Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 195

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread--October 2010

  1. #26
    Heroic King Of Zumba mk476's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,297
    So, I'm confused: They made sure they gained the rights to use Shadow Beasts in 200X, but never did it cross their minds that fans would love to see updated characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc.? They can't say, "Well we were getting to them but the show was cancelled" because the Horde characters introduced at the end of the series, and we never even saw Catra (a character they obviously had the rights to.) I give up on trying to figure this mess out...

  2. #27
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,029
    Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    So, I'm confused: They made sure they gained the rights to use Shadow Beasts in 200X, but never did it cross their minds that fans would love to see updated characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc.? They can't say, "Well we were getting to them but the show was cancelled" because the Horde characters introduced at the end of the series, and we never even saw Catra (a character they obviously had the rights to.) I give up on trying to figure this mess out...
    I think it's because (for some reason) the She-Ra Filmation cartoon rights are somehow way more of a headache than the He-Man Filmation cartoon rights.

    Shadow Beasts, Count Marzo, Evil Seed were all Filmation characters from the He-Man series that they brought back in MYP while rather than Shadow Weaver they had "Horde Wraiths"?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior Tundra_Torque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    Posts
    1,541
    Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    So, I'm confused: They made sure they gained the rights to use Shadow Beasts in 200X, but never did it cross their minds that fans would love to see updated characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc.? They can't say, "Well we were getting to them but the show was cancelled" because the Horde characters introduced at the end of the series, and we never even saw Catra (a character they obviously had the rights to.) I give up on trying to figure this mess out...
    I've been wondering about this same thing for a while now, too.

  4. #29
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    So, I'm confused: They made sure they gained the rights to use Shadow Beasts in 200X, but never did it cross their minds that fans would love to see updated characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc.? They can't say, "Well we were getting to them but the show was cancelled" because the Horde characters introduced at the end of the series, and we never even saw Catra (a character they obviously had the rights to.) I give up on trying to figure this mess out...
    When MYP came to an end they had just introduced the character of Hordak. The following season was supposed to be centered on the Horde. I'm guessing that at the time they didn't buy the rights because they didn't need them yet and then during the following season they'd have gotten the rights for whatever characters they wanted to use.

  5. #30
    waiting for Geldor Toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Valley of Osgoor
    Posts
    6,060
    Exactly this, in the old canon Catra and Shadow Weaver were actually from Etheria, so wouldn't have been in the Horde in The Power Of Grayskull. It's a shame that the cartoon ended when it did as I'm sure more updated Filmation characters would have appeared, and we'd be getting figures of them. I heard a rumour Shokoti was the next one they were trying to get rights to.
    Tweet Me!

    I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

  6. #31
    Stridor in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    5,610
    Bunch of new questions/answers are up. Many of them are answered with "We can't comment past King Hsss right now."

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,209
    So according to Toyguru, during the quest to recover the two halves of the power sword Prince Adam looked exactly like He-Man.

    His appearance didn't change at all after using the Sword of He to "transform".

    That's lame. I guess I was getting my hopes up thinking they might eventually do a younger looking Prince Adam in this line. Doesn't sound like there is any place for him in the storyline now.

  8. #33
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,778
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    So according to Toyguru, during the quest to recover the two halves of the power sword Prince Adam looked exactly like He-Man.

    His appearance didn't change at all after using the Sword of He to "transform".

    That's lame. I guess I was getting my hopes up thinking they might eventually do a younger looking Prince Adam in this line. Doesn't sound like there is any place for him in the storyline now.
    They did say that young Adam's bio wouldn't really have much new info in one of the WTFWTK.

    If anything, this answer points out the ridiculousness of Classic Adam and He-Man looking exactly alike and STILL remaining a secret.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,338
    Techno virus

    Techno vest

    Sounds, if some writer wants his favorite music incorporate in the bios

  10. #35
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,778
    Big NEWS on more MOTUC vs DC 2 packs on the front!!!

    EDIT: Actually, it isn't big news at all. Thanks to Sandman and Uncle Montork for setting me straight!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 4, 2010 at 11:48am.

  11. #36
    Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,971
    Nice lil piece about the Guards head sculpt, I wonder if TG will change his avatar to Spectors head!...That would be funny!


    Also nice news about Battle Lion, I fully expect BL to be the same head sculpt as Clawdeen which is fine by me cos 'he' deserves a great unique sculpt. (I just hope they retcon her to be a Him! Clawdeen is one character that I feel needs gender definition)



    ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

    http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

    [/CENTER]

  12. #37
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    MOTUC as an adult collector aimed MOTU line was originally my pitch to management (to which the Horsemen created the actual specific "look").



    ANYONE care to comment on the validity of this statement??

    Yes, maybe he pitched it to management.. but it wasn't HIS original idea.

    I'm sure management doesn't know that though.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  13. #38
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,778
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post



    ANYONE care to comment on the validity of this statement??

    Yes, maybe he pitched it to management.. but it wasn't HIS original idea.

