Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Taking apart Roboto's shoulders

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,532

    Taking apart Roboto's shoulders

    ***PICS ADDED***

    I discovered a surprise.

    The backwards shoulders are MARKED incorrectly with an L and an R on the sides they were assembled on.

    The actual right shoulder has an L on it and vice versa.
    So, the workers actually assembled it properly. The error was in the tooling.

    ***PICS ADDED***


    HERE YOU CAN SEE THE SHOULDERS HAVE BEEN CORRECTED WITH THE CIRCUIT NOW FACING FRONT.


    THIS PHOTO SHOWS THAT THE ACTUAL LEFT SHOULDER IS MARKED WITH AN "R" CIRCLED IN RED.


    LIKEWISE THE ACTUAL RIGHT SHOULDER IS MARKED WITH AN "L" CIRCLED IN RED.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; October 20, 2010 at 01:56pm.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  2. #2
    Sad Eternian Jester nanoFatato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    522
    now THIS is unexpected
    Great find Skeletortilla!

  3. #3
    Master of the Arashikage J_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,206
    So we were Matty'd and not China'd?
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

    My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,362



    Do you have pics?
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,532

    Pics added

    Pics are now in the first post...
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Flor2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    MINNEAPOLIS
    Posts
    3,520
    But is it supposed to be "our" right and left while looking at him, or "his" right and left?

  7. #7
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    But is it supposed to be "our" right and left while looking at him, or "his" right and left?
    I think they got confused because of this.

    Skeletortilla...does your Roboto have a large crack on his torso?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  8. #8
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Skeletortilla...does your Roboto have a large crack on his torso?
    Yeah, I see it, too in that first pic. It looks like there is a crack in the "belly" area.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

    Skeletortilla...does your Roboto have a large crack on his torso?
    Yep. That's why I Frankensteined that one. He also has some chunky dirt or something stuck in the paint all over his head, and his left leg is missing the knee pin.

    Now THAT'S quality! I'm debating if I want to spend half an hour on the phone with some guy in India trying to get a replacement.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,703
    I love me some detective work! You guys are awesome. I feel like I'm watching "CSI: Special MOTU Defects Unit". Too bad about the cracked torso though. That's not cool.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  11. #11
    Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Yep. That's why I Frankensteined that one. He also has some chunky dirt or something stuck in the paint all over his head, and his left leg is missing the knee pin.

    Now THAT'S quality! I'm debating if I want to spend half an hour on the phone with some guy in India trying to get a replacement.

    Wow, what a disaster! That sucks man!

    And that's a very interesting discovery you made on the shoulders!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    I love me some detective work! You guys are awesome. I feel like I'm watching "CSI: Special MOTU Defects Unit". Too bad about the cracked torso though. That's not cool.
    The cracked torso is the least of that figure's problems. He's a friggin train wreck.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,209
    Thanks for taking your figure apart and posting these pics Skeletortilla. Hopefully this will help Toyguru's team identify the problem and correct these mistakes on the reissue.

  14. #14
    son of Xemnoss Xetheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lots of different places
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    I love me some detective work! You guys are awesome. I feel like I'm watching "CSI: Special MOTU Defects Unit". Too bad about the cracked torso though. That's not cool.
    "CSI: Special MOTU Defects Unit"

    I love that...but it's true...the people here on the board are really great...much better than the people over at Matty...that's for sure!

    Since I do not have a 2010 sub but had 2009 and have 2011 I check a trillion times on the boards before purchasing my two figs of each character...due to the reports here I skipped Roboto although I was REALLY looking forward to him.

    So the first suspect were our fellow men over in China BUR NOW I see that the suspect is working over at Mattel...damn who the hell messed that up? More evidences...were are getting closer to close the case and capture the delinquent!

    That is bad for the reissue, now they have to tell them to put the left one right and the right one left...what they did on the first issue but on the second one they have to do it the other way...so the wrong way will make it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Now I do not expect anything good from the reissue cos that would make me confused as a factory worker as well if I am not too deep into MOTUC as some folks are here...

    ...can't Mattel offer a job to one of the .org detectives?

    Thanx for taking the fig apart...would not dare that, but great some are brave enough!

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Okro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    350
    Do you mind posting more pics all the way around the shoulder in order to help us (fixing contemplators) "visualize" the repair?
    I like all the figs, except the ones I don't.

    My WANT/TRADE LIST

  16. #16
    Beastly Moss Man bobshumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    330
    Wait, the "L" is on shoulder is on his right side and the "R" is on his left side. Shouldn't it be the other way around, with the L and R matching the figures right and left arms?

    It still seems like the factory screwed up to me.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,338
    Quote Originally Posted by bobshumway View Post
    Wait, the "L" is on shoulder is on his right side and the "R" is on his left side. Shouldn't it be the other way around, with the L and R matching the figures right and left arms?

    It still seems like the factory screwed up to me.

    He has corrected the shoulders and took then the pictures.

    And positioned in their right place, you can see they`re marked wrong.

  18. #18
    Beastly Moss Man bobshumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    He has corrected the shoulders and took then the pictures.

    And positioned in their right place, you can see they`re marked wrong.
    Ahhhh, I see. Didn't read the whole post.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior CobraKaiDojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    170
    It probably would have been more effective to stamp an arrow pointing to which way it faces the front, rather than the more ambiguous "L" and "R."

    **Facepalm**
    -"You want me to drive?!!"
    -"Hey, it's the 80's!"

  20. #20
    Greg at your service AnnnaMot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Posts
    3,679
    now how do you switch the shoulders?

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    now how do you switch the shoulders?
    You will have to take the chest pieces apart to switch them.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  22. #22
    Greg at your service AnnnaMot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    You will have to take the chest pieces apart to switch them.
    dont tell me i have to drill ?

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior suckator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    394
    I took apart my roboto just a half hour ago. All I had to do was remove the head and gently pry him apart with a small flathead screwdriver starting at the neck and shoulders. He popped right open. There are small pegs that hold him together. I swapped the shoulders and resealed him all within 5 minutes. No drill required! Just a dab of super glue at the small pegs near the shoulders. Super easy!! You can't even tell he was opened!

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by suckator View Post
    I took apart my roboto just a half hour ago. All I had to do was remove the head and gently pry him apart with a small flathead screwdriver starting at the neck and shoulders. He popped right open. There are small pegs that hold him together. I swapped the shoulders and resealed him all within 5 minutes. No drill required! Just a dab of super glue at the small pegs near the shoulders. Super easy!! You can't even tell he was opened!
    Or do what mine did. Just have him fall off your desk.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  25. #25
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    ***PICS ADDED***

    I discovered a surprise.

    The backwards shoulders are MARKED incorrectly with an L and an R on the sides they were assembled on.

    The actual right shoulder has an L on it and vice versa.
    So, the workers actually assembled it properly. The error was in the tooling.

    ***PICS ADDED***
    Interesting....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •