Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Roboto Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Roboto Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hey guys!

Roboto is here! Enjoy!

As always, I'll do my best to answer any additional questions.

Follow-Up Video:
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; October 14, 2010 at 09:37am.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

WOW!!! ...

ok, time to stop listening to joe bonamassa and check this video out!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Thank you for the great review, Pxel Dan!

Just two short questions:Are the arms removable as with Kronis? Are they interchangeable with Trap-Jaw?

Regarding the figure:
    Roboto looks good, although I think the head sits just too high and the beak-guard is way to long in profile. And I am still disappointed that they didn't make the left hand removable (but at least now I do not have to buy two of him).

Overall it seems to be a good figure, that could have been great with a calmer head and armor piece.

How were the joints? What about swapping the head? Any issues there?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I hear that! Awesome!

Everything you said in this review I completely agree. I've been looking forward to Roboto as he's one of my favorite heroic MOTU figures. Don't care what any hyper anime lovers say either, but I'm glad this is heavily based on the vintage figure. I have some good memories of that figure with the clear chest and the gears. Also "Happy Birthday Roboto" is one of my favorite Filmation episodes. (Can't wait to see what Modulok is gonna look like in Classics!)
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Cool review. I'm sad Mattel didn't think of making both hands removeable in time.

I think it's odd this is the ONLY Roboto figure that has "ab" sculpting that makes it very difficult to see the gears through his translucent shell. In the video, we can clearly see through both the 80's figure and the 200X figure. It's a challenge to see through the mid-section of the MOTUC figure though.

The only other gripe I have with him (besides his lack of the AWESOME 200X head and clip-on chest armour to protect his glass or plexiglass shell...) is his "duck bill." Overall, the 80's head looks vastly superior, in my opinion. The new one looks a bit goofy because the bill is so long.

He is cool though and I'm very glad they fixed the arm attachment issue to make them the same as Trap-Jaw!

EDIT:

He reminds me of Gizmod from Darkwing Duck:

Last edited by Darkspecter; October 9, 2010 at 05:09pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Great Review, awesome figure! Love the shading paint!

But the original figure did indeed have silver Boots. The purple on your figure is a result of the leaking plasticizer. You can remove it with silicone spray.

No questions that I can think of off-hand.

Good luck to everyone who doesn't have a sub or wants extras. I think we'll be seeing a significant influx of new customers due to all the recent press on She-Ra.

awesome review dan! ...

for me, this figure resembles the original/classic figure the most out of any other figure we have seen so far ... for me, it totally just looks like a super-sized version of the original (minus the leg colouring) ... which is absolutely mind-blowing ...

i truly cannot wait for this one - this is an awesome sculpt!

dan - you mentioned the waist-swivel being smooth ... obviously the original was quite clunky and creaky ... is it a real smooth purchase when you turn the waist or can you feel the gears moving?
    Last edited by tmc1984; October 9, 2010 at 05:14pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post

But the original figure did indeed have silver Boots. The purple on your figure is a result of the leaking plasticizer. You can remove it with silicone spray.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The same thing happened with Two-Bad. It's pretty rare to find, but there are some Two-Bads and Robotos out there that do not have this problem. It's like MEGO melt.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

JimPansen is absolutely 100% correct. The original did have silver on the legs. The metallic pink paint on the legs is a common misconception that has been repeated here over the years.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    As he's a robot, I'm totally cool with the lack of abdominal articulation. It adds to the idea that the torso is in fact one hulk of plastic. And I'm really glad they were able to do the rotating gears.

I'm really excited and can't wait to get him this week.

Thanks for the awesome review, Dan!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The only other gripe I have with him (besides his lack of the AWESOME 200X head and clip-on chest armour to protect his glass or plexiglass shell...)
    As much as I love the 200x design, that clip on chest armour just seemed unnecessary to me. I'd always imagined his body was made from a big piece of hollowed out diamond.

Why would Man-At-Arms build a robot out of plexiglass anyway? Sounds kinda fragile...

Great review.
    But what is the torso like?
    Any potential breakage issues like with the Goddess?
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Why would Man-At-Arms build a robot out of plexiglass anyway? Sounds kinda fragile...
    it's double-glazing dude, keeps the wind out ...

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    As much as I love the 200x design, that clip on chest armour just seemed unnecessary to me. I'd always imagined his body was made from a big piece of hollowed out diamond.

It is fragile. In Roboto's first battle in MYP, his chest is broken in pieces. Hence the armour.

I don't recall if his glass shell broke in other media though. Diamond is an interesting concept though.

Roboto is amazing!!! I can't wait to get my hands on him! He's one of the figures I've been looking forward to the most.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Roboto is amazing!!! I can't wait to get my hands on him! He's one of the figures I've been looking forward to the most.
    couldn't agree more!

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Great review as always, Dan.

I personally think that this figure looks far more odd next to the rest than Carnivus does. I'm not saying it's bad, as MOTU is all about variety, but just an observation. And as always, just my personal opinion.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Thank you for the great review, Pxel Dan!

Just two short questions:Are the arms removable as with Kronis? Are they interchangeable with Trap-Jaw?

Regarding the figure:
    Roboto looks good, although I think the head sits just too high and the beak-guard is way to long in profile. And I am still disappointed that they didn't make the left hand removable (but at least now I do not have to buy two of him).

Overall it seems to be a good figure, that could have been great with a calmer head and armor piece.
    Nope, the arms are not removable.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How were the joints? What about swapping the head? Any issues there?
    All of the joints are very tight on mine! Although I must be honest, it completely sliped my mind to pop his head off. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

He reminds me of Gizmoduck from Darkwing Duck:

My wife said the exact same thing!

Ahhhh...ok, cool. Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that. For some reason, I always remember him having that purple sheen.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; October 9, 2010 at 05:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sweet review. Felt like it has been a long time.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    awesome review dan! ...

dan - you mentioned the waist-swivel being smooth ... obviously the original was quite clunky and creaky ... is it a real smooth purchase when you turn the waist or can you feel the gears moving?
    It's VERY smooth, so much so that it does not click like he vontage figure, and you can't really feel the gears turning.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    Great review.
    But what is the torso like?
    Any potential breakage issues like with the Goddess?
    It seems pretty sturdy to me, thus far. I have had no problems with him, and it doesn't feel like it's going to break at all.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; October 9, 2010 at 05:49pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    it's double-glazing dude, keeps the wind out ...

It is fragile. In Roboto's first battle in MYP, his chest is broken in pieces. Hence the armour.

I don't recall if his glass shell broke in other media though.
    He never used the armour on the cartoon though, even after that happened (perhaps he should have).

Just watched the review Dan, great as always!

I'm usually one of those who think the 4H can do little wrong, but this figure really looks awful to me. I've never liked those lower legs--I thought they should be more straight instead of tapering to a narrow ankle--but it's the duckbill that's really killing it for me. It's so long and narrow...just looks terrible to me. Fortunately, it's not a character I ever liked in the least, so I wasn't planning on picking one up anyway. Great review Dan!