    I'm sure management doesn't know that though.
    Here's what we know...

    Originally, TG's pitch was to bring back the 200X style, but Mattel didn't want to return to 200X, so he pitched the Classic line. The 4H just so happened to create a Classic He-Man prototype for SDCC 2007, and the stars aligned.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post

    Shadow Beasts, Count Marzo, Evil Seed were all Filmation characters from the He-Man series that they brought back in MYP while rather than Shadow Weaver they had "Horde Wraiths"?
    So this confirms to me that they dont have to purchase all the rights to Filmation characters. In the past they only purchased the ones they wanted to use again. So maybe the "logistics" have changed and they need to buy all or nothing? I dont know.

  15. #40
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    So this confirms to me that they dont have to purchase all the rights to Filmation characters. In the past they only purchased the ones they wanted to use again. So maybe the "logistics" have changed and they need to buy all or nothing? I dont know.
    It may be different because the rights have changed hands over the years. According to Wikipedia, in 2004 the rights were sold from Hallmark to Entertainment Rights and then from ER to Boomerang Media. Given the changes in ownership the options available to Mattel may have changed as well.

  16. #41
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    So this confirms to me that they dont have to purchase all the rights to Filmation characters. In the past they only purchased the ones they wanted to use again. So maybe the "logistics" have changed and they need to buy all or nothing? I dont know.
    From what little they have let on, when the 200X series was in production, Mattel went into negotiations with the then-holders of the Filmation rights. They then made a deal which allowed Mattel to use certain characters from the Filmation series in the MYP series, under certain restrictions (they couldn't use the same models, for one).

    That's why Count Marzo, Evilseed, Hawke and the Shadowbeasts are all in MYP.

    That "window of opportunity" is long since past.

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    When MYP came to an end they had just introduced the character of Hordak. The following season was supposed to be centered on the Horde. I'm guessing that at the time they didn't buy the rights because they didn't need them yet and then during the following season they'd have gotten the rights for whatever characters they wanted to use.
    I dont recall ever seeing Hordak in the MYP toons, at least not at the end of the series? I was looking at the series outlines on this site, but I dont see an introduction to Hordak and the Horde. Were they in the actual cartoon or just the comics? Which episodes are they in? Thanks in advance for your help!

  18. #43
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,949
    I don't know if this question has been answered. why are we not getting two style heads for Buzz Off?
    This figure really needs one. So he can be displayed either vintage or 200x. I thought a extra head would be good if you wanted an army of bee warriors.

  19. #44
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,778
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    I dont recall ever seeing Hordak in the MYP toons, at least not at the end of the series? I was looking at the series outlines on this site, but I dont see an introduction to Hordak and the Horde. Were they in the actual cartoon or just the comics? Which episodes are they in? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hordak appears many times, but the best appearance is The Power of Grayskull.






    His first appearance is in the Sorceress' flashback in Separation. He appears again in The Price of Deceit where in flashback, it's revealed that Evil-Lyn invokes him from Despondos to save Keldor from his mortal acid wounds. It is Hordak who names Keldor "Skeletor". His next appearance is The Power of Grayskull, again in flashback form, where the Sorceress reveals the story of Hordak's banishment to Adam. The last time he appears is in History where Evil-Lyn and Marzo try to bring him back to Eternia.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 4, 2010 at 09:31pm.

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior urbanmyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    Am I the only one who thinks the Horde rock guy there who dies right after appearing is pretty boring looking and shouldn't be high on the Classics-to-be-made list? Just sayin. Maybe if they turn him into something more like Rokkon and Stonedar I guess he might look a little cooler.

    And I've never really focused on screen captures of Hordak's big 3. . .I'm not a big fan of their MYP look but LOVE their stactions.

  21. #46
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    And I've never really focused on screen captures of Hordak's big 3. . .I'm not a big fan of their MYP look but LOVE their stactions.
    I don't know if it's just the screen grabs used, but the MYP pictures look worse than I remember. This isn't some Filmation bias of mine either since I feel the NA screen grabs look better as well. I'm almost tempted to try and watch an MYP MOTU episode again just to see what's up. A lot of the ones I've seen on this board either look like amateur animation or cutscenes from a 16-bit video game.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  22. #47
    Stridor in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    5,610
    Megagear,

    Who are the Horde guys in hoods?

  23. #48
    anime hyper style Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    327
    Roboto 200X head

    I'm afraid you won't see a 200X head for Roboto. It's the same design, just in a different 'style'. If you put the roboto character into the 'style generator' and turned the dial right to 200X - you'd get the hyper anime roboto look. If you turned the machine's dial to the left to 'classics' it would come out looking like the MOTUC Roboto. There will be no 200X heads.

    I hope that answers your questions Macx!
    Might have better luck with these answers if we start asking about 'modern' heads as opposed to 200x heads.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Megagear,

    Who are the Horde guys in hoods?
    They became known as Horde Wraiths, sorcerers of the Horde.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

  25. #50
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,778
    Loads of brand new questions are up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •