Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: exactly, what do you want to see in a movie motu?

exactly, what do you want to see in a movie motu?

I'm a little confused

the number of different opinions from fans about that should be a motu movie is amazing . transformation, no transformation, adam, no adam , dark, funny, much muscle, little muscle. different desing, traditional desing,etc etc .

so i ask you

....exactly, what do you want to see in a movie motu
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; October 26, 2010 at 12:14am.

Heroic Warrior
    What I don't want to see is a He-Man movie without Adam, Orko or the Sword transformation sequence. Please no "Power Armour", No realistic justification for He-Man, No sequences on Earth. He-man comes from a world with both Magic and Science. Not one or the other. that's it. I think the "The Beginning" movie from the 200X series would be a perfect basis for the movie with some added homages to the original show, the 1987 movie and even the mini-comics and maybe even a hint of Adora/She-Ra for a sequel.
    Last edited by Tallestblue; October 26, 2010 at 12:52am.

Could be off here, way off, but expand the 87 movie minus earth.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUFan1985 View Post
    Could be off here, way off, but expand the 87 movie minus earth.
    I wouldn't have a problem with that(although Battle Cat has to be in this movie). While it didn't contain Prince Adam(although technically neither did the original mini-comics) and all of the costumes were changed, 1987's movie was a lot more faithful to its original source material than either of the Transformers movies or G.I. Joe were.

As for what I want, I'd like to see Prince Adam who transforms into He-Man, a muscular He-Man but not a steroid case, Skeletor who has a skull for a face & not a mask, costumes that are pretty close to their classic look, and none of this "villains use technology & heroes use magic"(everyone uses both, imo, on Eternia). I'm also going to copy & paste what I said in another thread...

I want Masters Of The Universe to be the next Star Wars(original trilogy that is)!

I know every fantasy/sci-fi/superhero movie since 1977 has been touted as the next Star Wars, but I want it to be true this time.

* It appeals to kids & adults
    * Has humor in it without getting scatological or becoming a parody
    * Is full of action & drama as well as a sense of fun
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 26, 2010 at 05:36pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I want a movie that is well made, thoughtful, epic, and not plauged by the typical brain numbing, trash we often get.

I want Eternia to be a world of science and sorcery, where anything can happen, and does. I want characters that are well written. Skeletor's minions have to be fearsome and awe inspiring, not jibbering idiots. Orko has to to be stoic and mysterious, and not a blathering clumsy fool. I want the absolute best of the characters, with the material suited for 3-8 year olds left in the world of Filmation.

Basically, I want a movie that is not Transformers(with over emphasis on ridiculous human characters that are irrelevant to the core characters) and not GI Joe (where the origins of characters are changed to lend to some unneccessary love story). It has to be mature, void of juvenile potty humor, and just plain awesome.

I want to leave the movie with the same feeling I had after watching The Matrix, LOTR, Harry Potter 2-5, the X-Men triology, The Watchmen, Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith, or any other great comic/action movie. And when I rewatch it 6 months later, I want it to have that same lasting appeal.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 27, 2010 at 12:41am.

I don't have any real expectations or wants from the movie, but hopefully if they can find a team that's as respectful to and passionate about the property as the team that did the '87 movie, then give it a modern blockbuster budget with modern SFX technology, I think it would be next to impossible to go wrong.
    Last edited by fantombe; October 27, 2010 at 01:22pm.

I want a movie that shows the origins of the main characters. Maybe the beggining could show the icons of evil tales, Keldor attacks the hall of wisdom and reall y just do what 200x did with the beggining... minus Mer mans giant fish!

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I don't have any real expectations or wants from the movie, but hopefully if they can find a team that's as respectful to and passionate about the property as the team that did the '87 movie, then give it a modern blockbuster budget with modern SFX technology, I think it would be next to impossible to go wrong.
    This is KEY... a team that is Respectful AND Passionate about MOTU. Otherwise we'd get crap like Bayformers.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

i want to see a pg 13 film ,dark (but not way too dark) with adam/he-man ,i want tranformation but i would like it to be new and different.

,,,and definitely i want a love story between adam and teela ,it's time for them to "materialize".
    my god they are flirting since 30 years ago.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; October 29, 2010 at 07:41pm.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I want a motu movie that will not suck.

