Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 021 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 021 Discussion!

Episode 021 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, Emiliano Santalucia and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First, we dive into fan voicemail and e-mail!

Then we discuss the reveal of Panthor!

After that, we discuss another MOTUC bios. This time, She-Ra, Keldor and Eternia.

A few "highlights" of the show:
    • Mechanical bulls!
    • Daleks!
    • Fritz!

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 021

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Gygor = pronounce as words GUY or GORILLA.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Gynecologist-gor.

It continues to boggle my mind that Eamon hasn't read the mini-comics that DC produced. Get on that, Eamon!
    Last edited by josh; October 13, 2010 at 09:58pm.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

I always thought it was a play on "gigantic" and "gorilla."

Gy - Gor (juy-gore)
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Hold off on the votes in this thread, if you would.
    Adam Tyner is gonna hook us up with a main page poll to use for this.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Hold off on the votes in this thread, if you would.
    Adam Tyner is gonna hook us up with a main page poll to use for this.
    Thanks!
    Now you tell us!
    @joshcrawley

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Home of the only mechanical bull in San Diego...

http://doubledeucesd.com/p-1586-private-events.html
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Now you tell us!
    I know. Sorry.
    I meant to say something ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Home of the only mechanical bull in San Diego...

http://doubledeucesd.com/p-1586-private-events.html
    Is that downtown in the Gaslamp?
    If so... awesome!

EPISODE 021
    Fan Art of the Week: Chris Faccone's Fan Art
    Fan Site of the Week: Eternian Backgrounds
    Collectible of the Week: Merchandising > Minifigures and Miniatures > Gumball Machine Figures - Full set - Mixed colors

Discussion: She-Ra, Keldor, and Eternia MOTUC bios.

Items of Note:

I know. Sorry.
    I meant to say something ahead of time.
    That's okay, I'll just blame Tuukka's posting first as prompting me to post.
    @joshcrawley

Is that downtown in the Gaslamp?
    If so... awesome!
    Yep. About five minutes up from the Convention Center. A block or so away from the mall.

And yes... in the Doctor Who special "End of Time" the Master is phasing in and out and looks like a skeleton. When the Doctor references him to someone and they don't know who he is, he says, "The Master. Harold Saxon. Skeletor! Whatever you're calling him!"

And as for how to pronounce Dalek, to me, it sounds most like 'dah-lek'. But I guess you could say like there's a silent R in there.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Dan: you are correct: Panthor isn't Panthor without the flocking. I'll be getting this Panthor, but the flocked one will have to look very bad in order for me not to replace this unflocked one.

Totally in agreement. My vintage Panthor still has all his flocking (except for a little wear on his paws). My 200X Panthor has flocking. The whole point of a MOTUC Panthor should have been accomplishing the articulation with the flocking. I mean, the thing costs $30!!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    And, it seems to me, that they are replicating the vintage figures with more detail and articulation. Therefore, no flock is not exactly both emulating and improving to me. Give us the detail WITH the flock which is what made Panthor so unique and "vintage."

Now, since 1985, I've looked at this spread and the thought that pops into my mind is that these swords are nearly identical. There are slight differences, reflecting the fact he's a boy and she's a girl, but they are molded the same, and they are resonating with this energy that pulls them and their owners together. These swords seem to be two halves of the same thing.

Not to bring up a dead horse again, but it would have made sense that this one sword of He was split in two, so that the twins of power could both wield it in saving the universe. She-Ra's bio depicts their powers coming from the same fount, just manifested differently. The Eternia bio even states, "The sword was then split in two and hidden, awaiting a time when worthy heirs would reclaim it, channeling its power and their wisdom to transform into heroic Masters of the Universe, fulfilling the prophecy to defeat the Horde Empire and restore peace to the Universe." This seems to stand apart from the sword being divided to protect it from the forces of evil, creating the dark and light halves, and the cloning/manipulating (with the gem) to create the Sword of Protection.

It makes sense that the Elders would have divided the sword for the twins to use... also for them to divide it into good and evil halves... so why the need to add cloning into the mythos? And how do we now have two separate explanations for why the sword was divided?
    Last edited by Jon-O; October 14, 2010 at 01:11am.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    EPISODE 021

Fan Site of the Week: Eternian Backgrounds

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but awesome to see a second of my website's featured!

Loving the whole discussion on Panthor. But the thing I don't get with people complaining about Panthor not looking like a Panther. Why would he? He is not a Panther. This is Eternia and not Earth. He is a purple tiger like cat. Probably from the same group of cat similar to what Cringer is.

As for the flocking issue. Might have liked it as a kid. But I don't like it now. Glad it will not be on the figure. I have said it before with Moss Man. A decent paint job could do wonders and we saw how cool the unflocked Moss Man could have been. The same for Panthor!

