View Poll Results: Should Cringer Or Battle Cat Talk In A New MOTU Movie?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cringer & Battle Cat Should Talk!

52 39.39%
  • Cringer Should Talk!

3 2.27%
  • Battle Cat Should Talk!

9 6.82%
  • Neither Of Them Should Talk!

54 40.91%
  • Cringer Should Only Be In The Movie & He Should Talk!

1 0.76%
  • Cringer Should Only Be In The Movie & He Shouldn't Talk!

0 0%
  • Battle Cat Should Only Be In The Movie & He Should Talk!

0 0%
  • Battle Cat Should Only Be In The Movie & He Shouldn't Talk!

11 8.33%
  • Neither Should Be In The Movie!

2 1.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Cringer Or Battle Cat Talk In A New MOTU Movie?

Should Cringer Or Battle Cat Talk In A New MOTU Movie?

Should Cringer Or Battle Cat Talk In A New MOTU Movie?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Cats cant talk...... ...but seriously... NO i think it would take away from the movie.... its ok(i guess) for the cartoon... but live action would just appear to be silly...
    Last edited by H.A.L.9000; March 7, 2012 at 04:13pm.
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I agree Cats cant talk. Panthor didnt talk. So If he is in the movie, which he should be, neither of them should talk.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Cats cant talk......
    People can't gain powers through magical swords.

People can't survive for long periods of time without skin on their faces.

Horses can't fly.

There are no such things as floating trolls.

If you are looking for reality, you're in the wrong franchise.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; September 17, 2010 at 02:17pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I said it in the RGD 017 thread too, but I vote no talking from the kitty. I just don't think of that character having that much to say. And the potential for bad execution is awfully high.

I don't want Battle Cat to talk (I don't want Cringer in the movie).
    When I think of BC in a movie, I want him to be like Tornado in Antonio Banderas' Zorro movies. That horse couldn't talk, but had a lot of personality.
    I want BC to be like that.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Heroic Warrior

Nothing good will come of it

In the original filmation Cringer and Battle cat added little to any plot he participated in so I doubt it would translate well into a feature film.

I could accept Battle Cat/Cringer talking, as long as he was still ferocious in battle and was not used for comic relief.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

Shouldn't really make much difference either way. He spoke in the original cartoon and comics, etc. Didn't in the latest one. Didn't seem to affect the story telling either way.

I Don't think being live action should be an issue. Disney are currently on their third or fourth movie in a series where a talking lion (amongst a whole horde of other talking animals) is the central character. Hasn't done them any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I Don't think being live action should be an issue. Disney are currently on their third or fourth movie in a series where a talking lion (amongst a whole horde of other talking animals) is the central character. Hasn't done them any harm.
    Technically it's 20th Century Fox that is on the third movie in a series where a talking lion is the central character. Having said that, I don't think Disney dropped the franchise because of the talking animals.

JOIN THE GROUP...

My apologies. I've only seen the first two, and they had the Disney castle at the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    My apologies. I've only seen the first two, and they had the Disney castle at the beginning!
    I was just kidding. I think Disney dropped it since the second movie didn't make as much money as they wanted.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    i want him to talk. he is a character. he is much more than just a horse.

that being said, i think he could have a very strong voice as battle cat. and he-man would talk to him in sort of a "calvin and hobbes" sense. it would be like talking to himself. but i would very much like battle cat to respond.

if cringer couldnt talk, and BC could, it would add more to the whole, "magic changes you" type of aspect. which i very much like.

I don't see why he couldn't talk. It wouldn't be hard to animate for the effects. I mean, if you're gonna cast the voice of Battle Cat I don't see why you couldn't just hire someone like Michael Madsen. It's not like anyone complains when he's in a movie.

I think it would be far stranger if Battle Cat was the best performance in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If you are looking for reality, you're in the wrong franchise.
    I feel this way too.

I'd like to see both Cringer & Battle Cat talk

Too many answers . . .

This question has too many options. Only two answers were really needed: Should either of the two talk?

Whether or not they should exist in the movie should be a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    This question has too many options. Only two answers were really needed: Should either of the two talk?

Whether or not they should exist in the movie should be a different question.
    I can't tell you how many polls get answers like "I can't vote since none of the options represent how I really feel". Giving every conceivable answer as an option eliminates that problem.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    No! Cringer/Battle Cat shouldn't be allowed to talk. this is not a movie aimed at just toddlers.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    this is not a movie aimed at just toddlers.
    The toddlers that have posted in this thread are incredibly literate. I can only wonder when I have kids and they make it to 3 or so, will they have all the lucidity and articulacy of a bunch of 30-somethings?

They do grow up fast these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    No! Cringer/Battle Cat shouldn't be allowed to talk. this is not a movie aimed at just toddlers.
    Because He-man and his world comes across as a 'mature' movie if we don't have talking animals?

I hope we get something that captures the feeling of MOTU without some director's attempt to modernize it. I just don't want it to be another GI Joe or Bayformers.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Personally I could live with either a mute or a talking Battle Cat, but if he does not talk, I think they should at least make it clear that he's much more than just a beast of burden. One possibility would be that He-Man can understand what he says but others just hear growls, purrs and hisses. Or would that make him too much like Chewbacca?

I'm not too fond of traditional Cringer, but if he is in the movie, I think it would be clever to make him more of an ordinary feline (if you can say that of a green tiger). I agree that giving only Battle Cat the ability to talk would make him more special and magical.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

All I have to say is "Aslan". Pure awesome. 'Nuff said.

To Talk or Not to Talk

This is one of those tough things in a movie. Because there's never a middle ground; either it works and it's great, or it's bad and it ruins the whole movie. I know when I saw M.Night's interpretation of THE LAST AIR BENDER, I was happy with how Appa and Momo were rendered, even though I was disappointed with the rest of the movie.

With a Masters of the Universe film, I think there's an even greater potential that was lost in the first attempt back in the 80's. I think that's what's been the problem for some time now. A lot of writers and directors have become intimidated, maybe even scared, of the source material. We definitely have the technology, with the advancements in computer generated graphics and visual effects, to create anything we can imagine.

With respects to Cringer/Battle Cat: I would agree that either way would work in a live action film. But I do think it might heighten the experience of we saw a shy, timid Cringer (not in a goofy way) mystically transformed into the mighty and vicious BATTLE CAT. Personally, I've never envisioned Cringer as a green tiger with stripes, but as some kind of Eternian "Liger" hybrid or something similar. Weta digital, or ILM probably could realize this magical beast for a live action film successfully. And I'd be happy if he had speaking parts. Maybe voiced by Keith David (Disney's Goliath from Gargoyles) or Michael Clark Duncan, someone with a deep, commanding voice.

I really couldn't say it any better myself Ge-man. I just hope that when they do get around to doing it they do it right.
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up that's optional.

I prefer them not to talk. I never imagined them talking until I saw the Filmation cartoon and preferred them unable to communicate with human speech in my own mind when playing with them.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!