Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 020 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by THE RAW View Post
    again, great podcast

i was drawing this while listening

Battle-Pigeon

Awesome!

awesome pod-cast guys - as always!

i'm no artist ... in fact, i'm a long way from it! but - i totally agree with eamon about the quality/standard of the recent 2-pack art-work ... the mer-man and the stratos (i'm not much of a DC guy ...) just really don't hit the mark at all (i'm not trying to offend, just my opinion) ... and i long for the days of the vintage art-work, which was a lot more wholesome and emotive ... as well as giving off the 'moody'/'gothic' vibes, which i love about the vintage art-work ...

i thought the whole point of motuc was to re-create, evoke and re-kindle the original/vintage motu lines - if the figures are going to do this (which they completely and utterly do!), then the art-work should too ... i just looked at the castle greyskull box-art, and it's as if they have gone a step back with this latest art, instead of going forward ...

whilst i won't be buying the 2-packs, i do agree with the general consensus regarding these particular art-works ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; October 8, 2010 at 03:25pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

About 2/3 of the way through now. Carrying in the groceries this evening, my wife asks me why in the world I'm singing "berserker" quietly to myself. So, thanks?

Also, awesome art all around in this thread. Eamon, as cool your He-Man is, what I really like is Point Dread in the background. That's a playset that I think doesn't get nearly enough love.
    Last edited by Scotward; October 8, 2010 at 09:00pm. Reason: Eye sumtymes kant spel

Fan Art of the Week: Him-Guy by jerryfleming
    Fan Site of the Week: Fearless Photog Lives!
    Collectible of the Week: Games > Puzzles > Cube Puzzle

Discussion: Optikk MOTUC bio.

Items of Note:
    Last edited by josh; October 12, 2010 at 10:20pm.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Yeah Bikini Teela!!! There's a place for her on my shelf... even if Adora pushes red headed Teela off to make it.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Haha! Man! THE RAW, that 'Battle Pigeon' is awesome!

On the subject of art - I'm going to be really controversial and say that I think the new ToysRUs exclusives 2-packs art is fine.

Let me explain. As in the 'Grindhouse' movie where Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino deliberately "DIRTIED UP" the film, cast b-movie actors and put in deliberately ropey dialogue, they did it as a stylistic nod. This was a nod to seventies an eighties trash cinema, but done artfully.

The art on the new 2-packs, I believe, has been commissioned to depict comic scenes that never were. Only Superman clashed with the Eternians and, to justify the new 2-packs, Mattel's packaging artist did a deliberate homage to the kind of sell-through, pulpy-standard, near-newsprint basics of mid-eighties DC and Marvel, working Mer-Man and STartos in there to brilliant and evocative effect.

To sum up - the cardback art is basic, bold and - like the Grindhouse example in recent films - "deliberately bad", which I "get" and kind of like.

The art of Emiliano and Eamon is excellent, technically brilliant - but very stylistic.

Whether it be the dynamic lines and contours of Emiliano's art or the Frazetta-quality pomp, gloss and car-body chic of Eamon's work, I don't believe these styles would have fitted what Mattel had in mind here.

Mattel have gone for a kitschy pastiche of the good-but-rushed-to-market tie-in art of 1980s comics like Marvel's 'Secret Wars' and 'Transformers' and the utlitarian art of the original DC Superman vs. MOTU comic. Maybe Eamon, Emiliano and Val could have come up with a better solution to that mid-eighties comic-art-style brief - but I like what Mattel kind of humorously did here and think it was kind of nifty.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Thanks Josh!

Bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post

Whether it be the dynamic lines and contours of Emiliano's art or the Frazetta-quality pomp, gloss and car-body chic of Eamon's work, I don't believe these styles would have fitted what Mattel had in mind here.
    I honestly don't think Mattel put so much thinking into this.
    Plus, that isn't a good reason to have wrong characters portrait and color schemes.

I think you are gonna have to break out the art Emiliano!!

Quote Originally Posted by THE RAW View Post
    again, great podcast

i was drawing this while listening

Battle-Pigeon
    http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...-raw/taube.jpg
    This of course amazing!! Ya gotta send me a high res of this!
    Of course the big question is, what message is he carrying? Eternian Playboy perhaps?!

And what ya need behind him is a bunch of enamored and satisfied looking female pigeons.

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

On the subject of art - I'm going to be really controversial and say that I think the new ToysRUs exclusives 2-packs art is fine.

Let me explain. As in the 'Grindhouse' movie where Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino deliberately "DIRTIED UP" the film, cast b-movie actors and put in deliberately ropey dialogue, they did it as a stylistic nod. This was a nod to seventies an eighties trash cinema, but done artfully.

The art on the new 2-packs, I believe, has been commissioned to depict comic scenes that never were. Only Superman clashed with the Eternians and, to justify the new 2-packs, Mattel's packaging artist did a deliberate homage to the kind of sell-through, pulpy-standard, near-newsprint basics of mid-eighties DC and Marvel, working Mer-Man and STartos in there to brilliant and evocative effect.

To sum up - the cardback art is basic, bold and - like the Grindhouse example in recent films - "deliberately bad", which I "get" and kind of like.
    I like that theory.

On the topic of Optikk's bio, here's a question of mine from a previous WTFWTK.

Optikk's bio leads me to believe that neither He-Man or Skeletor travels to the future. Is this indeed the case? Has that story line been scrapped?

Not as much scrapped as much as it has been streamlined. We looked at the notes for the proposed 3rd and 4th season of the 2002 series and tried to incorporate those ideas into the bios. One of our big goals for the MOTUC line was to create as many diverse characters and as many “battle situations” as possible to fuel fan’s imaginations as they create their own adventures. In the case of Optikk and the NA characters, they were incorporated into the Classic bios as they would have been incorporated into the 4th season of the 2002 show.
    Love, friendship, or respect, do not unite people as much as a common hatred for something.
    I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

The art on the new 2-packs, I believe, has been commissioned to depict comic scenes that never were. Only Superman clashed with the Eternians and, to justify the new 2-packs, Mattel's packaging artist did a deliberate homage to the kind of sell-through, pulpy-standard, near-newsprint basics of mid-eighties DC and Marvel, working Mer-Man and STartos in there to brilliant and evocative effect
    despite my previous post, i actually think this is a really good explanation to the standard/quality of the 2-pack box-art ...

whilst i'm still not a fan of it, it does kinda make sense through your interpretation ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Got this bad boy on my iPod ready for a plane ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Got this bad boy on my iPod ready for a plane ride!
    good journey!

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Chewer of Trollans
    I feel like this needs to be said: Swiftwind should not be in the first MOTU movie, talking or otherewise. Audiences can't handle more than nine characters. I'm not starting a nine characters thread, but it is pretty standard cinema fair.
    Meanwhile, I have to say that although an official timeline is desperately needed, Optikk's bio pushed me over the edge to get him. It's just cool.
    I've always imagined that Castle Grayskull was built the same way Eternia was built. Hands may have added to it over time, but it's always been there. And I love the idea that there is a universal level importance to its existance.

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    I feel like this needs to be said: Swiftwind should not be in the first MOTU movie, talking or otherewise. Audiences can't handle more than nine characters. I'm not starting a nine characters thread, but it is pretty standard cinema fair.
    Meanwhile, I have to say that although an official timeline is desperately needed, Optikk's bio pushed me over the edge to get him. It's just cool.
    I've always imagined that Castle Grayskull was built the same way Eternia was built. Hands may have added to it over time, but it's always been there. And I love the idea that there is a universal level importance to its existance.
    I feel that too, but would love it if, in any future bio, it was still the case that Tytus built the skull insignia into the front and drawbridge (jawbridge) of Grayskull, but that he used the skull of the dead Megator!
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I'm afraid that's rather unlikely, as according to Tytus's bio, Megator KILLED HIM, well after he built the castle and helped build the Eternian Towers...