I can honestly see this as a trilogy if done right.

Movie 1: Origins of He-Man, the Power of Grayskull, the Royal Family, the Masters and Skeletor and his evil warriors.

Movie 2: Skeletor's quest for Grayskull is thwarted by He-Man and the Masters which reluctantly forces him to ask for Hordak's help in conquering Eternia.

Movie 3: Updated version of the "Secret of the Sword" where in the end, He-Man and She-Ra together put an end to Skeletor and Hordak. And with peace on Etheria and Eternia, the royal family can be whole again.

THE END LOL
    I'm a huge MOTU fan and am learning more and more about the MOTU franchise the more I come to this site.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    I think making this movie into a trilogy, with the basic plot ideas of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in mind, then this could be a very good movie. That is, of course, dependent upon just how the characters are portrayed. I want this movie to be very loyal to the established cannon. I don't want any major changes to the characters, a little bit of color dulling in some areas would be fine, but they should all still have the same basic colors. I would like it to be able to appeal to both child and adult, which is not hard to do, as Hollywood used to do it all the time. I think that new technology that can put pounds of musculature upon digital images should be used for this, as I don't think we can find a super-muscular man that can act well enough to play the roll of He-Man. He-Man needs to be big and muscular, as to really everyone. I would like to see Battle Cat, as well as Orko.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I hope the movie will take place on Eternia!
    Eternia should be divided by the light and the dark hemisphere.

I also hope the characters to stay close to their origins and designs.
    For example; Skeletor must have a skeleton face, Tri-Klops the visor, etc.

Their designs have a decent amount of similarities throughout most of the media we've gotten so far (with the exception of the 1987 movie).

It should at the very least contain He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Battle Cat for the Heroic Warriors
    and Skeletor, Evil Lyn, Beastman, Tri-Klops for the Evil Warriors.

I don't really have a preference regarding a transformation. I'll rather be surprised what they have chosen in that regard.

I guess that's pretty much it, there isn't a whole lot to expect from a live action movie. It's either a "don't fix what isn't broken" mistake or a huge nod and respectful interpretation.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

A film that pays homage and respect to its original roots, yet isn’t afraid to go off in its own direction.

Obviously, having it entirely set on Eternia is a must. Even the writer said when asked about the original film and Earth to wipe that from your minds. So I think even the makers share this view.

I would like the first film to be completely self-contained. It’s got to have a clear beginning, middle and end. I don’t want the promise and the necessity for further films to understand some big arc. The reason being, that would be both embarrassing and annoying if the film turns out to be a flop, and thus, has no sequel. So no Rise of Cobra rubbish. Make it a completely stand-alone affair. Then if it’s a success, we can get our sequel with the promise of a bigger arc.

Character-wise, I wouldn’t want too many, as I want them all to get their own moments. Keep it small and intimate. Plus, we don’t want a Spider-Man 3 or X-Men 3. I was thinking about five on each side, but that wouldn’t include the Sorceress, Orko, Battle-Cat, Panthor or the King and Queen. These are all separate. And Battle-Cat goes hand in hand with He-Man, as Panthor does with Skeletor.

Heroes: Adam/He-Man, Teela, Man-at-Arms, Ram-Man, Mekenek.
    Villains: Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops.

About Skeletor. I want Skeletor to be scary, first and foremost. I’m not a huge Harry Potter fan, but I do like the way they’ve handled Voldermort. I want Skeletor to be portrayed as the bogeyman of Eternia, with a wicked sense of humour. Not the hapless buffoon of the cartoons. That goes for all the other bad guys, too. I want them to be evil, and I want the heroes to be heroic.

About the look. I want Eternia to look like a real, live-in world. At the same time I want it to look like a truly otherworldly place. I think Pandora was great. Something like that. I want the trees and plants to look utterly alien, like the Filmation series. I think the Filmation Eternia is tens times better than the MYP Eternia. I like pantomime-like qualities in my fantasy films. So I would like the good places to look bright and friendly, and the bad places to look dark and foreboding.

In terms of the story, I don’t even know. I guess they’ll come up with something that puts Adam/He-Man in a situation where he’ll have to rise up and fulfil his destiny, or something like that. Basically, pretty much like a typical superhero film in a way. Obviously, make it a good, old fashioned good vs. evil romp.

Furthermore, I just want a good film. I’m a sci-fi/fantasy fan in general. I will judge this as a fantasy film first and foremost, then as a MOTU film. I think it would be unfair to do it the other way around. So, I just want a good film.

Widget
    The things I would like to see:
    1 - A beginning to the story: How Skeletor came to be, how Prince Adam got the sword, etc. I thought the 2000's cartoon gave a great background story. I'd like to see a movie stay close to or expand upon that.
    2 - Appearances by the major players. The 1980's live action film had too few characters for my taste, although I did like the ones they added. Aside from the givens (He-Man & Skeletor), a movie would need to include: Man-At-Arms, Teela, Cringer/Battle-Cat, King Randor, Queen Marlena, Sorceress, Stratos, Ram-Man, Evil-Lyn, Beast-Man, Mer-Man, Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops. I wouldn't mind a few bonuses thrown in like Fisto, Buzz-Off, Mekaneck, Clawful and Whiplash. And, with apologies to the haters, I'd really like a CGI-Orko included too.
    3 - I would prefer the story to stay on Eternia. If there are any ventures to other worlds, I would prefer that world be Etheria in a later film.

Things I would NOT like to see:
    1 - (I know I mentioned this in another post, but after reading that leaked script I feel very strongly about it) Prince Adam is NOT a brooding hero. A reluctant hero, yes, but not a Bruce Wayne/Twilight pouty-boy. I know 13-year olds today think brooding is cool. I don't.
    2 - A major character killed 5-minutes into the movie (yes, that is another shot at the script that got leaked. It was just plain terrible).
    3 - Either a G-rating or an R-rating. I don't want it to be overly dark, overly bloody and humorless any more than I want it to be a Barney-loving campfest. PG or PG-13 is about the right treatment for this. As others have mentioned, LOTR is a good example for the right tone. Serious, but with occasional doses of humor. 300 is not a movie to model this after.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I think that it'd be neat if Dolph Lungren had a cameo in the new movie, as King Grayskull, for a flashback, or something.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    I want a movie that follows the source material - not a major change in locations, characters, and enemies. - I don't really mind the 87 movie but even when it was new it wasn't really "He-Man".

I actually thought this fan-made teaser was pretty interesting:
    *** Please follow the forum rules about YouTube links. Thanks! ***
    - it seemed to "actualize" some of the stuff from the 20XX show.

Honestly, in the 1980's (and still today) I enjoyed movies like Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, The Beastmaster, and some of the Highlander movies and would probably be satisfied with a movie along those lines - as the 1987 movie was too "modern".

I would be ok with a mixture of both original and 20XX series' and as someone else said, maybe it could be based around "The Beginning", though I think it would make the most sense to have a younger person playing Adam and an older person playing He-Man with He-Man being bigger, stronger and having the majority of screen-time.

In the end, I bet I would just enjoy seeing anything MOTU on the "big-screen" as long as it's open-ended enough to support a logical sequel or 2

Widget
    What I would like is something that relates to the early cartoons we all have fond memories of. While the movie should have it's own style we should still be able to instantly recognise all of the characters. I saw something mentioned about the writers being worried about all these different people and how different they look and how they fit into the Masters of the Universe world. I don't see that as being an issue really.

It should start off with a bit of back story. Just something short and sweet. The movie must have Adam transforming into He-Man and that should be the first "big" scene and if done properly it could be awesome. It should include Cringer transforming into Battle Cat as well.

Also, Orko has to be involved. If the movie concentrates on the core characters from both sides like Adam/He-Man, Sorceress, Cringer/Battle Cat, Man-at-Arms, Orko, Teela and Skeletor, Panthor, Beast Man, Mer Man, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops and Evil Lyn with cameo appearances from others like Stratos, Clawful and Whiplash then these parts could have a bigger role in future movies.

I would see it as a 3 movie arc/journey but with key closures at the end of each. If the first movie is a success then it would lead on to more. The first has to focus on the key characters and He-Man vs Skeletor battle.

