Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teela Vs Beast-man Diorama Sculpture.

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    Keep it coming Homie! Can't wait!!!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Heroic Warrior
    This is an amazing piece. I like the pics of her w/o arms, because it looks lik Beatman vs. the Venus de Milo.

Final and Full reveal soon

Final and Full reveal came sooner than expected. Let me know what you think:

Words cannot express how pleased I am with this dio It actually turned out much better than I hoped for. A HUGE Thank You goes to the talented Alex Lopez for making this dio and making this MOTU fan a veeery happy one.
    Last edited by GoOd_RaInBoW; January 16, 2012 at 03:25am.

This Teela have the best ass.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Ya a lot attention was paid to that, it was the main area we wanted to nail (no pun intended)

This is really really fantastic.

Wouldn't mind getting one for myself.

is very fantastic! yuu're great!
    per il potere di grayskull! a me il potere!

And Orko?!? Can't wait to see this painted up. Well worth the wait and then some!!!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

love it. my only problem with it is based on the drawing it's from and that's teela's shorts design. i prefer the bikini cut or a skirt to short shorts. but it;'s done great
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    This is really really fantastic.

Wouldn't mind getting one for myself.
    Thank you for the support. You can shoot me a pm anytime

Quote Originally Posted by franconan View Post
    is very fantastic! yuu're great!
    Thanks for thinking it's fanstastic but no Im not the aritist behind the sculpt.. I just commissioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    And Orko?!? Can't wait to see this painted up. Well worth the wait and then some!!!
    Yeah Orko wasn't in the plans but the sculptor surprised me with it and Im glad he did. It sure took a while to get there but you can never rush art and Im glad that you think it was worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    love it. my only problem with it is based on the drawing it's from and that's teela's shorts design. i prefer the bikini cut or a skirt to short shorts. but it;'s done great
    You know, soon as I read your comment I e-mailed my producer about making the modification to shorts. The sculpt is already molded so if it happens it'll be a variant butt, lol.

Oh btw, first casting pics coming up.

The casting pics are here

more pics and details on my blog.

I am Very pleased with the quality of the casting and I hope you guys like it too. Another dear-to-heart MOTU project in the bag and more to come in the near future. Oh all the commissions I've done, MOTU stuff is what I always enjoy and love more than anything.

Thanks for looking.

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    It looks amazing Mo!

Congrats man!

PM sent!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Hey guys, I am glad to share the first painted pic of this kit (thanks to Stephan for sending it to me). Hope you guys like it

Looks amazing! Great work!
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Heroic Podcaster
    The sculpt is truly beautiful but I remain disappointed in the source material (I've seen it before). While well-drawn, it's depiction of Teela as an all-breasts-and-booty damsel-in-distress is so far away from her true character. She looks so helpless and her *assets* are so obviously emphasized that its actually quite a bit insulting.

Artwork of her actually fighting Beast Man instead of being scooped up and carried away like a frightened child would have been awesome.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

I get what you're saying but that's taking teela's character a bit too seriously in my own opinion. Especially if you consider that emphasizing the assets are insulting I actually emphasized to the sculptor to emphasize them.

Thanks for the flattering comments on the sculpt, I'll make sure the sculptor checks these comments out. He truly deserves the praise for the quality and love he gave this sculpt. Man out of all the commissions I do, MOTU are Always my most favorite. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    The sculpt is truly beautiful but I remain disappointed in the source material (I've seen it before). While well-drawn, it's depiction of Teela as an all-breasts-and-booty damsel-in-distress is so far away from her true character. She looks so helpless and her *assets* are so obviously emphasized that its actually quite a bit insulting.

Artwork of her actually fighting Beast Man instead of being scooped up and carried away like a frightened child would have been awesome.
    The whole composition of this amazing AMAZING piece is a homage to the great Frank Frazetta. He always portrayed his women with big curves in case you were wondering. I'm afraid you've used up all your remaining newbie points on that one!

frank_frazetta_themucker.jpg

Teela has a bit more clothing than the standard Frazetta damsel in distress. Her expression is closer to annoyed than frightened, in keeping with her character.

