Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Pretty cool movie, you can tell they fixed Banes voice cause it really didnt match anyone else's.

Catwoman was perfectly done. She was more natural, in Batman returns she was played crazy. 2 different things, but this just worked better for me.

LOVED the scarecrow returning. He is now the longest running batman film bad guy ever!

The end was a nice send off,but left me semi confused..... was Blake suppose to be Robin or the new Batman? I know he IS Robin, but it was like he owns the cave now, everything is his now that Bruce is retired. Or are they implying he's gunna just be Robin protector of Gotham, and maybe Bruce joins him again in the future...? eh eh ?
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

He's not Robin from the comics. His name is literally Robin and I think it's implied he'll do whatever he can with what's left in the bat cave. He's not **** Grayson or anything, although he reminded me of Tim since he figured out who was Batman.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    He's not Robin from the comics... although he reminded me of Tim since he figured out who was Batman.
    The death of John/Robin's dad is also closer to Tim's origin than D. Grayson's.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

He could be a little bit of Terry McGuiness as well with what he inherited.

Heroic Warrior
    While I enjoyed Scarecrow running the kangaroo court, that role screamed Joker to me. Ah, what coulda been...
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The real reason why Christopher Nolan chose Robin as Blake's legal name:

If he'd went with **** Grayson, we couldn't talk about him on He-man.org because of the editing!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I attended the Triolgy event. During this, I realized how I had forgotten how good Batman Begins is. I think that is my favorite of the three movies. I enjoy Dark Knight, but not as much as the rest of the world, apparently.

However, I was not too thrilled with Dark Knight Rises.

I'm sure I'll get lots of hate, because I see how passionate folks are about the Nolan films. But I can't help it. This movie didn't do anything to excite me.

I felt like Bane was just some guy. I didn't feel like he did anything that stood out. The lack of the venom toxin sucked, but I had a feeling going in that whole element would be missing anyway. And man, his voice is just ridiculous. I've always had a hard time taking Bale's Batman voice seriously, but Bane's is even worse.

I felt like it was about an hour too long, as the middle drug and I was fighting off sleep. I easily predicted all of the "twists," but that doesn't mean everyone will and I'm sure some folks will still find them to be enjoyable. But there were some scenes that really made me roll my eyes because of how silly they felt...
    I agree with everything you just said from liking Batman Begins the best(seeing it as a part of the trilogy showing last night cemented that in my mind), fighting off sleep during the last movie, and feeling Bane had a ridiculous voice & felt like just a guy.

I'll have to see it again where I'm not already tired from sitting in the theater for 6 hours already(I don't know how people made it through the Avengers Marathon), but as of now, I was extremely disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    This is just shocking

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16187436.html

the fact that a lot of them were children, including a baby... damn
    That is incredibly sad and makes my opinions on this movie seem all the more insignificant & pointless. My thoughts & prayers are with all of the victims & their loved ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    Not to defend a movie I haven't seen, but this is why I don't do the midnight showings anymore. ALL movies seem to drag when I want to go to bed. Maybe I'm just old.
    We're not getting older. We're getting better.

At least I was able to make it through this movie. I saw a midnight showing of The Crow as a kid and slept through most of it.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 20, 2012 at 11:54pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

LOL! huhuhuhu... You said Dark Knight Rises and Rection. huhuhuhu
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    BTW, did anyone feel that Alfred was a dbag in this movie? He just seemed very out of character. Oh, and Gordon is by far the star of the entire trilogy, which also helps make this a fantastic trilogy. Nevertheless, as I said before, not as good as The Dark Knight, but better than Begins. In fact, I saw a great comparison to these with the original Star Wars trilogy. First one was excellent with a solid story. Second one is by far the best of the series and one of the best movies of all time. And the third one, while flawed, is a great ending to the story and the second best of the trilogy.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Lots or arguing on the Internet about the ending being real or not. It's not Inception. Pretty straight forward movie.

