Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

In Defense Of The Dark Knight

In light of the recent Colorado shootings, I'd like to say A few things in defense of Batman. Is 'The Dark Knight Rises' A dark, and gritty movie? Yes, but it portrays Batman as A hero none the less, and in no way should be blamed for the tragic shooting. The shooter, himself is to blame, and must be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Having said that, I thought I'd give A brief history of Batman. Created in 1939 by Bobe Kane, The Caped Crusader has been A part of American pop culture in many forms outside of comics. Perhaps he's best known by many baby boomers through the 60's TV show starring Adam West, and Burt Ward. Campy, and silly, yes, but it was how alot of people were introduced to the character. After the series ended, the culture changed, and so did Batman. At least in the comics. In pop culture, people's image of Batman was still immortalized by Adam West's campy depiction from TV. All that changed with Tim Burtons' 'Batman' movie from 1989. Which made A dark, serious Batman more acceptable in mainstream pop culture. This lead to A few more movies, and A critically acclaimed animated series that revolutionized action cartoons.

After A tarnished reputation by Joel Schumacher's 'Batman & Robin', Batman was rescued from the clutches of camp by Christopher Nolan with three movies. One of which had A depiction of The Joker portrayed by the late Heath Ledger that has been the subject of this tragic shooting with the gunman dressed up as said character. Batman has been open to many different interpretations, and that's how he's survived as A character. Weather he's depicted as gritty, or campy, he's always been A hero born of tragedy to become A symbol of hope.

While the media is filled with violence, and immorality, this has also been A year of heroes arising from the Hollywood sewers, and aspiring greatness in our multiplexes. This trend started, in my eyes, with 'The Hunger Games'. An adaptation of Suzzanne Collin's series of 'young adult' novels set in A dystopian future that's A haunting commentary of reality television's dominance, and government tyranny that features A great heroine for young girls. Katniss Everdeen, who sacrifices herself to partake in these games in order to save her young sister, is A much more substantial role model than 'Twilight's Bella Swan, or the rest of the Hollywood ***** that pollute the pop culture landscape. Then there's 'The Avengers'. An epic adventure featuring Marvel Comic's most iconic super heroes, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk fighting alien invaders, has so far become the highest grossing movie of the year, and A movie that everyone can enjoy.

So, you see, we need heroes now more than ever, but government intervention is not the answer, and might lead it A dystopian future of our own. Bottom line is, these heroes have shown that there are better people to look up to than the glorified criminals, reality show brats, and glittering vampires polluting our pop culture. That's not only my defense on Batman, but A commentary on the emergence of heroes making A difference in our movies. If Katniss, Batman, and The Avengers taught us anything this year, it's that out of tyranny, adversity, or even tragedy can come greatness.

If we make ourselves more than what we are, we become something greater. We have no idea the effect we can have. Let's all be greater.
    Last edited by mbaker; July 22, 2012 at 11:07am.

That is nicely written.

ok, so a few things.....

who was the cop gordon saw at his home? I want to say dent, but from the second film obviously not...

Talia was a tad predictable...so was the new robin. ghost of Rha's was not.

i'm guessing that alfred knew it was bruce at the end? and I'm assuming he was with salina?

not a bad movie. liked it better than 2.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

He was Deputy Commissioner, played by Mathew Modine aka Private Joker...

Alfred's smile told it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    He was Deputy Commissioner, played by Mathew Modine aka Private Joker...

Alfred's smile told it all.
    hmm, i don't remember the smile.....second viewing ho

ahh, k. I knew he had to be someone
    Geek Media -

My wife and I saw the movie yesterday morning and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I really, really liked it. I think I prefer it to The Dark Knight. I took it as a very dark film, but it wasn't without hope. Particularly at the end. I really did like Bane, too. Even the voice. At times it did sound a bit weird. Like an amalgamation of a Scottish and a posh English accent. But sometimes it did sound genuinely frightening.

But yeah, quite a bittersweet film in general.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I just saw it. It was good. Not great. Bane's voice was annoying. It sounded like an old English man. Hardly terrifying. But the movie was alright.

At least I learned that you can recover from a broken back in about 2-3 months without any modern medical facilities or techniques.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 22, 2012 at 09:15pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I just saw it. It was good. Not great. Bane's voice was annoying. It sounded like an old English man. Hardly terrifying. But it was alright.

Are you implying that a slap to the back does not qualify as a modern medical technique where you are?!?!

did anyone else think Jim Cummings with banes voice? It sounded strangely familair
    Geek Media -

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Perhaps in Canada it does, Doctor Vader, but not in good ol' U.S. of A.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    did anyone else think Jim Cummings with banes voice? It sounded strangely familair
    I'm telling you. Gandalf recorded through an office fan. Cheapest effect of the movie since they got McKellen drunk for it. (jk, I liked it!)

Great movie, best I've seen this summer! Here are my thoughts http://kaaredyrness.wordpress.com/20...-knight-rises/

I like that this came out the same summer as The Avengers. Maybe it will finally cure Hollywood of the "Oh, that was successful, let's copy that" syndrome having too such drastically different comic book movies. It shows that good writing and directing are far more important to making a good film then aping what someone else did.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    So I saw the movie today despite the fact that I have disliked all of Nolan's other Batman offerings. With that said, I thought this was the best one out of the bunch. I want to say my assessment of that is mostly due to Ann Hathaway's superb performance as Catwoman, something that I can't say for the other villains from the other movies, including Joker, except for Scarecrow in Begins (that was acceptable).

It was a bit surreal seeing my hometown (Pittsburgh) as Gotham and I thought it was downright weird the way Heinz Field was used. I've never been a fan of Bane at all, and I didn't really care for him here either. I could not understand what he was saying sometimes and his voice was not properly mixed so it sounded above and removed from his surroundings. I liked Bruce Wayne more in this movie and coupled with the Catwoman use tipped the scale for this one finally. I also liked the reveal of Talia, I did not really see that coming.

The scene at the ball made me think of Bruce Wayne and Selena Kyle dancing to "Face to Face" in Batman Returns. Probably not an intentional nod, but I'll take it. Did anyone else want Batman to say at some point "Somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb"? No? Just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    About that ending...
    I completely agree with you.

I don't think there was anything in the ending to indicate that anything was imagined. I also really LOVED the ending. I thought it was perfect. Bruce finally gets to live his life and "Robin" (I thought that real name thing was bit too staged) finds the Batcave. Works for me!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Bane's voice based on Bartley Gorman, who was King of the Gypsies in the UK for a spell. There's a YouTube video of him. The voice won't be immediately apparent but is more based on the sickly Gorman's voice who Hardy had researched while preparing to play "charlie Bronson" a real life prisoner here in the UK.
    So, for Tom Hardy "Bane" ingredients - look up 'Bartley Gorman King of the Gypsies' and 'Hardy Bronson Trailer' on YouTube.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Whether you love or hate Nolan's version of the bat universe (and honestly, it is either this or the god awful movies from the 90s, so it isn't like you have a choice), you have to admit that Nolan knows how to put a multitude of villians and characters into these movies without them feeling forced. I mean, we have had:

Batman
    Fox
    Alfred
    Gordon
    Flask
    Loeb
    Two-Face/Harvey
    Joker
    Scarecrow
    Ras'al Ghul
    Ubu
    Talia
    Mr Zasz
    Falcone
    Maroni
    Catwoman
    Holly
    Bane
    Dagget

I'm honestly surprised he did not find a way to sneak Sionis and Thorne into the movies.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Dark Knight Rises is great. Ann Hathaway as Catwoman is everything!

I loved this movie, though not as much as TDK. To be fair I was ambivalent towards TDK until my second viewing. The only problems I had with Rises were some unusually sloppy storytelling from Nolan this time around.

I didn't like Blake knowing who Batman was all because of a fake smile. Talia hated her father but wants to avenge his death anyway? Man Bruce was busy prior to getting his back broken, fixing the Bat, setting up a new will having decided who gets to take over his legacy without knowing the guy that well. And why were Bruce's leg injuries so extensive, he hadn't been Batman that long by the end of TDK?