As for the minor quibbles in preference, it does appear Beastman's head has been altered quite abit since last time I saw it and his head ridges sort of got lost in all the fur texture at first glance. Teela has the perfect expression, but her eyebrows appear just a little thicker and her irises a bit too small. To be honest, a bigger resolution might be the key here.

I've been impressed since day one and now that it's all painted, I really love it! Teela in particular has some marvelous detailing and coloring on her metallic pieces! Given the more adult theme of this work, the choice of giving her a backless look fits very well. I'm absolutely loving the rich color and shading on every part of it! The boots have a perfect leathery look, the extra care in Beastman's claws and feet are eye popping and Orko anchors the whole piece down with that expertly painted hat and robe. And just in case it's not clear, this sculpture has got to be the most creative, fun, and detailed MOTU item I've ever seen. This guy has done other stuff for MOTU and I think he's at the top of his class no doubt! Thank goodness the paint kept up the pace and brought all those details forward.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    The whole composition of this amazing AMAZING piece is a homage to the great Frank Frazetta. He always portrayed his women with big curves in case you were wondering. I'm afraid you've used up all your remaining newbie points on that one!
    No need to be insulting with the newbie comment. We're all friends here.

I'm familiar with Frazetta's work. While this may be an homage to his work (and I find that connection dubious at best as Frazetta was known for a heck of lot more than big breasts and booties), it is not a style that conveys her accurately, in my opinion. Do I appreciate the curves and Rubenesque shape of Frazetta's fantasy starlets? You bet. I even liked how the vintage Teela figure had big, realistic hips - my wife appreciates that as well. My complaints here are not so much that her assets have been emphazied by being enlarged (the OP admitted as much, his choice, he paid, no worries) but that the original artist (remember, my problem is with the art, NOT the gorgeous sculpt) places her in a way that, from the front, she's all booty, and from Beast Man's back, she's all breast. Appreciating her curves is one thing (I'm as guilty as anyone) but to so blatantly cheesecake her like this is, to me, insulting. It's so common and expected and 100% the opposite of her established 30-year-old character.

Which leads to, again, my main problem - the original artwork turns this tough warrior into a "Help! Rescue me, please!" pin-up. I would have much preferred artwork (and maybe a commissioned sculture) of her doing battle with Beast Man.

No offense meant to the OP - he is obviously as entitled to his preferences as I am. I applaud him for turning MOTU artwork into a sculpture that would not have previously existed and, again, I am in awe of the sculptor's obvious talent. Also, thank you to the OP for taking the time to post all the pics - it was really cool to see the work in progress!
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

No need to be insulting with the newbie comment. We're all friends here.
    I'm teasing of course.

I'm familiar with Frazetta's work. While this may be an homage to his work (and I find that connection dubious at best as Frazetta was known for a heck of lot more than big breasts and booties),
    Dubious? Did you look at the Mucker pic I posted? The composition is directly inspired by it! You can't be that familiar with his work. Not when it came to fantasy-themed females. Find me one fantasy illustration of Frazetta's that doesn't employ the full hips and backside. It's okay to say you're not a fan of Frazetta or any Frazetta-styled depiction of women, but that style undeniable informs the choices made here.

it is not a style that conveys her accurately, in my opinion. Do I appreciate the curves and Rubenesque shape of Frazetta's fantasy starlets? You bet. I even liked how the vintage Teela figure had big, realistic hips - my wife appreciates that as well. My complaints here are not so much that her assets have been emphazied by being enlarged (the OP admitted as much, his choice, he paid, no worries) but that the original artist (remember, my problem is with the art, NOT the gorgeous sculpt) places her in a way that, from the front, she's all booty, and from Beast Man's back, she's all breast. Appreciating her curves is one thing (I'm as guilty as anyone) but to so blatantly cheesecake her like this is, to me, insulting.
    The sculpture doesn't depart that much from the drawing as far as her anatomy is concerned, and I got news for you... MOTU is pure, unadulterated cheesecake! Same goes for Frazetta.

FrankFrazetta-The-Moon-Maid-and-the-Centaur-DateUnknown.jpg

FRAZETTA_img_11.jpg

frank_frazetta_luana.jpg

Flashman_On_Charge_Frank_Frazetta.jpg

Take particular note of how the backside is emphasized as the female has her body turned away from the viewer.

There's also the inevitable "objectification" criticisms that comes with this particular style. I understand why people get offended by how females look, really I do. However, as is typical with most of these discussions, they ignore how objectified the men are. Clearly, Beastman is more of a caricature than Teela is here and yet she's the one you're upset about.

Which leads to, again, my main problem - the original artwork turns this tough warrior into a "Help! Rescue me, please!" pin-up. I would have much preferred artwork (and maybe a commissioned sculture) of her doing battle with Beast Man.
    Barring Teela using a long range or otherwise magic weapon, I find it another category of fantasy altogether to think any kind of melee combat between a female of average size and strength and a superhumanly strong Beastman would be any kind of contest. That's what He-Man is for.

It's so common and expected and 100% the opposite of her established 30-year-old character.
    Teela is a very interesting character as she was presented in Filmation (and simlarly in 2002). She does tap into to the warrior/amazon archetype with a dash of modern empowered woman feminism. While you're wishing her character was taken more seriously, you're also missing what I feel is the real charm of this piece. It's a perfectly tongue-in-cheek counter to the other side of that persona, namely the capacity to be an overbearing pain in the ass. It's more a comment on that as(s?)pect of her character than a total summation of it.

With myth-making there's always an achilles heel. Men and women are all prone to it. Our society is so accustomed to debunking male power that we really don't think anything of it. Afterall, it's good to dispel harmful attitudes and get real. When it comes to breaking down female myths though, well good luck! These works (picture and sculpture) are all the more unique for playfully taking Teela down a few notches.

If we have to disagree, let it be about that. This sculpture should only be handled with a good sense of myth... and humor.

I applaud him for turning MOTU artwork into a sculpture that would not have previously existed and, again, I am in awe of the sculptor's obvious talent. Also, thank you to the OP for taking the time to post all the pics - it was really cool to see the work in progress!
    That we can agree on
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Inhibitor; January 3, 2013 at 10:46pm.

Heroic Podcaster
    Once again, with the assuming what I know. Let's disagree politely without making assumptions.

Frazetta does more than just T&A - how about the lush landscapes, the flora and fauna, the richly colorful environments, the way his work always seems like a chapter in a larger story? I just don't consider this much of a specific homage to his work when it shares only T&A (an artistic mainstay since way before Frazetta, as we all know) and a vague "it's both fantasy based" generality. That can be said about a million things.

Is the work fun? Sure, matter of opinion, but I'm willing to compromise on that. I still just don't see he point of taking a strong female warrior type and depicting her as yet another powerless, helpless victim. And to say the work plays on her tendency to be overbearing as a character is a real reach. She deserves to be put in her place, right? :P

I also chuckled when you suggested Teela needed He-Man to fight Beast-Man. I'm not sure if I was laughing at the idea of getting into a discussion about which fictional character would defeat which fictional character (Teela could handle Beast Man because he's an idiot, btw ) or wondering if you think Teela needs He-Man to open the pickle jars and pay all the bills as well.

I'm well aware that objectifying men is just as bad, though there are no human men in this artwork. I'd be unhappy if it was He-Man slung over Beast-Man's shoulder as well, because, like Teela, it goes so against his well-established character. The fact that she's female adds to the problem here, it is not the MAIN problem.

The pic is cheesy T&A, not without skill of course, but certainly not deep by any means. It's just a silly King Kong/Fay Wray knock-off. Consider that Teela is depicted completely against character while Beast Man and even Orko are both portrayed in standard, generaliy accepted poses and expressions. Teela is singled out for just such obvious reasons. The more I look at it, I'm not so much offended as just bored.

You like it, I don't. The world continues to turn.

Gorgeous! How much is it?

Once again, with the assuming what I know. Let's disagree politely without making assumptions.
    Okay then. Just not sure we're talking about the same Frazetta!

