Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Illumina is on the table now!

Well…it's a little light at the end of the tunnel! An Illumina figure would be awesome!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I would consider getting back in 100% if they made her.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Well…it's a little light at the end of the tunnel! An Illumina figure would be awesome!
    I agree. I just wouldn't expect her anytime soon...
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Can someone explain who is Illumina and what's her story? I know she's not in the series, unless I missed it or something but did they have a story of her in the comics?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Can someone explain who is Illumina and what's her story? I know she's not in the series, unless I missed it or something but did they have a story of her in the comics?
    She was supposed to be introduced in the 200X Comics (MVC) and was shown in an ad for an upcoming issue. But that issue never happened. She just has one printed piece of artwork about her. If there is more than that, I don't know it.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I really think this is just grasping at straws. I'd love to see Illumina made but I don't think this answer is proof of any change other than ToyGuru(or whoever answers these questions) getting better at wording answers in a way that isn't going to upset any fans. They never said, in the past, that Illumina couldn't be made. They just referred to her as a fan made character. They left that bit out this time but everything else sounds like "business as usual".
    Is it? Toyguru outright said "no" before. Maybe the situation behind the scenes has changed. If he's said "no" to the fans on a subject before, why lead them on now?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Is it? Toyguru outright said "no" before. Maybe the situation behind the scenes has changed. If he's said "no" to the fans on a subject before, why lead them on now?
    I don't feel he's leading anyone on. I feel the character isn't on the table(and probably will never get made due to the way ToyGuru's bosses feel about the 2002 era and, from what I've read online, their relationship with Emiliano & Val) but Mattel has finally learned that when they say "absolutely no", they get a bunch of angry fans emailing them & trashing them in every possible forum. Wording it this way, it gets a lot of people "off their back" until the next reveal diverts their attention.

I'll admit, this is just my opinion and in no way do I feel this is "fact".
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

i hope we see her, she'll be a welcome addition if she ever gets made. id really like to see the mythos expand a little.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I am very pleased about Illumina being in the motuc. I'd love to have the albino cat if possible. I do hope that she gets the mvc bio on back of the card. that will tie the story up nicely. one worry is I don't want her to be Keldors mother like some fans suggest.

i agree, i think it would be nice to have some new "independent" characters in the MOTU world. sometimes i think trying to "tie" a story together really isnt necessary. im more excited about the prospect of illumina than any other MOTU news thats been discussed recently.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    I don't feel he's leading anyone on. I feel the character isn't on the table(and probably will never get made due to the way ToyGuru's bosses feel about the 2002 era and, from what I've read online, their relationship with Emiliano & Val) but Mattel has finally learned that when they say "absolutely no", they get a bunch of angry fans emailing them & trashing them in every possible forum. Wording it this way, it gets a lot of people "off their back" until the next reveal diverts their attention.
    I fully agree with you. As I said before, they're not going to do her at any point in the next seven years or so. It's just easier for them to realise they can call her a "maybe" and let the complaints die down - and probably never be fulfilled, since the line would be ~10 years old at the point they'll start hunting around for stuff at the back of the cupboard to do, which is almost unheard of for a single continuous line. And if the line does last that long? Hey, they'll probably have moved to other projects or even left Mattel by then.

Let's be clear - we're talking about a character that appeared ONLY on the "next issue" page of a comic, not even in a story, at a point in MotU history that Mattel corporate is somewhere between "ambivalent about" and "hostile to" just now, and who didn't appear in-story because Mattel nixed her whole plotline. She wasn't so much as given a name in public until years later, on a message board by people who no longer work for Mattel, and who Mattel have publicly fallen out with to boot!

There are a few posters here, maybe even a couple of dozen or so, who really want her, yes. There's a bunch of people who even want "all-new characters" (meaning not "characters who haven't had a toy before" like Marlena, or Adora & Carnivus pre-MotUC, but characters who are newly designed). I'm not convinced there's a great groundswell for that since it would effectively delay characters who HAVE had significant roles in fiction such as Frosta, Ram-Man, Mantenna, Kobra Khan and Slush-Head. And the "all-new characters" group is essentially the set Illumina falls under, rather than the Marlena/Adora/Carnivus "new to toys" grouping.

Reboot and Mr. Shokoti, y'all are magnificent Buzz Kills.

