Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU animation cels

My first two cels arrived today.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

The one of Man-At-Arms and Orko from "Orko's Missing Magic" is VERY nice!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    is that it only a hand full of cels ? come on people where are your great cels ?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't have that many He-man or She-ra cels, but I scanned my better cels for my Rubberslug Gallery

http://kett.rubberslug.com/gallery/m...?SeriesID=6395

Kett

Quote Originally Posted by mackettric View Post
    I don't have that many He-man or She-ra cels, but I scanned my better cels for my Rubberslug Gallery

http://kett.rubberslug.com/gallery/m...?SeriesID=6395

Kett
    wow you really have some nice stuff

Hi, all. Very long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Some very nice animation cels you folks have. Always cool and interesting to see what cels have survived and are out there.

I myself collect He-Man and She-Ra cels as well. You can see them (and cels from other toons) at my cel gallery:

http://sgbozman.rubberslug.com/

It's funny that James spoke of cels from deleted sequences because I have a couple of He-Man and She-Ra cels that appear to be from deleted sequences:

Funnily, I wasn't aware that the two cels were from deleted sequences when I bought them. I didn't realise they were from deleted sequences until I skimmed through their corresponding episodes after receiving the cels.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post

It's funny that James spoke of cels from deleted sequences because I have a couple of He-Man and She-Ra cels that appear to be from deleted sequences:

http://www.rubberslug.com/user/92961...he-man014s.jpg http://www.rubberslug.com/user/92961...she-ra002s.jpg

Funnily, I wasn't aware that the two cels were from deleted sequences when I bought them. I didn't realise they were from deleted sequences until I skimmed through their corresponding episodes after receiving the cels.

Maybe James can confirm these, if there is any mentioning in the scripts about sequences, that are not in final episode.
    With He-Man cel, the mark does make note of MU121 which is "Magic Falls", but that pose is not found in the episode. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    My first two cels arrived today.

- Joni -
    You mentioned in one video, that you were gonna get more. Will you show them as well?

I own most of the key scenes from "Sweet Bee's Home", but this was one of the cel setups that I missed - Glad to see it's gone to a good home!

http://www.rubberslug.com/user/92961...he-man014s.jpg http://www.rubberslug.com/user/92961...she-ra002s.jpg
    I'm pretty sure those are both from deleted sequences - VERY cool finds!

I just checked out your gallery - GREAT collection - Yeah, that Man-At-Arms clapping cel you have...deleted scene - And the cel of He-Man with both his arms to the side that you're unsure of, that's from "City Beneath the Sea"...

It's odd, because in the last two weeks I've managed to purchase two deleted sequences...both featuring He-Man...

Also, I should mention that sometimes a sequence is trimmed for time - I have a cel from "Sweet Bee's Home" that doesn't appear in the episode, even though the shot is in place - It appears that they decided it was one frame too many...and I have that frame!
    Last edited by Busta Toons; November 2, 2010 at 06:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    And the cel of He-Man with both his arms to the side that you're unsure of, that's from "City Beneath the Sea"
    Thanks for the heads-up regarding that cel.

Would you happen to know which episode this cel of Cringer comes from? Like the aeformentioned He-Man cel, there's no MU markings on the Cringer cel, and I don't recall seeing the cel anywhere in the series.
    Last edited by SGB; November 2, 2010 at 07:31am.

Would you happen to know which episode this cel of Cringer comes from? Like the aeformentioned He-Man cel, there's no MU markings on the Cringer cel, and I don't recall seeing the cel anywhere in the series.
    That is an interesting cel. The facial expression would make it seem like an easy find when it comes to Cringer.

For some reason, from the pose, I get the sense like it would be continued with a jumping animation....

I'm pretty good when it comes to identifying cels, but this one has me stumped...

The head is on a separate layer, right? - Regardless, without a production number this one is SO hard to place...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    You mentioned in one video, that you were gonna get more. Will you show them as well?
    Right now, I have two model sheet cels coming, and yes, I'm going to show them, when they arrive (same goes for any other cels I may acquire in the future).

