Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 020 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 020 Discussion!

Episode 020 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

***We had some recording difficulties this episode. We apologize for any distortion in the audio and for how Val's audio track is at times louder than the rest of the hosts.***

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Emiliano Santalucia and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First we make a few announcements, including the Fan Get-Together at Cedar Point on Saturday, October 16th,
    and the He-Man.org fundraiser.

Following that, we discuss the artwork on the new MOTUC vs DCUC 2-packs!

Then, we dive into fan voicemail and e-mail!

After that, we discuss another MOTUC bios. This time, Optikk.

A few "highlights" of the show:
    • Eamon loves eBay!
    • Dan vs geek philosophy!
    • Emiliano's hots for Teela!

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 020

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I'll chime in with my first two points right now. (Family just came home and it's dinner time. Interestingly enough, I put it on pause and I'm in the exact middle of the program at 46 minutes on either end.)

1. I've received an Emiliano sketch. At Comic Con 2004, he drew Skeletor for me. I was in line with Lord Fallen Eldor; Enza drew Orko for me; Nate drew She-Ra, and Val... Val was wearing a Cobra Commander mask and swinging a sword around. It was great!

2. As a professional artist, who's worked in production the last three years, I was a little surprised at the art on the latest 2 packs. The one thing I do know is that quite often, money is allocated and has to be used for things, so maybe they can't accept free aid. Yeah, the DC characters were closer to model, and the MOTU characters weren't as much. (BTW Hawkman's wings are the wrong color too, and Aquaman's collar is off for said figure.) Yeah, it's possible the artist didn't see the right designs... HOWEVER, working in animation, I had to provide storyboard artists with model designs, for every piece of the production, be it characters or props--even if they didn't have to draw exactly to model (as our show was 3D). But besides all of that... the coloring looked like it was done very quickly. With all due respect, when I saw it, I thought, 'Did they have 20 minutes to do this?'

3. Val, great coloring on Superman Batman 75. I had no idea that was you! I love the nebula and of course the lighting and energy. I'm a total sucker for it.

I'll get back on my soap box later... Cheers!
    Last edited by Jon-O; October 7, 2010 at 10:11pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Another great episode guys!

A couple of my thoughts:

The art for the 2 packs isn't doing it for me either. I'm not an artist, but it just reminds me of art we would've seen in a Filmation cartoon in the late 60's or early 70's. It just doesn't fit for what they are trying to do with these two packs, which is to not only reacquaint the toyline with consumers through nostalgia, but also to introduce the property to a whole new generation.

As far as Optikk's bio goes, I detest the idea of Skeletor triumphant over Hordak. To me, Hordak was always the ultimate big bad, and while I don't see him as necessarily all powerful, to me it would take a hell of a lot to take him down. More than just Skeletor alone. It would've made more sense to me that frustrated by his inability to defeat his enemies, Skeletor decides to go to the outer reaches of the galaxy to recruit warriors to bring back to help him win the battle with the Masters and the Horde. As He-Man followed him, they both get entangled in the struggle for Primus between the Galactic Defe-...er...Protectors, and the Space Mutants. Convincing both sides of the threat that the Horde poses to everyone in the universe, The Protectors and the Mutants join up with their respective sides to help stop the Horde.

Great show guys and just wanted to say
    I would deffinatly have a drink with Teela given a chance.

Great show as usual. Here is the link for that Ian Richter interview.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=richter

52. Is there any truth in the rumor that Queen Marlena was to have been revealed as half-Gar (the blue-skinned race, we were told)?

IR: This was an idea Gary and I cooked up. We never found a way in the first 39 to work it in, but may have explored it had we continued.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

As a kid, I loved Teela, even though she annoyed the **** out of me. She absolutely had a lot riding on her shoulders, so it wasn't surprising she'd snap at everyone. When I was little, and would envision their future adventures: Adam would be married to Teela, and he and Bow would go off for a guys weekend because he just needed to get away from her every little while. Adora would come in and ask, "Where's my husband?" Teela would say, "Beats me! Adam and he ran off somewhere again!" Adora would roll her eyes and think, I'm not surprised.

With the bios, I love how they're telling us more about what happened after. I wondered too if this negates the NA story, or perhaps just takes place after. Maybe Skeletor joined then overthrew Flogg, and then returned with Opptik. And I think it's genius that Skeletor defeats Hordak. In my opinion, he got royally $cr3w3d over by him. 20 years of anger and festering must have boiled over and then boom--he let him have it.

500 years does seem a little small, especially as Grayskull was always such a mysterious place, unless the Great Wars destroyed so much of civilization that people forgot what happened, because everyone who knew were killed. Most born post devastation wouldn't have had much of a clue save for rumored beliefs.

I like Eamon's idea about the Big Bang device in Grayskull. Even if not a machine per se, that spark or seed of reality hidden deep in the depths of the center of the planet, at the center of the universe, being down there seems pretty cool. The castle was always a battle ground, at the border between light and dark, and yeah... gain control, and you can reshape reality to your image.

As for the twins being special because their mother was from Earth, I never felt that to be the case. I saw it more as the universe saying, "You were fated to be born. Look at the factors that contributed to it happening. No doubt, you have something big to do one day." If anything, I'd say the people of Eternia might have seen the twins as something significant when they were born...
    Last edited by Jon-O; October 8, 2010 at 02:27am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    3. Val, great coloring on Superman Batman 75. I had no idea that was you! I love the nebula and of course the lighting and energy. I'm a total sucker for it.
    Thanks!
    A lot of people didn't know I did it.
    Here's a link to it on my DeviantArt account.

Listening now...

Eamon, rant on, my friend! That 2pack art is SOOO bad!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Listen too and true words about the art Eamon, true words.
    Great idea about Castle Grayskull being the big bang device, but for me that would be too much.
    Still much better than a Castle build by a giant just 500years before.
    I always thought it was build 10.000 years before He-Man, by an ancient race around the skull of a gigantic creature that was sunk into the ground .
    Maybe its the spirit of this creature that provides the Power for the Castle.
    Last edited by JimPansen; October 8, 2010 at 09:34am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Love Eamon's "mini-rant"! Honestly, I don't know what's so hard about getting a fan artist who is good and reliable enough to draw MOTUC artwork. Capcom hired the UDON boys. Hasbro got Guido Guidi, Marcelo Matere and Don Figeroa. Heck, MU has Frank Cho and Mike Deodato Jr.. Even DC Universe has good artists (at least the guy who did the 75th anniversary artwork). It's got to be a money thing, since this seems to be a no-brainer. And even that's no excuse as most of MOTU's fan artists would draw stuff for free!

I'm an uber Blonde Bikini Teela fan! She's my number one figure I'd love to see made. Thanks for the shout out, guys!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Established proffesional artists who happen to be fans is the way I would prefer to put it.

Mattel have three seperate companies or individuals that are chomping at the bit to do something. Folks who know the brand inside and out.

There's no excuse for this other than shortsightness or vanity.

We are in 2010 and yet we have art that is VASTLY inferior to the art produced in the 80's.
    Art should move forwards not backwards!!

Not that it's needed but the proof is in the pudding! Especially on the first two.
    The Fourhorsemen already loves Nate's pudding and Emiliano is a tried and tested fine bit o' pud!!

MV Creations

Nathan Baertch:

Eamon O'Donoghue Illustration and Design:

I really should finish this off ya know?!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    500 years is waaaay too short of a time span.
    Not even CLOSE for something like Castle Grayskull to be forgotten to time.

Emiliano has an interesting point about American history vs Eternian history. I'd suggest that's it's maybe more that the bio writers wanted to fill in as many of the gaps as possible, and if you're dealing with thousands of years, it would be much harder to do.

Why they wouldn't want to leave some more of the mystery intact . . . who knows?

I don't know, for all of Toyguru's "Your own canon is just as valid!" comments, why do I get the feeling that someone there is a HUGE fan and thinks this could hold its own as a 'be all, end all' MotU history?

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Where did you dig that up?!?

That was one of our original promo pieces when we first got started on the comic.
    I hope folks don't look to that as my color sample.
    I've come a long way since then.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Yeah, Mattel would've be leagues better off just recoloring that Nate piece there!!

(Speaking of, someone should do that! )

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The Fourhorsemen already loves Nate's pudding and Emiliano is a tried and tested fine bit o' pud!!
    Wow, that's late night!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

That was one of our original promo pieces when we first got started on the comic.

Oh you have but that doesn't make this any less awesome. I still really like the colours on this. Especially on He-man.

I found it on Google by typing Emiliano Santalucia He-man!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I was wondering where it was from.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I love the idea of Masters of the Universe being tied into the orgin/story of the universe itself. Like, Dan I never put much thought into it before.. but would love something like this to be expanded upon in future canon. Obviously it won’t work with MOTUC canon as it seems as though everything has taken place in span of a few hundred years.. but I would enjoy Masters of the Universe lore to be as expansive as the universe itself..

You guys have a lot of great ideas when it comes to this property.. Someone should give you a comic book or something one of these days!!

Thanks!
    A lot of people didn't know I did it.
    Here's a link to it on my DeviantArt account.

Wowzers! You have come a long way... As much as I love bright bold colors, your style seems to have evolved into a softer, (sometimes) a tad more pale palate, but there is so much color variation making the work not so flat/graphic. One of my instructors in school taught us, "Every color, everywhere". It harmonizes everything, while still making them pop dimensionally; the colors don't stand out so individually. Cheers, Val!

And Eamon, that piece is so beautiful that you could leave it as is.
    Last edited by Jon-O; October 8, 2010 at 02:41pm.

To quote a famous line from Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Stop Whining!" just kidding. Actually I agree with u guys that the art work on the two packs is weak. I remember being a kid and getting lost in the great pictures on motu products. I could almost vision being in eternia by studying all the details that went into them. Anyway, another great show guys. Keep it up.
    bnl4life

I gave the art another look, and made additional comments over in the 2-pack thread.

I'm trying to look at it from different vantages.

I gave the art another look, and made additional comments over in the 2-pack thread.

I'm trying to look at it from different vantages.
    Val, you should go into politics!

again, great podcast

i was drawing this while listening

Battle-Pigeon

Listening now... Thanks for all the props folks!

My feeling on the art very much mimick's Val's view... There have to be many factors in this that we don't know about, but sadly the end result just doesn't come off as top of the line work that Mattel should be putting on their toys.

This has to compete in the aisles. And the art that's there now just doesn't do that, doesn't hold a candle to what's out there.
    I hate sayin' it but I've got to call it as I see it and that's what I'm seeing. *shrugs*

Alcala loved this kind of stuff back in the day, and you can see it singing in his work on those old comics. Rudy's work as well on the box art, etc. Those guys loved the magic of MotU and it showed in their work.

This guy loves DC stuff, you can see that, but I don't get that same feeling in his work on the MotU side of things. I could be wrong, and will be the first to admit it.

Rant done.

EDIT: @ The Raw! We need that figure!!! Great stuff as always man!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Battle pigeon ROCKS!
    it reminds me some stuff about a duck figure people want on the 4HM forums!

EDIT:
    found it

Minotaur The Duck: Champion of the Watery Depths

I understand what you are saying about the Wundar head, Val. Thanks for explaining that. I would love to see some art on possible Wundar face sketches.
    Maybe I will switch some heads around with a He-man hairpiece. Or use Vikors face. He- mike used MAA head once with Heman hair and it looked like a new head. Mattel could still do something for us at some point in a head pack
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; October 8, 2010 at 05:28pm.