Thread: The HUB(Formerly Discovery Kids) has 80's and 90's goodness

Hybrid View

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon

The HUB(Formerly Discovery Kids) has 80's and 90's goodness

The Hub Starts on 10-10-2010

I just looked at the schedule on my cable box and this channel has some exciting listings for shows.

On Everyday: -multiple air times for all
    Fraggle Rock
    Batman Beyond
    MIB the animated series

Tuesday -Saturday:
    Transformers original Gen 1 Tv Series-12:00am est
    G. I. Joe original series-12:30 am est

Monday - Friday:
    Batman the Adam West 60's series-multiple air times

Saturdays and Sundays:
    Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?(Fox-made original Cartoon, not game show)

These are just a few I saw listed and will get more info as the week progress, right now until sunday Discovery KIds will still run the regular shows and on Sunday they will change their name to the HUB(Hasbro Universal[Studios] Broadcasting). They also will broadcat new shows, mostly Hasbro properities.

Two I am really looking forward to are Transformers Prime and G.I. Joe Renegades.
    Last edited by griffen112182; October 12, 2010 at 02:12am.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

See My "Griffen Thailonis" Storyline, Bionicle, & Star Wars Models in the links below:

My LEGO Network Page
    LEGO Creator 2D Gallery
    LEGO Creator 3D Gallery
    LEGO Bionicle Gallery
    LEGO Star Wars Gallery

surprised to see batman cartoons on there. most of the old shows they're airing are ones i'd love to watch. i'm really excited about the new gi joe cartoon. not as psyched about transformers prime though. i just don't care for the style. i do like that they made cliffjumper a completely different looking character from bumblebee.

Master of New Adventures!
    Maragret Loesch is helming the ship at HUB. She was running Fox Kids Network back when Haim Saban brought her Power Rangers. She's a consummate and seasoned pro with a long history in children's entertainment. So rest assured HUB is in good hands and we'll be seeing strong programming from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Maragret Loesch is helming the ship at HUB. She was running Fox Kids Network back when Haim Saban brought her Power Rangers. She's a consummate and seasoned pro with a long history in children's entertainment. So rest assured HUB is in good hands and we'll be seeing strong programming from them.
    It's just sad that for most networks in 2011, the only real childrens programming they are buying is older programming we grew up with. Even on cable you only have Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network that are making new programming.

Great for us, but I long for the days when toys drove cartoons and there was a desire for kids to use their imagination (instead of the claim that cartoons were just toy driven commercials and kids learned nothing).

I told my wife just last week I think its hypocritical that the FCC and parents attacked cartoons and cereal so badly for us to end up with the whole E/I thing, but yet its A-OK to run penis enlargement, are your parents in debt, and make money by selling your gold commercials during kids programming
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I told my wife just last week I think its hypocritical that the FCC and parents attacked cartoons and cereal so badly for us to end up with the whole E/I thing, but yet its A-OK to run penis enlargement, are your parents in debt, and make money by selling your gold commercials during kids programming
    Quoted for truth. Worst part is that a couple of these E/I shows for kids have TOYLINES and other merchandise... Yet MotU, TF, and GI Joe were " 22 minute evil toy commercials with no redeeming qualities"...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    It's just sad that for most networks in 2011, the only real childrens programming they are buying is older programming we grew up with. Even on cable you only have Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network that are making new programming.

Great for us, but I long for the days when toys drove cartoons and there was a desire for kids to use their imagination (instead of the claim that cartoons were just toy driven commercials and kids learned nothing).

While you make excellent points, there is an inherent difference between the kinds of adult commercials you are talking about and creating television series geared only to sell toys to young and impressionable minds.

I was there in the 80s and it was a great time to be working in children's entertainment, btw, surrounded by geniuses like Haim Saban, Andy Heyward and Jean Chalopin, towering figures in children's entertainment who I was fortunate to be mentored by. And although it is true that many series came about because the series were originally based upon toylines, I will say overwhelmingly that while the toy manufacturers I and other writers worked with -- Mattel, Hasbro, Kenner, American Greetings and others -- recognized that a good series would sell toys, they also understood that kids would only lock into the series and buy the toys if the series was good. So there was very little pressure on us to 'push the line'. Indeed, as I've said in other posts, the Mattel executives I was fortunate to work with -- Kaaren Lee Brown and Deborah Galliani not only understood the creative process, but granted plenty of creative latitude. It was, then, a pleasant relationship, this relationship between writers and toy manufacturers. We writers were concerned about creating quality entertainment. Toy manufacturers were interested in selling toys. Serendipitously we found that by each of us serving our own purposes, independent of the other, that we would benefit each other -- i.e., we got to write great series, the series sold toys and the toy manufacturers funded our writing of more series. Of all the writers I've known in children's entertainment -- and I've known plenty -- I cannot think of a single one who just sold out and wrtoe for the bucks and to sell a toy line, without caring about the effect that his or her writing would have on children.

