Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: exactly, what do you want to see in a movie motu?

Heroic Warrior
    A MOTU movie needs to be more adult (PG-13) oriented. Similar to the lines of Lord of the Rings and the new batman movies.

The characters need to look/remain true to their physical designs, but not have clumsy/silly personalities like in the cartoons.

The heros need to be strong, brave, and people we would like to aspire to. The villians need to be dark, scary, and evil (like Lord of the Rings).

The story should focus on He-man Vs. Skeletor. I like the idea of following the beginning story from the 200x cartoon series.

No offense to anyone, but the 1980's movie sucked. The biggest problem with this movie is it didn't remain true to most of the he-man story.

Widget
    OK, time for the newb to put pen to paper, or more appropriately, finger to keyboard.

What I personally would like to see is some of that 80's heart, I agree with Stinger78 that it should capture the magic of movies like Conan and Beastmaster (which I know was pre-80's, but still). I think that He-Man should most definitely have muscles that most people can only dream about, because really, that was part of the awesomeness of the characters and the action figures.
    I believe that they should keep the humour natural and well written, without trying to force out purile and pointless humour wherever they can. Keep it clever.
    The heroic characters as well as the baddies need to have their flaws, that is what will make them interesting to the non-fans.
    Sensible use of CGI would be great, but this does NOT need to be Avatar (and hence should not need a 2 billion dollar CGI budget). Use it *only* where needed, ie. Battlecat and Orko.
    An intelligent use of a "cameo" moral lesson would be fun... but it has to be subtly done, and mostly for insider enjoyment.
    Please, for the love of He-Man... let's NOT find out that Teela is his sister...

Lastly, keep Michael Bay at bay... if he wants to direct this I want a show of hands for an assassination attempt, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggreyskull2011 View Post
    - At least x12 beloved classic characters from the original cartoon / comics.
    Personally I think you'd be better if you cut it down to about 3-4 of the main characters on each side. Do just a few characters, and do them well.

If you chuck to many in for the sake of having them in there, you end up with the Street Fighter movie. Or worse, Mortal kombat Annihilation!

He-man has to be the most muscular guy they can get (that alone will bring in half the audience), and yet Skeletor's character needs to steal the show (kinda like the Joker in the movies) An incompletely serious side to Skeletor contributed a lot to making the filmation show the hit it was (That laugh is still a classic).
    How do you like that, hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyezon4 View Post
    I can honestly see this as a trilogy if done right.

Movie 1: Origins of He-Man, the Power of Grayskull, the Royal Family, the Masters and Skeletor and his evil warriors.

Movie 2: Skeletor's quest for Grayskull is thwarted by He-Man and the Masters which reluctantly forces him to ask for Hordak's help in conquering Eternia.

Movie 3: Updated version of the "Secret of the Sword" where in the end, He-Man and She-Ra together put an end to Skeletor and Hordak. And with peace on Etheria and Eternia, the royal family can be whole again.

THE END LOL
    I agree with this except I think the 2nd movie should have the snakemen as the main villains and a story similar to that of the 200X cartoon.
    I think dark and gritty is the way to go yet humourous at times (not bayformers humour though)
    and stay as true to the original designs of the characters as possible and dont be afraid of colors just dont make em to bright.

This might sound crazy, but I actually want the Snake Men to make an appearance. They deserve it.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Well things that I think must be in the movie.

The movie must take place exclusively on Eternia (I'm O.K. with Queen Marlena being from
    Earth I just don't want Earth to be a focal point).

I want Prince Adam to be a separate character from He-Man.

Skeletor must not just be wearing a skull mask.

Magic and technology must be used by both sides not one or the other.

A transformation sequence.

He-Man must be a big buff Barbarian-type Hero.

Battle Cat Must also be in the movie (I'm O. K. with him talking if that is the way they want to go, but he must not be comic relief. I want a ferocious Battle Cat).

He-Man must perform some amazing feats of strength (as long as they fit into the context of the story and aren't just there to showcase He-Man's strength).

Panthor must also be in the movie (and not as some cyborg creation).

Characters that must be in the movie: Man-At-Arms, Teela, King Randor, Queen Marlena, and Sorceress. On the Villain's side You need Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops.