I thought it was good, but no where near as good as the previous 2. I thought it was predictable. My buddy who came to watch it, who never read a batman comic didnt think so. I thought the fights between Bane and Batman were a little boring, and as someone here said, perhaps too realistic. Overall, better than i was expecting but not great.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

The first fight between Bane and Batman was awesome and hard to watch.

Heavy Metal Warlord Hessianking's Avatar
    I enjoyed the film and thought the end worked well, a worthy end to the trilogy. I was a little disappointed with the lack of character development for Bane, Selena Kyle and Talia. However, I thought they did a good job with Blake. And Banes voice I had big problems with. The action was spectacular. It was a good movie overall, and well worth the wait.

By the way, did anyone else notice the top of Catwomans head when she flipped up her goggles? I thought that was a nice touch.
    -Hessianking

That scene where all the cops are finally loose and charge like 300 got me good.

Also when Batman comes out of retirement in the tunnel, chasing the motor cycles with the Batpod, awesome.

Oh boy, you are in for a show tonight, son!

I took the ending as Blake taking on the Batman role; not Robin. It was said countless times throughout the film, "anyone can be the Batman". His legal name was just a nod to the sidekick. My ONLY gripe with this movie was Nolan didn't take the time to mask NYC as some scenes showed the Empire State Building; Saks Fifth Avenue... then there's Heinz Field in Pittsburgh... it just didn't feel like "Gotham" to me. At least when they filmed in Chicago for Batman Begins, there were no real "known" landmarks shown.
    Last edited by MattOnDemand; July 21, 2012 at 03:50am.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

"...So That's What That Feels Like"

"Speak of the devil, and he shall appear"

"We will fulfil Ra's Al Ghuul's destiny!"

Bane: "Do you feel in control?"
    Daggert: "I paid you a small fortune"
    Bane: "That gives you control over me?"

"Imagine the fire"

"What a lovely, lovely voice!"

"I wondered what would break first, your spirit, or your body!"

"Then... I will break you"

"ah......you believe the darkness to be your ally.....but you merely ADOPTED the darkness.......I was BORN IN IT!!"

"The shadows betray you, because they belong to me"

"Do you know why this is called the worst place in the world? Hope. With no hope there can be no despair"

"You've come back to bury your city?"

Batman to Catwoman: "You made a serious mistake"
    Bane to Batman: "The mistake is yours, Mr Wayne"

"I am the League of Shadows"

"Goodbye, my love"

Dagget: "You're pure evil"
    Bane: "I'm necessary evil"

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents for the uninitiated.....but we ARE initiated.

Wall Street Trader to Bane: Theres no money here. We have nothing for you to steal.
    Bane: Then why are you here?

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Merged and retitled the threads to make a catch-all.

Saw this last night. I had been concerned this movie wouldn't live up to expectations, but I absolutely loved it.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Well, I just saw 'The Dark Knight Rises', and for what it's worth, I enjoyed it. (More so than 'Amazing Spider-Man'. Sorry.) Now of course, the die hard fans are gonna nit pick this movie to shred on how well it stacks up to 'The Dark Knight', and surprisingly, the film is already getting A mixed reaction from fans. While it might not hold A candle to 'The Dark Knight', or even 'Batman Begins', (depending on who you talk to) 'Rises' was still A solid movie, and it ended the trilogy very well. The cinematography was really nice, and Pittsburgh made for A nice Gotham City. Though, I gotta say this was one of the few 'Batman' movies that had more daytime scenes than night time scenes. (The other being the Adam West 'Batman' movie. The way I see it, Bane, and Joker are two entirely different villains. Heath Ledger's Joker will still be remembered as one of the greatest cinematic villains, but Bane is no slouch, either. Both of them are great for different reasons. Tom Hardy gives A very menacing performance, and his threats to the city were very effective. Anne Hatheway made A really nice Catwoman. Even if it was kinda weird that her 'Catwoman' name isn't mentioned through out the movie, and only as Selina Kyle. I do have to point out how it takes some more liberties with the Batman mythos with how the rokkie cop John Blake (Joseph Gordon Levit) changed his name to 'Robin' near the end. Especially since Nolan stated that Robin would not exist in his Batman movies, but made for A rather unique twist. I'm also guessing that Liam Neeson showing up was sort of his way of apologizing for starring in 'Battleship'. (It's okay, Liam. We all make mistakes.) and seeing Bruce doing target practice in his room proves once, and for all that 2012 is 'the year of the bow, and arrow'. Overall, great movie. May not be up there with the other two, but prety darn close. It's alot better than other third installments of super hero movies. Which is saying alot considering their reputation in the past.

