Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread--October 2010

Heroic Warrior
    Is the new spring 2011 weapons rack going to include some or all of the weapons pictured with it, or are they shown only for display reasons?

No. Some of the weapons will be in Man-E-Weapons red.
    So why this mix? Pardon me for being nitpicky, but $15 for a rack and a handful weapons is steep. A rack, a handful weapons plus another handful weapons in different colors however...
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

Panthor's Head?

Since we are often told of the limited funds Mattel is willing to put into the MOTUC line, why would money be spent on a new head for Panthor when it could have easily been a repainted Battle Cat's head? I could understand if there were drastic changes, but slight adjustments to "cheek fur" and the way the ears lay are quite subtle. When the differences are so minute, why even bother?

You really don't think Panthor deserved a new head? He's friggin Panthor man. Skeletor's mount. Gotta give him a new head.
    Of all the things to complain about, when a figure receives new tooling should not be one of them.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Of all the things to complain about, when a figure receives new tooling should not be one of them.
    When the "new tooling" doesn't look new, I feel it does.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Why does Panthor's head not look new exactly?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

It's too similar to Battle Cat's sculpt at first glance. You have to look for the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    It's too similar to Battle Cat's sculpt at first glance. You have to look for the differences.
    When people have to use a power point presentation to point out the differences between Battle Cat's head & Panthor's, the differences aren't as distinct as they should be on a new sculpt. This has nothing to do with someone liking Panthor's head or not. Imo, it was a waste of the tooling dollars(that are supposedly quite limited according to ToyGuru) when I feel the number of complaints & praise would have been the same if Battle Cat's head was just painted purple.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 22, 2010 at 02:50pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Oh so just because you have to look to see the differences, you feel it's a waste of time.

Yeah, I can't say I agree with that!
    www.eamonart.com

I can understand how when it's not super apparent at first glance, some folks are put off their feed.

Like I said in the show, I understand the complaints about it not being a literal panther's head.
    It may look a bit odd with that body they had to repurpose them, but I understand.

Not look, but dig. The main difference between the two is that Panthor's ears are folded down. Otherwise if you painted both of them purple, they'd be twins.

I don't really want him to look like a panther, the fur around the cheeks is fine. I just wish he looked like a different cat, bigger jaw, fangs, anything that would stand out and make him unique besides his color.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I have to go with the "make it noticeably different" crowd. I know what they were trying to do, make Panthor look like the box art, but I thought the box art didn't have it right back THEN, whereas Filmation did. Making subtle differences seems like a waste, when they could have gone all out and made a definite panther head.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Like I said in the show, I understand the complaints about it not being a literal panther's head.
    I would definitely have preferred Panthor to have a sleeker face in order to more resemble an Earth panther(before someone brings it up, I realize he isn't an Earth panther but that's like saying Ninjor isn't supposed to look like a ninja), but that's besides the point. Even if I loved the head, I don't understand making a new sculpt just so his ears are laying slightly differently & his "cheek fur" is just a "few shavings of plastic" different than Battle Cat's.

While Panthor's sculpt may only be 99% the same as Battle Cat's, this still feels like the Emperor's New Clothes to me.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Unless it takes valuable tooling dollars away from another figure. I'd prefer it if they'd spent the money on a 2nd head for Grizzlor, and kept Panthor accurate to his 80s sculpt - a straight repaint of Battle Cat.

This is the boxart right? I think he looks cool as a massive purple cat, instead of a panther. But the head could still be very different in many ways.

We held a poll earlier in the year about Panthor, and while we didn't explicity ask if he should have a panther head or a tiger head, we did use this graphic right next to the poll choices...

And when we asked if Panthor should have a new head or reuse Battle Cat's, the outcome was predictable - 90% of voters wanted a new head. Ironically, even though we got a new head, it doesn't really feel like it.

