Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential loose figure display cases

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar

Potential loose figure display cases

I just bought these off of Ebay and I think they look absolutely fantastic. It totally has the vintage card look that I've wanted for MOTUC but have so far been unable to attain.

What does everybody think?

**Please read and follow forum rules on posting links to active ebay auctions.**
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

I like them and the fact that it comes with the background art (on a CD) is cool. Not going to be buying them at this time, but good to know they are out there. This thread should be in the Marketplace though since it links to an active auction.

BTW, love the Teela with the She-Ra outfit on.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put it. It sort of sounds like they're always for sale though. But they are awesome. I asked the seller for a template so I can make my own for NA, PoP, 200X and Powers of Grayskull.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    awesome! but I doubt it would hold any figures with huge capes, or ANY capes for that matter. Good to protect frail figures like the goddess though!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    awesome! but I doubt it would hold any figures with huge capes, or ANY capes for that matter. Good to protect frail figures like the goddess though!
    So you know there is a person on Ebay selling cloth capes suitable for Teela (white w/sparkles), Goddess (white w/sparkles), Skeletor (purple), Keldor (purple), and Evil Lyn (black), as well as a blue vintage style robe for King Randor.

I plan on duplicating his style and creating capes for She-Ra, Chief Carnivus (maybe also a front loin cover), Scareglow, Count Marzo, a red one that looks like the one Teela wore in the UK comics, Hordak, a red one (flocked if I can figure it out) and a seperate brown one for King Grayskull (maybe a white/blue sparkly one for his spirit of grayskull variant), a long blue one for Randor, and new cape designs for future MOTUC releases. Oh yeah, a big red one for Gygor, too!

EDIT: Can someone please PM me with info about how I can get those cases?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; October 21, 2010 at 12:20pm.

Yeah, they are awesome. I plan on trying to fit the figures with capes into them. Might boil them and reshape them so they fit closer to form. Hopefully I can get the template and make more card backs.

Would people be interested in PoP, NA or Power of Grayskull ones?

Heroic Warrior
    where are the links for the capes and the cases.

Ebay, search for 'MOTU CLASSICS Figure Protective Clam Shell Case'

The seller says, for certain figures you have to remove parts of the armour to fit into these cases. Look at MAA's picture, the back of his armour is on the bottom of the case!

The backgrounds are cool, but you have to print 'em yourself. And why would you first open a figure to put it back in a different package

Intriguing, but I already spend too much $ $ $ on this line. I like keeping my loose figures loose. Haven't you seen Toy Story 2?

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    And why would you first open a figure to put it back in a different package
    Just because I open my figures, doesn't mean I don't want them protected. And like MldMnrdReporter said, this gives them the vintage look that many of us have wanted.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

I will change my avatar as soon as Imp is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    Just because I open my figures, doesn't mean I don't want them protected. And like MldMnrdReporter said, this gives them the vintage look that many of us have wanted.
    True, the vintage look is indeed nice, but you need a very good printer to make it look good + a lot of cartridges for an entire collection...

Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    True, the vintage look is indeed nice, but you need a very good printer to make it look good + a lot of cartridges for an entire collection...
    Considering how much money most of us have already dedicated to this line I'm fairly certain people wouldn't have a problem bringing the disc or thumb drive to a print shop.

Also, Man-At-Arms back armor is off because the weapons are still attached to it. Put them in the bottom of the package like the others and I bet that it'll fit.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MldMnrdReporter View Post
    Considering how much money most of us have already dedicated to this line I'm fairly certain people wouldn't have a problem bringing the disc or thumb drive to a print shop.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

I will change my avatar as soon as Imp is made in MOTUC

I know if needed that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Those look really nice!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

I bought four of them from the guy on Ebay and was really unimpressed with the art files that were included on the disc that came with the shells.

I made a new design and took some pictures of the finished product. I plan on making a photoshop file with tons of printable shell art. I may enlist some other artists depending on peoples' interest to make the most complete file possible with She-Ra, New Adventures of He-Man, MOTU Classics, foreign card art, etc. Please let me know what you think!

The design features all of the same text used in the original card art, including the "No. 5040" relocated to the top of the Mattel logo to add an additional level of authenticity. The positioning of the logos is more accurate to the original packaging. I left out the punch hole, but I did add it to the Photoshop file.

You will notice that in my second image I packaged He-Man with one of my miniature mini comics! I also used a little zip lock bag (the same bags you get when you receive your orders from Spymonkey Creations) to hold He-Man's accessories and comic. Another throwback to the original series.

Last edited by AdultCollector; October 25, 2010 at 10:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I made a new design
    Well done! Love your work on this. Maybe you can upload the files to somewhere you fellow he-fans can download them from?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Those are fantastic. Can you send me a link?

Where do I get these?
    They are awesome!

AdultCollector and I bought them off a guy on EBay. His listing is gone now for now though. He said he'd re-list in a few weeks.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    wow i dont get why people would take them out just to put them back in another case and pay for it and waist the time to print it out

If the figures actually came on a card like that I would buy two of each instead of one.

I'm in communication with the guy selling the cases. I'll let you know what comes out of that.
    It will take a lot more work to produce every version of the vintage cards. Especially if I want the file to include both front and back. Should I start a thread in the custom forum and get other peoples' help to generate the needed content? Please let me know what you guys think.

AnnnaMot, some collectors like to display their figures in the original packaging, but by doing so they are unable to open the figures without ruining the packaging. The reverse is true. Once you open the package, you can't reseal the package, it's either one or the other. These custom clam shells allow you the best of both worlds. Buying the clam shell is far cheaper than buying a second figure in order to have the choice of displaying the figure on card or loose. Also a single shell can be used with any figure, and to me and others there is the joy of expressing one's creativity. As a business student, I know that this level of customization gives an added value to all of Mattel's products. This is evidenced by the dozens of artists who spend many hours creating custom figures and accessories, and is why there is a thriving market for such product offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    wow i dont get why people would take them out just to put them back in another case and pay for it and waist the time to print it out
    Last edited by AdultCollector; October 26, 2010 at 04:34pm.

Honestly it'd be fairly easy to make cards for every figure if it's all in a PSD file. You'd just need to change the text per card. I'd like to see New Adventure and PoP cards though for figures from those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    If the figures actually came on a card like that I would buy two of each instead of one.
    Same here. I find this custom packaging a lot more vibrant and exciting than the current MOTUC packaging.