As for the 'Man Of Steel' teaser, I wasn't too wowed by it, but not too bad. I'm still cautiously optimistic here. Seeing Nolan's name in there is A good sign, but you never know.
    Last edited by mbaker; July 21, 2012 at 08:50am.

Just got back from seeing this movie and I thought it was ridiculously awesome. The most intense movie-experience I've had in years. I think the main themes were very current and something I wouldn't mind discussing more in the Tar Swamp - on this thread I'll just say that the story made me feel sick in the stomach in a good way. Very "French Revolutionary" - vibe it had.

I think one thing that has made Nolan's Batmovies so enjoyable to me is that I personally can agree with the logic of the villains. Batman himself wasn't painted as a perfect role model of a hero either. I interpreted this movie to be a very anti-heroic movie at it's core and in a way I felt it had a kinda MOTU-ish message to it; balance being somewhere in between the two extremes.

Don't know what else to say at the moment. I'll see it again soon, that's for sure.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I just saw it and:

• Yes I missed Ledger's Joker. A lot. But I thought Hardy gave a good effort and charisma to Bane even though the character's resolution was just as abrupt as Two Face's was in the last movie.
    • Bane's voice was way better than he sounded in the trailers. Yeah, he sounded like Gandalf talking into an office fan, but at least I understood him. In general I think Nolan's instincts must just stink when it comes to the voices of these characters.
    • Hathaway's Selina Kyle was good, and I did see an arch for her. I think this was a better role than the one Michelle Pfeiffer had in Batman Returns honestly, but I also think it was downplayed to the point that she didn't have near as much presence as Pfeiffer had either. I might take **** for this, but I wonder if Natalie Portman turned this part down before it went to Hathaway. It felt oddly like it would have been a better fit for her. Don't tell me she's too short, I've seen how short Hardy is and they made him look ginormous.
    • I didn't like that Michael Caine is absent for pretty much the whole second half of the movie. We don't even get to see him reacting to the events! It was too much of a desertion for him, I didn't believe the character would do that.
    • The audience exploded with cheers when they learned Blake's "real" name at the end. They also cheered and applauded on that last shot as he entered the cave. I think they ought to consider doing a Borne Legacy with this one and making a Nightwing movie before rebooting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt shines very brightly in this one too, I think he's ready to be the headline action star. Now watch him totally blow it now that I've said that.
    • The time frame was weird in this movie. Dent has been dead 8 years, and Batman claims he's retired and yet it looks like he's been Batman for at least several of those years because Wayne Manor and the Bat Cave weren't done being rebuilt when Dent died. It felt like we missed a movie that ended with Batman retiring and that gave him the limp he's got when this movie starts. Built in "mid-quel" perhaps?
    • Not totally this movie's fault, but God have I grown to hate that Rachel character! They've turned Batman into a pining sad sack, hung up on this girl who never once acted like she was in love with him. Nolan seems to excel at unrequited love, and it is kind of painful to see Batman still mourning a woman who was too dumb to choose him (I know, love is blind). I don't dislike women or anything, but when even I am glad a character gets blown and her last words--in this case a final insulting rejection--are burned, you know something isn't right. I wanted to cheer for Bruce and Selina, although I didn't get nearly enough of them together. They try for chemistry, but it doesn't quite stick. I still suspect they had Portman in mind for this part.
    • Finally, yes, I'll say it, I liked Avengers a lot more. I also liked Amazing Spider-Man about as much, although I did think this was striving for very deep themes and that was commendable. It also wasn't the slow long sad downer I'd heard some people say it was though. It's a different take from Avengers on a super hero and that's fine. I am turned off by the tone of the Man of Steel trailer though--I don't like this being DC's umbrella approach to their heroes at all.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 21, 2012 at 04:32pm.

