Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics and shipping restrictions... taking care in advance?

Electronics and shipping restrictions... taking care in advance?

Based on GB PKE meter shipping restrictions (it can't be shipped to Europe) due to safety requirements for electronic devices not accomplished by Mattel...

I wonder if Mattel plans to add electronic parts to some future items (diorama pieces, playsets or vehicles)... are we going, overseas fans, (if and when those items are released) to miss them?

GB PKE meter was produced first and checked the safety requirements after; when any change could be made (a week before sale date)...

Almost every safety requirement can be solved by adding a stiker (removable) on the item.

I would like to know what people think about this...

Do you think we are getting any items with electronics?

Would you accept some removable "safety warning stikers" in order to grant overseas shipping permission? (this question is a hard one for MOC collectors)

This does concern me - especially as Mattel has already hinted that next year's vehicle may contain electronics.

I certainly wouldn't mind a sticker added to the item, but then I open everything anyway. But seriously, with enough advance warning you would think that Mattel would be able to sort this out. I've bought plenty of electronic toys from the States and had them shipped to the UK. The Star Wars Episode 1 Naboo Cruiser being the largest example. Most of the branded toys at retail over here are identical to the US releases. No actual change has needed to be made to the item.

In the short term, I can just go to eBay for anything that Matty won't ship. But it's not a reasonable solution. This will become especially problematic if electronic items are ever part of the subscription. What will happen then? Bar foreign subscription orders? Just leave out the electronic items?

This is definitely something that needs to be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Mattel has already hinted that next year's vehicle may contain electronics.

This will become especially problematic if electronic items are ever part of the subscription. What will happen then? Bar foreign subscription orders? Just leave out the electronic items?
    That's exactly the kind of issues I fear... and I hope Mattel will address them before they happen...

Yes this is a problem, Mattel needs to solve it! Thanks for bringing up this topic.

i'm going to guess that the market for MOTUC is dominated by the USA and mattel will just figure that they'll take the hit of lost sales in order to make the product that they think will sell best to USA consumers. while i understand their point of view (they are a business out to make money), it will mean i stop collecting if i can't get something from MOTUC to the EU; as a completist, the day i can't get something (without going to ebay) is the day i quit this line.

as much as i want my bashasaurus to have lights, if it means i can't get it then i'd rather no lights at all! it is not like electronics are a feature of this line.

If I remember correctly the first King Grayskull had electronics and that was the reason why I was not able to order it. I hope that none of the future products will have electronics in them.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Actually I study miroelectronics and if they make some space inside the vehicle that can be accessed from the bottom it is not a problem for me to design my own circuits with LED lights and other action features. So it is OK to create some space for electronics for those who want to customize but it is not OK to put electronics inside directly. Because then it can not be shiped to Europe.

I asked Toyguru in November 8 about it. They should've known about this issue since it happened before with KG.
    Hopefully, they'll avoid electronics in MOTUC vehicles. Not cool to exclude half of the fans once again.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

As a fan who was forced to E-bay for King Grayskull, I'm concerned about how Mattel will handle this issue. I asked a question in the current round of WTFWTK. Hope it gets selected.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    They should've known about this issue since it happened before with KG.
    I am also concerned about it because they knew it since KG and they have done nothing to avoid the issue with the PKE meter.

wasn't one of this years SDCC items also not able to be shipped to Europe? If I remember correctly it was Plastic Man, and he had no electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    wasn't one of this years SDCC items also not able to be shipped to Europe? If I remember correctly it was Plastic Man, and he had no electronics.
    I got Plastic Man shipped to Spain....

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I think it was Australia, where they couldn't ship Plastic Man because of the kind of plastic used on him (or something like that).

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I know Mattel is not allowed to ship the PKE meter to Europe, but can NO ONE ship this item to Europe? I have a friend in the UK that I was going to send one to, but now I am worried. I shipped a King Grayskull (with Electronics) a few months ago and had no problems. Advice?
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Stupid question. If Mattel can't ship things with electronics overseas to Europe how can the same items (KG 1st release) be purchased on Ebay and sent? Is it a case of if the country actually opened the EBay package as part of a customs search and saw what it is they would destroy it or send it back to the sender?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousPuma View Post
    Stupid question. If Mattel can't ship things with electronics overseas to Europe how can the same items (KG 1st release) be purchased on Ebay and sent? Is it a case of if the country actually opened the EBay package as part of a customs search and saw what it is they would destroy it or send it back to the sender?
    Yeah, that is what I am pretty much asking in the previous post. I don't understand it either.

