Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Hybrid View

Official Talkback Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

In an interview with Hero Complex, Christopher Nolan revealed that the title for his third Batman movie will be The Dark Knight Rises. He added that the villain "won't be the Riddler."

"We'll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we'll be introducing some new ones," Nolan said cryptically. He also said that the studio has agreed with him not to shoot the film in 3D.

The Dark Knight Rises is scheduled for a July 20, 2012 release.

Read more: Third Batman to be Titled The Dark Knight Rises - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...#ixzz13ZsSXC7E

Maybe Bruce's love interest in this one will be named Sue Flay, and she can rise with him.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    That works.

While I love the Riddler above all other Bat-foes, I'm Ok with him not being the villain. Partially because I'd like to see some new blood, so to speak, and partially because I don't think he'd fit as the villain in the context of where this trilogy seems to be going.

Personally, I think Catwoman needs to at least be in the movie, but not as the main threat, obviously - there needs to be some kind of female presence.

At this point, if I had to guess, my money would be on Black Mask.

At any rate, glad to hear news about what will likely be my favorite movie of 2012.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

He also said that the studio has agreed with him not to shoot the film in 3D.
    Awesome, it does not need it!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Does this mean the lame ending to 'The Dark Knight' will be resolved?? And, how are they ever going to have The Joker again with the actor who portrayed him passed away a few years ago??
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Does this mean the lame ending to 'The Dark Knight' will be resolved?? And, how are they ever going to have The Joker again with the actor who portrayed him passed away a few years ago??
    They can reference him but I doubt they would recast him (at least in the Nolan verse)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    They can reference him but I doubt they would recast him (at least in the Nolan verse)
    Here's my cheap version...

There where many 'fake' Batmen in the second movie...why couldn't there be an alternate Joker? 'What you met was one of my many apprentices...'

I HATED the Joker in this movie...nothing but a madman...no fun at all...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    not a bad title.

Kind of disappointed no Riddler really hope it's not Killer Croc. I could accept him as being in the film but he can't be the main villain. It needs to be a major and intelligent character to wrap up the trilogy.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Kind of disappointed no Riddler really hope it's not Killer Croc. I could accept him as being in the film but he can't be the main villain. It needs to be a major and intelligent character to wrap up the trilogy.

I agree - but moreover, given where this trilogy seems to be heading, I think it needs to be someone who represents a threat to Gotham, not just a character who's menacing as an individual.

That's why I'm thinking Black Mask - someone who ruthlessly (and effectively) unites the city's criminal element while Batman is on the outs with the population - but who's far more savage and monstrous than guys like Falcone or Maroni.

Remember, this is the third act of a story which featured Joker as the second act, so there's got to be at least that much level of threat - only this time, it'd be less a question of 'chaos' then an actual, organized problem.

The only other character I could see filling that position is Bane, but personally I'd like to skip Bane for this outing.

Not only that, but Catwoman has history with Black Mask in the comics, so she could tie in to the story fairly easily.

Of course, this is all just educated guesswork on my part.

The title works cause remember how the dark knight ended he was the vigalante on the run. So now he rises again to help out Gordon. I like it. Nolan understands the batman character. I love what he has done with the property. I just really want to see cat women in it. Or at least selena.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post

Personally, I think Catwoman needs to at least be in the movie, but not as the main threat, obviously - there needs to be some kind of female presence.
    I just said the same thing! I don't care if she is catwoman or not, but Selina needs to be in the movie. I would even be O.K. with the short black hair version if they want to get away from Pfifer.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I dislike the title very much since the last one was called The Dark Knight.

Secondly, I am some-what disappointed about no Riddler. Though, since I have not enjoyed the other Nolan films, perhaps this is a blessing as Riddler is my favorite vile (though I did like Nolan's Scarecrow).

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Cool title, works for me. Don't really care either way about the 3D. Whoever the villain winds up being, I'm sure it'll be well-done. Nolan's movies have been pretty amazing so far; I trust him.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie. Is there any chance that DC would release a crossover movie just like Marvel's Avengers?
    Manny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by MannyB175 View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this movie. Is there any chance that DC would release a crossover movie just like Marvel's Avengers?
    DC fans would love it (I know I would.) But the problem is that DC's not been as successful as Marvel in getting their pantheon into successful film franchises. Green Lantern didn't do as well as they hoped, and I have no idea why DC can't get their act together and get Flash and Wonder Woman movies to the screen.