The bio for the Map of Eternia and about the Prophecy of the Twins Warriors of the Great Prophecy. Just more to add to the large headache one can get when trying to figure out the story that Mattel is trying to tell for MOTUC. So if the sword was split in two for when the worthy heirs can claim it. Why was The Sword of Protection a cloned version of the Sword of He? And so if Adora isn't the one of Twins, Who is? All I can say is that I think who ever is writing these bios. It has to be done by multiple people cause so much of the info just does not mesh together! And Mattel needs to give us either more info on the Bios. Or how about putting expanded versions of the bios online. Maybe they could even just create the story and post it online for us to read. Cause as it's been said that we need to "Read the Bios" and reread the bios cause each bio will connect with previous bios doesn't work.

But in all, another great show! I'm finally glad I am caught up!
    Last edited by Marvelous0ne; October 14, 2010 at 02:53am.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

It makes sense that the Elders would have divided the sword for the twins to use... also for them to divide it into good and evil halves... so why the need to add cloning into the mythos? And how do we now have two separate explanations for why the sword was divided?
    Because Keldor and Adam as Skeletor and He-Man are Scott's new twins of power (and Scott IS the one writing these bios IMO... and they aren't all written, IMO), not Adam and Adora...

I hope I am wrong, but I think this is the major thing Scott keeps talking about when he says there is info in the bios that the "fans are all missing."

It almost seems that The Sword of Protection and She-Ra are just cloned extras in the MOTUC canon, and I find that offensive and disappointing not only as a POP fan, but a vintage MOTU fan.

Part of the problem is that many of us created stories for how He-Man and She-Ra and the swords would work at the launch of the line... it almost seems like Scott and his team read ALL of those theories and avoided ALL of them, just to be sure they didn't have to pay anyone (as if any of us would sue over that... how could we prove it?). I doubt that's what happened, but the fact that the split Sword of Power from the mini-comic canon wasn't somehow combined with the Sword of Power and Sword of Protection being two halves of one sword is beyond me...

Val, I loved "Keep reading the bios..." LOL!!

I just want to know which bios are going to explain all these loose ends... The Sorceress's bio is going to have to be a book.

That Eternia map bio was weak... it was built up as having all these secrets and nothing was revealed... even IF the theory that Skeletor and He-Man are the twins of power, it was still weak on secrets...
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 14, 2010 at 02:23am.

My head hurts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Loving the whole discussion on Panthor. But the thing I don't get with people complaining about Panthor not looking like a Panther. Why would he? He is not a Panther. This is Eternia and not Earth. He is a purple tiger like cat. Probably from the same group of cat similar to what Cringer is.
    I say it's the relative relationship scenario.
    Even though it's Eternia, we identify with it when we recognize the Earth comparison.
    And with jungle cats the differences are subtle so, IMO, the details have to be captured pretty closely in the sculpts to properly identify with the Earth animal.
    It doesn't mean it has to be. But, I understand why some folks are unhappy.

While I understand the concern with Panthor (the new headsculpt does hew a bit close to BC's), you can't really say he doesn't look like a panther. I mean, Buzz-Off doesn't look like a bee, Mosquitor doesn't look like a mosquito and Clawful doesn't look like a crab and nobody's out there with pitchforks over them either... Just seems like a bit of a weird expectation yannow?

4 more hours of work - then it's dinner time!

woo-hoo!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

*IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN*

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    While I understand the concern with Panthor (the new headsculpt does hew a bit close to BC's), you can't really say he doesn't look like a panther. I mean, Buzz-Off doesn't look like a bee, Mosquitor doesn't look like a mosquito and Clawful doesn't look like a crab and nobody's out there with pitchforks over them either... Just seems like a bit of a weird expectation yannow?
    It has more to do with Battle Cat's head being pretty accurate to a tiger,
    but Panthor's not being accurate to a panther,
    and the two looking somewhat similar in the end.

I think some folks just looked forward to finally having that distinctly different look between the cats now that such sculpting options are a possibility.

Technical problem with broadcast

I could not listen to the end of the broadcast due to some kind of error. The last that I heard was Emiliano talking about the lack of other information on the Eternia bio. Did anyone else have this problem? What was discussed after that point? There is probaably a good 5-10 minutes that was unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My head hurts again.
    Mine too, since I banged my head on the table after reading bcrduke's theory last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    I could not listen to the end of the broadcast due to some kind of error. The last that I heard was Emiliano talking about the lack of other information on the Eternia bio. Did anyone else have this problem? What was discussed after that point? There is probaably a good 5-10 minutes that was unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hmm, I haven't heard about that from anyone else.
    Did you download it, or try to play it directly via the Libsyn player online?

If it's the later, I'd give it another go, it may have just been a fluke.

I call him Gy (Guy) gor
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery