Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Illumina is on the table now!

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Ouch..lol.
    I didn't mean it to sound that harsh. It's just hard for me to believe that there are some fans who feel Illumina is their favorite character when her only appearance was in a drawing in the back of a comic book. I feel her color & design is great and I'd love to see both her & her cat in toy form. It just seems nuts to get that upset about Illumina when there are a lot of characters who have been far more integral to the MOTU franchise that will never be made as well.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

For me it's the fact that Mattel could make Illumina & her cat, but refuses to, which only adds fuel to my desire to see her made.

Added to that is the amount of information Emiliano has revealed about her character, which is far more interesting to me than anything in (for example) Gygor's bio. As cool as Gygor is, i'd much rather have gotten a toy of her instead.

The lack of common sense on Mattel's part gets to me as well. They've got two potential figures that would certainly make a profit (and could be made almost entirely from existing parts - the Teela and Panthor sculpts) yet Mattel still seem to be unwilling to make them.

It seems silly to deliberately exclude any character they have the rights to, especially when so many Filmation ones are still off-limits.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; October 18, 2010 at 09:24pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I didn't mean it to sound that harsh. It's just hard for me to believe that there are some fans who feel Illumina is their favorite character when her only appearance was in a drawing in the back of a comic book. I feel her color & design is great and I'd love to see both her & her cat in toy form. It just seems nuts to get that upset about Illumina when there are a lot of characters who have been far more integral to the MOTU franchise that will never be made as well.
    You mean like Bobafet in the original Star Wars movies? He was pretty much a nobody that became almost everyone's favourite.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

not to really get technical or step on toes, but 70% of MOTU characters have no story. they have some lines in filmation episodes, thats about it. if i could choose between getting someone like rokkon or illumina, id much rather get illumina

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    You mean like Bobafet in the original Star Wars movies? He was pretty much a nobody that became almost everyone's favourite.
    I'm not saying this just to fit my side of the "argument"(I've said it before on this very forum), but even though I love Star Wars, I have never understood the adoration for Boba Fett. He had what looked like a hand-me-down costume and a lame death imo. Great, he had his own ship(with an aesthetically unappealing design imo) but he was still my least favorite bounty hunter after Dengar. I felt this before the Prequels but after them, I hate him even more.

Quote Originally Posted by victoryleo19 View Post
    not to really get technical or step on toes, but 70% of MOTU characters have no story. they have some lines in filmation episodes, thats about it. if i could choose between getting someone like rokkon or illumina, id much rather get illumina
    I can't speak for POP or NA, but practically all of the MOTU characters who were made into toys had some sort of representation in cartoon, comic, and/or storybook form. These all involved an origin, an introduction, or at the very least a vague description of their specialty or personality.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 19, 2010 at 12:58am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm not saying this just to fit my side of the "argument"(I've said it before on this very forum), but even though I love Star Wars, I have never understood the adoration for Boba Fett. He had what looked like a hand-me-down costume and a lame death imo. Great, he had his own ship(with an aesthetically unappealing design imo) but he was still my least favorite bounty hunter after Dengar. I felt this before the Prequels but after them, I hate him even more.

I can't speak for POP or NA, but practically all of the MOTU characters who were made into toys had some sort of representation in cartoon, comic, and/or storybook form. These all involved an origin, an introduction, or at the very least a vague description of their specialty or personality.
    Well, I thought Boba Fett looked awesome and was very mysterious because he basically didn't speak (like Darth Maul).

MOTU had a lot of that going for it too: we didn't know the origins of He-Man, what the Secrets of Castle Grayskull really were, Teela's father, etc.

Mystery brings on curiousity and fascination. I loved the MYP toon, but I think explaining everything...removing all the mystery...really made the overall story suffer. Sometimes it's best not to know.

It's like when you see a picture of an awesome looking action figure or character from a game/comic/cartoon. They're the best thing in the world...until you learn about them. Then you can become EXTREMELY disappointed or even turned off.

Illumina and her cat kind of fit that bill. We do know a bit about her though and I still think she's awesome.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    For me it's the fact that Mattel could make Illumina & her cat, but refuses to, which only adds fuel to my desire to see her made.

Added to that is the amount of information Emiliano has revealed about her character, which is far more interesting to me than anything in (for example) Gygor's bio. As cool as Gygor is, i'd much rather have gotten a toy of her instead.

The lack of common sense on Mattel's part gets to me as well. They've got two potential figures that would certainly make a profit (and could be made almost entirely from existing parts - the Teela and Panthor sculpts) yet Mattel still seem to be unwilling to make them.

It seems silly to deliberately exclude any character they have the rights to, especially when so many Filmation ones are still off-limits.
    Whether their beef is legitimate or not(I know nothing about it and it's none of my business), I can still understand Mattel not wanting to make a toy based on a character created by 2 people they no longer have a relationship with. Sure, it's petty, but if I had the opportunity to use a character created by an ex-girlfriend or ex-friend, I wouldn't. As for the possible profit, we still don't know what the numbers are for the MOTUC line. With all of the peg warming MOTUC VS DCUC 2-packs lining ToysRus shelves across the country, I doubt they are as large as some people feel.

Well, I thought Boba Fett looked awesome and was very mysterious because he basically didn't speak (like Darth Maul).

MOTU had a lot of that going for it too: we didn't know the origins of He-Man, what the Secrets of Castle Grayskull really were, Teela's father, etc.

Mystery brings on curiousity and fascination. I loved the MYP toon, but I think explaining everything...removing all the mystery...really made the overall story suffer. Sometimes it's best not to know.
    Uggghhh, I hated Darth Maul and MYP as well.

We can at least agree that it is somtimes good to keep things mysterious or at least not explain every minor detail. I just said something similar in Scorpia's MYP thread. I liked it when the secrets of Castle Grayskull were mysterious and I didn't need to know who Teela's father was since Duncan was her "Dad" no matter what. For that to work with a character, they must have a personality to go along with the mystery. That's why Wolverine, Darth Vader, and He-Man worked for me while Boba Fett & Darth Maul were empty vessels.

Illumina and her cat kind of fit that bill. We do know a bit about her though and I still think she's awesome.
    I'm not saying you can't be intrigued by a character like Illumina or love her design, but I feel the idea that she could be someone's favorite character based solely on one picture hard to believe. Maybe if a person wasn't a fan of MOTU and picked her out of a line up of different characters, but otherwise I just can't see it.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 19, 2010 at 01:18am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Whether their beef is legitimate or not(I know nothing about it and it's none of my business), I can still understand Mattel not wanting to make a toy based on a character created by 2 people they no longer have a relationship with. Sure, it's petty, but if I had the opportunity to use a character created by an ex-girlfriend or ex-friend, I wouldn't.
    Understandable, but that isn't how business work.
    Mark Taylor no longer work for Mattel, and yet, we got Vikor that is based on his sketch for He-Man.
    Ted Mayer and Roger Sweet don't work for Mattel anymore either, but we still got Gygor.
    If Mattel own a character, who created it doesn't matter at all.

If Mattel can use Aqua's Barbie Girl music to advertise Barbie like 12 years later, there's still hope for Illumina...lol

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I fully agree with you. As I said before, they're not going to do her at any point in the next seven years or so. It's just easier for them to realise they can call her a "maybe" and let the complaints die down - and probably never be fulfilled, since the line would be ~10 years old at the point they'll start hunting around for stuff at the back of the cupboard to do, which is almost unheard of for a single continuous line. And if the line does last that long? Hey, they'll probably have moved to other projects or even left Mattel by then.

Let's be clear - we're talking about a character that appeared ONLY on the "next issue" page of a comic, not even in a story, at a point in MotU history that Mattel corporate is somewhere between "ambivalent about" and "hostile to" just now, and who didn't appear in-story because Mattel nixed her whole plotline. She wasn't so much as given a name in public until years later, on a message board by people who no longer work for Mattel, and who Mattel have publicly fallen out with to boot!

There are a few posters here, maybe even a couple of dozen or so, who really want her, yes. There's a bunch of people who even want "all-new characters" (meaning not "characters who haven't had a toy before" like Marlena, or Adora & Carnivus pre-MotUC, but characters who are newly designed). I'm not convinced there's a great groundswell for that since it would effectively delay characters who HAVE had significant roles in fiction such as Frosta, Ram-Man, Mantenna, Kobra Khan and Slush-Head. And the "all-new characters" group is essentially the set Illumina falls under, rather than the Marlena/Adora/Carnivus "new to toys" grouping.
    Seriously, the demand for this character only exists among a small number of people on this site. That's why there is always someone asking who she is. I would rather have Glimmer than this woman with Glimmer's powers.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I think they've just learned to humour people better - once they start really running dry of existing concepts (i.e. around 2018. IF they never get the Filmation rights, that is), then she might become a "sure, why not".

She's still at the back of the queue - after all the vintage toy/MYP/Marlena females, never mind the guys. There's thus no harm in giving an answer that says they can do her, since there's every probability sales will tail off enough in the next 7+ years that the line will end before they start looking at her.
    That's what I figure many of the characters are. Any and all of them are potential, but not set in stone. People just like to get worked up and speculate what a figure will look like, when it's coming out, and all of that. In the end it's all up to Mattel and I really don't think they have a perfect map laid out on who will be made exactly when. Just that if they think it'll sell, it'll get a figure.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    Seriously, the demand for this character only exists among a small number of people on this site. That's why there is always someone asking who she is. I would rather have Glimmer than this woman with Glimmer's powers.
    There's a number of people over on Matty's site who have said they want her too.

I agree that Glimmer should be made first, as she's a more important character, but there's room in this line for several figures with the same powers if their look and personalities are different enough.

After all, giving characters similar powers is nothng new: Fisto & Jitsu; Stonedar, Rokkon & Jewelstar; Extendar & Tallstar; Modulok & Multi-Bot; even He-Man & She-Ra are examples of that.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I need a good dream soon.
    I keep having these crappy nightmares lately. Bleck.
    Sweet! My black magic curses are already taking effect!

It's all about the mystery with the Fett. And while I do not agree with equating Illumina with Boba (they are no where near equals in popularity or coolness) I do agree it's all about subjectiveness. There are some people who will gravitate towards a character, a design or a personality for whatever reason. It just so happens that a large majority gravitate towards Boba Fett while a few choose not to. It's merely a matter of preference.

Uggghhh, I hated Darth Maul and MYP as well.
    Darth Maul is also cool. The only cool creation to come out of the whole Prequel mess. But like I said, it's just a matter of preference.

As for Illumina, if they make her or not, it makes no difference to me.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Updated the first post with a picture and info from Emilliano as to who Illumina is.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Understandable, but that isn't how business work.
    Mark Taylor no longer work for Mattel, and yet, we got Vikor that is based on his sketch for He-Man.
    Ted Mayer and Roger Sweet don't work for Mattel anymore either, but we still got Gygor.
    If Mattel own a character, who created it doesn't matter at all.
    True, but that's why I threw in the "petty" comment in my last post. Sure, it's business and not personal, but I know from experience that they aren't always mutually exclusive(depending on the type or person or corporation you are dealing with). It's not right, but that's how it is sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    If Mattel can use Aqua's Barbie Girl music to advertise Barbie like 12 years later, there's still hope for Illumina...lol
    That was after they sued Aqua unfortunately.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 19, 2010 at 12:48pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...