Thread: POP DVD Etherian Backgrounds made from scratch?

POP DVD Etherian Backgrounds made from scratch?

While I've lately been immersed in taking screengrabs for my 'Eternian Backgrounds' blogsite, I was going through old threads that discussed backgrounds and the art made and used on fantastic BCI DVD-releases.

One of the great images posted by BCI Guy was the partial Fright Zone image from the Spine.

But I also discovered something BCI Guy replied back to a fan here:

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Almost all of the backgrounds are in the hands of private collectors. The 2 biggest suppliers were Lee Clevenger and Greg (Annamot). Both of them made the trek to the BCI office multiple times with tons of backgrounds for me to scan. I was also sent files of a number of She-Ra backgrounds from Leah Pearson and Manny B (don't know his last name).

There were a couple key missing backgrounds that Emiliano recreated from scratch - totally nailing the look of the real ones all the way down to the textures.

Emiliano: This sounds very interesting. I am very interested in seeing these backgrounds, if you can show them?
    Also the artist-fanboy in me is interested in hearing any stories about the process in making these, tools used and everything. Like for instance, do you have a b&w pencil-version to give comparison to finished colour-results?

I hope one day these can be made available to us.

BCI no longer exists so it's up to the creators :/

Here they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Here they are!

Awesome stuff Emiliano!

But... I'm curious.

I do believe we have seen a pic of the Etherian moon-background. (maybe laserbackground)
    Was it not up-to-par to use for the DVD artworks (as it were)?

Did you reference these from any partial backgrounds? Or simply screen-captures?

For Fright Zone, I referenced screegrabs and the panini stickers (a scan of those is waht we used on the Best of She-Ra actaully)

We had a laser background for the moon.(basically a laser photocopy)
    But it was a bad one.
    here you can compare them, but also keep in mind that I had already used some filters on the one on the right, trying to make it look better, until I decided to just redo it from scratch.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those backgrounds, Emiliano. The backgrounds on She-Ra are my fave backgrounds ever in animation next to the backgrounds in Disney's Sleeping Beauty. I think you really nailed them. For the past two years, I've done pieces for Wonder Woman Day set in Etheria, and studying background shots for them has really given me a new appreciation of what masterpieces they were.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Emil, I have a new appreciation for the level of dedication you brought to the DVD sets To go through the trouble of recreating them, just because you love the property and want it to look it's best....that's...that's really WOW, you know?

A Bow Salute to you!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Emil, I have a new appreciation for the level of dedication you brought to the DVD sets To go through the trouble of recreating them, just because you love the property and want it to look it's best....that's...that's really WOW, you know?

A Bow Salute to you!
    well, he WAS hired by BCI to create them...

Emiliano also added all the snow to the huge cityscape on the inside of the Christmas Special.

We had the original background (from either Lee or Greg, I forget), but not the acetates with the snow. Emil did an amazing job recreating that scene.

--edit--

Also along the same lines, Baena painted 8 backgrounds for us to use in packaging New Adventures since We couldn't have done the sets properly without him as I think we only had 1 actual BG from the show.

Emiliano also added all the snow to the huge cityscape on the inside of the Christmas Special.

We had the original background (from either Lee or Greg, I forget), but not the acetates with the snow. Emil did an amazing job recreating that scene.

--edit--

Also along the same lines, Baena painted 8 backgrounds for us to use in packaging New Adventures since We couldn't have done the sets properly without him as I think we only had 1 actual BG from the show.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the snow!
    And I was going to mention Nate's BG for NA too, those were awesome!
    And now I remembered I did one for those too!
    I'll dig all this stuff up during the wee-end.

Oh yeah! I was thinking that was the one original we had, but you did it. We didn't have ANY original BGs.

And I was going to mention Nate's BG for NA too, those were awesome!
    I'll dig all this stuff up during the wee-end.

That would be great! Would love to see those!

Why was this actually?
    Were there no collector's that had NA background-cels?

well, he WAS hired by BCI to create them...
    Oh, LOL. Well, regardless...he did a good job so kudos to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Why was this actually?
    Were there no collector's that had NA background-cels?
    Not that we were ever aware of. We found someone that had a bunch of toy art (paintings, drawings and some photos), a few model sheets and a lot of sketches, but no cels or BGs at all.

Must be also because all that stuff was animated in Asia (Korea? I can't remember)
    I saw a few NA cels, but you don't see many around, so I guess backgrounds ae even more rare.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!

for some reason i couldn't find the snow cel for the Palace Pan in time so
    Emilianos added the Snow and David (BCI Guy) clean up the cel