The truth is that much of the pressure to do 'thirty minute commercials' came from the animation studios themselves and from their desire to lock in a series. I well remember one day sitting in my office and an exec came in and told me that she wanted to me to create a series based on Capt'n Crunch. When I laughed, thinking she was joking, she put a box of the cereal on my desk and said she was serious. I remember walking into Andy Heyward's office and telling him, "This is where I draw the line." To his credit, Andy -- who was unquestionably the king of merchandise-driven entertainment at the time -- laughed and said, "I'm with you" and we dropped the development. But while that may (hopefully) be an amusing anecdote, the truth also is that such occurrences were few and far between. Mostly, in those days, when we developed a series based upon a toyline it was a quality line and not some sugar coated cereal.

The danger, I think, is when a concept is developed -- whether it's based on cereal or candy -- only for the blantant goal of pushing merchandise. There's something sleazy about it and when you work with children there's an inherent responsibility and obligation to create positive entertainment. I think it's a responsibility and obligation almost all of my fellow children's entertainment writers take very seriously.

If the shows of the 80s were a kind of 'golden age' of children's entertainment -- and I think they were -- it was largely due to a coming together of writers and toy manufacturers who (each for their own reasons) understood that a show would only work if it was quality entertainment.

Perhaps a bit immodestly, I'll say that I think now, two decades later, HUB's and other broadcasters' continuing broadcast of episodes we all wrote back then bears testament to the quality of those series...and to our steadfast determination to embrace our responsibility and obligation to children.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 6, 2010 at 03:48pm.

This is great!I actually get this channel on Direct TV.Thanks for the heads up griffen112182.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

I've got my DVR setup on about 4 those shows and I can't wait as its been bothering me to hurry up and get to 10-10 so I can watch some really great TV that meant something but what would be cool IF possible is to see some He-man and She-ra on their too but I know Mattel owns those but it would be a great thought though.

Thats exactly what I thought too and I am MORE excited about this network then when I first got dish and turned on toon and seen crap on that channel that I hated and didn't even like to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wow! This station is more Cartoon Network than the actual Cartoon Network!
    Last edited by vadersfist; October 9, 2010 at 05:03am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I love how they all start at the beginning too, hopefully many people with tune in and DVR to get it some nice ratings.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Found another cartoon heir airing on the HUB. On saturdays and sundays they will be airing "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?". The cartoon that was made for Fox network back in the mid to early 90's. To bad it isn't the game show, I loved that theme song.

Main plot of the cartoon is "The User"(a real kid) is playing the Carmen San Diego game and trying to stop her and her wacky henchmen. He had two agent at his disposal, a brother-sister team, Zack and Ivy. There was also the dis-embodied head that was known as "The Chief". It was cool and of course it is on those educational but still has a good story kind of shows.

Hope this helps any fans.
    Last edited by griffen112182; October 12, 2010 at 02:12am.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

See My "Griffen Thailonis" Storyline, Bionicle, & Star Wars Models in the links below:

My LEGO Network Page
    LEGO Creator 2D Gallery
    LEGO Creator 3D Gallery
    LEGO Bionicle Gallery
    LEGO Star Wars Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Found another cartoon heir airing on the HUB. On saturdays(maybe other days?) they will be airing "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?". The cartoon that was made for Fox network back in the mid to early 90's. To bad it isn't the game show, I loved that theme song.

Main plot of the cartoon is "The User"(a real kid) is playing the Carmen San Diego game and trying to stop her and her wacky henchmen. He had two agent at his disposal, a brother-sister team, Zack and Ivy. There was also the dis-embodied head that was known as "The Chief". It was cool and of course it is on those educational but still has a good story kind of shows.

Hope this helps any fans.
    Quick someone call Jon (TheShadow), he will love to hear this!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I watched it change from Discovery Kids to Hub at 10am this morning. Pretty cool. I watched the Hasbro Family Game Night gameshow and that wasnt bad at all. Really looking forward to Transformers, G.I.Joe, Family Ties, Wonder Years, etc....

This is quickly at the top of my favorite channels.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!