That said, surely Michael Caine deserves a Supporting Actor nom for this performance. Hathaway was great as Catwoman. I liked Bane though he doesn't compare to Ledger's Joker, tbf I don't think anyone could.
    "So what am I supposed to do with it?"
    "It's a magic sword. You lift your arm and shout 'By the power of Grayskull', or something like that."
    "And then what happens?"
    "Then you get struck by lightning."
    *looks at the sword for a moment*
    "Here then, you try it."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Yes almost like Dr. Robotnik on Sonic The Hedgehog,

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    So I saw the movie today despite the fact that I have disliked all of Nolan's other Batman offerings. With that said, I thought this was the best one out of the bunch. I want to say my assessment of that is mostly due to Ann Hathaway's superb performance as Catwoman, something that I can't say for the other villains from the other movies, including Joker, except for Scarecrow in Begins (that was acceptable).

It was a bit surreal seeing my hometown (Pittsburgh) as Gotham and I thought it was downright weird the way Heinz Field was used. I've never been a fan of Bane at all, and I didn't really care for him here either. I could not understand what he was saying sometimes and his voice was not properly mixed so it sounded above and removed from his surroundings. I liked Bruce Wayne more in this movie and coupled with the Catwoman use tipped the scale for this one finally. I also liked the reveal of Talia, I did not really see that coming.

The scene at the ball made me think of Bruce Wayne and Selena Kyle dancing to "Face to Face" in Batman Returns. Probably not an intentional nod, but I'll take it. Did anyone else want Batman to say at some point "Somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb"? No? Just me?

I completely agree with you.
    So you disliked the other 2 and love this one the best?

I saw it at the midnight premiere and loved it, it's the best movie i've seen this year besides Avengers, Arriety, Prometheus and Amazing Spider-Man. I'm gonna see it again and it will blow me away again.

Who else thought Bane was as awesome as he was in the comics and animated series? i do.

And who else thought Anne Hathaway was hot as Catwoman? i do, Catwoman has always been one of my boyhood comic crushes since i was 8 reading the comics and adore her in any version except for Frank Miller's ugly bald version from Year One but Hathaway has made it possible for Catwoman.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Whether you love or hate Nolan's version of the bat universe (and honestly, it is either this or the god awful movies from the 90s, so it isn't like you have a choice), you have to admit that Nolan knows how to put a multitude of villians and characters into these movies without them feeling forced. I mean, we have had:

Batman
    Fox
    Alfred
    Gordon
    Flask
    Loeb
    Two-Face/Harvey
    Joker
    Scarecrow
    Ras'al Ghul
    Ubu
    Talia
    Mr Zasz
    Falcone
    Maroni
    Catwoman
    Holly
    Bane
    Dagget

I'm honestly surprised he did not find a way to sneak Sionis and Thorne into the movies.
    that's the other thing.. it's been a while since i've seen the animated series, but wasn't dagget the one who turned clayface into clayface? I'm surprised we didn't get a harvey bullock in this movie .
    Geek Media -

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Yeah, in BTAS, Dagget had created a cream that could remove wrinkles, which is what they used to pay Matt Hagen, and then when he lost his usefulness, they dumped it all over him, creating Clayface.

Dagget was also the one who had hired Dr Milo, who was using a toxin to make animals go crazy, and he was going to blow up the old part of the city in another episode. He was actually a pretty central villian in BTAS, which was kind of cool.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    We have discussed it and FYI we think it is okay to use "D!ck" when mentioning a characters name.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I don't think it was just facial expressions that lead to Blake figuring out who Batman was. In the movie, he came off as a brilliant detective and strategist, much like how Tim Drake found out who Batman was in the comics.

Also loved that exchange between Blake and Gordon

*People of Gotham. We have no abandoned you*

Blake: what's that supposed to mean?

Gordon: means we're on our own.

Was I the only person who thought maybe John Blake was supposed to be that kid Batman met briefly in Batman Begins, the one who said something like "It's you, the other kids will never believe me"?

a Muppet of a man...
    When he first met him and said, "we met once..." I thought the story he was going to tell was the story of the kid in Batman Begins. But since it wasn't, I don't think that he was that kid.