I'm okay with the final product, but I do think he could've been a lot cooler if they'd gone the other way.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; October 22, 2010 at 03:41pm.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    This is the boxart right? I think he looks cool as a massive purple cat, instead of a panther. But the head could still be very different in many ways.

http://i54.tinypic.com/se0i1d.jpg
    To be honest, my "hatred" for the new Panthor has died down and I currently have warmed up to him. He isn't a bad looking toy. Although, it would be hard for him to be since his sculpt is taken from Battle Cat, the best looking toy in this line imo. I just don't understand the money spent on the "new" head sculpt.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    It continues to amaze me that we have a great MOTU line and all that happens on a monthly bases is nitpicking. It's rare to see "that looks great!" or any other positive comment. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy my collection and leave the torches and pitchforks to the rest. I hope the constant nagging doesn't drive this line into the ground as there a lot of great characters to get to.
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Well, Crow, let's be fair. The internet has always been that way.
    Same goes for customer service hotlines, or restaurant feedback.

You should look at silence from other users as contentment or happiness.
    People often only speak out when they are not happy.

Do I think people should speak up with happy?
    Most definitely!
    But, it's not the norm.

It's a bit like what I said on the podcast. If you really want to have a better idea, put it to a site wide poll.
    And even then, the results aren't always guaranteed.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to do minor adjustments to an existing mold to save money?

I like the way Panthor looks. All I said was I wish he looked more different. I think that's the stance of most of the critics. Nobody thinks he looks bad.

I was expecting a repaint of Battle Cat and I thought that's what he was. Then people discovered the head was different and wondered why it was so subtle.

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    I think that instead of constant complaining that people should vote with their wallets. If you see reviews of a figure that you think sucks, then, by all means, don't buy it!. If you don't like a sculpt, don't buy it. We've been told countless times that when sculpts are released they cannot be changed. Yet, there are threads stating "change this, change that, sign the petition".

Then, there's the attacks on Toyguru. He's just the liason but some people want his head like he's the final decision maker.

You're going to have things you don't like about a line. You're going to have flaws on figures. Unfortunately, it happens. If you can, get an exchange, if you have a flaw. I have backwards shoulders, some minor sloppy paint apps, etc... (now, I'm not saying it's OK to have a cracked torso on your Roboto or 2 left feet on Marzo).

I know that collecting can be a pain, but we have a great line with MOTUC. The 4HM are doing a phenomenal job with this line. Sure, the upper management decisions on some things have sucked but we are still getting some fantastic figures. This is a line I've waited on for a long time. It's here and I'm going to enjoy it!
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

I would put good money on the head looking more different in hand side by side!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I think that instead of constant complaining that people should vote with their wallets. If you see reviews of a figure that you think sucks, then, by all means, don't buy it!.
    I agree! Vote with your wallet.

But without debate, without conversation and difference of opinion, forums would be boring!

As long as we are constructive and respectful, I don't see what's bad about complaints.
    People also have the option to ignore complaints and not respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I would put good money on the head looking more different in hand side by side!
    Yep, we haven't even seen the front of his face yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I think that instead of constant complaining that people should vote with their wallets. If you see reviews of a figure that you think sucks, then, by all means, don't buy it!. If you don't like a sculpt, don't buy it. We've been told countless times that when sculpts are released they cannot be changed. Yet, there are threads stating "change this, change that, sign the petition".

Then, there's the attacks on Toyguru. He's just the liason but some people want his head like he's the final decision maker.

You're going to have things you don't like about a line. You're going to have flaws on figures. Unfortunately, it happens. If you can, get an exchange, if you have a flaw. I have backwards shoulders, some minor sloppy paint apps, etc... (now, I'm not saying it's OK to have a cracked torso on your Roboto or 2 left feet on Marzo).

I know that collecting can be a pain, but we have a great line with MOTUC. The 4HM are doing a phenomenal job with this line. Sure, the upper management decisions on some things have sucked but we are still getting some fantastic figures. This is a line I've waited on for a long time. It's here and I'm going to enjoy it!
    My thoughts exactly!!
    This is supposed to be fun!!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!