It also has to appeal to the new generation. It will pull in a lot of older people because, well, it's He-Man but it should be done as the sort of movie a father would take his son to see. Harry Potter has done well by pulling in the older and younger audiences.

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    I would love to see a new MOTU movie using the Filmation version of all the environments. The jungles, forest, and mountains. They were so bizarre, and wonderful to watch. There has got to be an Adam, no character should be left out. They simply have to be scripted cleverly. I always wanted to see rain fall, wind kick up and the sky turn black for a moment when Adam transformed into He Man. Personally I would love to see Battle Cat talk. No one said he should sound like a smurf. I want a drooling, snarling beast of a cat. I want his voice to boom!! But most importantly I just want this movie to happen... please.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    It has to be written and directed by people who get it, and who understand the mythos. They should use the well-known and beloved Michael Halperin canon as the basis and go from there. Of course, you can interpret Halperin in different ways (DC comics, Filmation and MYP are all different in tone). Eternia needs to be a place of mystery and wonder. Ideally, for me, the film should should have the "heart" of Filmation and the action of MYP. The look should be an evocative blend of classic imagery. For example, some areas of Eternia should look mysterious and elemental like the vintage box art, and some should look lush and verdant like the Evergreen forest in Filmation and MYP. I think the overall tone should still be kid-friendly, but also accessible and interesting for adults. There should be a blend of fun moments, dark moments, exciting moments, humorous moments, and scary moments. The story should be meaningful, and they really need to get the character of He-Man right for it to work. I'd like to see He-Man depicted as preternaturally powerful and skilled. He should know how to engage in battle when need be. But he should also have a sense of warmth and humor about him. He-Man is a great warrior, but he is also very kind-hearted and has a charismatic personality.

~Penny~

Heroic Warrior
    Its OK with some Orko magic-gone-wrong......just dont overdo it
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    I think that it'd be neat if Dolph Lungren had a cameo in the new movie, as King Grayskull, for a flashback, or something.
    Stranger things have happened:

Have you heard anything about the new "Masters of the Universe" movie?

Dolph: No, I haven't. I heard some rumors, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Would you do a cameo?

Dolph: Yeah, I guess I can slip on the outfit again (laughs).

I doubt this will happen but if the movie would be done according to what I want to see, I have to say that I would want it based on the early Mini-Comics (Miniternia stuff so to say). I want a gritty, rough, "modern" sword-n-sorcery tale with both magic and some weird science and an action drenched tour-de-force.
    As for the characters: Man-At-Arms is a must surely. He should be portraited as a cigar somking bad-ass fighter with the knack for inventing big weapons but also a strong force in hand-to-hand combat.
    Trap-Jaw and Beast Man are must-haves, too. it would be great if they could somehow incorporate (maybe as pointed out in forms of a trilogy) Hordak & Co. where I would love to see a disgustingly transforming Modulok as well as Leech and Mosquitor.

I don't have any concrete ideas for a story but I know which setting/atmosphere I would love to see: dark, gritty, bloody, based for adults. I enjoyed the fluffiness of the Filmation stuff as a kid but now I want sth for my dirty mind, hehe...

edit: Another great thing however would be if the script writers would take Mosquitor's "Encyclopedia" (in the Fan fiction section) as a strong inspiration. That stuff is huge and truly epic! In that way I could tolerate an Adam...
    Last edited by bulletrider; January 5, 2011 at 06:07am.
    my 80s nostalgia blog... click for some blast to the past:
    Wunderbare80er - Eighties Nostalgia

'Cause there's thunder in your heart
    Every move is like a lightning
    It's the power you feel when you get your taste of the glory
    There's a fire gonna start
    and you know they're going under
    you can light the dark when they hear your heart of thunder.

The movie should be Classics style. Done similarly to "Avatar" (animation style) to capture the generic muscular look of the 80's toys.. And of course the story should start way back in Preternia.

Heroic Warrior kinggreyskull2011's Avatar
    - A Dolph cameo as King Greyskull

- Ummm it's gotta have a sexier Teela than in the 80s movie...

- At least x12 beloved classic characters from the original cartoon / comics.

- Hopefully it'll be either a dark PG-13 movie or preferably M/MA rated...

And this time pleeeeaaaaase set it ALL on Eternia!

That's all I ask for lol