The other problem is Nolan's Batman isn't designed to work with other series. I don't know how Man of Steel will play out yet, but DC is years away from doing a combined-franchise film. That said, they could try going the other way and starting with the JLA (they almost did a few years back), but I don't think that would have the same impact as combining four franchises into one movie.

I have to hand it to Marvel on this - I'm a Batman/DC fan above all, but Marvel has played the whole film division very well.

All that said, I'm still really psyched for DKR - especially now that I can understand Bane!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    For a life long DC fan, I'm in a sad state: I'm looking forward to Avengers more than DKR.

Begins was good, a little ponderous in over-explaining every aspect of everything, but a solid origin movie. But Dark Knight was a frenetic mish-mash which never quite figured out what it was trying to say. I remember mostly explosions rather than the character stuff that usually sticks with me. And I agree with what several have said, nothing felt like Batman; Nolan grounds the character far too much in reality and takes away a lot of his appeal in the process. And given that the main villain in DK, rather than being a scary psychopath, came off like the weird uncle you hope doesn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner, I really don't have a good feel for what Nolan will do with either Catwoman or Bane.

I don't know what it is with the live action Bat movies; none of them get all the elements right. Burton came the closest, in that he and Keaton got Batman down perfectly, but the villains were still too over the top. The Schumacher movies were altogether embarrassing. And Nolan tries too hard to make Batman too real, too grounded to be Batman. I have to echo another sentiment expressed here, that the animated movies like Phantasm and Sub-Zero were far superior to anything in live action, with deeper characterization and more coherent stories than we've seen in any of the mufti-million dollar blockbusters.

My bet is that all the hype about DKR topping Avengers or Hunger Games is unlikely to come true; it's not going to do near as well as DK, simply because it doesn't have Heath Ledger in his last role (and, sorry, almost every positive review I recall about DK talked about Ledger, not Nolan or anyone else who was part of the movie). The only good thing I can see is that this is the last of the Nolan Batmans, so hopefully the next round will re-boot everything and give us a better take on the character.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    For a life long DC fan, I'm in a sad state: I'm looking forward to Avengers more than DKR.
    Replace Avengers with Spider-Man & I'm right there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Begins was good, a little ponderous in over-explaining every aspect of everything, but a solid origin movie. But Dark Knight was a frenetic mish-mash which never quite figured out what it was trying to say. I remember mostly explosions rather than the character stuff that usually sticks with me. And I agree with what several have said, nothing felt like Batman; Nolan grounds the character far too much in reality and takes away a lot of his appeal in the process. And given that the main villain in DK, rather than being a scary psychopath, came off like the weird uncle you hope doesn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner, I really don't have a good feel for what Nolan will do with either Catwoman or Bane.

I don't know what it is with the live action Bat movies; none of them get all the elements right. Burton came the closest, in that he and Keaton got Batman down perfectly, but the villains were still too over the top. The Schumacher movies were altogether embarrassing. And Nolan tries too hard to make Batman too real, too grounded to be Batman. I have to echo another sentiment expressed here, that the animated movies like Phantasm and Sub-Zero were far superior to anything in live action, with deeper characterization and more coherent stories than we've seen in any of the mufti-million dollar blockbusters.

My bet is that all the hype about DKR topping Avengers or Hunger Games is unlikely to come true; it's not going to do near as well as DK, simply because it doesn't have Heath Ledger in his last role (and, sorry, almost every positive review I recall about DK talked about Ledger, not Nolan or anyone else who was part of the movie). The only good thing I can see is that this is the last of the Nolan Batmans, so hopefully the next round will re-boot everything and give us a better take on the character.
    I think I might have liked Batman Begins a little more than you did, but everything else feels like you were reading my mind.

I think Nolan has talent and I've liked a few of his movies, but I really don't feel the need to see any more from him until he shows some more range. I feel like everything he does is dark, depressing, & a tad pretentious with a James Horner score. I may not have loved Burton's 2 Batman movies, but I loved their look & Keaton is my favorite live action Batman(although I'll always have a soft spot for Adam West.).

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    The new 52 DCnU has quite lost the identity on some characters, because they don't seem to understand them, so it seems even worse for a movie treatment if they hire an external writer to for the script and he only has the notion of superheroes from 60's Batman TV series (as Joel Schumacher).

I hope that in the next 5-10 years DC may be able re accommodate their minds to pull up their superheroes on the movie screens.
    I still haven't given up on DC Comics, but I tend to agree with you. DC was already getting much darker & more violent before the New 52 ever started(Identity Crisis or any fight involving Superboy Prime & Black Adam), but now they seem to have even lost the voices of their characters. DC used be the optimistic superhero universe where even heroes as dark as Batman acted like heroes, but lately a lot of their books feel like they are trying too hard to emulate JoeyQ's Marvel. IMO, the best thing featuring DC characters right now is the Young Justice cartoon.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 4, 2012 at 10:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    DC fans would love it (I know I would.) But the problem is that DC's not been as successful as Marvel in getting their pantheon into successful film franchises. Green Lantern didn't do as well as they hoped, and I have no idea why DC can't get their act together and get Flash and Wonder Woman movies to the screen.

The other problem is Nolan's Batman isn't designed to work with other series. I don't know how Man of Steel will play out yet, but DC is years away from doing a combined-franchise film. That said, they could try going the other way and starting with the JLA (they almost did a few years back), but I don't think that would have the same impact as combining four franchises into one movie.

I have to hand it to Marvel on this - I'm a Batman/DC fan above all, but Marvel has played the whole film division very well.
    Newsarama post an article exposing that after the great result obtained by Avengers, a Justice League movie is viable. I do think the same IMHO. Although, As much as I like Bat-Nolanverse, JL movie should be something different. Probably The Man of Steel may pave the way for such movie, but I hardly doubt it.

I thought that GL movie would have been the one to do so, but story-wise was very simplistic and formulaic. Honestly, why did they make an intergalactic threat as Parallax like a smoke cloud that have been seen in Lost?
    The new 52 DCnU has quite lost the identity on some characters, because they don't seem to understand them, so it seems even worse for a movie treatment if they hire an external writer to for the script and he only has the notion of superheroes from 60's Batman TV series (as Joel Schumacher).

I hope that in the next 5-10 years DC may be able re accommodate their minds to pull up their superheroes on the movie screens.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Newsarama post an article exposing that after the great result obtained by Avengers, a Justice League movie is viable.
    A few years ago, there was going to be a Justice League movie from George Miller. ONLY they would not have used the original actors: Bale, Routh, etc. http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...league-project
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Just watched the trailer in awe.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar

The Dark Knight Rises Rections and Reviews thread

If this thread already exists, go ahead and merge it. Otherwise, mark your spoilers and let loose with the reviews!

Just got home and I've had a good hour to marinate on what I saw...

It was definitely a great film that I would consider the greatest third act of any trilogy! Now, with that said, it's a better film story than TDK, but its characters are a mess. The actors all played them fine and well, but the way they were written just didn't click. While Anne Hathaway is most definitely the fans biggest worry, she does a good job with her role. But sadly, this role isn't the Catwoman that we all know and love from any other media (be it comics, games, other movies, etc) and she just kinda goes with the flow of everyone else, not really standing out as anything special. Bane was pretty good, but his voice was such ****. I would have rathered he stayed unrecognizable and cool sounding than having this odd Battlestar Galactica Cylon voice remix, but maybe Nolan was making a point of having him sound annoying for being forced to change it by the studios in the first place. All the other usuals were fine and it was kinda nice to see the new faces mix in with them as well as they did.

The story here makes sense to the trilogy, holds a lot of ground with what has come before, and does a great job of tying back to the events of Begins. Sadly though, TDK is taken to the backseat with this storyline as only one or two ideas are brought into this third flik without the actual events ever being addressed.To give spoilers about what isn't in TDKR:

There are no mentions of The Joker in this film, yet Harvey Dent and his facade of being "Gotham's Hero" is played up a to support the climax at the end of this film. It's not terrible, but it is jarring to see that the events of Begins has such a huge role in this flik while Gotham's biggest known threat to it's citizens has no mentions of his name here. I didn't need to see pictures or deleted footage used, but a notion about how The Joker was the first to really reign down terror on the city would have been nice.

Otherwise, the cameo's and easter eggs were nice to see. And while it's not a spoiler, I wanna see if anyone else noticed the Adam Hughes reference to Catwoman in this flik (it pops up for a brief second or two, so keep your eye out)

The ending is satisfying, but my friend ruined it for me when he started to whisper something to me at a critical moment and I missed one line of popular dialogue! >=( For anyone that saw and heard it, tell me!!!

When JGL told the receptionist that he had a real name that he didn't like and he handed her an i.d. card with that real name on it, she said she liked the sound of it and repeated it out loud. I think she said it was just "Robin," but I didn't hear it!!

