure you are ordering and it says “coming soon” instead of “add to cart” for now) about 15-20 minutes in advance.

2. Refresh, refresh, refresh until you get the eventual WSOD.

3. Once you’re taken back to the ordering page, refresh, refresh, refresh.

4. Each time you get the WSOD, stop hitting refresh until you get back to the order page.

5. Rinse and repeat.

6. At about a minute or two to Noon, the figure will be available to order (yes, the “add to cart” has appears a minute or two BEFORE Noon more than a couple of times for me now).

Now, I am not saying this is a be all, end all. It’s a mystery as to why some of you are getting a payment failure authorization when your card is fine and has enough funds. That sounds like a cluster^&*$%# on the DR side. It happened to a friend of mine today as well.

But this is the best method I have come up with. I hope it helps everyone! I think Keldor will be the ultimate test...
    Read my book: True Confessions of a Fanboy www.truefanboy.com

Heroic Warrior
    According to someone I spoke to at DR, "Payment Authorization Failed" is the new "Sold Out". Yeah, baby!
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

I don't know about needing Internet Explorer. I've used Firefox each time and I have not missed one yet.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    According to someone I spoke to at DR, "Payment Authorization Failed" is the new "Sold Out". Yeah, baby!
    I kept on going for a 1/2 hour until I got my card to go through. Pretty fricken painful but I managed to get a optik and mer-man. I lost tytus in the refresh screen =\
    [WASHINGTONIAN COLLECTOR MEMBER since 2002]

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    I don't know about needing Internet Explorer. I've used Firefox each time and I have not missed one yet.
    Hmm, anytime I tried either Firefox or Google Chrome, I got far longer waiting periods with the WSOD. I wonder if it depends on the individual's server.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    this is exactly how I order.. and I was able to get everything from 2010 with no sub.

...but now that the secret is out.. will I be able to keep my lucky streak!?

Safari browser FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71
    'Picture it, Eternia.......'

Widget
    Also had success with these steps but using Firefox.

I use a Mac, they don't make IE for Macs anymore, and I always get past WSOD with Firefox while Safari never recovers. Also, getting there early doesn't make a difference. I got cheated out of BC with the WSOD and I was there early and using IE on a PC at the time.

same problem here with safari. I could get Tytus with firefox while safari was still showing the wsod for at least 20 minutes... why?

I always use Firefox and have never had a problems with getting stuck on the auto-refresh/server busy screen.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    This is my method that I use and have used ever since I missed out on Battle Cat and Trap Jaw.

I load up 2 pages.

The sale of the day page: http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...rID.4361689409

and the MOTUC shop page:
    http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...oryID.12422000

As soon as we get to around 10 minutes to the sale, I refresh each one once every minute or so. Eventually I'll get the WSOD like around 5 to a few minutes to go. Whichever page gets that WSOD first, I leave that alone and attempt to browse Mattycollector on the other page I have open. If it is WSOD, then I'll try to refresh it or just x it out and click on the mattycollector link in my favorites. Eventually one of them will allow me to order within a couple minutes.

And I'll tell you what, most of the time the window that I'm browsing with, x'ing out, refreshing, and such gives me the opportunity to order things before the one that I leave alone. Whoever thinks or says there's any kind of queue couldn't be more wrong. And I don't care if I slow down the servers by having 2 windows open because there are thousands of people doing the same and I don't want to be the one missing out. Oh, and I use Internet Explorer.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Kane has it down with what he said. IE is the only way to go. I use Chrome for everything else, but it fails miserably on sale days.

I usually have both my desktop and laptop going. The desktop lets the WSOD do it's job, and the laptop, I refresh. It's actually about equal on which one gets through first.

Just for fun today, I let the WSOD do it's thing on Chrome, and it was still refreshing when I got home at 7pm EST.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I hate IE, so no dice for me. I usually run Safari and Firefox, and I have had far more success with Firefox. Well, success in the DR sense, so it's all relative.