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    There's no excuse for this other than shortsightness or vanity.

It's vanity. We all know that's the reason...

I feel that too, but would love it if, in any future bio, it was still the case that Tytus built the skull insignia into the front and drawbridge (jawbridge) of Grayskull, but that he used the skull of the dead Megator!
    Do we know for sure that the symbol of the cosmic warriors that was placed on the front of Grayskull is the skull or the thing at the top that looks like Zodac's white emblem?

On the vintage Grayskull, there is that "w" thing... no one has ever confirmed which symbol it is...

We don't know that He-Ro's cape symbol is the emblem of the Cosmic Warriors... We don't know that the Zodac(k) white "w" isn't the Cosmic Warrior emblem
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 10, 2010 at 12:29am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Great episode guys. I must say I don't mind the standard MOTUC packaging but agree with you on the new DCU two-packs art.

I like Opick's bio but am also interested in seeing where it is placed chronologically. I thinking it may go something like this, Skeletor has defeated Hordak on Eternia, then we have the events of NA, then he comes back to Eternia with the mutants added to his ranks to take on the intergalactic Horde empire (aka Horde Prime).

Nice Battle Pigeon picture The Raw. I love the roll of paper in his leg, 'Heroic Flying Messenger'.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

BATTLE PIGEON:
    Heroic fighting courier

From the Red Stone rooftops of a distant land, Colum-Badd often visits Eternia to help improve communications between it's many native cultures and races.
    Each scroll the mighty avian warrior carries contains the synopsis of each He-man.org Podcast, an anchient periodical recording of four wise Terrans that provide comfort to the many races of Eternia and indeed the Universe.
    Battle Pigeon journeys through dangerous galaxies and skies to deliver vital Podcasts to the good people of Eternia!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I came here looking for a link to Emiliano's 2-pack artwork. D:

I added a few new links to the appendix & notations.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Thanks josh!!!

bring on dinner time!

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    good journey!
    Thank you.

Just finished listening to the last part of this one - and I see another is out which i'll download for a lazy moment by the pool!

Cracking episode guys. Had me laughing my butt off at times.
    Props to Eamon for another awesome rant or two (love those) - and to Emiliano for coming clean with his Teela love
    Pixel Dan's quiet bewilderment at the art discussion was just hilarious.
    Thanks to Val for tying it altogether as the MC though. I also found Val's observations on liscensing and fan projects very interesting too.

I am a bit behind on listening and just finished this episode.

What I found most interesting was the comment about He-man.org having more website traffic than all GI Joe websites. I always assumed the biggest fan bases were:

1. Star Wars
    2. Transformers
    3. GI Joe
    4. MOTU

There is probably a lot of Star Trek fans as well, but since there is no current show airing or movie coming out soon, I don't see much web traffic happening on the Star Trek front.

I really don't see He-man.org getting more traffic than Star Wars websites, especially with the new Clone Wars in full swing. I am not surprised that Transformers websites get more traffic (I'm betting either allspark.com or TFW2005.com are right behind Seibertron.com). However, I can't believe He-man.org gets more traffic than some of the top GI Joe websites (yojoe.com or HISSTank.com). Of course, with MOTUC going strong and the GI Joe front being in calmer waters since the 25th anniversary stuff is over and Rise of Cobra was not that popular (although Pursuit of Cobra is a great GI Joe line), it leads a bit more credibility of He-man.org getting more traffic than Joe website currently.

I would really love to see the web traffic stats that Val saw when he made the web traffic comment - if the information is available to the public, of course.

If He-man.org is getting more traffic than any GI Joe sites, I think this is a good indicator there should be an official annual MOTU convention - especially since GI Joe has one.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread