Thread: Prototype vs. Production

Court Magician KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar

Prototype vs. Production

I for one was really looking forward to some Filamtion variants and so was thrilled to see them today. I will be subbing for the first time for 2016 (I came in to MOTUC too late to sub before and wasn't sure about 2016, but I was quickly convinced) for both Filmation and Thundercats lines (yes!)

For all of my excitement, though, I'm a little hesitant. Nothing that will keep me from subbing at all. If they come to production exactly as is in the photos, I'm still sold.

Still, I guess I was expecting that the Filmation variants would fit in with the other Filmation characters we have gotten in MOTUC (Batros, Strong-Or, etc.). What was revealed, though, looks a little more cartoonish than I anticipated. Yes, Batros and Strong-Or are simple characters, but they fit in with the line. Strong-Or is one of my favorites. They are cartoonish, but stand side by side with other figures in the line really well.

So I'm wondering, how much difference is there between the prototypes and the final production figures? Might it be that Filmation Beast Man, for example, will fit a bit better alongside the Classics figures (the style clearly continues with the Collector's line) than it seems to appear? Or are we really looking at a completely different thing here? I noticed that the Lion-O close-up on Fwoosh is a bit smooth and cartoonish as well. Hoping that they all might get a bit toughened up in the end.

But, like I said, I'm thrilled either way in the end. Just wondering how they will all look alongside one another in the end.
    Last edited by KingRandorFacepalm; July 10, 2015 at 07:22pm.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Click here for examples of Four Horsemen Prototypes.

Just find a figure you have (that also has a prototype picture) and compare them! You'll get the gist of what changes between proto and finished product. Most of the time, the paint will look different, because either A) the plastic will be molded in color rather than painted, or B) the paint looks different on finished plastic than it does on the resin that the prototype is made of.

Granted, I know this doesn't answer your question completely, but since we won't see the finished product for awhile, this can give you an idea.
    Last edited by Alexx; July 10, 2015 at 08:19pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

For the most part, production figures look pretty close to the prototypes, so I think what we saw is pretty close to what we'll get. Since they're still in the same scale and reusing a lot of the same parts, I think the new Filmation figures will still fit in perfectly well with the Classics Filmation figures.

Court Magician KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    These responses are really helpful. Thank you both. Alexx, those pictures for comparison do the trick. The difference between the plastic and the resin is substantial, I think. In light of this, I also think these will look great alongside what we already have. Can't wait. 2016!
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Originally things like Toyfair etc were more trade shows trying to sale to retailers. So often prototypes were handled with much more care in the detailing etc. Cons did similar but with consumers. Typically by the time the product actually made it to shelf some details aren't/weren't painted to save some cost, articulation may have changed etc.

The prototypes for this are I would say 90% accurate or so. Some are spot on aside from like was said the difference in casting vs painted plastic giving a figure a different look or feel. Female leotards are often the more noticeable difference, or something that just didn't go right in the casting of the molds (face getting slightly elongated or squished).

I brought up the first because until the age of the internet most people never really saw the prototype products or if they did the pictures weren't as big as we get now, so most of us were never aware of changes that had been made.

But yeah painted resin often has a quite different look and 'feel' to it. With something more cartoon looking it really makes it cartoony.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it