I'm using Ubuntu and Firefox and have been lucky so far.

IE is the only thing I know and care about. I'll normally have three windows opened at the same time at some location or pathway on the product I wish to purchase. The first one that refreshes is the one I start using. I also get on the site about 15 minutes before the sale time.

Using Opera (and sometimes Firefox) with Linux (PC-Linuxos) has worked very well for me....

next theory??

I've used nothing but Firefox and have not missed anything yet.

( except battlecat, to which i was able to call DR and have them fix the error )
    My Feedback Thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164164

Positive transactions with these guys:

Kevenn, Ryzor, Dino_Ranger_White, Ledjam

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have to agree with using Firefox. It has worked out great for me. I haven't missed out on any figures.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

i have a question, if you have 2-3 browsers up and with all of them, you get to the checkout screen, do you check out on all and see which one goes through first and then x-out the others once one of them is successful?

nothing is safe with this company so sometimes i think about doing that
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

I use Linux and an Iphone. No IE period. Any advice for me?
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

Quote Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
    i have a question, if you have 2-3 browsers up and with all of them, you get to the checkout screen, do you check out on all and see which one goes through first and then x-out the others once one of them is successful?

nothing is safe with this company so sometimes i think about doing that
    Yeah, that's what I did at the beginning...if you end up with an extra, you could always sell it to a .orger in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaundon View Post
    I use Linux and an Iphone. No IE period. Any advice for me?
    I'm afraid I don't have experience with those two...sorry!
    Last edited by Kane429; May 18, 2010 at 06:53am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

After still seeing posts from people saying they are stuck on the WSOD for up to an hour or more I thought I'd update this thread.

1. The first post in this thread says to use Internet Explorer only when ordering form Matty. This is incorrect. I have used Firefox every time since the dawn of Matty and never had a problem and I'm sure other browsers will also work fine.
    I've never had the WSOD for more then 15-20 mins, the only figure I've missed out on was Faker and this was not due to a browser issue but DR server problems, I believe that was one of the worst moths for DR.

2. Check your browser version and update if needed. If you are using a really old browser such as Internet Explorer 6 (which is what comes with Windows XP) or Firefox 2.0 I would recommend upgrading to the latest version you can run on you machine, with the possible exception of Internet Explorer 8, you might want to stick with Internet Explorer 7 but I'll leave that up to you.

3. Delete your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files before you order (warning this will delete your any saved passwords and form data you have set your computer to remember so make sure you know them before you do this).
    If you are unsure how to do this please see the below links:
    http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2
    http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_temp_files.asp

4. If you get the WSOD do not click the refresh button yourself, watch the counter on the screen and you will see the page automatically refresh itself. If you get the WSOD in between the steps or the order process, again do not click the refresh button yourself let the page automatically refresh itself.

Hope this helps,
    Matt.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Honestly, if I only used IE, it would have taken longer to get my order in yesterday.

I'm not knocking IE. I've successfully ordered with it many times in the past. But for me it's a guessing game as to which browser will get through first. Yesterday I used IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Of all things, I ended up getting my order through with Safari, and that's after having miserable problems with it when ordering Orko (which was the first time I used Safari).

In the past I've used both IE and Firefox. Early on, Firefox seemed to work better. But then I went through a stint where IE was typically getting me trough faster. But ultimately there is no reliable consistency that I have found that is fool-proof or that is the best route to go in EVERY case.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I was also running IE FF, and Safari. Safari was the only one that I could get through on. IE and FF took nearly up to an hour before I could even enter quantities. The problem with Safari was every time I got to the log in screen it would refresh as I was typing my log in information in. THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT DEFINITELY SHOULD BE FIXED. ONCE SOMETHING IS IN YOUR CART THERE SHOULD BE NO MORE REFRESHES!

Also for the record I have my IE and FF set to never save anything, no cookies, and cache never saves.