Anywho, I give it a solid 4.5/5 stars as far as trilogy cappers go. The flik itself relies a lot on seeing the first two films of the series (like all trilogies do), and it really ties everything together nicely. But in respect of the film on its very own, it gets a very decent 4/5 stars from me.

For those who saw it and want definitive spoilers, here's my likes/dislikes:

-I love that Talia is in this flik!
    -I hate how she died and how little invested she was with Bruce Wayne as a lover and future father to the next leader of the League of Shadows

-Great to see Ra's come back!
    -Too bad there's no mention of a lazarus pit or something that could tie people together through its existence

-Awesome fight scenes with Bane and Bat's, though that spine breaker was a let down. It looked a little to wire-harnessed.
    -It totally sucks how Bane died, but over time and rewatching I may get used to and eventually appreciate it.

-Bruce died, and I definitely have the opinion that Alfred imagined seeing him and Selena in Italy (or wherever) at the end. And then to have Alfrew hallucinating about Bruce at the end makes the character all the more sad at the end. I liked Michael Cain in this flik, but him leaving early as a character just meant there wasn't enough of Cain on screen for me.

-Catwoman was a waste. A hot chick in leather is one thing, but to take away her identity as a sexual flirt, and to play these odd moral games with her really spoiled the whole point of her being a thief and enjoying it.

-If JGL's name at the end was Robin, what an odd way of crowbarring in the name. It would have been more natural for him to have been **** Grayson and for Bruce to have left him with the start of a legacy under the name of Nightwing or Robin. Once JGL got into the Batcave, there should have been an onscreen message with a term like "Nightwing project initiated" or something that woulda given the fanboys a better feeling of Bruce leaving the legacy of Batman to someone new.

-Lastly, I only saw one continuity flaw in this flik. When Bane and his men take over the stock exchange they escape on their motorcycles after being told that they have eight minutes until the transfer is done on the computer. They leave in broad daylight, go underground, have Batman show up and cut all the power with some device that makes the screen dark, but then all of the sudden it's night time outside in the next scene when they all go above ground, and Batman get's the laptop that's doing the transfer right when the supposed eight minutes had just gone by... Ummm???
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; July 20, 2012 at 10:19pm.

This is just shocking

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16187436.html

the fact that a lot of them were children, including a baby... damn
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I attended the Triolgy event. During this, I realized how I had forgotten how good Batman Begins is. I think that is my favorite of the three movies. I enjoy Dark Knight, but not as much as the rest of the world, apparently.

However, I was not too thrilled with Dark Knight Rises.

I'm sure I'll get lots of hate, because I see how passionate folks are about the Nolan films. But I can't help it. This movie didn't do anything to excite me.

I felt like Bane was just some guy. I didn't feel like he did anything that stood out. The lack of the venom toxin sucked, but I had a feeling going in that whole element would be missing anyway. And man, his voice is just ridiculous. I've always had a hard time taking Bale's Batman voice seriously, but Bane's is even worse.

I felt like it was about an hour too long, as the middle drug and I was fighting off sleep. I easily predicted all of the "twists," but that doesn't mean everyone will and I'm sure some folks will still find them to be enjoyable. But there were some scenes that really made me roll my eyes because of how silly they felt...

For example, the whole ending of the movie felt like nothing but fan service. I felt like Nolan was trying to make me forget that I didn't enjoy the rest of the film by adding all of these little "goodies" at the end. But when Blake told that receptionist to use his 'legal' name, and she said "Robin," I laughed. I think we all knew he was going to turn out to be Robin, but why is that his legal name? Was Nolan afraid no one would recognize the name **** Grayson? Or did Nolan just think his real name was Robin?

Anyway, I don't really want to sit here and bash the movie, so I'm sorry if I come off that way. I hope everyone that is excited for this movie enjoys it! I really do! It just personally didn't do it for me.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    This is just shocking
    Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers with the families.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I felt like it was about an hour too long, as the middle drug and I was fighting off sleep.
    Not to defend a movie I haven't seen, but this is why I don't do the midnight showings anymore. ALL movies seem to drag when I want to go to bed. Maybe I'm just old.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post

Not to defend a movie I haven't seen, but this is why I don't do the midnight showings anymore. ALL movies seem to drag when I want to go to bed. Maybe I'm just old.
    we are old scotty, but also a bit wiser...... well... some of us...