Other characters id also like to see (But I'll be fine if they aren't in the first movie) are: On The Heroes side. Fisto, Stratos, Clamp Champ, and Ram Man. On the Villain's side: Jitsu, Ninjor, Mer-Man, Whiplash, and Two-Bad.

Things that I hope are in the movie but are not necessarily a given:

An incredible battle between Battle Cat and Panthor.

An appearance by Zodak or Zodac if handled right could be really cool.

As many others have said, a flashback cameo by Dolph Lundgren as King Grayskull would be great.

It would also be great to see Anthony De Longis as Blade (Perhaps as a mentor/trainer to Tri-Klops) would be another thing I'd enjoy.

As for the movie overall (like may other have said) I want an Epic, serious minded Fantasy/Sci-Fi adventure, with some occasional tasteful humor to keep the intensity from becoming too much (The way Independence Day did) I feel a PG-13 ratting is what is needed to tell the story that everyone wants to see.
    Last edited by SimbasGuard; March 18, 2011 at 05:45pm.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

I don't want all characters to be able kick ass as much as he-man. It happens way too often in Hollywood, 8 year olds kicking Velosor Raptors in the head etc. In the cartoon there's a definite heirachy; Teela is good at fighting, but there's a limit, she shouldn't be able to fall 50 feet and hang off ledges by her little finger just because CGI alows it.

I want outfits true to the cartoon, not dark, not black leather everywhere. Tired of this *****. He-Man is colourful and bright (though I do like the Earth tones of the 2002 cartoon).

Teela should NOT be played by skinny anorexic cocaine wench Kiera Knightly. Teela has proper hips, proper lady thighs, lets see it.

The Sorceress should not be 18 years old like Susan Storm in the Fantastic 4 films. C'mon, I know people like to look at young girls but Hollywood needs to get over itself, also she's a mother-type. She should be allowed to look older.

Most of all: I want proper physical fight sequences. The best bit of Lord of the Rings is the end of the first movie when they just have a good old rumble in the woods. I want an actor who can fight, good stuntmen. I want to see actual peril as well as that which is part of the story.

I want to see actual locations, real sets. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the Star Wars prequels all over again. Fantastical yes, but lets give model makers a chance... we are all about models right? Lets see some. Of course CGI can create the vastness of it all, but lets not have an all encompassing CGI fest which looks too photoshop lens-flare perfect. This aint Disney aiight?

The actors need to physically be there for it to seem real.

Music: Lets stop and think for a minute before launching into a typical fully orchestrated score; especially one with faux-Irish twangs and with bloody Enya singing over the end credits. Think about how the incidental music for the original cartoon has synth mixed with traditional instruments and is totally awe inspiring.

He-Man should not be trained by Japanese ninja's. I'm sick of it in Hollywood, time and time again. He should have amusing bits of dialogue and not be complete dead wood like Dolph Lundgren. Sorry, but it's true; Dolph was like He-Man in physique only. The guy who played Man-At-Arms was pretty good though and Frank Langella was totally awesome. This is why I am not fully against a Skeletor with a skillfully made mask; the actor makes the performance great.
    Last edited by Battle Damage; March 16, 2011 at 09:44am. Reason: more to say and spelling
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of the women!
    CROM! For some sweet illustration go to paulloudon.COM!

What I'd like to see? A great number of charcaters, simple as that! Just think of Stinkor, who only (finally!) appeared in the three-season 2000 Masters of the Universe cartoon series. Or Spikor, who only appears in the 1980's series.

It would also be fun if She-Ra would also been mentionned, or even shown. With The Horde, Clawdeen, Sea Harp, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUFan1985 View Post
    Could be off here, way off, but expand the 87 movie minus earth.
    I actually like that idea. A sequal, but recast all the characters, redesign, etc.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar

Tired of waiting for Hollywood.

The way I see it, or the way I storyboarded it.

There are two Masters of the Universe movies.
    'He-Man and She-Ra' and 'Peace and Havok'

It has a very solid begining and end.
    I put it all together with these comletely musical sequences.
    (the music is all you would hear, and the entire song plays through)
    Great 80's music.

It would look very classic, because it was very well thought up at the time.
    Like all great things.

Gilbert and Sulivan didnt make 'Pirates of Penzance' as a classic peice, it just had all the right bits in it to be funny and cultural.

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    Personally I think you'd be better if you cut it down to about 3-4 of the main characters on each side. Do just a few characters, and do them well.

