Thread: The Abyss

The Abyss

No matter if it's a tv show, comic or video game, I really do like continuity. This post is somewhat of a follow-up of some previous discussions and threads I've posted in. I'm not much of a writer, more a lurker, so I really want to make it a good one when I decide to contribute with an idea or thread.

I've been thinking about this project a lot for a long time. Starting it was a graduation gift to myself. I've been obsessing over the idea throughout writing my thesis, really looking forward to it. We had this discussion about what Castle Grayskull could look like and how it could be executed. I remember doing these little drawings of what I wanted it to be. Also, I figured that if you wanted something done the way you like it, you'd better do it yourself.

I began experimenting with materials, researching the look I was going for and making tons of sketches to try different ideas.

This is the first piece of my own Castle Grayskull. It's taken ages, but I'm quite happy with it. There are still some issues with the colours but I can fix that later. I've always felt that a castle playset should have a moat, or at least the jaw bridge up in the air. So to get an "abyss" the iconic bridge was a must. The arches are connected to the base with magnets and can be dismatled.

The base is plywood and the structure is made out of foam. The sculpting was done with the same kind of paper clay I used with the weapons rack. Cracks like crazy so you have to go back and resculpt a lot. But it's light weight and very durable.

If theres any interest I have a ton fo WIP pics. I guess theres always a lot of trial and error going on when sculpting isn't your fortÚ, but it's always fun to look at the disaster pictures afterward.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    congrats!
    it's an interesting idea, indeed, and you made an amazing job.

Wow, that's straight out of Filmation! Very good work indeed!! I'm impressed with the level of detail. Nice job!
    PORK CHOP SANDWICHES!!

Great transactions with these members!!

anzraider03 - Roboto
    gofigure - Gy-Gor

That's awesome. Nice work there.

Very cool!
    So when do we get to see more of the Castle hiding in the corner?

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    VERY AWESOME! Well executed!

The only thing I hope is that the Jaw bridge door is large enough to be realistic. I always thought it was funny that the toy castles only had like 7" doors. I always thought the bad guys could just jump across an abyss that was only a few feet wide.

I know that's not very practical, but it's always been something I've thought about the door...
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

That is amazing!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Beautiful work! The abyss has always been an integral part of Grayskull for me. (Except in those storybooks where Grayskull is out in the middle of a desert and you walk right up to it...) I'd even go so far as to say it's a character itself with the way it influences stories.

The sculpt is amazing. Good job! Love the arches!!!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Very great sculpting and engineering!
    Sweet!

Thanks for the feed back guys! I'll try to set up some more pics of the bridge and the rest of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Beautiful work! The abyss has always been an integral part of Grayskull for me. (Except in those storybooks where Grayskull is out in the middle of a desert and you walk right up to it...) I'd even go so far as to say it's a character itself with the way it influences stories.

The sculpt is amazing. Good job! Love the arches!!!
    Thank you! And I totally agree, the arches are iconic, the detail about the castle I remembered most vividly from when I was a kid. Really annoyed the old playset didn't resemble it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sdilks View Post
    VERY AWESOME! Well executed!

The only thing I hope is that the Jaw bridge door is large enough to be realistic. I always thought it was funny that the toy castles only had like 7" doors. I always thought the bad guys could just jump across an abyss that was only a few feet wide.

I know that's not very practical, but it's always been something I've thought about the door...
    That is one of the problems with building a castle grayskull, if the jawbridge is too big I would have to move out of my apartment. I've tried to make it look as big as possible using some tricks. The height of the door measures 22cm wen its closed, it's 22cm between the tounge and teeth when the door is open, but the actual doorway is only 19cm... just enough to fit a figure. I'll post pics of it later.

Quote Originally Posted by sephron13 View Post
    Wow, that's straight out of Filmation! Very good work indeed!! I'm impressed with the level of detail. Nice job!
    Thanks! But is there really another option? Filmation's the ultimate look! (...plus you dont have to worry about those tiny things like... symmetry, or sculpting smooth surfaces - which are both really hard :P )

Quote Originally Posted by SlyVenom View Post
    Very cool!
    So when do we get to see more of the Castle hiding in the corner?
    The castle isn't done yet... I spent most of my vacation working on it but I only finished the foam structure, no clay yet. I'm hesitant to post it yet, It would really bug me to post a WIP and not finish it. Then again it might give me the inspiration I need to continue with it, I'll think about it ;3

Wow Ferio, you rock - awesome piece, far out.
    C'mon show us some WIP pics from your castle, you'll finish it someday, for sure, you're pretty far already, you passed the point of no return long ago
    It's always good to show WIP's. It's the whole point of this forum section right?

I'm blown away, man. That is AWESOME.
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Court Magician

how heavy

How hevy is it? Look perfect for the classics.

Court Magician
    I want to see you make more.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Wow thats crazy awesome. I wish you could mass produce these, I would so buy one.

That is definately awesome! I'd buy one too
    Awesome sticker not included!Ö

WoW! Absolutely amazing! I think this looks great. I can asctually see the the rest of the bridge into Grayskull in my head. This is truely beautiful.
    A site for Customizers of all kinds...
    http://www.customfigurewars.com/

Um....wicked awesome? I think so!

Now stick some She-Ra love up on that bridge and take some photos!! NOW!!

Amazing sculpting skills! I wish I had at least 1/25th of your skills...
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

My pictures and albums

Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3