Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post here if you believe Mattel needs to Re-think January

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar

Post here if you believe Mattel needs to Re-think January

Ok, I was a little shocked when I saw everything that's going on sale in January. And I'm guessing that many of you were as well. Here's what TG gave us for January news:

Jan 18th:
    Bow (2011 sub figure)
    Shadow Beast (2011 sub quarterly beast/multipack)
    Palace Guards (2010 item delated slightly)
    Castle Grayskull stands (reissue)
    Evil Lyn reissue

Now for those of us that have subs, we are anticipating Bow and the Shadow Beast release upcoming but does it make sense to have two $30 large size figures in one month on top of the regular sub figure, re-release and accessories (stands)?

I buy two of everything so figure out the math on that one! And I don't have a lot of extra laying around in this glorious economy we're in right now so should Mattel back up into February?

Will you be passing over some things you would have purchased otherwise since all this product has been placed in January for release?

I'll have to give up the re-release, the stands and I probably won't get as many of the Palace Guards because my sub's (x2) have me locked into $100 that month before shipping.

What do you think?
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Yeah...that would be good...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Not to be offensive or anything but if it's a budget issue, can't you just work that out over the next 3 months on your own? We thought the Guards 2-pack was coming in December so that should already be in the December budget. Just hold off on blowing that cash on something less important (like a holiday charity donation or family member's Christmas gift) and you should be all set for where we expected to be in January since SDCC.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Not to be offensive or anything but if it's a budget issue, can't you just work that out over the next 3 months on your own? We thought the Guards 2-pack was coming in December so that should already be in the December budget. Just hold off on blowing that cash on something less important (like a holiday charity donation or family member's Christmas gift) and you should be all set for where we expected to be in January since SDCC.
    If it were a budget issue, this would be a fine and appropriate piece of advice.

However, my issue is the actual ordering process...

If the DR servers are incapable of handling the load on some of the previous "heavy days", what's January 18th going to be like?

I have a sub, but wanted 4-5 Shadow Beasts, 3 Palace Guards and as many Grayskull stands as I could get.

Now, with the WSOD and ALL these things on the same day WITH the monthly figure?

Sorry, it's just a bad deal for the collector.

BUT Mattel doesn't care about that, because a sellout is a sellout is a sellout.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; October 17, 2010 at 08:37am.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Yeah...that would be good...
    Im totally onboard!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    Jan 18th:
    Bow (2011 sub figure)
    Shadow Beast (2011 sub quarterly beast/multipack)
    Palace Guards (2010 item delated slightly)
    Castle Grayskull stands (reissue)
    Evil Lyn reissue

The sub has me covered for Bow and the Shadow Beast. My main concern is logging in and getting 3 sets of Palace Guards and a second Bow. I have Evil-Lyn already, and I've never felt compelled to get the stands. I'm a notorious shopper, so unemployment or not, I started budgeting aside for the giant November sale before they announced the postponement of the guards.

I know it's redonkulous, but I'll be praying for everyone. I know how stress and nerves can get the better of us on these days.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

I'll agree that it is going to be incredibly painful trying to order that day. Even with the sub, I'd like at least 2 Guards sets, Grayskull stands and maybe an extra Evil Lynn

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I would not argue with a postponing of the Palace Guards on more month. Dont get me wrong, I really want them and I want them now. With that being said, it would make sense to avoid having them on the same month as the other large scale items.

January is definitely pure insanity.

I can only speak for myself but: My MOTUC budget is not huge from month to month, and I've already had to pass on more than one figure due to that (no She-Ra or Keldor, for instance). Putting all of these figures out in January guarantees I won't be able to get them all.

I already resigned myself to the fact that I'll only be able to get one of each (Shadowbeast and Guards) and will have to wait for re-releases to pick up extras. But with them both in the same month, I'll have to pick which one I want more.

Spread 'em out and I'll likely be able to get one of each, maybe even two of whatever would be pushed to February.

Not to be offensive or anything but if it's a budget issue, can't you just work that out over the next 3 months on your own?
    Stuff $8 a week in an envelope marked MOTU and you too can afford your January MOTU fix in thirteen weeks!!

I do agree with you, UM, but I also don't like Mattel piling it on so much that we have to be that responsible.

MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Ouch! All in one month you gotta be kidding!
    I bought the sub for 2011 so I will be getting Bow & the Shadow Beast.
    I plan on having 2 Shadow Beasts 2 Palace Guards army builders 10 Castle Grayskull stands & the Evil Lyn reissue.
    Wow!!!
    Of course ordering all those off Matty will be a nightmare. Don't expect to get everything. I hope matty changes this so its not so overwhelming.