If you chuck to many in for the sake of having them in there, you end up with the Street Fighter movie. Or worse, Mortal kombat Annihilation!
    if a motu movie becomes half as bad as mk annihalation i will kill myself!
    SKELETOR OWNS HORDAK!! i have had an extremely good purchase of two motuc with shecky or as is on his profile "the man called v" a great guy so if you see an item of his you like do not hesitate to buy! Domino is selling an extremely impressive collection motuc in the marketplace. Great figures, great prices! get them while you can!

I want to see pretty much what we're going to see in Disney's John Carter of Mars.

I want a MotU movie... I want it bad. But I'm not holding my breath for it.

I will say though that the little I've seen of JCoM, I'm loving the direction and feel it will be accessible to general audiences for the most part.
    I love that the costume and creature designs are well thought out, the environments are epic. It does the job of "taking you away to another world". That's what I'd want to see in a MotU Movie.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Dark, and Serious. No cheesy humor and one-liners. Shot like "300" was.
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

Cheese is good for you. Lots of calcium.

In my movies I took a few lines' from the origional series.

My favorite one ever was when He-Man punched a hole in the outer-wall of snake mountin and says "Doesn't anyone ever clean up around here?!"

I agree mostly with Battle Damage.

Real locations, nice realistic sets or models as backgrounds (much of LOTR used cool models with CGI) and I like the idea of a cool synth score like the show. The Snake Mountain music is still cool & creepy!

Gotta have Battle Cat this time and use classic designs for Castle Grayskull and Snake Mtn. I like how the MYP show used the designs and just updated them.

I also want to see Battle Rams (not just hover boards), maybe a road ripper and some stuff like that. Maybe Skeletor and his men can be more high tech where the good guys (except for maybe Man-at-Arms) use more magic.

Personally I want Orko but he's not a must, yet. If it became a trilogy though they have to have Orko in one of them.
    Last edited by Chris-at-Arms; October 31, 2011 at 06:07pm.

..I know every frame of these movies, and Orko is very important.

I would prefer it to be much like the early mini-comics.

He-Man from the tribe of warriors.

Ancient technology found all over Eternia, left over from some great war.

Skeletor from another dimension.

Green Goddess, two halves or the Power Sword, etc.

I would also like to avoid any and all references to the Filmation series.

The Filmation show made He-man a pop culture phenomenon, like it or not. I love a lot of what they did and like the Prince Adam to He-man transformation.

The MYP show storyline is the best way to go.

I don't really care about the special effects or any of that... the only thing I care about is the story and basic mythology in place... I think Sony would be doing themselves a great injustice to not follow along the lines of the official classic bios... like~

Marlena is from Earth
    Adora is the twin stolen away
    Teela is the daughter of the Sorceress
    Skeletor was created by Hordak and is the half brother of Randor...
    Have the king and queen
    Have Battlecat...

I'd just like the basic originals... a good start
    Please check out my new fan-fiction and critique blog, Masters of the Universe: Legacies!

Episode #1: "Brave New Eternia or Etherian Epitaphs" is available to read NOW!!

Part 1 of a 2 part introduction of a 13 episodic arc!!!

What will be your Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
    I don't really care about the special effects or any of that... the only thing I care about is the story and basic mythology in place...I'd just like the basic originals... a good start
    ..what if the Scorceress is a birdlady, and not just wearing a bird hat, then maybe its not so important to have a parent issue with Teela?

..What if no one has ever seen Hordak before?

..what if Marleena wasn't the only one that came from earth?

(I know the answers to these questions, I just want you to think that it can be more than just classic.)

Actually, this would make the PERFECT storyboard for a movie, IMHO:

http://he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=296

Now, the designs would need to be updated (who wants to see a red Beast Man?) but I feel that with some more action filler, this is your movie. It's true that the most original story is the best! And, this is the first, even before Filmation!

I think a movie can use the best stuff from all stories, which would be the best way to go for me.

I like the Prince Adam story better than a barbarian tribesman, but I kinda like the original "Green Goddess" Sorceress as well as some of the original origins. I don't know that The Sorceress must be a bird-lady. I'd make her King Grayskull's former Queen/love interest and has become kind of a spirit like figure who is the guardian of Grayskull's power.

I especially like the original concept that technology is from an ancient civlization and that He-Man's power is sort of magic and technology. This makes some of the vehicles plausible too while allowing for the really gothic style castles. I don't want a re-do of 1987. Should not be a second rate Star Wars!