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Join our community at:

* My MOTU memories

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    The head is on a separate layer, right?
    No, but the eyes are. That layer is slightly misaligned in the photo.
    Last edited by SGB; November 2, 2010 at 11:09am.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I'd like to get around to posting pics of my small cel collection, but the ones I see in here put mine to shame.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Guys your pieces are amazing! Congrats!

Those model sheet cels I mentioned yesterday, arrived a moment ago.

- Joni -

Join our community at:

* My MOTU memories

OMG Eurocoin those must be some of the rarest Filmation model sheets ever! In fact I'm surprised Bustatoons doesn't have em' ! Thank you so much for sharing them, that Starchild one will be very helpful for my, as of now on hold, fan-comic story!
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Can anyone recommend any reputable/reliable online stores where one can buy portfolios to store the cels in?

I need to get some portfolios to properly store my cels in.

Can anyone recommend any reputable/reliable online stores where one can buy portfolios to store the cels in?

i startes with a portfolio then went to matting to get some of them frammed then moved to Staples boxes
    Art stores sell them buy with Filmation cels being a little larger its a little hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    OMG Eurocoin those must be some of the rarest Filmation model sheets ever! In fact I'm surprised Bustatoons doesn't have em' !
    I don't know if those are the rarest. They seem like not all that well-received characters,
    so the demand for them might be low.

I'd feel the model-sheet of Teela Na or Kuduk Ungol would be more rare. (and wanted)

Would the scarseness of certain character model-sheet make it more rare than some other? rarity by demand and supplies? I dunno.

Do you have an inclin, James, as to what character model-sheets are among the rarest?

Heroic Warrior

Most anime cel collectors use Itoya Portfolios. You can get them thru Amazon.com or most art supply stores.

If you want to just use poly bags and boards (like comic books) Bagsunlimited.com has the best selection. Lobby card bags/boards are the right size, and they have archival foam board backings that work well for cels.

OMG Eurocoin those must be some of the rarest Filmation model sheets ever! In fact I'm surprised Bustatoons doesn't have em' ! Thank you so much for sharing them, that Starchild one will be very helpful for my, as of now on hold, fan-comic story!
    Keep in mind, not all model cels are one of a kind. They were used as reference during the production, so multiple copies were often painted. I have a model cel of Adora that I got from VE Galleries ages ago, and several other collectors have the same model cel.
    Last edited by mackettric; November 4, 2010 at 12:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OMG Eurocoin those must be some of the rarest Filmation model sheets ever! In fact I'm surprised Bustatoons doesn't have em' !
    Have no fear, I got me plenty of model sheets!

Back in the nineties model sheets were SO hard to come by - Now that are popping up more and more - And since they weren't one-offs, they're readily available...if you can find them...

If you want to just use poly bags and boards (like comic books) Bagsunlimited.com has the best selection. Lobby card bags/boards are the right size, and they have archival foam board backings that work well for cels.
    These are EXACTLY the items I buy from bagsunlimited - It costs a bit of money them in bulk (especially shipping to the UK), but once bagged they show off the cels beautifully - I purchased a box from Staples that I can store the lobby cards in...

Got me a cel with laserbackground.

From one of my favourite episodes "Teela's Quest" the monster Bakull with Teela. Shame that I didn't ask the buyer more details about this.

Came today and found out that it's from the batch by Sunday Funnies, who made laserbackgrounds with more than mere backgrounds in them. lol.

So the only cel I got, was of Bakull. And he looks great.
    But the Powersword and Teela are printed as part of the laserbackground, which definitely came as a suprise.

Most anime cel collectors use Itoya Portfolios. You can get them thru Amazon.com or most art supply stores.
    Itoya portfolios have been suggested to me in the past. I tried purchasing some from Amazon, but they won't ship Itoya portfolios to Australia.

Someone pointed me to another store where I can purchase Itoya portfolios, but the shipping costs were at rip-off prices so I didn't order the portfolios from them. I've looked for Itoya portfolios on other art stores, but they were either too expensive or shipping was killer on the wallet.
    Last edited by SGB; November 5, 2010 at 01:18am.

Currently my most beloved cel in collection.