Frazetta does more than just T&A - how about the lush landscapes, the flora and fauna, the richly colorful environments, the way his work always seems like a chapter in a larger story? I just don't consider this much of a specific homage to his work when it shares only T&A (an artistic mainstay since way before Frazetta, as we all know) and a vague "it's both fantasy based" generality. That can be said about a million things.
    If the discussion were about anything other than Teela's body, positioning and character, I might see landscapes as being relevant. Truth be told, that's Frazetta's inimitable style. While he has done landscapes, it's not what he's well known and admired for.

Is the work fun? Sure, matter of opinion, but I'm willing to compromise on that. I still just don't see he point of taking a strong female warrior type and depicting her as yet another powerless, helpless victim. And to say the work plays on her tendency to be overbearing as a character is a real reach. She deserves to be put in her place, right? :P
    Part of the humor intrinsic to the piece. It's somewhat bawdy humor, but it's there. I'm really surprised you feel it's insulting. Teela was overbearing by design. She was pretty dismissive with Adam especially for someone who wasn't a royal family member in both series. She served an important function in this regard because it gave Adam something added tension as a result of his secret identity. Like Lois Lane to Clark Kent, she simply provided another illustration of the main hero's patience and humility. Then again there's a double standard because I'm pretty sure Bow never talked down to Adora.

There was at least one instance when she allowed herself to be carried. It wasn't by Prince Adam.

[

I also chuckled when you suggested Teela needed He-Man to fight Beast-Man. I'm not sure if I was laughing at the idea of getting into a discussion about which fictional character would defeat which fictional character (Teela could handle Beast Man because he's an idiot, btw )
    She certainly does need help! Generally speaking, She-Ra could take on Beastman in hand to hand combat, not Teela. In order to depict Beastman being tricked into defeat by Teela, you're simply set up for another humorous take. Beastman has real strengths and weaknesses on paper and falling all over ourselves just to allow Teela to bypass hers wouldn't resonate either. Teela could take Beastman out with superior technology, but that makes for a considerably less striking scene imo. She is just not a physical match for Beastman and any attempt to force them into a one shot visual together isn't going to make for a serious assessment of either's abilities. Teela doesn't bring that kind of power up front. Your insistence that she fundamentally can't be in a compromising position is unfounded. Perhaps you object to the voyeurism?

wondering if you think Teela needs He-Man to open the pickle jars and pay all the bills as well.
    I thought you were out of newbie points!

I'm well aware that objectifying men is just as bad, though there are no human men in this artwork. I'd be unhappy if it was He-Man slung over Beast-Man's shoulder as well, because, like Teela, it goes so against his well-established character. The fact that she's female adds to the problem here, it is not the MAIN problem.
    Beastman is a humanoid male and quite within the range of exaggerated male anatomy standard in MOTU. I'm going to go out on a limb and say objectification is intrinsic to most fantasy-based imagery. Where would it be without hyper-distorted versions of ourselves? More importantly, would it be so popular?

...And it would take alot more to carry off He-Man than it would Teela. By any standard.

The pic is cheesy T&A, not without skill of course, but certainly not deep by any means. It's just a silly King Kong/Fay Wray knock-off.
    It's not deep but that particular body positioning is specific to Frazetta. All King Kong had to do was hold her in his hand. Guess I'm not sure why all the tap dancing around Frazetta's influence here. I'm curious so I have to ask.

Consider that Teela is depicted completely against character while Beast Man and even Orko are both portrayed in standard, generaliy accepted poses and expressions. Teela is singled out for just such obvious reasons. The more I look at it, I'm not so much offended as just bored.
    How is it out of character to be captured by Beastman? Or to be in a compromised position? She could be cussing him out for all we know. She does look angry afterall! But given a scenario where Beastman catches her off guard or uses his whip to disarm her, she's going to need help. Man at Arms would need help for that matter. Good thing Orko's there.

You like it, I don't. The world continues to turn.
    That it does. Good discussion though.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; January 4, 2013 at 02:16am.

Thank you both for this wonderful and entertaining discussion. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I admire the level of knowledge and opinion on this matter. Its a reminder on how MOTU are the best. Hats off to you guys.