I agree with a great deal of what you say, gbagok. Rachel Dawes is just too prominent a character but I understand that she is pivotal to Nolan's 'reverse engineering' of Batman. Nolan seems to say "all the comics and mythology are one thing, but what would this guy be like in reality?"
    'Batman Begins' was truly intriguing because it followed the journey a man would take to deliberately transform himself into a legend but I feel too much was done by other people.
    If you take the comics and even recent Arkham video games, Batman creates his own gadgets, does his own detective work and outwits as well as beats up his enemies. Where the heck was any of that in the Nolan Batman films? In Begins, Rachel helps dig up info, in Dark knight, Rachel and Harvey do the digging while the police assist/hinder. Batman just pops up to menace or intimidate. In 'Rises' I felt that even character arcs became ponderous - 'Rises' didn't have the bravery to carry Catwoman's ambiguous sexuality through for example.
    In any case, I agree, Bane as played by Tom Hardy was an utter revelation - I think we've found our movie Keldor/ Skeletor!
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    'Rises' didn't have the bravery to carry Catwoman's ambiguous sexuality through for example.
    Has Selina Kyle ever been said to be bi? I know Holly Robinson is gay(who I'm assuming was the character in TDKR played by Juno Temple), but I'm not sure where Nolan fell short on Catwoman's sexuality when I don't think it's ever been an issue before in the comics.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Just got back from the theater. Really enjoyed this movie, I'll miss Nolan's Gotham.

I've heard a lot of people saying its the least interesting of the three... I agree, i suppose, but I honestly didn't expect it to outdo the others. After the origin, and Batman's greatest villain being portrayed so well, it had a lot to live up to. That being said, I still think it was a fine piece of work, and a nice way to end this franchise.

The moments when Batman returns, both at the beginning post-retirement and the end after the breaking of the bat got me. And although I had a hunch that she was Talia (based on a lot of early spoilers months ago) I was caught off guard by her being the kid that made the climb. Maybe it was obvious to others, but I thought it was a nice bit of a twist.

Didn't get to see it in IMAX, so I probably be heading back to the theater in the next week or so

I saw the flick and enjoyed it a lot. I think it might be my favorite of the 3 films, but it has been awhile since I've seen the other two. Bane's voice kind of reminded me of Sean Connery. I'm still not the greatest fan of how Bale speaks when he is Batman. Other than that, no real complaints.

About that ending...

I've heard a couple of reviewers say the ending might be meant to be open ended like Inception and Alfred could just be imaging things, but I disagree. They talk about the autopilot getting fixed in the film, so it seems clear that Wayne just wanted to give the appearance of Batman's death so he could move on. Also, there is really no good reason why Alfred would envision Bruce with Selina.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    So I saw it again today and found it to be even more enjoyable than before. I even noticed things I had not noticed before, which was a bonus. It still has some flaws, but that is just how it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Has Selina Kyle ever been said to be bi? I know Holly Robinson is gay(who I'm assuming was the character in TDKR played by Juno Temple), but I'm not sure where Nolan fell short on Catwoman's sexuality when I don't think it's ever been an issue before in the comics.
    Selina and Holly having a relationship of sorts has been done before. I'm pretty sure it was in Year One you saw them acting like a couple. Plus there have been a few comics showing such, especially the first time (I think) Holly died.

BTW, I noticed that when Bruce pulls up Selina's picture on his computer, it mimicks one of the comic covers from a few years back. That was pretty neat. I also thought Hathaway was excellent and I loved how her cat ears were actually night vision goggles.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.