I think it has to do with export/import rules and laws that a company must accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Calderon View Post
    I think it has to do with export/import rules and laws that a company must accomplish.
    So, do you think an individual like myself can ship a PKE meter to my friend in the United Kingdom?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    So, do you think an individual like myself can ship a PKE meter to my friend in the United Kingdom?
    I'm sorry I can't tell you for sure.

i´ll give you my experience of having similiar stuff come to the netherlands; the law says no. but at the end of the day it comes down to the individual person that handles your package and if he/she looks at it and decides to open it or not.

a company like mattel can't get away with it because if even only a tiny percent were caught, then people would not have their items and companies generally get fined while the average person will just get a warning letter explaining the rules and have their item confiscated.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I don't know what the "rules and laws" are surrounding this exactly, but plenty of King Grayskulls were sold on ebay or via the marketplace here to people in other countries.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems shipping the items or getting into trouble for doing so.

I have no way of knowing for sure that you won't have any problem at all, but I would say that the odds of having one are fairly unlikely.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    the average person will just get a warning letter explaining the rules and have their item confiscated.
    Confiscated? It woouldn't just be returned to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I don't know what the "rules and laws" are surrounding this exactly, but plenty of King Grayskulls were sold on ebay or via the marketplace here to people in other countries.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems shipping the items or getting into trouble for doing so.

I have no way of knowing for sure that you won't have any problem at all, but I would say that the odds of having one are fairly unlikely.
    Yeah, that is how I feel, but want to make sure before I send one to my friend. I know KG's are sold on ebay to countries in Europe every day without problem.

Maybe just large companies like Mattel can't ship large quantities, but the average man can ship 1 to a friend as a gift?

Heroic Warrior
    I highly doubt Mattel will use NEMA standards (european code) for electrical products in the near future..this will have to go right through their development, parts, engineering, production, etc... it is very costly...

European wiring and NA wiring are compleltey different standards. When I build a MV drive for a European customer it is completely diff. from any NA drive I build for a customer...and that to a company to be that felxible is costly..but maybe they will look at the big picture and see the potential demand and do it...hope so!

Confiscated? It woouldn't just be returned to me?
    i can't speak for the UK, but that's my experience here in NL. i guess you'd also have to see what the policy of your postal service is on having undeliverable stuff sent back maybe?

as others have said it is highly unlikely that it will get the attention of anyone and be opened and specifically checked for its electronics; that's not exactly what they'd be looking for in your package if they opened it

Quote Originally Posted by mike122976 View Post
    I highly doubt Mattel will use NEMA standards (european code) for electrical products in the near future..this will have to go right through their development, parts, engineering, production, etc... it is very costly...
    What you say seems reasonable, but that doesn't explain the multitude of electonic products produced by Mattel that are already on sale in the European Union. My local Toys R Us is packed with Hot Wheels, Matchbox and wrestling figures many of which have light and sound.

Are we assuming that these items are built to a different specification for the European Market than they are for the US market? Wouldn't that be a terrible duplication of effort?

The UK and the EU standard for electric toys isn't the same as the international one. But wouldn't it make more sense for a company to produce an item that conforms to the strictest standard if that item (be it a Power Ranger, a Transformer or a Mattel toy) is going to be sold internationally?

Not all electronic Transformers are on sale in the EU, but many are. Surely Hasbro wouldn't build the ones they sell in the US and the EU to a different standard to the ones that would only get a US sale. Wouldn't that be more hassle that it was worth? Shouldn't Mattel take the same approach?

And is, therefore, the problem not with the way the PKE meter has been put together, but the simply the documentation that comes with it? And we just need the stickers that Calderon mentioned?

Of course, I don't know. I hope that Toyguru gives a full answer to this question.

I think you'll be absolutely fine. There are so many electronic goods flying around the world from eBay alone that the chances of anyone stopping the parcel is remote. Mark the item as a gift and you'll be okay.

You might want to make sure that the PKE meter can't be accidentally turned on by being knocked or jostled. I suspect that a beeping parcel has little chance of reaching its destination in these times!