Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teela Vs Beast-man Diorama Sculpture.

Teela Vs Beast-man Diorama Sculpture.

Some of you here know my fondness of commissioning sculpts based on this wonderful universe and that hasn't changed Here's is my newest commission:

Teela vs Beastman.

It's being sculpted by Alex Lopez and is at 1:7 scale, meant to match the size and style of my He-Man vs Skeletor "Battle For Eternia" that I had commissioned last year. Anyways, still early but already taking shape, hope you guys like it. The costumes will be mostly Filmation influenced. I'll be posting frequent progress pics as they soon as they come.

Evil and eats everything Acolyte's Avatar
    Looks very good so far!! The picture is one of my favourite MotU-motives!! Iīm looking forward seeing new progress pics of the sculpt. Will the diorama be cast, as done with your other commissions??

i cannot talk about that kind of thing here, it's agaisnt the forum's rules. so no comment.

The second I saw it, I knew it would compliment the He-Man vs Skeletor sculpture very well as it will add to the whole "battle for eternia" theme that it started. This one has so much potential imo and I am so excited about it. It also makes me think of doing other similar dio with the rest of the major masters/villans

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    HELL YES! Mo, you're the man!

I just commented on your post over on statueforum. Cannot freakin' wait for this!

PM me details!

And if you're thinking other Dio's, please please please think about doing a Fisto vs. Jitsu dio. Preferrably a nice classic/200x mix. That would be the bomb!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Had a feeling you'd like this Steve Glad I haven't disappointed thus far. As for a Fisto vs. Jitsu plan, to be honest I am more insterested in the rest of the main characters.. something like Man-At-Arms vs Trapjaw or Statos vs Merman. But please do show me a reference and I'll seriously consider it.
    and yeah, ALL of these dios (assuming there will be more after this, and I hope there will be) are going to be a mix between filmation and 200x. Much like how the He-Man dio was designed. so no worries there

wow, canīt wait to see the final result

awsome choice of source material! i like how dynamic it is and its in the classics style! the statue is lookin great so far!
    Last edited by kelddorr; October 7, 2010 at 09:29pm. Reason: misspelled choice

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    hey now thats starting to look good

Thatnreally is coming out great
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, looking good. Cant wait to see this one finished!

very nice choice for a sculpture!!

Don't keep us waiting Mo!

We need an update! And by "We" I mean me!

Can't wait to see more of this!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    off to a good start. cool.

I am just as eager for an update as you are steve, and I am hoping to get some pretty soon. I'll be sure to post them here as soon as I get them

A big fan of Slush Head
    Wow this one is gonna be awesome! I can't wait for an update!
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Updates are finally here

I am more than happy with Beastman's face, but I am not sure how I feel about Teelas? Any suggestions on what we can do to make her face look more accurate to the classic cartoon?

Quote Originally Posted by GoOd_RaInBoW View Post
    I am more than happy with Beastman's face, but I am not sure how I feel about Teelas? Any suggestions on what we can do to make her face look more accurate to the classic cartoon?
    First thing, this thing is incredible so far! Beastman rocks and the whole thing together looks to be a homage to Frazetta's work.

Next thing, this is a tough one as the sculpture is heavily stylized and incomplete. Another thing to remember here is that the focus of the whole thing centers more on her derriere a la Frazetta style, so the face won't be the main draw. If you want him to stick to the drawn representation or a closer approximation of the character, he's going to have to tone down the cartoonish proportions of the face as it is now.

- Overall, the sculptor has opted to place proportionately larger eyes on both subjects than the original illustration here. The first step should be reducing the size of the eyes if possible.

- She's missing lower eyelids. They tend to get pushed up a tad when grimacing, screaming or otherwise using an extreme expression with the mouth open.

- Her eyebrows are slanting downward too sharply as compared to the original depiction. Notice that in the drawing, they aren't going straight down like a vulcan but have more of a reversed "S" shape to them. In this case they should be indicating an expression somewhere between annoyance and fear. Right now her eyes are angry but her mouth is in scream mode. One or the other needs to be adjusted. If you ask me, I'd go for the more vulnerable Frazetta style female expression of horror rather than the Teela-who-thinks-she's-got-everything-under-control-and-this-will-just-take-a-minute look.

- Her arms are little too muscular for my tastes, but then again that's me.

- Her cheekbones are jutting out abit due to having to frame the large cartoony features. The lines on her face ought to be more rounded and softer. Again, toning it down would go along way here.

I love this guy's work though! I'm just always looking for that unattainable perfect vision for these characters. I have no doubt that you'll get another masterpiece with him!
    Last edited by Inhibitor; November 3, 2010 at 11:35pm.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Inhibitor, I thank you for taking the time to write a long and benificial post regarding this dio. You're suggestions resonnate extremely well with me and I'll ask the sculptor to view your post and take notes once he has the time. And don't worry, Teels's derriere will get all the attention by the time she's done

I definitely agree with most of Inhibitors observations!

I will agree with you Mo about BM's face being awesome, but Teela's is off. Too Cartoony.

I actually think Teela's upper lip goes a long way in making it look too cartoonish. That coupled with the cheekbones AND CHIN sticking out a bit too far, and there you go. If those things were changed, I think it would fix the cartoon problem. The expression is a different story.

I like Inhibitors take on the eyes. I think it would be better with a slightly more fearful or surprise look, rather than the "Teela-who-thinks-she's-got-everything-under-control-and-this-will-just-take-a-minute look". (Well put, BTW!)

That being said; Damn Mo! I can't WAIT for this thing to be finished! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Inhibitor, I thank you for taking the time to write a long and benificial post regarding this dio. You're suggestions resonnate extremely well with me and I'll ask the sculptor to view your post and take notes once he has the time. And don't worry, Teels's derriere will get all the attention by the time she's done
    I have no doubt about that!

Another comment I'd like to add: I'm really digging the Beastman HS. His style, though different from the graphic artist here has a more unique and fun aspect to it. He's kind of like a 3D version of J. Scott Campbell. If he changes her HS too much, it might look a bit strange with Beastman the way he is. Maybe once her hair is completed it will balance out the proportions on the face. This guy is a real pro and sometimes these early WIPs won't do the final product justice, especially as her hair and tiara/helmet thingy hasn't been added yet. If that were the final take on the face, those would be the changes I'd like to see.

So to sum up, much respect to the sculptor. I don't want to cramp his style.

BTW:
    I really abused the word "thing" in my previous post. I guess I should read it to myself before it goes out next time...

I actually think Teela's upper lip goes a long way in making it look too cartoonish.
    Agreed. The lips could be fuller, softer and less angular.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; November 4, 2010 at 09:36am.

I would say an easy change would be the mouth and itīs articulation or better said the words they using.

on the drawing it looks to me as if Teela would say: What? like in: What the hell is going on...
    In the sculpt she is definitley screaming maybe for help or out of anger.
    I would say less cheeks and chin could help...

The same goes for Beastman, he looks more as a Vampire or werewolf attacking his pray in the drawings he is more baring his teeth to intmidate poor Orko...

BUT itīs so impressive so far all ready it only can get better. Great work!!!

Here's a Filmation photo reference for Teela I put together.

In all cases, here cheekbones are rounded and supple with another curve to indicate her cheeks just below it. It's never a straight line to the chin. Besides the second one down to the left, they're all good examples of how she lets down her tough girl persona and actually expresses another kind of emotion. So I present to you, raised eyebrows on Teela!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Inhibitor; November 4, 2010 at 01:55pm.

Hi all. Here are some updates of this dio that I've been meaning to post here for a while. I am told that the next update should be a lot more advanced with modifications done especially to Teela's rear end (will be made bigger and sexier

In this update you can see that Teela's face has been changed a bit and that her pose in general is more accurate to the source marterial. Also Beastman's main muscles tones have been blocked in and ironed out for the most part.

Hope you enjoy this. C&C are welcome.

Hi all. Here are some updates of this dio that I've been meaning to post here for a while. I am told that the next update should be a lot more advanced with modifications done especially to Teela's rear end (will be made bigger and sexier

In this update you can see that Teela's face has been changed a bit and that her pose in general is more accurate to the source marterial. Also Beastman's main muscles tones have been blocked in and ironed out for the most part.

Hope you enjoy this. C&C are welcome.
    Teela is looking sooooooo much better. Expression is dead on damsel in distress. Can't wait to see how her hair looks and for more texture on Beastman. It's gonna be awesome!

Heroic Warrior
    It looks like a very stunning piece. Will it come painted?