Seriously, if Mattel thinks this will make everyone be quiet about her for very long, they're kidding themselves. But sure I can see that they may just have learned to phrase their answers better. None of use knows for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Let's be clear - we're talking about a character that appeared ONLY on the "next issue" page of a comic, not even in a story, at a point in MotU history that Mattel corporate is somewhere between "ambivalent about" and "hostile to" just now, and who didn't appear in-story because Mattel nixed her whole plotline. She wasn't so much as given a name in public until years later, on a message board by people who no longer work for Mattel, and who Mattel have publicly fallen out with to boot!
    Her credentials as you've stated them are better than those of Gygor or Vikor, who didn't appear in anything official and went unseen by fans for a lot longer, yet now both are made. Mattel's fear/antagonism towards 200X doesn't apply when they are making characters from that period--even started with one in King Grayskull. No, the only hold up is clearly whatever grudge Mattel (or someone at Mattel) has against her creators, which has so far been more about working with them again and with the org and not about the use of Illumina--who Mattel now owns completely and can write however they like. I think they genuinely didn't know she'd have a following and so wasn't on their radar. I think a lot of likes and dislikes on here are a vocal minority of the consumer public, but if obscure to the point of being completely new characters like Gygor and Carnivus can sell out fast (and please, less than two days is fast even for this line), then Mattel would have an easy time making money on Illumina. Chances are, the Gygor/Carnivus sell outs being so much faster than the Zodak/Goddess sales has emboldened Mattel enough to consider something like Illumina now.
    Last edited by gbagok; October 16, 2010 at 09:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post

Her credentials as you've stated them are better than those of Gygor or Vikor, who didn't appear in anything official and went unseen by fans for a lot longer, yet now both are made.
    Agreed with this completely!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

i think the fact that we now have a large cat figure that can easily be repainted gives Illumina a MUCH better chance of being made. making her wouldnt require very much new tooling.

Heroic Warrior
    I do think if & when she is made it will be as an exclusive probably at an SDCC or the like since she has only appeared in comic form.

I was very confused to see that answer, and question even. I hope we get her soon!
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I think Mr. Shokoti nailed this one.

There's really not much to add. Mattel have learned that when they say something will absolutely never be made, fans will badger them incessantly with questions about it. By saying they have the rights and -could- do a figure like Illumina, they waiver that responsibility.

Sure, they -could- make her, but they probably have no plans to ever do it.

Yah! I want ILLUMINA!!!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

If she can happen, then that's a big thumbs up from me, and a thumbs up to Scott!

At the very least, it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

I need a good dream soon.
    I keep having these crappy nightmares lately. Bleck.

I like the thought that she went from NO to MAYBE next natural step is DONE.

so, i΄m just waiting for the DONE part now

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

I'll admit, this is just my opinion and in no way do I feel this is "fact".
    That IS leading them on. I'd rather TG be straight with us and outright tell us if she's not on the table to be made. Either Illumina can be made or she can't be made, but I wouldn't want false hope. Fans who are passionate for their favorite characters will literally hang on every word that Toyguru says about their favorite characters and will hold him to it. When you deal with a fandom who is that passionate, it's best not to BS them. That leads into even MORE anger and rage on these forums.

"Maybe" should be "maybe", and not a euphemism for "no".

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That IS leading them on. I'd rather TG be straight with us and outright tell us if she's not on the table to be made. Either Illumina can be made or she can't be made, but I wouldn't want false hope. Fans who are passionate for their favorite characters will literally hang on every word that Toyguru says about their favorite characters and will hold him to it. When you deal with a fandom who is that passionate, it's best not to BS them. That leads into even MORE anger and rage on these forums.
    There's a big difference between can't & won't. Of course Illumina can be made. Mattel has never said otherwise. I feel she won't be made. I like the look of the character but I can't see how this could be anyone's favorite character. She appeared in one picture. There are villagers in the Filmation cartoon who have more of a presence in MOTU.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

There's a big difference between can't & won't. Of course Illumina can be made. Mattel has never said otherwise. I feel she won't be made. I like the look of the character but I can't see how this could be anyone's favorite character. She appeared in one picture. There are villagers in the Filmation cartoon who have more of a presence in MOTU.
    Ouch..lol.

Maybe after we get a retooled Evil-Lyn, they could use that body for a repaint to produce Illumina.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

I honestly don't know what's going on but I hope for good news.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.