I think maybe they can have Adam become He-Man permanently, so it sort of fits both origins.

They should use the Keldor and Randor as brothers story and have him transform into Skeletor at the hands of Randor (like the MYP show) and then saved by Hordak (Hordak would have been set up earlier in the films prologue because they must do a LOTR style opening with King Grayskull). Then perhaps have Skeletor takes revenge on his brother and the Masters and he "appears" to kill Adam. Yet, really Adam escapes and is maybe rescued by Duncan and taken to Grayskull. There the Sorceress gives him the sword and he becomes He-Man permanently (if Skeletor is shown to be really evil and Eternia is in great peril then this would be a major sacrifice for Adam to give up his indentity forever). This can explain a physical change and why they don't recognize Adam as He-Man. They can introduce Battle Cat here too. If Cringer isn't introduced as Adam's pet then it also adds believability.

This way only Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress knows his identity, but it makes Skeletor seem more sinister and creates deeper conflict with Randor and the Masters because he's a murderer and not a bumbling villain.

I want Skeletor to have a yellow skull and maybe a very dark purple costume. Langella looked awesome, but I want a yellow skull. I want Trap Jaw, Mer-Man and Tri-Klops more than any other villain. Beast man is cool, but he's been done (lots of movies have had a furry dude). I could even do without Evil Lyn at first. Skeletor does enough magic. I want brute villains this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-at-Arms View Post
    I think a movie can use the best stuff

I think maybe they can have Adam become He-Man permanently, so it sort of fits both origins. !
    In my storyboards, He-Man is a permanent change, at least it takes the magic of a dragon to change him and She-Ra back.
    ..but dragons are not easily convinced to do anything but sleep alot.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by bango1 View Post
    The movie should be Classics style. Done similarly to "Avatar" (animation style) to capture the generic muscular look of the 80's toys.. And of course the story should start way back in Preternia.
    Totally...
    There should be, no less, than 3 movies made... and all of them around 3 hours long!!

Avoid too many extras and unknown characters ( NO NEW CHARACTERS!!!) to maintain the "feel" that we have been looking for... but include all core characters in the first movie... in the second movie introduce the Horde science experiments that become Masters and villains(Snout Spout, Extendar, Rio-Blast, Dragstor).
    The third movie should have, at least, cameos from everyone else during the Ulitimate Battle ground.

Don't let Orko "Jar-Jar" the movie...

Just scan the toys and Mocap the actors.

Don't let a lot of dialog ruin in it :
    A hero is out on patrol... theres a bad guy or 2... some dirty looks exchanged and IT'S ON!!! Great looking characters, true to the toys... Nice sets reminiscent of the old Comics... and cameos of all heroes and villains at one point or another...

Part 1- Preternia to the arrival of Marlena and the disappearance of the Savage He-man / cloning of Teela... to the Birth of the twins/kidnapping of Adora. (I think Oo-Lar and the original Teela ran off together...LOL). End with a nice battle where Adam transforms into He-man and the Masters thwart an attack on Grayskull. (Ram-Man, Fisto, Mekanek, Stratos, Buzz-off)

Part 2- Adam has been He-man for years... this movie opens as Adam transforms into He-man to investigate some Meteors that crashed near Grayskull. Skeletor is also interested in the Meteors and a battle ensues where He-man, once again, thwarts Skeletor and his warriors... This movie culminates in the release from Despondos and arrival of Hordak and the Evil Horde... and the return of Adora. There is some back story on a few characters earlier on in the film... Faker/Man-E-Faces and Roboto and Syklone.

Part 3- The Horde has nearly conquered all of Eternia until Webstor discovers the ancient tomb below Snake Mountain that hides the Preternian Overlord... King Hsss. Webstor informs Evil-Lyn and she releases Hsss and his followers. Part 3 ends with the Ulimate Battleground and the discovery of what lies beneath Castle Grayskull, of which only the twins of the prophecy could discover, together.

But no matter what... if Man-at -arms has a moustache... the movie will likely suck. LOL

P.S... The director should watch Flash Gordon (1980) before every shoot... and try to emulate what that film captures... and maybe a hint of Ridley Scott's Legend.
    Last edited by He-Dude; November 11, 2011 at 04:43pm.