I can understand why fans would want them spread out more. It personally makes no difference to me. It's the same amount of money coming out of my pocket either way. This way I just spend more in January and less in February. I do think it would be a nice gesture to the fans who support this line to spread them out a bit more.

The success of the line is going to breed more types of products being produced for sale each month. The line is going to continue to get more expensive to collect. Just imagine how expensive 2012 will be with the potential of vehicles and more items like the weapons rack.

I vote for the Guards 2pk to move to February. Its too much to have on one day for most wallets and for DR's servers.

Matty is banking on all that Christmas money, eh?

I think 3 MOTUC items max per month should be the rule.
    yeaaaahh ..... but then that happened...

THESE TRADERS HAVE THE POWER !!! - Thanks guys!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    my biggest issue is ordering more than two things off matty. there are times I don't luck out & not get everything I wanted (thats why I want the reissue of Evil Lyn). sell outs are fast & waiting to see if you make it though check out with all items still in cart.

Totally agreed, budget is not a a factor here. The palace guard are a delayed item so people should have that money already. And Evil-lyn/Grayskull stands are re-releases.

But if you still think January is too expensive for your budget, then maybe you shouldn't be collecting toys.

I think they are doing this to boost the first quarter sales.

They've added Panthor to the first quarter as well.

They also recently announced that they will be selling single figures for DCUC on the site.

The lack of being able to handle sales is going to be a bigger and bigger problem.

I don't think they care, to be honest.

January is going to be nutty.

$40 x 2 (Palace Guards)
    $30 x 2 (Shadow Beast)
    $20 x 2 (Bow)
    $12 x 1 (stands... Maybe,... This will be sacrificed because of expenses).

That's almost $200

This is when the 10% discount would be appropriate, and gracious, ESPECIALLY for subscribers. But it's only for Black Friday, and only if you spend $100 on what? Products you likely already have.

Black Friday should be 20-25% off on orders over $50.

January should have a 10% off for orders over $50 for subscribers as well. It would encourage subscribers to buy more than just the Palace Guards. It's a small reward for committing to the subscription.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

If Matty was a bit more forgiving on releasing certain things regularly, i.e. Grayskull Stands then I think most people wouldn't be too worried about January Overload.

Grayskull Stands, Shadow Beasts and Palace Guards should be on a regular release schedule so people can army build at an easier pace. And it will have been 11 months since the first release of the Grayskulk Stands. These should be on constant availability.

January will be the most expensive MOTUC month to date. I just hope it is nothing like February this year which caused many to miss out on either Trap Jaw or Battle Cat.

They have already delayed the Palace Guards by two months so what is one more month?

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    You act like it is very easy to save money now. Don't forget, we still have Grizzlor, King Grayskull, the weapons pack, and Buzz-Off to get. Not to mention that Legion of Super Heroes set that is supposed to be in Dec and that stupid sale in Nov (provided they have DCU 2 packs). Plus there is rent, bills, school, new movie releases, etc.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Well I don't want Mattel to delay anything any longer so I guess I will just have to start saving now. MOTU stands may get sacrificed but I really want multiple Guards and Shadow Beasts!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I´ll have to skip Lyn and the stands

Quote Originally Posted by SOLI-DAR View Post
    I vote for the Guards 2pk to move to February.
    I've seen this sentiment expressed for a while now, and I couldn't disagree more. Some of us have been waiting for the Guards for a while and they've already been pushed back, twice. If they were to push anything back I would hope it would be the Shadowbeast, or even the stands.

As for the sale--yeah, it's a crazy month. It'll be rough. I feel bad for those who just want to get one of each item, or even just the basic new releases. But I have no sympathy for those who want to buy more than one or two beasts/guards. Especially with the limited quantity, and others who maybe just want to get one and may be shut out.
    And those who have like multiple subs knew what they were getting into when they made that subscription purchase. January will be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of 2011.

Shadowbeast has been tentatively moved to February.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Nope-no rethinking here

January will be great for

No Evil Lyn-already have her
    No Stands-Cause they're Crap
    No Palace Guards-Cause they're Mega crap
    My B/S/T

My feedback

Did you know that Mattel is trying to kill Teh Lien??

I already saved money for the palace guards and am now saving for shadow beasts, it wouldn't be too much trouble since I want all the items anyway. Doesn't matter much if I spend it in January, February or March.

Kinda cool to get so many new stuff in one month actually...

That doesn't mean we should have that more often though, once is OK though...