Thread: Who came first Vykron or Vikor prototype ?

Who came first Vykron or Vikor prototype ?

I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer. Did the Vikor concept get worked into the Vykron prototype? Did it go fromon Vikor prototype to Vykron prototype?
    I've looked but couldn't find an answer

I think the Vykron trio came first as a cobbled together of parts glued to some old Big Jim figures or some such, just to show the basic idea of an action figure line. Vikor was a little later, after some actual design work had begun in earnest on the line, and is more of a direct prototype to He-Man.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

I think Vikor was just a concept drawn by Mark Taylor. The Vykron trio was a prototype done by Roger Sweet in late 1980 or early 1981. I almost think the Vikor concept came first. I believe the Vikor drawing was a revisit from his 50's drawing of Torak. But I am not sure. I'll investigate further.
    Last edited by Vlcan; September 29, 2012 at 12:12pm.

I read somewhere that the Vikor and Vykron names were both attached to the drawing. That's not really what was asked, but I thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    I think Vikor was just a concept drawn by Mark Taylor. The Vykron trio was a prototype done by Matthew Sweet in late 1980 or early 1981. I almost think the Vikor concept came first. I believe the Vikor drawing was a revisit from his 50's drawing of Torak. But I am not sure. I'll investigate further.
    Matthew Sweet?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Someone who watched too many conan movies.

You mean Roger Sweet.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I don't know the answer to this question but I thought this may be a good place to ask: Who made He-man blond? Not Taylor or Sweet? Then who?

check out my art:
    http://ayotaartwork.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayota View Post
    I don't know the answer to this question but I thought this may be a good place to ask: Who made He-man blond? Not Taylor or Sweet? Then who?
    George Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksun442 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer. Did the Vikor concept get worked into the Vykron prototype? Did it go fromon Vikor prototype to Vykron prototype?
    I've looked but couldn't find an answer
    I'm looking at my copy of the Power and Honor Catalog 1. There is very little "actual" dates mentioned but you can base on who-came-first based on He-man's design progression.
    Basically Mark Taylor did the Vikor sketch when the (MOTU) line was still being conceptualized (this is around May-June 1980). He used an old character he made named "Torak" as a jumping point for the initial design.
    (to add a bit of confusion, the "Vikor" we now know in MOTUC was initially called "Vykon" by Roger Sweet)

After a few months of tweaking the Vikor/Vykon design, Roger Sweet made prototypes for his pitch on the He-man toyline using re-purposed Big Jim dolls. The (3) Prototypes (initially dubbed as the He-Man Trio) eventually became the basis for the fig we now know as Vykron in MOTUC.

Long story short: Mark Taylor drew a sketch of "Vikor", which was tweaked through months of development and was eventually made into "Vykron" prototypes by Roger Sweet afterwards.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "